I NEED a corrective relaxer, need tips,advice PLEASE

NoNapNique

Since I've been taking better care of my hair and watching it (daily, for the last 5 weeks), I've noticed several patches of hair that look underprocessed in the middle (wavy/puffy/ frizzy). I suspect it's from using Motions Herbals relaxer for 3 touch-ups in a row... So I need to do a corrective relaxer the next time I relax at 12 weeks. The problem is, I can't even REMEMBER the last time I put relaxer on any part of my hair except the NEW GROWTH and I'm SO afraid to correct the underprocessed parts.

I should probably go to a salon to have it done, but I don't trust them to be careful about it. Most of these places around here (even the person I've occasionally gone to) treat you like a part in an assembly line. They hear me say "corrective" and they'll automatically slap that stuff all over my whole head and hair and snatch through it with a rat tail comb, then claim it's "dead hair" all over their gloves and clumped in the comb! I have 4a/4b, APL hair. But it is a bit see-thru b/c I have short parts that are growing out on my temples/edges and middle of my head (they are only about 3.5 inches long), and they look underprocessed too.

How do I give myself a corrective relaxer?

Which relaxer is best to use?

~*~ShopAholic~*~

NoNapNique said:
How do I give myself a corrective relaxer?
You just apply the relaxer to the area that is underprocessed, and watch it closely so that you don't overprocess it. I would apply conditioner to the already processed areas to avoid overlapping if it in the middle of your hair strands don't have to wait 12wks to correct it.
Which relaxer is best to use?
I definately love TCB Bone Straight, but I am going to try Vitale Life and Body tonight on my daughters hair, if it turns out well we will be using this, I'll keep you posted on our results. HTH:)

JazzyFLPeach

I'd heard of corrective relaxers but never had anyone tell me I actually needed one until about 11 months ago when I changed salons. My beautician used Phyto Index II for my corrective and I've stuck with it since.

Is it possible to find a trustworthy beautician in your area by word of mouth?

aileendq

I'm not sure I would bother with it. Are you absolutely sure you can't just flatten that area without the risk of damage?

Correctives always freak me out b/c you have such a high chance of overlapping on the strands and risk breakage. Or maybe you could use your regular relaxer mixed with some jojoba or conditioner? Or a flat iron just on that section? Or wrap your hair after applying a leave in cond.?

Be careful and good luck!

A

secretdiamond

I have a LOT of underprocessed hair from using affirm. I've been told that I need a corrective, but I'm afraid my hair will start falling out.

NewYorkgyrl

Are you sure it is the product or the application process?

I have been using Motions Salon Herbals (mild) for about a year now. But I always get it done at a salon and my hair comes out straight but not bone straight. I don't believe my hair is underprocessed (but then again no one ever showed me what underprocessed hair looks like). I was considering switching to Affirm lye (mild) but I like how Motions leaves my hair. I have used this same relaxer at three different salon all with good results. But YOU need to do what works for you. GOOD LUCK!

LiLi

Nique ... I am going to insert a response that I gave to someone who asked me about the correcting process back in February:

I am just going to insert what I told someone else about the experience as well as when you should NOT correct.

I went over the no-lye with the lye relaxer. I did a small section and have been monitoring it for 5 weeks now and I haven't had any problems. See, my definition of underprocessed seems to be different from what the majority on here view it as being. To me underprocessed hair is not just hair that has some wave curl left to it ... it is hair that has some wave left to it but it is extremely frizzy, dry and brittle (Tracy did a very good explanation about this over a year ago) even after conditioning. So what I did was go over a section that was underprocessed with Affirm Fiberguard Lye. I relaxed the new growth and then smoothed the lye over the underprocessed parts for 5 minutes (You have to be very careful that you don't leave it on any longer). The sections that were underprocessed with the no-lye were not straightened any further HOWEVER, it totally corrected the dryness and frizziness if that makes any sense. I just love Affirm all around ... the sections of my hair that I relaxed with the Affirm no-lye still feel great.

My advise would be to correct a small section and monitor it for a length of time to see. Doing that would be worth much more than not and damaging your hair. But if your hair is not TRUELY underprocessed, I would leave it alone and just relax the new growth with a lye relaxer when it is time for your next one. Also remember, as I said, the lye relaxer will NOT straighten the curl of the no-lye noticeably so if that's your only problem I would not do a corrective relaxer ... just rely on rollersetting and flat ironing (once in a while) to straighten your hair. It has been one year since I had a relaxer and let me tell you, the right products and flat iron or rollerset will make it look as if you just had a fresh relaxer.

I hope I answered your question and I hope that you remember what the TRUE definition of underprocessed hair is. I have sections of hair that weren't relaxed as straight as other parts but I do not consider those sections underprocessed and I am able to deal with it with no problems with a little extra patience and care.

secretdiamond said:
I have a LOT of underprocessed hair from using affirm. I've been told that I need a corrective, but I'm afraid my hair will start falling out.

Are you sure it's underprocessed? Or is it just wavier than the rest of your hair. Underprocessed hair is very dry,frizzy, and brittle. The reason why I ask is because a corrective relaxer will correct truly underprocessed hair (when done properly) but will not do much to straighten the hair out further.

secretdiamond

Yes I am sure. The hair is VERY dry, brittle, gets tangled a lot and frizzy ALL the time unless I get it flat ironed. My stylist also pointed this out. Even after pooing with CON, those parts still feel rougher and the hair is WET. So I know that it is severely underprocessed. It's annoying and gets tangled soooo much even when I apply leave-in or oils or anything else. Those things only calm it down, but only for a short while. I have to apply a lot more product to those sections and go over them about 3 times, THEN tie my hair down AND put a plastic cap over at night JUST to be able to comb thru it without too much breakage. :( And i also notice it because my sister's hair looks like a texturizer now b/c she used it longer than I did. I can clearly see on my hair where I stopped using affirm lye and started using revlon lye. It's a huge difference in terms of texture, dryness, and manageability. :yep:

Mizani_Mrs

I think your best and only bet is to go with Phyto II or perhaps I, simply because this relaxer system is said to be the most gentlest. it does not erode the hair's cuticle. so if i was relaxing previously relaxed hair...i'd only trust this system. although i dont use it anymore because of my fear of no-lye dryness...i still say go for it, if you feel you must correct it.

LiLi

secretdiamond said:
Yes I am sure. The hair is VERY dry, brittle, gets tangled a lot and frizzy ALL the time unless I get it flat ironed. My stylist also pointed this out. Even after pooing with CON, those parts still feel rougher and the hair is WET. So I know that it is severely underprocessed. It's annoying and gets tangled soooo much even when I apply leave-in or oils or anything else. Those things only calm it down, but only for a short while. I have to apply a lot more product to those sections and go over them about 3 times, THEN tie my hair down AND put a plastic cap over at night JUST to be able to comb thru it without too much breakage. :( And i also notice it because my sister's hair looks like a texturizer now b/c she used it longer than I did. I can clearly see on my hair where I stopped using affirm lye and started using revlon lye. It's a huge difference in terms of texture, dryness, and manageability. :yep:

Yep that's underprocessed hair ... the only thing is, as far as I know, correctives will only work when done to correct no-lye with lye. If anyone has done a corrective with lye over lye please chime in.

Candycane044

I have this same problem, and I'm scared to do a corrective, but I know I should. How long do you ladies think I should wait before I do a corrective relaxer?

Diam0ndiva

bumping.. i have been going thru something with my texturized hair.. its so pretty when wet, but when its time to detagle its a bit difficult and i feel it must be an underlining problem.. maybe me asking the stylist to leave the texturizer on for a lil time.. underprocessed my hair..

or maybe im not leaving it on long enough only time will tell but i found an article clip i can share..

When I was going to the beauty shop every 6 weeks to get a relaxer my beautician would put the relaxer all over about once a year (pull through). Some people call it a corrective relaxer. A corrective relaxer is when someone who has been using no-lye relaxers for a long period of time and they have a calcium build up, I read that putting the lye on top of the damaged hair can remove the calcuim. But, the key to this trick is to condition with a protein conditioner before you neutralize, Yes I know scary. Actually this was the first time I have done that procedure, after I washed the relaxer out I put some Designer Touch Post-Perm treatment on my hair for 10 minutes before neutralizaing and the results were wonderful.

http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache:7m5XjOyeIcAJ:forum.blackhairmedia.com/printer_friendly_posts.asp%3FTID%3D3390+corrective+relaxer&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us