What are the benefits of taking Flaxseed oil?

mblake8

sunshyne_krissy said:
I see a LOT of yall are taking flaxseed oil. Why do you take it/how much a day/do you ever apply it directly to your scalp????

:confused:
I dont take it for my hair. I read on naturalcures.com that flaxseed oil helps prevent breast cancer.

Tene

FLAXSEED

Flaxseed is used throughout the world for food, medicine, and fiber to make clothes and many other consumer goods products. Historically, flaxseed has been used in connection with a number of conditions including heart disease and has been used as an anti-inflammatory agent for a number of other conditions as well.

Health Benefits of Flaxseed Oil

It is believed that flaxseed oil offers a myriad of health benefits through supplementation. Recent research indicates that flaxseed oil may have the ability to reduce blood pressure, lower levels of harmful cholesterol, offer both estrogen-like and anti-estrogenic effects, and is being studied for its ability to protect against cancer.

In animal studies and small human studies, flaxseed produced low but identifiable reductions in low-density lipoproteins, the "bad" type of cholesterol. The results of another animal study using flaxseed oil indicated a small decrease in blood pressure. Unfortunately, to date these finding have not been proven with human studies.

Flaxseed exhibits some estrogen-like effects as well as possible anti-estrogenic effects, both of which have been studied for possible protection against certain types of breast and prostate cancers. However, when these effects were tested in several laboratory studies and a few human studies, the results were inconclusive. In some of the studies, flaxseed products appeared to prevent or delay cancer, while in other research the incidence and/or progression of cancer seemed to be increased. Additional studies are underway to assess further the effects of flaxseed and flaxseed oil on breast and prostate cancers and on menopausal symptoms.

More recently, flaxseed has been studied for its potential to prevent kidney damage in individuals who have an autoimmune condition known as systemic lupus erythematous (SLE). Some evidence from animal studies and human case reports supports the use for SLE, but more studies are needed before flaxseed can be recommended for this use.

Flaxseed oil can be applied externally to soften dry skin. Also for skin application, a poultice can be created by mixing whole or crushed flaxseed with about three times as much hot water as the amount of flaxseed and then letting the mixture stand until it makes a thick gel. A soft cloth is then covered with the gel, possibly heated, and applied to an aching or injured area of skin surface.

Dosage and Administration

As flaxseed is also a common food product, it can be ground or crushed and added to beverages, breads, and other baking products. Also available are flaxseed powder-filled capsules. Flaxseed oil comes in soft capsules or as a liquid, which both must be protected from heat and light.

For use as a laxative, mix one tablespoonful in water and take two or three times daily. Since flaxseed swells when it mixed with fluids, make sure to use at least 8 ounces of water for each tablespoonful of flaxseed to prevent intestinal blockage.

Alternatively, one to three tablespoons of flaxseed oil can be used per day as a laxative by adding it to food such as breads, salads, meals, or beverages. Note: Do not heat flaxseed oil as heat diminishes its nutritional value.

When taking flaxseed to combat high cholesterol, take 40 to 50 grams (approximately three tablespoons) of flaxseed or one to three tablespoons of flaxseed oil daily or as suggested by the manufacturer's label.

NOTE: Flaxseed oil sold for planting, painting, or other purposes should not be used as a supplement, additive, or external application for the body.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is FlaxSeed Oil ?

FlaxSeed Oil is also known as Linseed Oil. FlaxSeed is a blue flowering plant that is grown on the Western Canadian Prairies for its oil rich seeds. FlaxSeed oil is highly recommended for the general well being, whole body nutrition and helps in restoring body's natural balance of good and bad prostaglandins.

FlaxSeed Oil is considered to be nature's richest source of omega-3 fatty acids that are required for the health of almost all body systems. Flax Seed Oil contains omega-6 and omega-9 essential fatty acids, B vitamins, potassium, lecithin, magnesium, fiber, protein, and zinc.

Several scientific studies show that consumption of omega-3 oils leads to a substantially lower risk of death from coronary heart disease. Until recently, experts believed the best sources of omega-3 were fish oils. However, flax seed oil contains twice as much omega-3 essential fatty acids as fish oil products, without the fishy aftertaste. Some nutritionists, researchers, and scientists believe that it could be the most important health-promoting supplement next to a multi-vitamin.

Some of the Benefits of FlaxSeed Oil are as under:

Researchers found low incidences of breast cancer and colon cancer in populations that have high amounts of Lignan in their diet. Lignan are molecules with anti-cancer, anti-viral, and anti-bacterial properties. Flax seeds are the richest source of lignans. Diets high in lignans can lead to a lower chance of getting colon, prostate, and breast cancer. Flax is 100 times richer in lignan than most whole grains.

Studies show that Omega-3 fatty acids help lower cholesterol and blood triglycerides, and prevent clots in arteries, which may result in strokes, heart attacks and thromboses.

Flax seed oil helps protect the body against high blood pressure, inflammation, water retention, sticky platelets and lowered immune function.

It shortens recovery time for fatigued muscles after exertion and increases the body's production of energy and stamina.

Flax seed oil accelerates the healing of sprains and bruises.

Flax Seed Oil eases weight loss in people afflicted with obesity. Stimulates brown fat cells and increases the metabolic rate making it easier to burn off fat.

Flax Seed Oil improves the absorption of Calcium, strengthening of fingers and toenails as well as an improved eyesight and perception of colors.

Flax Seed Oil can relieve some cases of asthma and alleviate some allergies.

Flax seed oil is helpful in the treatment of Eczema, Psoriasis, and Dandruff.

Flax Seed Oil can relieve the symptoms of Rheumatoid Arthritis and Diabetes Mellitus.

Flax Seed Oil helps in the prevention of Atherosclerosis and in the treatment of Multiple Sclerosis.

Flax Seed Oil helps in improving the behavior of Schizophrenics and in some cases the depression patients.

Flax Seed Oil can provide relief in some cases of Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) in females.

Flax Seed Oil also helps in a better liver function.

Last edited:

filthyfresh

I take the gel capsules, 1000 mg per pill, once a day. I just started three days ago so I can't really tell if anything's going on. I've also heard that it separates the bad fats from the good fats in your body. LL Cool J takes it and claims that's what helps keep him looking sexy.

sunshyne_krissy

These are all nice facts but what about hair? What makes people so drawn to it for hair? Is it just softness or overall hair health? And what about directly on the scalp or ends? Please help!

Tene

It nourishes your hair and scalp, makes your hair grow, and helps with dryness, etc.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
filthyfresh said:
LL Cool J takes it and claims that's what helps keep him looking sexy.

I saw that on tv! That's the reason I started taking them religiously!:lol: He said it helps your body get rid of the bad fats. I eat a lot of bad fats so I need all the help I can get.:lachen:

MizaniMami

Bumping,

Do any of your flaxseed takers notice oily skin!

I already have oily skin and I am thinking this may be a nightmare for me!

sharkiee00

sharkiee
Well I began taking flaxseed oil pills, betacarotene, and B50 complex about a week ago. I read in a vitamin book that flaxseed helps those with seborrhic dermatitis and psoraisis. I have seborrhic and that is the reason why I stopped relaxing besides the fact that I wanted to go natural. Seborrhic is when your scalps glands overproduce oil and scalp faster than you can get rid of it. Making extra crusty scalp. Looks like real bad dandruff. I had been to the dermatologist. Tried the vinegar washes and nothing really worked. They try to give you these medicines that just don't work. So I decided to take the vitamin role, and I really believe that the flax is what made my problem go away, in days. I truly believe that vitamins are the 1st route to take and if they don't work then go to the doctors.

star

MizaniMami said:
Bumping,

No my skin is the same but more healthy since using it. Flaxseed is anti-inflammatory which helps with controling acne. Flaxseed is consider a good oil for so many things as already stated but it helps with skin which means it feeds the hair.

ayoung

MizaniMami said:
Bumping,

My skin isn't more oily--but it is moisturized and supple. I have been using for about 1 week and luv it. It's crazy--but it's like I almost don't even need lotion. A keeper for me--I like it better than evening primrose.