Steamer w/ Moist. Cond. After Hard Protein?

rawsilk

Does anyone do this? If so, what is your formula. I'm about to purchase my first steamer and looking forward to it but know that I need to get in a hard protein (Aphogee or Emergencee) treatment next weekend. I can't imagine purchasing a new hair toy and having to wait a whole week after it arives before trying it out so ... I'm trying to plan exactly how I will incorporate steam into my hard protein wash day.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
A few options:
protein treat on dry hair (rinse), cleanse (rinse), condition with steam (rinse), etc
or
cleanse (rinse), protein treat (rinse), condition with steam (rinse), etc

toaster

I agree. I would do the protein treatment on dry hair, rinse, and then steam with your moisturizing DC. I hate getting in and out of the shower so I try to do the first step on dry hair always.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
Let me preface that saying, I don't shampoo my hair while taking a shower (I use a shower hose to wash it outside of the shower).

But when I use protein, I use heat (dryer) with the protein first (about 30 minutes) after a poo. Then follow with a moisture conditioner with or without steam. I get great results with this.

Keep in mind, most hard proteins encourage the use of heat (via a dryer) so a steamer is NOT required.

rawsilk

When you steam post-protein, do you all use the moist. cond. that comes/goes with the hard protein -- e.g., Humectress for Emergencee, Aphogee 2nd Step, etc. or do use something else that is stronger, more moisturizing? I am thinking about trying Silicon Mix or Aussie 3 Min. Miracle. Also wondering: what are results when using a soft protein conditioner with the steamer. (In other words, since goal of steaming is moisturizing, does it make sense to apply a soft protein conditioner with the steamer as opposed to moisturizer?

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I prefer to do protein treatments on clean & clarified hair. I've done it a number of ways and for me it allows the protein treatment to penetrate my strands better. I just did a hard protein treatments a few weeks ago and these are the steps I took.
1) Clarified with ORS creamy aloe shampoo
2) Aphogee 2 step protein treatment
3) Steamed with Hairveda Moist 24/7 conditioner for 30 minutes then slept in it overnight
4)Next morning: Put hair in 2 braids to allow it to rest for a week. (Still without rinsing out the moisturizing conditioner...I let it turn into a leave in. lol)

Edited to list the products

Last edited:

rawsilk

Wow - week-long conditioning. Intense!
I prefer to do protein treatments on clean & clarified hair. I've done it a number of ways and for me it allows the protein treatment to penetrate my strands better. I just did a hard protein treatments a few weeks ago and these are the steps I took.
1) Clarified with ORS creamy aloe shampoo
2) Aphogee 2 step protein treatment
3) Steamed with Hairveda Moist 24/7 conditioner for 30 minutes then slept in it overnight
4)Next morning: Put hair in 2 braids to allow it to rest for a week. (Still without rinsing out the moisturizing conditioner...I let it turn into a leave in. lol)

Edited to list the products

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@rawsilk

I do it exactly like @mzteaze

I do my Protein Rx's (under the Dryer or Heat Cap)

Moisturizing DC'ers are always Steamed in. And I do them in the same Session.

Protein 1st (with dry heat) Moisture 2nd (with damp heat)