SINGING PRAISES OF MSM/SILICA/FLAXSEED/SULFUR OIL

Nanyanika

Some of you may remember my distressing thread last year, regarding the condition of my newgrowth, which was seemingly dry and brittle, for a whole year. I could not be certain whether my hair was reacting due to a deficency, stress or scab hair. i also had increasing breakage/brittleness in the middle of my head. I tried deep conditioners and moisturizers and nothing could bring my hair back to a healthy condition. I must admitt that my diet/health condition had been poor for a long time and I failed to adequately supplement my diet. I began to search the forum for threads discussing successes of various vitamins on the hair/health. i came across msm posts, EFAs silica etc. Praise God, i took the advice on here I went out and purchased high quality vitamins, I also purchased sulfur powder and mixed it with oils to replace MTG within two weeks my newgrowth softened, i have no britteleness, i have less shedding/breakage my hair is growing faster and it is helping to imprive my health. I wanted to say thank you LHCF for all the support and advice, i couldn't have overcome this hurdle without you all.

Healthb4Length

Yeah DEN! I am happy you have found something that works for your beautiful hair! Please tell, do you measure the amount of sulfur powder that you put in your oil concoction or do you just pour in a small amount? Does the concoction have any smell at all?

Nanyanika

Alli77 said:
Yeah DEN! I am happy you have found something that works for your beautiful hair! Please tell, do you measure the amount of sulfur powder that you put in your oil concoction or do you just pour in a small amount? Does the concoction have any smell at all?
Hi Alli7, i really love my sulfur oil cocoction better than MTG, whicvh left my hair feeling coarser and drier despite the growth results, and it doesn't smell like bacon fat, in fact you can't smell anything. My hair grows fast with my own oil. I use my empty 32OZ mtg bottle for good measure....i fill the bottom about half an inch full of sulfur powder and fill the remainder with natural oils. the best are jojoba oil, olive oil, coconut oil, right to the top of the bottle. give it a good shake leave it for a day or two so that it can dissolve a bit, then its ready to be applied to the scalp or hair.

amy1234

Congrats! it's interesting that you formed your own sulfor oil mix. I'm wondering if you can crush msm pills as a substitute of sulfur and use it to make a sulfur/oil combo, since msm is made up of mostly sulfur ?

Nanyanika

*Dee* said:
Congrats! it's interesting that you formed your own sulfor oil mix. I'm wondering if you can crush msm pills as a substitute of sulfur and use it to make a sulfur/oil combo, since msm is made up of mostly sulfur ?
Thanks Dee, i use the exact same yellow coloured sulfur powder as in MTG, The one i use is a yellow kind called Baldwins Sulphur Powder. http://www.baldwins.co.uk/perl/go.pl/shop/adv-search-results.html
I'm rejoicing because i get better results. My formula is natural without the petrolatum and other unnatural additives.

Last edited:

LuvLiLocks

Congratulations on your success Den1! I have been considering making my on MTG as well using sulphur/msm/oils, so I'm happy to hear your great reviews.

blac_quarian

Been here from long time
Hi Den, and congratulations on getting back on track with your hair. I checked out your photos and you appear to be very dedicated to this hair journey and the results are smashing! The sulfur that you purchased from Baldwin's - does it come in a particular strength? Is there even a choice? I would like to follow your example and make an alternative version of MTG using your recipe. I also had read on another thread that you can actually purchase the powder from the pharmacy counter; do you know if this would be identical the Baldwin's?...

Nanyanika

LuvLiLocks said:
Congratulations on your success Den1! I have been considering making my on MTG as well using sulphur/msm/oils, so I'm happy to hear your great reviews.
When your ready give it a try, I guarantee that you won't be disappoinbted i was a little apprehensive at first when i decided to attempt making my own MTG replica, I was conerned that I was going to waste money, if it didn't work. I'm so happy I gave in, i remember looking through Nurse's Album and looking at her growth pictures, resulting from creating her homemade sulfur oil, she really helped me make my final decision.

Nanyanika

blac_quarian said:
Hi Den, and congratulations on getting back on track with your hair. I checked out your photos and you appear to be very dedicated to this hair journey and the results are smashing! The sulfur that you purchased from Baldwin's - does it come in a particular strength? Is there even a choice? I would like to follow your example and make an alternative version of MTG using your recipe. I also had read on another thread that you can actually purchase the powder from the pharmacy counter; do you know if this would be identical the Baldwin's?...
Thank-you, yes i am extremely diligent with my routine, i do not want to slack i remember all too well how much i have suffered through this journey, I thank God that all the sorrow is all over and now i'm receiving great results. The sulfur i orrdered from Baldwins does not come in strengths other than different measurements of powder. I think you should be able to purchase this yellow kind of sulfur from a pharmacy, which would be the same kind i use from baldwins.

Blaque*Angel

Den 1, i hope you will continue to be happy with your beautiful, thick, wavy, soft, long hair ;)
You have really helped me out!
MSM is the truth...i was taking holland and baretts 1000 first(for 2months) i really like it.
I now have gone onto the one you reccomend which i think is good too, my hair texture has changed , it is now very soft! i cannot even figure out my hair type...maybe 4A?:look:

HHG

Nanyanika

wantlonghealthyhair said:
Den 1, i hope you will continue to be happy with your beautiful, thick, wavy, soft, long hair ;)
You have really helped me out!
MSM is the truth...i was taking holland and baretts 1000 first(for 2months) i really like it.
I now have gone onto the one you reccomend which i think is good too, my hair texture has changed , it is now very soft! i cannot even figure out my hair type...maybe 4A?:look:

HHG
Thank-you, i never will stop using my supplements, my texture has also changed, it more a type 3 now, which i had when i was a little girl, somehow it changed to a type 4 over the years. I tried the HB brand too, but it wasn't that great. New horizions is the best because it is pure and distilled. Let me know how you progress with the new brand of msm.

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
Congratulations! I'm glad you found the right combo to work for you.
I have a question though, is New Horizons MSM a UK brand or did you get it online. I'm looking for another one because the one I have is bitter and I actually want to start taking it again for my achy knees.

Anywho, I'm glad everything is progressing nicely for you. :)

Nanyanika

nurseN98 said:
Congratulations! I'm glad you found the right combo to work for you.
I have a question though, is New Horizons MSM a UK brand or did you get it online. I'm looking for another one because the one I have is bitter and I actually want to start taking it again for my achy knees.

Anywho, I'm glad everything is progressing nicely for you. :)
Thank-you, I orderd new horizions pure crystal flakes msm from they're uk site. If you click on this link you will find the US price lists. also its free shipping, not sure about US customers though. http://almsm.co.uk/ HTHs Den1

Candy_C

Hey Den! i would take these but i'm scared of overdoing it on the vitamins. i already take flax, b50 complex an a-z and biotin. how will you know if your overdoin it?

aquarian1252004

Congratulations Den, I have always admired your hair throughout your journey :) you have got my PJ spidey sense itching :scratchch I think I am going to steal your idea and create my own sulfur oil solution. I just need to find a company that sells just as good of a sulfur powder that you get in the UK here in the US <open to your suggestions>

Ladylynn

Is MSM Sulfur powder the same as sulfur powder? I have seen MSM sulfur powder at puritans pride and they are running a sale.

Nanyanika

Candy_C said:
Hey Den! i would take these but i'm scared of overdoing it on the vitamins. i already take flax, b50 complex an a-z and biotin. how will you know if your overdoin it?
I think you should be okay, however if you decide to try the MSM email me and i will tell you a suitable dosage to start off with. I also take biotin and silica, and have no adverse effects, but i also have a bad diet so these vitamins are very much needed for my health. MSM works as a detoxifier and is safe non-toxic mineral, it is as harmless as water, it is vital to drink lots of water to flush the body of toxins. Here is some imoprtant information bout msm

Health benefits

MSM or Methylsulfonylmethane is a nutrient, a normal metabolite, or by-product of dimethylsulfoxide, better known as DMSO.

Scientific research has shown that MSM:

provides flexibility and porosity to cell walls
scavenges free radicals
relieves allergies to foods and pollens
helps the liver produce choline
controls acidity in stomach and ulcers
can coat the intestinal tract to prevent parasites adhesion
helps with hypersentitivity to drugs
increases the body's ability to produce insulin
has an important role in carbohydrate metabolism
has been shown to speed wound healing
Product description
How to use

If you are using capsules:

Start taking 1 MSM capsule twice daily per 30 pounds of body weight.
Take with meals or juice.
For optimum results, use in conjunction with a diet high in fresh fruits and vegetables. For accelerated results increase your intake as desired.
If you are using powder:

Start taking ¼ teaspoon of MSM powder twice daily per 60 pounds of body weight.
Take with meals or juice.
For optimum results, use in conjunction with a diet high in fresh fruits and vegetables. For accelerated results increase your intake as desired.
If you are using Torpedos tablets:

Take 1 Torpedo tablet twice daily per 60 pounds of body weight.
Torpedos tablets are easier to swallow and dissolve more quickly than capsules or conventional tablets.
Dosage:

MSM is no more toxic than water. Any excess of MSM in your system will stay in the bloodstream for 12 hours, removing toxins and cleaning the interior walls of arteries.

A single dose of MSM is usually not effective in ameliorating symptoms. Noticeable results are usually seen within 2-21 days.

The amount of MSM in each dose is not critical, daily dosages from 150-5000 mg per day may be ingested and put to work internally. However the benefit of MSM is enhanced when coupled with equal amounts of ascorbic acid and vitamin C.

MSM is found naturally in the human body (in the blood, and in the organs).
MSM has been detected in normal human urine
The natural level of MSM in the circulatory system of an adult human male is about 0.2 parts per million.
Normal human adults excrete from 4 to 11 mg of MSM per day in their urine.
In mammals, the concentration of MSM in the body's various storehouses decreases with age, possibly as a result of changing diet or body metabolism. Some research suggests that there is a minimum concentration of MSM that must be maintained in the body to preserve the normal function and structure.
Product description
Ingredients

MSM or Methylsulfonylmethane supplement facts:

Serving size MSM capsules: 1 capsule

Serving size MSM powder: ¼ teaspoon

Serving size MSM Torpedos tablets: 1 tablet

Amount per serving %DV
Capsules
MSM or Methylsulfonylmethane 500 mg *
Powder
MSM or Methylsulfonylmethane 1000 mg *
Torpedos tablets
MSM or Methylsulfonylmethane 99.99% *
Water 0.01% *
*Daily Value not established.

All MSM products are guaranteed pure without:

binders
fillers
artificial colors
flavors
preservatives
Other ingredients:

MSM capsules are made of gelatin

Product description
Caution

Keep away from small children.
MSM is useful and safe. The dosage ranges widely from 1 or 2 g daily up to 80 g daily.
Consult a physician first before consuming more than 80 g of MSM per day.
"A couple of grams a day would be a good general dosage," says Dr.Jacob. "I would be very careful in the 80 g (daily) range - that much is best used under the watchful eyes of a health professional."

One in five people may experience negative detoxification symptoms in the first 10 days during which toxins are flushed from the system. Symptoms may include:

Diarrhea
Skin rash
Possible headaches
Several days of fatigue
In general, the more intense the symptoms, the more toxins there are in the body, and the more MSM is needed for detoxification. To reduce toxic symptoms, if you suspect Candida or metals, it is advised to start with a lower dose of 750 mg, 2 times a day and build up to 3,000 mg twice a day.

Otherwise for a maximum benefit, it's recommended to use an initial "load" dose of 3,000 mg twice a day. After the initial treatment, physical energy levels should increase.

Product description
Shelf life and storage

Shelf life is up to 5 years (opened or unopened product)
Store in a cool and dry place
Product description
Why is this product so special?

What MSM is:

MSM or Methylsulfonylmethane is the third largest solid component found in the body, a pure white sulfur powder that comes from the ocean. MSM is a natural part of every cell function and is concentrated in the connective tissues of the skin, nails and hair.

MSM is a nutrient and a normal metabolite, or by-product of dimethylsulfoxide, better known as DMSO. Chemically, MSM is DMSO with one added, stabilizing atom of oxygen onto the sulfur, i.e., CH3SO2CH3.

MSM is a ubiquitous compound in the diet of all vertebrates. MSM and its precursors derive from vegetables, fruit, fish and meat. Interestingly, one of the richest sources of MSM in the diet of mammals is milk.

Industrial food refining and processing (heat or drying) remove MSM much in the same way as they deplete vitamins and minerals. MSM helps our bodies utilize the vitamins that we take, thereby providing the means to derive the maximum benefit from them.

MSM is a natural form of organic sulfur found in all living organisms, and is present in low concentrations in our body fluids and tissues. It is a natural component of many fresh fruits, vegetables, seafood and meat. It is also found in tea, coffee, chocolate and milk. However, unless your diet is composed primarily of raw foods, it is unlikely that you are receiving enough MSM for proper health management.

Yet, ironically while sulfur is clearly essential for health, it is not officially regarded as such by the US Academy of Sciences, which establishes nutritional recommendations for the FDA. In addition, sulfur, per se, has been one of the least researched nutritional minerals. Interest in MSM has grown tremendously however, over the last few years.

What MSM does:

MSM, an organic sulfur found in all living organisms is a non-toxic metabolite of dimethylsulfoxide or DMSO that delivers health and nutrition at biochemical levels. It detoxifies and increases immunity, flexibility and blood circulation. It provides flexibility and porosity to cell walls, allowing nutrition into the cell and toxins out of the cell.

Sulfur is a key component of connective tissues and joints, and is needed for enzyme activity, hormone balance, and function of the immune system. As a central component of collagen and connective tissue, sulfur assists the body in preventing inflammation and facilitating repair of connective tissues.

It is estimated that the human body uses up to about 1/8 teaspoon of MSM each day. It needs to be replaced on a regular basis. Good health practices involve replacing essential substances that our bodies naturally use up or lose through illness or abuse. For general use, MSM should be taken internally as a food supplement.

Sulfur has an important role in the body:

Sulfur is necessary for collagen synthesis. Collagen is an insoluble fibrous protein found in vertebrates (species with a backbone or a spinal cord) as the dominant component of connective tissue fibrils and bones.
Sulfur is involved in metabolic synthesis and is a metabolic catalyst with the B vitamins, thiamin, vitamin C, biotin and pantothenic acid.
This element is one of the most abundant in the body.
Sulfur is a component of amino acids (methionine, cysteine, taurine), vitamins (B1, biotin), hormones (insulin), coenzymes (coenzyme A) and antioxidants (glutathione, N-acetylcysteine, alpha lipoic acid).
Because sulfur is necessary to build disulfide bonds, which hold together tissues, it forms part of the body's physical structure, including protein, collagen, glucosamine, skin and nails.
MSM is therefore necessary for collagen synthesis in:

the skin
hair
nails
bones
muscles
organs
Consumption of MSM is known to:

soften tissues
relieve stress
relieve asthma
relieve arthritis
relieve inflammation
relieve constipation
relieve candida
detoxify the body
increase blood circulation
reduce muscle cramps and back pain
permit muscles to heal
increase energy
promote mental calmness
improve mental concentration
MSM as a therapeutic nutrient:

Many studies conducted under controlled conditions indicate that MSM may be a potent therapeutic agent. These include studies on:

Allergies
Breast cancer
Colon cancer
Energy
Hypersensitivity
Antiparasitism
Lupus
Scleroderma
Stomach acid
Arthritis
Breathing
Diabetes and hypoglycemia
Hyperacidity
Immune system
Interstitial cystitis
Muscle and joint pain
Snoring

Based on its growing use and positive anecdotal evidence, MSM is developing a strong following as an effective natural, over-the-counter remedy.

http://www.souzaoenterprises.com/MSM.html

Nanyanika

aquarian1252004 said:
Congratulations Den, I have always admired your hair throughout your journey :) you have got my PJ spidey sense itching :scratchch I think I am going to steal your idea and create my own sulfur oil solution. I just need to find a company that sells just as good of a sulfur powder that you get in the UK here in the US <open to your suggestions>
Thank-you!! girl you know want to try it, go on give into your "PJ spidey sense itching" lol it truly does work. You know me, when somethings not right i will post and moan to everyone about it. My hair was sooo brittle and rough, now through my sulfur oil concoction and persisting with MSM i can enjoy my hair again, i'm no longer miserable i am so happy i can stop feeling my hair even my texturized ends feels better. My advice is do a search online to find a natural products company, which sells herbs, oils just organic products and they should sell the yellow sulphur powder (external use only)not the white MSM sulfur for (external/internal). Purchase some natural oils to go along with the mix, i prefer coconut oil, jojoba oil, olive oil, you can also add vitamin E and/or EOs like rosemary, peppermint. When you get your ingredients together send me a PM and i'll give you the details of how to mix it, i also used a blender for mine to crush the powder down a little because it can clump to togetther a bit. good luck

carameldiva

Congradulations Den1- i have been following your progress for a long time and i am so glad that you are back on track. question- are you still using the afro detangler or not? also if not what did you find as a suitable replacement for this? Thanks.

czyfaith77

I don't mean to ask a silly question but, is the sulfur powder that you speak of the same as the the sulfur powder used to keep away chiggers(mite-like insects)? If so, we also use this type of powder in the warm weather seasons to keep away snakes (snakes detest the stuff!). I have been trying to do a search to see if there were different types of sulfur powders (i.e the one you speak here, the one used in chemistry classes,etc)or if they are the same. If all of these are the same then I have found big bags of this stuff at my local garden and seed store. I don't mean to sound silly :p but, I would just like some clarity. Thanks in advance!

Nanyanika

carameldiva said:
Congradulations Den1- i have been following your progress for a long time and i am so glad that you are back on track. question- are you still using the afro detangler or not? also if not what did you find as a suitable replacement for this? Thanks.
The afro detangler that you speak is it the one by Robin? if so, i only tried her sample of the product. I make my own homemade detangler and have been using it throughout my entire transition, i will never give up the mix. i tried s curl again recently however my homemade ingredients are far more potent.

ayoung

I think I will try your sulfur oil idea as well. MTG has gotten the best of me...can't take the smell ANY longer!

Thanks den, you are always helping me out (unbeknownst to you ;) ) in my natural hair journey!

carameldiva

den1 said:
The afro detangler that you speak is it the one by Robin? if so, i only tried her sample of the product. I make my own homemade detangler and have been using it throughout my entire transition, i will never give up the mix. i tried s curl again recently however my homemade ingredients are far more potent.

Thanks for your prompt response- can i just ask one more question?- Do you prefer thick or thin conditioners?

Nanyanika

czyfaith77 said:
I don't mean to ask a silly question but, is the sulfur powder that you speak of the same as the the sulfur powder used to keep away chiggers(mite-like insects)? If so, we also use this type of powder in the warm weather seasons to keep away snakes (snakes detest the stuff!). I have been trying to do a search to see if there were different types of sulfur powders (i.e the one you speak here, the one used in chemistry classes,etc)or if they are the same. If all of these are the same then I have found big bags of this stuff at my local garden and seed store. I don't mean to sound silly :p but, I would just like some clarity. Thanks in advance!
The question you have posed is reasonable. I an unaware that are certain sulphur powders actually used to deter pests lol. The Sulphur i bought comes from a natural health store and is the same yellow colour found in MTG which can only be used externally mixed with something else i use carrier oils. My advise is to search a natural stores and ask a few questions. If it helps i'll post this picture of the one i use.

Nanyanika

ayoung1981 said:
I think I will try your sulfur oil idea as well. MTG has gotten the best of me...can't take the smell ANY longer!

Thanks den, you are always helping me out (unbeknownst to you ;) ) in my natural hair journey!
Thank-you i'm happy to be of help. I hope you reap success with this formula let me know how you get on, if you decide to try it.

Nanyanika

carameldiva said:
Thanks for your prompt response- can i just ask one more question?- Do you prefer thick or thin conditioners?
I prefer medium to thick conditioners with lots of slip, i have a lot of hair and need good coverage. my current favourites are HERBAL ESSENCES, JOICO and VO5 whioch is a little more runny. I also recently purchased AO conditioners which seem pretty creamy and thick to me, i can't wait to try them when i take out my cornrows.

CurleeDST

Where do you purchase sulfur powder?

den1 said:
Hi Alli7, i really love my sulfur oil cocoction better than MTG, whicvh left my hair feeling coarser and drier despite the growth results, and it doesn't smell like bacon fat, in fact you can't smell anything. My hair grows fast with my own oil. I use my empty 32OZ mtg bottle for good measure....i fill the bottom about half an inch full of sulfur powder and fill the remainder with natural oils. the best are jojoba oil, olive oil, coconut oil, right to the top of the bottle. give it a good shake leave it for a day or two so that it can dissolve a bit, then its ready to be applied to the scalp or hair.

MissJ

That's awesome, den! I may have to try your concoction.

I wonder if this is the same kind of sulfur powder that my daddy uses to keep snakes off the porch. :scratchch: I'm going home tomorrow, so I may just have to steal some.

Last edited: