Oh the Drama...

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
of wearing your hair down when it's usually up. I'm still fairly new here at work, and work with mostly Caucasians, but a good number of us as well. I usually have my hair up of course. I have been asked by at least three of the Whites if I have extensions or weave when my hair is down. I'm disappointed at such assumptions, but then again who can blame them after Good Hair.

And then there's the black co-worker who wears the waist length weave on the regular, but makes it a point when I wear my hair out, to tell me or someone else that her *real* hair (which I've never seen) is longer than mine.

chelleyrock

I can oh so relate. This is the main reason why I haven't straightened my hair in over a year. :nono: I really want to but don't' want to be bothered with "Oh, is that all your hair?"

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
People always want to tell you what their hair looks like when it is never on display. When people do that to me, I ask them to see it. I had this woman always telling me when I was natural how awesome her natural hair was and how it was nicer than mine. Yet, from her wigs her nape area looked like burnt hay. I guess it got better from there, LOL!

Forever in Bloom

Hilarious! I will probably never wear my hair down while I'm working at my current job. I see a lot of construction-type dirty ol men come though here, and they are super touchy feel-y. I am not the touchy feel-y type, so I tend to get very verbal when people cross that line. I don't know when I'll ever straighten because of the grossness I encounter every day.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

CurlyMoo

I have mixed feelings about this.
I usually wear my hair up, but when I wear it down I get a lot of attention and asked many questions. Some ladies make weird faces. When I tell them what I do, the women criticized me. Then I take a long hard look at their head and say, "Oh okay. :look:"

I recently thought to myself, why should the ladies who openly flaunt and enjoy their long flowing weaved hair be the only ones enjoying the spotlight. Mine is real!!!

Well after a few weeks of leaving my hair long and flowing, it is a tangled, matted mess.

I say if you can keep your hair from tangling then don't be afraid to be the one with real long hair walking around. Because the world seems to think that we are all bald. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

GrowAHead

Its cray! I have TWO coworkers who were telling me how their hair was my length (one in braids and another in a weave). Chile when those extensions came out it was 1 inch of missing edges and neck length hair in the back - On what planet is your hair like mine? Baby bye.

cocosweet

of wearing your hair down when it's usually up. I'm still fairly new here at work, and work with mostly Caucasians, but a good number of us as well. I usually have my hair up of course. I have been asked by at least three of the Whites if I have extensions or weave when my hair is down. I'm disappointed at such assumptions, but then again who can blame them after Good Hair.

And then there's the black co-worker who wears the waist length weave on the regular, but makes it a point when I wear my hair out, to tell me or someone else that her *real* hair (which I've never seen) is longer than mine.
Or they always have cousin who has even longer hair than you. You could have knee length hair and cuzzo's hair would have to be down to her ankles. Pics or it didn't happen!:lol:

Leona28

Girl, be proud and grateful to Christ for helping you with your hair. Let there be naysayers but you have shown what wonders He has done for you!

PJaye

Or they always have cousin who has even longer hair than you. You could have knee length hair and cuzzo's hair would have to be down to her ankles. Pics or it didn't happen!:lol:

I always get the “my hair was long when I was an embryo” and “I don’t like long hair, so I keep my hair cut short” comments. For some reason, they don’t seem to like my responses (e.g., “That was like...20 or 30 years ago, right? Hmm”).:lol:

Dayjoy

Old School Member
Besides compliments, WHY do people feel the need to make comments about hair that isn't theirs? You don't go around commenting on their receding edges, jacked up ends, beady bees, unseen length. It's like wearing your hair down/out gives permission for them to be rude.

Last edited:

Saga

The Generous Queen
Besides compliments, WHY do people feel the need to make comments about hair that isn't theirs? You don't go around commenting on their receding edges, jacked up ends, beady bees, unseen length. It's like wearing your hair down/out gives permission for them to be rude.

GIFSoup

VivaMac

Or my hair used to be that long but I cut it because, it was too much trouble, too hot, too much attention, too much jealousy and on on on.....:lachen:

I heard all this and I was only BSB, I can only imagine what you are subjected to.

greenandchic

Its not like the OPs story but every time I go into a particular Sally's the same woman employee asks me the same questions in this exact order:

1. Is that your hair?
2. How do you get it to do "that"? (I assume, curl/wave)
3. Is that all you use? (when I tell her the shampoo, conditioner, leave-ins and oils I use most of the time.)

Then she proceeded to tell me her hair is long and curly like mine though I've never seen it under her cornroll extensions (with the swoop bang circa 1988). No edges, no nape.

People always want to tell you what their hair looks like when it is never on display. When people do that to me, I ask them to see it. I had this woman always telling me when I was natural how awesome her natural hair was and how it was nicer than mine. Yet, from her wigs her nape area looked like burnt hay. I guess it got better from there, LOL!

:dead: :dead:
:dead: :dead:

mscocoface

You all are cracking me UP in here! :lachen: Thanks for the laughs I needed them today. For what it is worth I can totally feel your pain and drama.

Angelicus

I feel you, OP. I don't even have long hair but even I get remarks like that. I usually wear my hair curly or in a ponytail but yesterday I decided to flat iron it all the way down. A college student at work complimented my hair, saying that it was long, and if they were extensions.

At one job I had, one co-worker asked another co-worker, "Is Angelicus' hair real?" The other co-worker assured her that it was all my hair and she couldn't believe it. Really? C'mon, why not ask me? :lol:

No matter where I work, I am always the only black person with healthy hair and a decent length. :nono:

Jewell

Too many black women, especially the older ones dont believe you can have long hair unless you're mixed. I hate the drama but I dont care who hatin, when I reach HL my hair will be a swangin allover the place. And I dare a beotch to try and weave check me. Check me and be getting up off da floor :lachen: OP, You should ask the chick who wears hers in a weave but insists hers is longer to show her pretty hair, lol. Bet you will hear a hundred excuses. Heauxs be lying.

Jewell

Or my hair used to be that long but I cut it because, it was too much trouble, too hot, too much attention, too much jealousy and on on on.....:lachen:

I heard all this and I was only BSB, I can only imagine what you are subjected to.

I have heard these excuses ALL MY LIFE. From 2nd grade when my hair was BSL and natural, up til now past WL. Yeah, u cut yours for those reasons, yet envious of and hatin on every woman (especially Black wmn) with hair past her shoulders. These insecure women give me a good laugh everytime.

FrazzledFraggle

Well, I've had my hair in wigs or buns for the last 6 months and when I flat ironed last week DH asked me if that was my real hair. LOL. Poor guy...he can't tell anymore. I always buy wigs shorter than my own hair so I don't get hair anorexia. But, when I flat ironed this time...it really was below BSL but right above MBL. I was like YAY! when I looked in the mirror. He weave checked me. :lol: I received really strange looks at church as well. I think everyone thinks my wig is mine and my real hair is a wig because my wig is about 4 inches shorter. I love it!

Last edited:

Jewell

Lucie

OMGosh I laughed and cackled so HARD at your "burnt hay" observation. My baby started crying cuz I scared him with my laugh. I just about died...had to catch my breff too lmbo ^^^^

Angelicus

OP: I make em even more mad by wearing my halle berry wig.

I hear: "I knew it... I knew it! That whole time she was wearing a long weave!"

Attachments

• 886155_10101132997326528_1974768504_o.jpg
    886155_10101132997326528_1974768504_o.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 214

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
Jewell, she had her wig up in a bun and her real hair was coming out and it looked like burnt hay. LOL! Aww........ I hope your little one is okay now.

I demand proof now. If you want to tell me about this hidden glory, let me see it! Or else, I don't believe you! It shuts them up! :D

JulietWhiskey

Darkside of the moon
One time last summer when I was getting my life through wet bunning and my phony ponies, I was talking to this woman at DS's swim lesson. We were just chit-chatting about nothing in particular when she asked me what did I use in my hair to make it look like "that" (I assumed she meant the waves in the front, back and sides since my hair was in a bun). I told her nothing but Eco-styler gel on my damp hair and then she gets quiet. I thought we we're done talking or about to move on to another subject when all of a sudden, out of the clear blue sky, she literally sucks her teeth and breaks out with, "Well, my sister has good hair. And her waves are bigger than yours."
Me::look:. "Ummm...ok?"
Her: :evil: "Yeah. O-KAY." Then she stomps off to sit in another area beside the pool.

That was the strangest encounter about my hair that I have ever had. When most people ask me about my waves, they ask about what I use/do, tell me they're nice waves and keep it moving. But I don't know if this woman thought I was lying or what. I saw her a few times after that and she would never make eye contact.

SMH.

Angelicus

One time last summer when I was getting my life through wet bunning and my phony ponies, I was talking to this woman at DS's swim lesson. We were just chit-chatting about nothing in particular when she asked me what did I use in my hair to make it look like "that" (I assumed she meant the waves in the front, back and sides since my hair was in a bun). I told her nothing but Eco-styler gel on my damp hair and then she gets quiet. I thought we we're done talking or about to move on to another subject when all of a sudden, out of the clear blue sky, she literally sucks her teeth and breaks out with, "Well, my sister has good hair. And her waves are bigger than yours."
Her: :evil: "Yeah. O-KAY." Then she stomps off to sit in another area beside the pool.

That was the strangest encounter about my hair that I have ever had. When most people ask me about my waves, they ask about what I use/do, tell me they're nice waves and keep it moving. But I don't know if this woman thought I was lying or what. I saw her a few times after that and she would never make eye contact.

SMH.
hahahahahhahahaha hahahahahahha :lol: hahahahahahhahaha!!!

Buhahahahahahha haahahahha!! :lachen:

koolkittychick

SMH.
Oooo damn! Jealous much? :grin:
Sometimes you just have to let haters hate and keep it moving.

cocosweet

SMH.
Aww. You hurt her wittle feelwings with your fabulous hair.:lol:

Why you lie to her like that? Everyone knows that black women have to do this, that, and the third to get nice looking hair. She wanted you to tell her which Hawaiian Silky or Kinky Krinkle weave you use so she could run out and get some and here you go perpetrating a fraud.

jbwphoto1

Now I have a meeting to go to (I'm at work) and the whole time will be laughing to myself about this post. :lachen::lachen: