Let us talk allergies

Ogoma

I recently used a product I have used before and loved. My scalp was on fire. Had the fastest wash session I have ever had. I don't know why I reacted to it so hoping for tips to figure it out.

MayaNatural

The only product I had a bad reaction to is Curls Control Paste.. My edges and scalp was flaming red and itched terribly. I'm not sure what ingredient caused it but I will never use it again.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
Ogoma did you check to see if the ingredients changed? If so, what is the new offending ingredient?

Sent from my Speak & Spell using LHCF

Ogoma

The ingredients were all the same. I have used a number of times over the years. I have even left it in a few times. I had not used it for about a year before repurchasing last month.

RngdeCurls

Sadly, I'm allergic to avocado. I tried to use it as a hair masque and it made my scalp, ears and sides of my face itch like crazy. My ears were red for a few days after that.

BranwenRosewood

Shikakai. I tried to use it in a paste and my scalp was itching so bad I washed it out a minute later. I should have known I was allergic to it because I would always have a coughing fit when I transferred it from a box to a jar. It's the only ayurvedic powder that causes a bad reaction.

almond eyes

Coconut oil gives me bad whitehead acne!!!!!!!

I found out about two months later my face was inflammed with 500 hard bumps. It took accutane and five months for it all to clear up.

Best,
Almond Eyes

leona2025

Ugh every oil in the world. They break my face out. I have dry skin. Menthol. OMG. I found this out by accident. I tried several hair one conditioners and they all had menthol in them. My head was on fire. Not a tingling cooling feeling. On FIRE.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Sorry that happened to you Ogoma. Sounds like they may have changed the formula that year you werent using it?

Mine is Castor Oil and aloe, which sucks because they are most natural products :nono:

I was trying to massage the castor into my edges with a crochet install on. Couple days later, that turned into hives on my face, neck, back and anywhere I might have touched my hair then maybe my body. I had patches on my legs and belly too. At first I blamed in on the synthetic hair but had a repeat with human hair. I still have scars on my face and chin but they are fading :ohwell:

Aloe flares my eczema and causes my hair to break. So that's out too and in almost all natural products.

With either I can kinda get around the allergies. Example: my favorite petroleum grease product has castor and it doesnt bother me and actually smooths my skin tone when it gets on my face--but petrolatum is a heavy protective buffer. However, a liquid serum with castor will give me hives--no real buffer here. Aloe is OK-ish if its a rinse out. I can use shampoos with aloe but never a leave-in or styler.

Ogoma

Coconut oil gives me bad whitehead acne!!!!!!! I found out about two months later my face was inflammed with 500 hard bumps. It took accutane and five months for it all to clear up. Best, Almond Eyes

Coconut oil breaks me out instantaneously. Once it touches my face - acne.

faithVA

Sulfur. I bought an oil that people on the board raved about. Tried it my face was flaming red and burning. My mom said let it go. I thought it was just a bad batch.

Then I bought NJoy's growth oil. I did the patch test and everything was fine. I was fine for the first few days then had the same reaction. So I tried to spread it out. It didn't flame as much but you could feel it. Now as soon as I put it on my scalp my face tingles. And these tingles aren't the good kind :lol:

CeeLex33

Happy Healthy Hair!
Sadly, I'm allergic to avocado. I tried to use it as a hair masque and it made my scalp, ears and sides of my face itch like crazy. My ears were red for a few days after that.

Me too! I tried an avocado twisting cream and a few hours later my scalp was on fire!!! Super itchy and inflamed. It was awful!!! I've avoided anything that contains it since!

Ogoma

I wonder if it is the citrus oils. It had sweet orange and lemon essential oils in it. I use both in my face wash, but it obviously doesn't stay on for long.

My scalp was on fire. It was awful. I would really love to know, but don't think I would use that conditioner again.

CocoGlow

So far I've learned the hard way that I have to stay away from Sulfur, Orange Oil/Extract & Chamomile .. and be extra cautious of any of their relatives :lol: ...

Ladies don't sleep! If you find that you are allergic to something, especially these natural herbs, butters, oils, etc there are usually other ingredients in the same "family" that can cause you a problem :spinning:

jaiku

I have food allergies to coconut and sesame. I can sometimes use products with coconut oil if its highly processed. I usually test the product on my wrist. If It turns red or breaks out I leave it alone. I just usually avoid products with those ingredients.

overtherainbow

I am highly allergic to wheat and oat products, which is a bummer because it is in EVERYTHING. If a product has hydrolyzed wheat protein, or wheat germ, whatever, I would get awful migraines, vomit, and or faint. To make things easy, I stick to products that are certified gluten free.

hot_pepper96

When I found my hairstylist in 2009, I discovered that there was a list of common ingredients in alot of skin and hair care products that would cause a flare up of dermatitis on my skin. I've always known that I was allergic to perfurme and fragranced lotions (or things with a high alcohol content) but I never knew the base ingredients that were used in most perfurmes. My hairstylist used the Kerastase Oleo Relax line on my 3 weeks post relaxed hair and my fine, easily tangled hair came out like buttah. It was like I had a fresh relaxer. Three days later my scalp was on fire and I had patches of dermatitis on my scalp. I had to dose myself with Benadryl for a week for it to go away. I did research online and looked up the ingredients to the Kerastase products that were used and realized that some of the ingredients were common allergens. Please see the list below that I got from a website (the ones in bold are the ones you will see in so many products right now -L'oreal, Kerastase, Keracare):

■Amylcinnamic alcohol
■Anisyl alcohol
■Benzyl alcohol
■Benzyl salicylate
■Cinnamic alcohol
■Cinnamic aldehyde
Coumarin
Eugenol
Geraniol
Hydroxycitronellal
Isoeugenol
■Musk ambrette
■Oak moss absolute
Sandalwood oil
■Wood tars
■Balsam of Peru
■Cassia oil
■Cinnamon
■Cloves
Citronella candles
■Ethylene bassylate

You can also add linalool to the list. That is another popular one. You'll find that alot of brands are adding these chemicals to products now because it makes them smell good.

Last edited:

g.lo

I cant really pinpoint the actual ingredient(s), causing this, but when I apply products with strong smell ( hair, body, perfume), I end up with severe migraine. I can't use stuff form Lush, even walking near that shop affects me.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I wonder if it is the citrus oils. It had sweet orange and lemon essential oils in it. I use both in my face wash, but it obviously doesn't stay on for long.

My scalp was on fire. It was awful. I would really love to know, but don't think I would use that conditioner again.

Ogoma

This is me with certain products with Citrus Oil.:burning:

curlycrocheter

Shea butter. The first time I ever used it was on my stomach when I was pregnant. Everybody said it would keep the stretch marks at bay. Every time I put it on my stomach would ITCH! I just thought it was regular stretchy pregnancy itching.

Then I started using it in my hair a few years later and my head would itch.

Finally one day I scratched my head so bad I made it bleed :nono: I couldn't figure it out, but I soon realized it was the shea butter. Now anytime I use it I get soars in my head & it itches & burns like my head is on fire.

Once I was dating this guy & spent the night at his house. I took a shower & just grabbed his random body wash. It was after I was drying off & half way dressed that I realized there was shea in the body wash. That was an AWFUL reaction.

CocoGlow

^^ Yeah I forgot about Shea Butter .. if that stuff touches my face .. whew!
I hate the smell of it too so I avoid it if I can

Most people say that if you are allergic to Shea you must also be allergic to Latex ... I don't know if that's true or not though

Ogoma

^^ Yeah I forgot about Shea Butter .. if that stuff touches my face .. whew!
I hate the smell of it too so I avoid it if I can

Most people say that if you are allergic to Shea you must also be allergic to Latex ... I don't know if that's true or not though

I think it is true. Shea butter has a small concentration of latex in it and I think that is what people react to.

CodeRed

I used to be severly allergic to Vitamin E (ironic... kinda like getting hit by an ambulance lol) and could never use anything containing even a little bit... if I would put it on my arm, my arm would break out in a severe rash that would spread all over my arm, back, neck, chest and part of my abdomen. I think it's gotten better over the latter part of the decade though... if it's way down on a product list or another oil contains it, I don't have a reaction. I haven't tried to use pure vitamin in in a while though.