1+1 method of length retention ?

ImFrotastic

Hello there,

So I just did a bootleg length check and to say that I am not thrilled with my length retention would be an understatement. I protective styled a lot the past year and saw boat loads of new growth and yet my length has barely budged. :-(

I think the culprit is take down after long term ps'ing. I attributed this much
hair loss to naturally being a heavy shedder but hmmm perhaps that is not the case.

Long story short, I am going to try something totally different and would love your input and perhaps your participation. Usually, I would keep my hair in braids/twists (about 80 strands) for 1 to 3 months at a time. With what I'm calling the 1+1 method :grin:

Month 1:
I plan to start out with the usual 80 strands

Month 2:
I will take down 2 side by side strands, finger detangle both and combine them into 1 new strand. (I will now be left with 40 strands of braids/twists)

Month 3:
I will repeat the above. (I will now be left with 20 strands of braids/twists)

My hope is ultra low manipulation (finger detangling as opposed to combing out monthly) + protective styling + being left with bigger strands to comb out at the end of month 3 = amazing growth and retention.

So...umm... does this make sense to any one else besides me? Lol. Would this just be an exercise in futility? Anyone up to trying this next month?

Subscribe

Hello,

Going to throw out a few random questions....

Are braids considered a protective style?

Braids cause stress on the strands, has this been a proven method for you?

What hair products would you use while in braids?

Victoria44

That sounds like a good idea. What was your take down routine originally?

I've noticed that a lot of ppl who are struggling with length retention but do long term protective styling may get great growth, and take care of their hair while in the style, but the take down is what kills them every time. No one likes to sacrifice time to be a little more gentle but sometimes it's very necessary.

For me I had to let go of the comb like you, and it definitely helped! I also limit my protective styles to 6-8 weeks.

Last edited:

Austro-Afrikana

ImFrotastic I consider braids to be the best protective and low manipulation style but they can be damaging. The key to getting great retention in braids is to keep your hair well moisturised and strengthened - take down should not be an issue if the hair is well cared for whilst braided. I also would never keep braids in for longer than 2 months. Have you ever thought of trying the crown & glory method for braids? I have a link to the challenge in my siggy.

ImFrotastic

Subscribe, I noticed that I lose much more hair with braiding then with twists so I'll braid for a few revolutions first and then twist the rest of the way.

Every other month I go completely product free and water only and my twisted hair responds very well to this. When I do use products, I use AVJ or water and a leave-in. (I stopped sealing with oil b/c all of a sudden any oil started irritating my scalp)

Victoria44, I'd wash my hair first and then take down the braids or twists the following day. I remove shed hair first and then comb it out in sections.

I usually keep twists in for at least 2 months b/c this is what happens.
Minus the 1 inch I purposely left out all of this is new growth. I've gained similar growth at least 3x over 2013 so for me to do an end of year length check and retain less than that is perplexing.

Thank you for the link Austro-Afrikana, I will check it out.