Wash Day - My Sons Waist Length Hair

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Personally,I don't like it. He looks like a girl. I hope she cuts it when he is older. It's a bit weird to me because I am old fashioned.:lol:

BEAUTYU2U

I feel this is less about social norms and more to do with his mom seeming obsessive. Not judging the kid, judging the mom.

hair4today

Beautiful hair, well loved and taken care of by a proud momma. No judgement here. I didn't get any weird vibes watching this. Maybe it's because my dd hair is the about the same length and their wash day routine mimics what I do with my dd (except her son is way more cooperative :) ). I flat iron to length check once a year also and just like the son in the video, my daughter is not interested in cutting it. Kanye shrug. It's her hair so she gets to choose.

Subscribe

Long flat ironed hair is girly on a boy ,no matter how hard you try to twist it ,it's girly and could cause him to be bullied .
She s using him as her "doll" ,she needs to stop.

Parents FAIL when they don't do what s in their child s best interest .

Please share with me what YOU think is in the best interest of this child? :lachen:

Mahogony7

Little boys rock braids often. I don't see the big deal. His hair was washed and braided on wash day like any other young boy who wears braids.

I personally wouldn't want to deal with it since doing my own hair is enough for me. However, DH has hip length hair so I'm sure he'd be fine with our would-be son having long hair. I don't think long hair on a many equal feminine. There is nothing feminine about DH and yes that is his hair hanging at his hips.

Pardon me, but You are one lucky women!

Mahogony7

Long hair on little boys and men has always been a thing. You can look in any history book and see that. Times have changed and so has the way of thinking in regards to this matter. One of the reasons men and boys that had long hair cut it because of lice or the possibility of lice. Also on the battlefield long hair proved to be a hindrance as well. I am sure you are all familiar with the term scalping. It was a whole lot easier to pull on some hair when scalping someone. There are a slew of reasons why men/boys wore their hair so long.

Long hair had/has a fixed role in many cultures;The Vikings, Native Americans and in many clans in Africa even to this day. If this child knows the history of his ancestors and takes pride in it, then I don't think he has an issue with his hair. He did not look miserable at all to me. He seemed to be a very well-behaved and obedient boy. It saddens me to see that people are doubting her parenting skills just because she allows her child to have long hair.

PJaye

Should Native American boys cut their hair? Latin? White?

Honestly, I have absolutely no interest in the personal grooming habits of other cultures.

Let’s be real. Prancing beside a wigwam or the Coliseum isn't a cultural norm for this boy. The only purpose his hair serves is to satisfy the needs of his caretaker; who’s setting him up for needless trauma and hardship. To think otherwise is, at best, naive…and at worse, disingenuous.

TamedTresses

She is doing too much. She needs to wash his hair, braid it and then let him go outside and climb a tree or kick around a ball or something. He doesn't need to be spending all that time getting his hair blown dry or flat iron...not once a year or even once in his lifetime. :ohwell:

sparkle25

Lol people are hilarious. I have a seven year old brother who resembles this child in the video. I dont know the race of this child, but my brother is half black, half mexican. Just about everyone says he looks like Jaden Smith and he actually really does. Anyways my mom doesn't cut his hair either. He is 8 years old with waist length hair when it's wet ( my mom never flat irons it). My brother has been teased at school occasionally, but only when my mom doesn't style it properly. She doesn't always braid it nicely. I don't like long hair on men/boys unless its a black/biracial man/boy. And i only like it once it's braided up. I think it looks nice. If her child wanted his hair cut and she didnt allow it, then there is a problem. She takes good care of it and keeps it braided nicely. So I like it. He looks cute with it as does my little brother.

sparkle25

I really don't understand why some people have a problem because it seems his mom enjoys doing his hair. So what? He wants it long, she enjoys doing it. Why is that a problem? She isn't being obsessive. That's just what it takes to keep curly hair types healthy. Women on this forum should know that better than anyone. Seriously.

People simply don't like his long hair because he is a boy. What if I was to say I think TWA's look horrible on most women as well as short hair cuts .... Would I be a monster for saying that? It's essentially the same thing as what some are saying about boys/men with long hair.

With that being said, to each their own.

Last edited:

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
Ypu have never seen Native American men? Latin men ? or white boys that have long hair? This is the first male you have ever seen with long hair?

Why would you even waste keystrokes asking me such nonsense? Did you read my post? If I have a son I would not want to cut his hair before 5 years old. However, I would not be flat ironing it. My SO and his 2 sons have all had WL hair at one point or another. So with my hair genes and his it is probable we will have a child with MBL and longer hair.

He has nice hair but she's doing way too much.

And I say this as the mother of a boy with almost waist length hair. You'd never know it with shrinkage though, lol. but I do know he would never sit still for all that mess- getting him conditioned, moisturized and oiled requires ninja type skill, and then quickly braiding or putting in a ponytail is the most that happens.

I don't understand the relevance of father comments since men have long hair too but that's just me

What don't you understand? Most fathers would NOT be down for all of that manipulation and would object to it. Having a child doesn't mean you get to do everything you want because he/she is your child. There is another parent to consider.

Last edited:

Kurlee

people are so narrow-minded when it comes to black kids and what they can and cannot do.

iVR

My nephew is the same way lol. He's never had a haircut and his hair is the same length. I think if we brought scissors around him he'd pass out.

DrC

You felt what????:lachen: Really????

You got all those emotions and feelings from this little boy, on YouTube getting his hair comb? Wow!

I understand it not being a choice for your child but you really pulled all that put that video?

Yeah. Even I think the boys hair is way too long, but I didn't get all of that. :lachen:

I love this site. :heart2:

Lita

He has nice hair & it's well kept..The flat ironing is a bit much..Sorry..Just stick with braids/nice pony-tails..

*Its her child.

Happy Hair Growing!

Last edited:

danniegirl

Your truth of what a male is or should be is purely subjective.

This for me becomes more of a nature vs nurture argument after having 3 boys myself i know fact for sure as young boys most of who they were and some of there likes were determined already by nature.

I mean, society is always changing. If we were to register to that kind of logic, how can society ever evolve?

If we keep to the topic at hand What will our society evolve to exactly if all little boys had long hair..

This is not a discussion about acceptance this was simply about a young boy with long hair who mother goes through a routine in order to maintain this boys hair.

Hair will not change the face of the world its simply a vanity issue the maintenance of hair as WE on lhcf know all to well is not preferable to even most women so one could clearly see why it would not be preferable on MOST YOUNG BOYS who more then likely would not choose the option to have waist length hair and i stress young boys not grown men or man child's.

MissAmy

What don't you understand? Most fathers would NOT be down for all of that manipulation and would object to it. Having a child doesn't mean you get to do everything you want because he/she is your child. There is another parent to consider.

Yes and if the other parent does not object/is not involved, the father argument isn't relevant. And since the lady said in the comments he doesn't want to cut his hair, everyone clutching pearls & talking about gender roles and all that mess is just too much since it's ingrained into a child by the parents.

My sons hair is long, his dads hair is long (and has been on & off for the past 6 years). he doesn't tell me nothing about cutting his hair, but I also know even if he did, if my son doesn't want it cut, it won't be cut.

And it's not just "most fathers" would object to all that manipulation, most children would too. And if you read my entire post you'd also see where I stated that I think she's doing too much, and I personally wouldn't go through all that and my sons hair is the same length.

sparkle25

[/B]

SO sad :nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono:

Why is that sad? It's just my opinion. I didnt say only black or biracial men should have long hair, i said I as in ME personally, only like it if its on black or biracial men, and the reason why i feel that way is because i only like long hair if its braided. In my opinion braids do not look good on men of any other race. Dreads maybe, but not braids.

Some people think only black men look good bald. Some people think only European women look good with blonde hair. To each their own.

I think its sad that some people dont realize the fact that everyone has different preferences in looks and just about everything in this life. And there is nothing wrong with that. It takes a whole lot of people to make up a world, and nobody is the same.

Last edited:

danniegirl

Why is that sad? It's just my opinion. I didnt say only black or biracial men should have long hair, i said I as in ME personally, only like it if its on black or biracial men, and the reason why i feel that way is because i only like long hair if its braided. In my opinion braids do not look good on men of any other race. Dreads maybe, but not braids.

Some people think only black men look good bald. Some people think only European women look good with blonde hair. To each their own.

I think its sad that some people dont realize the fact that everyone has different preferences in looks and just about everything in this life. And there is nothing wrong with that. It takes a whole lot of people to make up a world, and nobody is the same.

So when you see a black man with braids do you ask if he is biracial before you decide if you like his braids

or do you play spot the biracial when your out in public first

I know i know its that Hawaiian Silky stuff that you can just tell belongs to a biracial guy cause only biracial men have that GOOD HAIR RIGHT the rest should be dreads i know
:nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono:
its an ignorant statement no matter how you try to spin it and its just sad

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
Yes and if the other parent does not object/is not involved, the father argument isn't relevant. And since the lady said in the comments he doesn't want to cut his hair, everyone clutching pearls & talking about gender roles and all that mess is just too much since it's ingrained into a child by the parents.

My sons hair is long, his dads hair is long (and has been on & off for the past 6 years). he doesn't tell me nothing about cutting his hair, but I also know even if he did, if my son doesn't want it cut, it won't be cut.

And it's not just "most fathers" would object to all that manipulation, most children would too. And if you read my entire post you'd also see where I stated that I think she's doing too much, and I personally wouldn't go through all that and my sons hair is the same length.

But that is what happens on a forum with a million different ladies. There are a million different opinions. It's their prerogative to clutch pearls. It's not like the mother's decision will change either way.

As many have said I don't really think the length is the issue, it is the flat ironing that is so disturbing. From what I've read, she does it very infrequently. And as I have also said, I do not plan on cutting my son (if I have a boy) until he is at least 5. I love hair. I also do not care for Caesar's or 1-guards as that is just too low for a little boy but that is a whole other topic.

My SO's son had long hair (MBL) until he had cancer (around age 5) and it fell out from the treatment. His mom never flat ironed it though. Now his son keeps it in a cute Mohawk or whatever style his dad has.

ckisland

Should Native American boys cut their hair? Latin? White?

Uh have you seen how White, Native, and Latino guys take care of their long hair? Because they don't! I've know long haired White, Native, and Black guys and all they do is shampoo it and maybe, maybe add conditioner. . . sometimes :lol:. The reason they have long hair is because they can't be bothered to cut it and keep up the maintenance of keeping it cut (or for cultural reasons for Native guys). What is weird as heck about this mom and video is that she's doing his hair like he's a long-haired girl, instead of a long haired boy. A lot of girls don't want to sit through all of that and get their hair flatiron, but at least long hair is seen as valuable on a girl. The same isn't true for boys, so why bother :lol:. Flatironing hair is like putting on a full face of makeup. It's purely a tool of beautification. I'm weary of mother's (always seems to be single ones) who want their sons to grow up as pretty princesses :nono:

I prefer longer hair on guys to fades because keeping a fade seems too high maintenance to me :lachen:. Flatironed hair is so wrong and disturbing on a guy unless the guy is being female. Then it makes sense. But you can't do something specifically feminine and try to maintain your masculinity. Nope! You're just a juicy contradiction :lol:.