Long Hair Care Forum
Home Rules Feature Of The Month !! SUBSCRIBE !! Reviews iSpy Blogs Groups Contact Us

Go Back   Long Hair Care Forum > Long Hair Care Forum's Discussion Boards > Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion

User Tag List

Unread 06-19-2006, 10:36 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Cheryl Burton of ABC Speaks on Transitioning

Did any of you see the segment ?

I almost .....

She stated how African American women are deciding to go natural. She looked very uncomfortable during the segment. Almost as if, she may decide to go natural....

I am happy that it was on the news because corporate america needs to understand our plight ( yeah...like they really care ). However the attitude of corporate....I don't know if it will ever change.

All of the information is suppositly on the abc7chicago.com site. I can't find it yet. Maybe they haven't put it on-line as of yet.

What do you all think of this ???

Last edited by Blacktresses; 06-20-2006 at 06:43 PM.
Unread 06-19-2006, 10:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thumbs up Re: Cheryl Burton of ABC Speaks on Transitioning

PLEASE let us know when it is posted on the site. ALSO can you provide a link because I would LOVE to seet this segment.

Thanks,

Sindeee
Unread 06-19-2006, 11:35 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default Re: Cheryl Burton of ABC Speaks on Transitioning

bumping for all to see ...

Unread 06-20-2006, 12:10 AM

Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

Thanks for posting about this story, Blacktresses!

It's available, now.

"Returning to Roots"

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/
Unread 06-20-2006, 12:46 AM

Angry Re: Cheryl Burton of ABC Speaks on Transitioning

Shame on Hampton University for promoting that nonsense! No cornrows, dreadlocks nor long braids for MBA students b/c it's not professional nor corporate!?! Bravo to Susan Taylor for refusing to speak there due to that absurd policy.
Unread 06-20-2006, 06:44 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)

I heard about this the other day ,but I thought it was old news I didn't know this was recent.
Unread 06-20-2006, 07:21 AM

Tagged: 5 Thread(s)

Thank you for sharing this information. I thought it was a decent, balanced report. It certainly is timely, as the reporter brought in several different points to speak to the issue of ethnic hairstyles in the mainstream workplace, e.g., the Hampton University policy, the Six Flags policy, etc. She spoke to long-time career folks (the doc w/dreads) and the newly-graduated accountant with the BAA.... Cool! And India's song worked well for the segment as well.

Actually, it says a lot that this ABC network affilliate in one of the larger media markets would actually do this story. That means people are beginning to talk about this issue in a more intelligent, curious way.

It's all good!
Unread 06-20-2006, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktresses
She stated how African American women are deciding to go natural. She looked very uncomfortable during the segment. Almost as if, she may decide to go natural....
I didn't think she looked uncomfortable per se, but I did think that she might consider taking the natural plunge one day... almost like she was startled and surprised that she might actually consider doing so! LOL!

And at the end of the segment, it looked like she took special attention to make sure that flip was as fluffly and coiffed as it could be! Ha! (I'm being a smart-aleck! LOL!) Her hair was pretty!
Unread 06-20-2006, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

SHAME! SHAME! SHAME! on Hampton . I am truly shocked that Hampton has such a policy.
Unread 06-20-2006, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)

I saw the segment last night. I thought it was decent. The irony is that ABC is owned by Disney.......how timely this story was considering the recent story in the Washington Post.

I think Cheryl's hair is awful. It use to be pretty. I watch her nightly and I actually thought she was going natural. Many nights her roots are clearly showing under her weave/wig.
Unread 06-20-2006, 09:42 AM

i thought it was very well done and informative
Unread 06-20-2006, 09:45 AM

Thanks for posting this.

I went through this back and forth conflict in my head for the first 2 years I was working for my company out of college. I wanted to put braid extensions in my hair. I decided to just jump in and do it about 1 year ago, and see what reactions I got. I was fairly surprised, they like it! My direct boss actually loves my braids! Since then I've braided my hair 2 times (wearing a set right now). I haven't experienced any kind of discrimination. I know it exists though.

I have gotten a comment from one of the owners of my company that he likes my "natural" hair better (which to him is actually my relaxed hair).

My boyfriend has dreadlocks and works in for an investment firm. His dreads are small neat and about APL. He wears his hair in a low ponytail to work. He did have to go on several interviews though before getting this job. This job was the best one though and the best paying anyway!

(BTW I work in corporate America for a very close business partner of IBM)
Unread 06-20-2006, 10:33 AM

I thought the report was very well balanced and informative.

As for Hampton University, I'm not sure where I stand as far as their policy on how their students wear their hair is concerend, but I agree with the young accountant, who said that she believes this policy is in place because the school wants to make sure that their student's success is not hindered due to how they wear their hair.
Unread 06-20-2006, 10:44 AM
patient1

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Often OUR fears and judgments about hair are the issue. We need to stop our attempts to read others and minds. And making life decisions based on the perceptions (real or imagined) of another race must definitely cease.

Just as we let our excellence silence any doubts that our race is a limitation so too with our hair.

My brother, a patent lawyer, started his locs when he was fresh out of law school. He went on to rep his firm for almost 3 years while on assignment in Japan. He now rocks a mohawk.

My little sister was hired out of college to work in an exclusive ALL-WHITE school district...as the ONLY Black teacher. Her locks were already down her back when she was hired. When she transferred to L.A. she was hired at one of the better schools in this district. She is in a doctorate program, is finishing the national board process, and is in a principal internship program. All with now waistlength locks (which she is in the process of unlocking).

Said all this to say...hair neither hires you or fires you. These need not be the exceptions but can be the RULE once we step boldly. What you believe, you will reap. My siblings step into interviews believing they will be hired.

Fry it, dye it, relax it, texlax it, loc it, fro it....but do it for YOU.

p1
Unread 06-20-2006, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 31 Thread(s)

Thank so much. I will add the sites posted at the bottom to my favorites.

I had a job once, where all they ever saw were braids.
Unread 06-20-2006, 11:18 AM

Thumbs up Re: Cheryl Burton of ABC Speaks on Transitioning

Quote:
Originally Posted by patient1
Exactly!!!
Unread 06-20-2006, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)

Quote:
Often OUR fears and judgments about hair are the issue. We need to stop our attempts to read others and minds. And making life decisions based on the perceptions (real or imagined) of another race must definitely cease.

Just as we let our excellence silence any doubts that our race is a limitation so too with our hair.

My brother, a patent lawyer, started his locs when he was fresh out of law school. He went on to rep his firm for almost 3 years while on assignment in Japan. He now rocks a mohawk.

My little sister was hired out of college to work in an exclusive ALL-WHITE school district...as the ONLY Black teacher. Her locks were already down her back when she was hired. When she transferred to L.A. she was hired at one of the better schools in this district. She is in a doctorate program, is finishing the national board process, and is in a principal internship program. All with now waistlength locks (which she is in the process of unlocking).

Said all this to say...hair neither hires you or fires you. These need not be the exceptions but can be the RULE once we step boldly. What you believe, you will reap. My siblings step into interviews believing they will be hired.

p1

I totally agree with this!
Unread 06-20-2006, 01:26 PM

Thanked 5,756 Times in 1,343 Posts
Mentioned: 74 Post(s)

Quote:

p1

I completely agree. Stop acting like pick and ninnie to the man.
Unread 06-20-2006, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 15 Thread(s)

Quote:

p1
ITA! Great Point!
Unread 06-20-2006, 04:41 PM

Thanked 10,624 Times in 1,777 Posts
Mentioned: 342 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)

Ummm, was the clip of the black folks doing the electric slide necessary?