im gonna cut it all off!!!!!

celiabug

im a 3bc with really fine starnds and my hair mats up soooo bad!! i dont know what to do. ive tried EVERYTHING! i wear my hair in a protective stretched style 95% of the time and my hair still mats up like crazy. ive never seen anyone with hair that tangles as bad as mine. as soon as i comb my hair out it tangles back almost instantly. i lose so much hair on wash days i feel like im going bald. im at a loss of what to do. any advice??

melahnee

no don't you dare cut it off :badgirl: lol!
Let me just say I'm in the same boat. I also have 3abc (lol wow) hair and it is fine IMO and it gets many tangles too. it's sooo frustrating, i know.
have you tried protein, tea, and oil rinses. before this forum i had never done any of this but protein has done so well for me. it's like:brucelee:to the tangles and matting lol. I've also always done DC's and while they made my hair soft, they didn't do much for tangles until i tried a rinse. it has made a big difference for me.

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
My hair does this but I'm not sure if I care simply because I don't wear my hair out. But you said matting as well so maybe its not the same thing. :(

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
I have been able to reduce the amount of hair I lose due to manipulation on wash day by doing the following:

Finger detangle with EVCO drenched/lubed fingers working in small sections.

Once a section is detangled braid/twist or clip it out of the way, so it doesn't re-tangle.

Do this while watching a good movie or marathon on TV/Netflix (Sunday I was getting up to speed on the show "24".

Take your small finger detangled sections and start gently detangling them more with your seamless jumbo rake. Working from the bottom up. Get your EVCO, SD Pre, or Vatika Oil drenched hair into two-four braids, depending on how dense your hair is.

You don't have to, but I highly recommend that we fine hair girls pre-poo overnight with a processing/shower cap on. (You can skip this step if necessary)

Wash in the two-four sections. I have low density hair, so I can get away with two, but I noticed I lost less hair on Monday when I tried four sections.

I loosen each braid while I'm cleansing and rebraid it, before I move onto the next braid/section. I know a lot of ladies actually wash in loose braids and don't unbraid their hair while they're cleansing. I'm going to try that next.

After cleansing, any additional detangling should be done while your hair is drenched in DC or R/O condish with a seamless jumbo rake.

This is my modified method from Chicoro's book Grow It. She has additional directions for if your hair is full of product etc. in her detangling chapter.

HTH

Please don't cut it all off! You have to have more patience and use sectioning to keep it from re-tangling.

ETA: Chicoro keeps her hair in loose braids while cleansing. I'm still an Aspiring A+ Hair Care Queen. :lol:

ETA2: I'll ping Amarilles for you. She washes in braids. I believe she loses minimal hair on wash day. She'll correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

freecurl

I can really relate to your frustration. :sad: There was a time that I was so frustated with the constant matting and tangles, especially in the nape of my hair where it the silkiest and finest. I just couldn't understand why I suffered so much tangling. But fine strands are a beast. I have tried so many things over the years. The matts have reduced a lot, probably because I don't go so long in between detangling sessions. Also coconut oil, almost daily, helps me. Keeping it somewhat stretched with braiding in two braids nightly. Light protein treatments periodically. I can't exactly pin point exactly what turned it around, but they have reduced significantly. I hope you find the solution soon.

Amarilles

• ETA2: I'll ping Amarilles for you. She washes in braids. I believe she loses minimal hair on wash day. She'll correct me if I'm wrong.
  • :yep:

I find it helps immensely...I washed it in just sections (not braided) a few weeks ago to see if I really needed to bother and yep. Sections are better than nothing but I personally had to take more time during detangling and I got some SSKs which I don't normally see while washing in braids.

I think the hair is also stronger when together, I always relate it to toothpicks or uncooked pasta, how fragile they are individually yet strong when grouped together. You should see less breakage.

By the way I wash in loose braids otherwise I can't reach my scalp, so it's very loose at the roots and tighter along the length. It looks a mess like

but it work :lol:

Evolving78

i did it and it felt like a weight was lifted off of me. your hair will grow back and will be better than before. cut it and be happy!

KittyMeowMeow

How is your buildup? I get more matting with buildup.

M&S with water (to avoid buildup) and oil (lubricates strands to keep them from matting).

Damage & splits increase my matting. Maybe some S&D and a minitrim?

summertimewine

*sips tea*
Maybe being natural is taking to much of a toll! I've several stories of women who just had to baby their hair 100% of the time, so they texlaxed and it made the knots easier, the washing days shorter etc. etc.

celiabug

Maybe being natural is taking to much of a toll! I've several stories of women who just had to baby their hair 100% of the time, so they texlaxed and it made the knots easier, the washing days shorter etc. etc.

ive ben natural my whole life but within the past year my tangles have become so much worst!

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
im a 3bc with really fine starnds and my hair mats up soooo bad!! i dont know what to do. ive tried EVERYTHING! i wear my hair in a protective stretched style 95% of the time and my hair still mats up like crazy. ive never seen anyone with hair that tangles as bad as mine. as soon as i comb my hair out it tangles back almost instantly. i lose so much hair on wash days i feel like im going bald. im at a loss of what to do. any advice??

What's your regimen? Products?

Have you tried a trim and some protein to beef up your strands?

I know some hate silicones but maybe a detangler with some cones will help. Just make sure to use a mild sulfate shampoo to remove them once a month.

I def agree with prepoo with oil, washing in braids, try oil rinses. Not sure if you are already doing any of this.

Also, make sure you are drinking enough water! Dehydration starts from the inside and can cause unruly hair.

classychic1908

I think the hair is also stronger when together, I always relate it to toothpicks or uncooked pasta, how fragile they are individually yet strong when grouped together. You should see less breakage.

My hair mats and tangles terribly when I don't use gel to encourage my curls to clump. Also using a remoisturizing spray that is 3 parts water 1 part glycerin, helps give my hair slip, and works better for me than using oil.

Bublin

OP I can relate. I hate wash days as it's one big tangle, whether I wash in braids or not. Both finger combing and using a comb break my hair off.
Between washes I daren't use a comb.
If I spritz with water to 'moisturise' I have a hard dried out mess on my head, whether I seal or not.

I'm past APL but if I part my hair I have loads of short spikey hair where it has broken off. I just can't be anymore gentle with it than I already am. Whilst I won't BC, I've just decided to live with it.

karenjoe

do u pre poo ? oil & tea rinses?
do u do protein treatments?..
I always Suave moisture retention as a final rinse. ( great slip)
I only use Porosity shampoo by Roux once a month
I use a heavier leave in like At One or bed head even Lotta body help me
good luck... I would trim 2 or 3 inches

PureSilver

I too think a trim will do very well. I too had the same problems. I dont know my real hair type but my strands are extremely fine and my hair shrinks and tangles like crazy.

I have been sectioning my hair to wash and that didn't help. I recently discovered Organic Root Stimulator Carrot oil. I added to that Suave ocean breeze conditioner and mixed it with 20ml of glycerine and my hair does not tangle once i use this, section and finger detangle my hair. I also trimmed m y hair 2 days ago after putting in twists sections i clipped the ends.

I hope this helps but do not cut it all off. Maybe you could try texlaxing or relaxing as other options.

brittle_hair

celiabug I've had matting before i found it was a porosity issue - a conditioner with some slip will help like affirm 5 in 1 reconstructor - this conditioner stops my breakage in its tracks and has so much slip it melts away any tangles - you can also try roux's porosity control i think both of these can help even if u're natural

RUBY

I had a really bad was day last weekend so I know how you feel.

It sucks having fine strands and its even worse when it's 4b/c because for me the detangling process is no joke. These days wash day is literally an all day and night affair.

RUBY

OP I can relate. I hate wash days as it's one big tangle, whether I wash in braids or not. Both finger combing and using a comb break my hair off.
Between washes I daren't use a comb.
If I spritz with water to 'moisturise' I have a hard dried out mess on my head, whether I seal or not.

I'm past APL but if I part my hair I have loads of short spikey hair where it has broken off. I just can't be anymore gentle with it than I already am. Whilst I won't BC, I've just decided to live with it.

I have similar experiences. Not matter what or how gentle I am, I always get tangles and lots of hair in my comb.

Ms Lala

@celiabug I've had matting before i found it was a porosity issue - a conditioner with some slip will help like affirm 5 in 1 reconstructor - this conditioner stops my breakage in its tracks and has so much slip it melts away any tangles - you can also try roux's porosity control i think both of these can help even if u're natural

Ditto, if it was just tangling I would say it's the length but if you are experiencing matting I will bet it's a porosity issue as well. Joico moisture recovery or roux porosity seem to help my hair followed up by rinsing with an oil that is full of ceramides like safflower or wheat germ oil. IHTH. Also hard water and drying shampoo has caused this problem for me before as well.

nerdography

I have a section of hair that mattes so badly. I have found that a really good slippy conditioner applied to soaking wet hair helps me detangle easier. And I have to keep that section braided so it won't matte back up. The conditioners that provide great slip for me are:

Aussie Moist
Koils by Nature SheaAloe leave-in
Tresseme Naturals
Suave
VO5
olive/avocado oil pre-poo
Hair One for dry hair

I normally put a heating cap on my head and let it sit for 20 minutes and it gets the matte soft enough were I can start working shed hair out of it.

Bublin

So to all those who are saying it's a porosity issue. Are you suggesting high or low porosity? I'm guessing you mean high because Roux is NOT for low po hair. You really cannot suggest using Roux to someone without finding out what their Porosity is.

Well I have Low Po hair and my problem (matting) is at the roots so trimming does not solve the problem. Using a conditioner with slip of course helps but detangling very fine, tangled hair at the roots is no joke and once the hair dries it tangles and matts at the root.

Last night I tried something different. I diluted Knot Today with water 50/50 and drenched my dry hair in sections. Normally I would never attempt detangling outside of the shower but I had to try something different..
The shed hairs slipped out very easily and I was able to detangle the roots without ripping out hair.

I'll be washing it tomorrow so I need to think about changing how I airdry because twists also contribute to tangles.

Last edited:

brittle_hair

I was suggesting high porosity as that is what I have and found those products worked and I have to agree with the knot today recommendation, when I was natural I used knot today - that stuff works, expensive, but it does the job!

mshoneyfly

I have tangles and matting at the root too. I think its at the lone of demarkation (Im texturized and transitioning from bone straight relaxed).

Im gonna try oil rinses along with my tea rinsing soon.

I wouldnt bc cuz the tangles and matting come from the curly shed hairs that wrap around the others. I am high po so there are plenty of little cracks for shed hairs to get stuck on. The best thing to do is close the cuticle.

Rinsing with cool water sometimes helps. For prevention Im gonna try french perm stabilizer soon. Acv in a spray bottle can help too. Maybe acv rinse before or after shampooing to keep the matting from starting!!

Henna and cassia glosses help to smooth the curls temporarily and I don't have tangles for about 10 days after

ETA: i put some acv in my tea rinse but haven't tried it yet. Im hoping this will help and I can still use tea without tangles