Nail Your Regimen Challenge 2014

faithVA

I originally hosted this in 2011 and after a set back have had to start all over.

Let's nail our regimens in 2014.

Tell us About You
Natural - Relaxed – Texturized/Texlaxed - Transitioning:
Current Length:
Current Products:
Current Techniques:
What in your regimen are trying to nail:
What's your starting strategy:
Anything else you want to share:

***Check in weekly/monthly to update us on your progress.

faithVA

Natural - Relaxed – Texturized/Texlaxed - Transitioning: Natural
Current Length:Between EL and Chin Length
Current Products:

Shampoo: Mudwash; I AM Cleansing Pudding; 4 Naturals Shampoo
Conditioner: AO Island Naturals
Leave-In: AIA Leave-in

Current Techniques:

Apply mudwash to scalp 30 minutes before shampoing
Shampoo with mudwash, cleansing pudding or shampoo
tea rinse
DC with heat for 30 minutes
apply leave-in
No set products or techniques after this

I want to nail moisturizing and sealing on wash days and in between wash days, both product and technique.
I want to nail sealing my ends.

1. I'm doing a comparison of leave-ins to determine the best leave-in(s) on wash day.
2. After completing step 1, I will try the moisturizers I have on hand trying LOC, LCO, LLC or some other combinations
3. Will continue trying different spritz combinations for hydration

Last edited:

Ogoma

I will join you here faithVA

I think I have my regimen down for the most part. I keep tweaking little things, but I have a good routine going. I am trying to narrow my products down to one or two in each category. I want to get into making products for my family to use, but want to have things to use for my hair while I make mistakes and get it right.

I am signed up for cold, hot, and liquid soap making, and bath product classes in the new year. Once I am done those, I will migrate to hair stuff. Susan from the Point of Interest blog teaches classes locally on hair products and body stuff as well as a 6 hour class on knowing your oils. I am just waiting for the new years schedule so I can register. I am taking this seriously. :lol:

faithVA

[USER=334345 said:
Ogoma[/USER];19343893]I will join you here faithVA

I think I have my regimen down for the most part. I keep tweaking little things, but I have a good routine going. I am trying to narrow my products down to one or two in each category. I want to get into making products for my family to use, but want to have things to use for my hair while I make mistakes and get it right.

I am signed up for cold, hot, and liquid soap making, and bath product classes in the new year. Once I am done those, I will migrate to hair stuff. Susan from the Point of Interest blog teaches classes locally on hair products and body stuff as well as a 6 hour class on knowing your oils. I am just waiting for the new years schedule so I can register. I am taking this seriously. :lol:

So should I give you my list now or wait until you start class? :look:

Ogoma

Current Length
: BSB

Current Products
:
Shampoo/Co-Cleanser: Lush Fair Trade Honey Shampoo; Ouidad Curl CoWash; My Co-Cleansing Mix

Conditioners: CJ Smoothing Conditioner; Oyin Honey Hemp; Curl Junkie Repair Me; Bask Reparative Hair Soak; Trader Joe Tea Tree Tingle; Aussie 3 Minute Miracle; Giovanni 2Chic Moisture

Moisturizers/Creams/Butters: Darcy's Botanicals Transitioning Creme; Oyin Hair Dew; Komaza Califia/Aloe My Hair Cream

Gel/Gelly: Xtreme Gel; Lily of the Earth Aloe Vera Gelly

Oils: Meadowfoam seed; Fractionated Coconut; Broccoli seed; Passion fruit seed; Grape seed

Current Techniques:
- Weekly pre-treat with conditioner/oil & honey; co-cleanse with Ouidad or Co-Washing Mix; condition with moisture conditioner; oil & rinse to spread oil evenly with mix of oils; moisturize with Oyin Hair Dew or DB Transitioning Creme; seal with Komaza Cream & AVG; stretch and/or style

- Co-wash mid week with Oyin Honey Hemp/TJ TTT, and oil rinse, moisturize, seal, and style as above

- 1x a month Kalpi Tone ayurvedic gloss; clarify with Lush Fair Trade Honey Shampoo; deep condition with moisture or protein (alternate); and oil rinse, moisturize, seal, and style as above

What in your regimen are trying to nail: Products and how to manage stretched hair. After the first day, I don't know what to do with stretched hair.

What's your starting strategy
: Not buying anything new

Anything else you want to share: Taking classes to make my own stuff

Last edited:

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
I'm trying to keep my challenges to a minimum, so I actually participate in them. This seems like a good one for me.

Current Length: SL

Current Products:
- Moisturizing Deep Conditioner - ???
- Protein Deep Conditioners - Curl Junkie Repair Me! Reconstructive Deep Conditioner, Aubrey Organics Island Replenishing
- Cleansers - Aubrey Organics White Camellia Shampoo, As I Am Coconut Cowash
- Rinse Out Conditioner - Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner
- Leave-in - Oyin Hair Dew (glycerin free), Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Smoothing Lotion
- Moisturizer - my homemade oil/water mix, Pura Body Murumuru Moisture Milk, Pura Body Sapote Hair Lotion

Current Techniques: I pretty much follow the same weekly routine.
- Deep Condition overnight
- Shampoo
- Leave a rinse out conditioner in for 5 minutes, then detangle with my fingers and then a comb
- Use a T-shirt or microfiber towel to dry for 15-20 minutes
- Apply leave-in
- Style

What in your regimen are trying to nail: (1) Find 3 great moisturizing deep conditioners; (2) come up with a protein schedule, (3) nail how to airdry if I'm not doing a wash n' go; (4) preserve my ends; and (5) figure out how often to trim

What's your starting strategy: For the deep conditioner hunt, I have 11 DCs to try. I'm watching Youtube videos for ideas on how to airdry. I think that is also part of what will help me maintain my ends because they currently get scraggly when I airdry. I also recently bought a Split Ender. I'm also lurking in the Luscious Healthy Ends challenge. I just read all the way through that one, and now I'm reading through the 12 inches in 12 months. Next, I'll read through the Fine Hair thread.

Last edited:

faithVA

I'm still formulating my starting strategy but I did figure out some things today as I was shampooing.

My regimen will include finger detangling and reducing come usuage as much as possible.

I also will be doing search and destroys until I can really reduce these split ends.

I am going to apply mud to my scalp only on wash days. I think it is too harsh for my ends.

I will shampoo only 1x to 2x a month and the other weeks cowash.

I am going to try sealing my ends with castor oil and using hazenul for LOC.

That's all I have for now.

PJaye

Since I'm in the process of shaking things up a bit, I’ll join you, faithVA.

Natural, ~MBL

Current Products: Too extensive to list here

Current Techniques (Weekly Schedule):
- Pre-Poo (conditioner mixed with oil)
- Cleanse (shampoo/cleansing conditioner)
- Detangle while rinsing
- Protein Treatment (as needed)
- Herbal Rinse (tea infusion using a variety of dried herbs)
- DC (applied on top of the herbal rinse; allowed to sit for several hours)
- Herbal Rinse (remainder of the infusion)
- Leave-in (creamy, water-based)
- Sealant (personal oil mixture)
- Mid-Week Refresher (dampen with an herbal infusion spritz, apply a creamy leave-in/water-based moisturizer, place back into a ponytail/braid)

- Successfully transition to primarily wearing straightened hair
- Reorganizing my routine to remove all unnecessary steps, products and techniques

- Get a hair cut
- Begin thoroughly testing different straightening techniques, e.g., flatironing, blow drying, blow drying + flatironing, rollersetting
- Finish analyzing the efficacy of pre-pooing
- Test the different approaches to detangling to find the most effective method for my straightened hair
- Eliminate the herbal tea infusions and switch back to essential oils

sissimpson

I need this challenge! I really have no regimen, my hair journey has been random, even haphazard. After three and a half years, I haven't even found products that I'm really in love with. I need help and inspiration!

sissimpson

More deets:

My hair is natural. Strands range from 3B to 4B. For some reason, the curls on the left side of my head are much looser than the hair on the right side. I also have a lot of breakage on the right side. My hair is about 20 different lengths, haven't trimmed since January. Most of it is between shoulder and armpit length, although I have some spots in the crown that were near bald and are now neck length. Here's to a consistency in 2013!

LaNecia

I originally hosted this in 2011 and after a set back have had to start all over. Let's nail our regimens in 2014. Tell us About you

I'm in, this is the one area I've been a bit weak in with my hair journey and thus no progress to speak of.

Texture: Natural
Current Length: Grazing APL
Current Products: KCKT, Matrix Conditioning Balm, Design Essentials Moisturizing Condition and Shampoo, Oyin Hair Dew And Burnt Sugar Pomade. Aloe Vera, henna, avocado, JBCO, olive and NJoy Growth Oils.
Current Techniques: Monthly inversion, GHE, Curlformer Sets, regular application of NJoy growth oil and weekly steaming/deep conditioning.
What in your regimen are trying to nail: Maintaining a good moisture/strength balance.
What's your starting strategy: Consistency, consistency, CONSISTENCY! Maintaining a journal and sticking to what has proven itself to work, keeping the inner PJ at bay.

Anything else you want to share: I WILL make BSL 2014.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using LHCF

Ogoma

I had an interesting wash session this past weekend and accidentally found I could shorten my wash and detangle time.

- put on conditioner/oil/whatever else while I am lounging around and not ready to wash my hair yet.

Once ready:
- finger detangle in two sections
- co-cleanse in two sections
- slather on conditioner with a little oil on top in 2-4 sections
- shower/shave/exfoliate
- take down each section and finger detangle under the water
- rub oil on my hair and use water to spread it throughout
- wrap hair with microfiber towel until ready to moisturize

This process, including the body parts, took me less than 25 mins. The key is to make sure I only keep and use slippy conditioners in my stash and that I put the time I am lounging around to good use. Surprised running my hands through my hair while rinsing out conditioner worked as well as going through 4 sections deliberately. I think I got less breakage.

faithVA

More deets:

My hair is natural. Strands range from 3B to 4B. For some reason, the curls on the left side of my head are much looser than the hair on the right side. I also have a lot of breakage on the right side. My hair is about 20 different lengths, haven't trimmed since January. Most of it is between shoulder and armpit length, although I have some spots in the crown that were near bald and are now neck length. Here's to a consistency in 2013!

Are you joining us for the challenge sissimpson?

faithVA

I had an interesting wash session this past weekend and accidentally found I could shorten my wash and detangle time.

- put on conditioner/oil/whatever else while I am lounging around and not ready to wash my hair yet.

Once ready:
- finger detangle in two sections
- co-cleanse in two sections
- slather on conditioner with a little oil on top in 2-4 sections
- shower/shave/exfoliate
- take down each section and finger detangle under the water
- rub oil on my hair and use water to spread it throughout
- wrap hair with microfiber towel until ready to moisturize

This process, including the body parts, took me less than 25 mins. The key is to make sure I only keep and use slippy conditioners in my stash and that I put the time I am lounging around to good use. Surprised running my hands through my hair while rinsing out conditioner worked as well as going through 4 sections deliberately. I think I got less breakage.

Sounds good. Shortening wash day can be a really big help.

faithVA

I will be wearing my hair out until Sunday. During that time I will be testing out different leave-in and moisturizer product combinations and different moisturizing and sealing combinations. I am also going to cowash a bit more.

I will be putting my hair up while on vacation which will throw things off a bit but I will get back to my strategy right after Christmas.

I did LOC last night with CC Naturals, hazelnut oil, BASK Tapioca cream and castor oil on my ends. The CC Naturals wasn't a win but the rest seemed OK. I plan on giving LOC another chance.

I am hoping more frequent cowash sessions and daily moisturizing and sealing sessions will both benefit my hair.

Atdow71

I want to join this challenge faithVA, but I'm going back to locs hopefully in January and my regimen is going to change. I may join in the early spring if thats possible.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
I want to join:yep:
My reggie is pretty much set but I need discipline re: how often I relax. I'll be back to fill in the deets:grin:

tuffCOOKiE

I am running low in a lot of products so this will def change

Hair Type/Condition: Natural
Current Length: Arm pit
Current Products:
- Moisturizing Deep Conditioner - Cheapies: TJ's, LOREAL Power moisture
- Protein Deep Conditioners - Dr Miracles packet, AO GPB
- Cleansers - Mudwash but am looking for a non/low sulfate alternative
- Rinse Out Conditioner - LOREAL Total Repair 5
- Leave-in - On the lookout!
- Moisturizer - Water, Qhemet Alma cream

Am on the hunt for a slippery leave-in + a new cleanser

Current Techniques:
- Finger detangle only (no more combs + Denman)
- Mild cleasers
- Oil "rinse". What I really do is put oil in my and while in shower and run my hand thru the hair
- Airdry - No heat unless putting in braids/weave

- the day to day moisture + seal
- Slip - I used to underestimate this but as a natural it def cuts down on breakage
- Figuring out my oil game. Sometimes I think my hair hates oils but then she flips it on me!
- Find a softening butter for my root area

- Master the airdry game so my hair feels moisturized after wash and not crunchy (This is a technique/product hybrid)
- Oil Rinse + Add Aloe Vera Juice (AVJ) to the mix to close cuticles
- Continue with finger detangling

My hair is always on the dry side but lately, I've been fighting dryness at the root and scalp. This makes for a really hard detangle. The first 3 inches of my strands are just "tough" and angry so when I pass a comb thru my hair would break at the 3 inch mark.

uofmpanther - this is a great regimen. Might have to steal (but mine is similar)

Ogoma - what are the slippery condishs that you're using? Are you natch?

faithVA This is great! In your post, what is LLC?

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Natural - Relaxed – Texturized/Texlaxed - Transitioning: Relaxed (so far the only one:grin:)
Current Length: BSL/MBL-ish (swear I've been stuck here for a year:cry:
Current Products: Various Aubrey conditioners, Millcreek Biotin and Keratin, Giovanni 50:50, Biotin Aqua Immersion Therapy, Various oil, various Ayurvedic herbs, teas, coffee, coconut milk, beauty without cruelty Leave in
Current Techniques: Finger detangle, cowash mainly, inversion once a month for a week, oil rinse, tea/coffee rinse
What in your regimen are trying to nail: How often to relax and how often to henna
What's your starting strategy: I know that 16-18 weeks stretches are ideal but I get lazy and contemplate doing more then end up under processed because it's so much for me to manage:spinning:
Anything else you want to share: Nope:grin:

Last edited:

faithVA

[USER=6326 said:
tuffCOOKiE[/USER];19361275]I am running low in a lot of products so this will def change

Hair Type/Condition: Natural
Current Length: Arm pit
Current Products:
- Moisturizing Deep Conditioner - Cheapies: TJ's, LOREAL Power moisture
- Protein Deep Conditioners - Dr Miracles packet, AO GPB
- Cleansers - Mudwash but am looking for a non/low sulfate alternative
- Rinse Out Conditioner - LOREAL Total Repair 5
- Leave-in - On the lookout!
- Moisturizer - Water, Qhemet Alma cream

Am on the hunt for a slippery leave-in + a new cleanser

Current Techniques:
- Finger detangle only (no more combs + Denman)
- Mild cleasers
- Oil "rinse". What I really do is put oil in my and while in shower and run my hand thru the hair
- Airdry - No heat unless putting in braids/weave

- the day to day moisture + seal
- Slip - I used to underestimate this but as a natural it def cuts down on breakage
- Figuring out my oil game. Sometimes I think my hair hates oils but then she flips it on me!
- Find a softening butter for my root area

- Master the airdry game so my hair feels moisturized after wash and not crunchy (This is a technique/product hybrid)
- Oil Rinse + Add Aloe Vera Juice (AVJ) to the mix to close cuticles
- Continue with finger detangling

My hair is always on the dry side but lately, I've been fighting dryness at the root and scalp. This makes for a really hard detangle. The first 3 inches of my strands are just "tough" and angry so when I pass a comb thru my hair would break at the 3 inch mark.

uofmpanther - this is a great regimen. Might have to steal (but mine is similar)

Ogoma - what are the slippery condishs that you're using? Are you natch?

faithVA This is great! In your post, what is LLC?

LLC is just liquid, liquid, cream. Instead of using oil, I may use 2 leave-ins and follow it with a cream.