I think my hair stopped growing-yes I am serious

LongCurlyLocks

Ok, I have been a member of this board for years (at least four) and I have followed the advice of some of you until I found my staple. Well it stopped working so I adopted another, then another. You see where I am going with this. In the mean time, my hair is getting thinner; to the point where I have a thin spot in the top of my head. I mean, it's not completely bald but it is thinner than the rest of my hair. Even my boys noticed it. That means there's trouble when boys notice something like that. Also, throughout my head it seems like it's not as thick in some spots. Meaning the quantity of thickness is not universal. A little depressed about my situation, I went to Mane Image for a consultation. I looked at my scalp on a monitor as she ran something like a camera over my head. And I can see that I had hair in some spots and in others none at all. She said I may have some scalp disorder; I won't embarrass myself trying to pronounce it. That really messed my day up, I was in tears literally. She recommended that I go see a dermatologist for a biopsy to confirm. In the meantime, it seems that my hair has stopped growing as well. I don't know what to do and I am scared stiff of what that doctor is going to tell me. Has this happened to you or anyone you know? What do you/they do? Is there any hope for me? I would like to have at least waist length hair, now I barely have bra strap. And the sad situation about this my hair used to be so long and thick as a child. I want it back. I am almost crying just typing this.....

Vintagecoilylocks

I can understand what you are feeling. Well there's alot of good news here. Many of the scalp disorders can be treated and reversed. As bad as it seems the body can recover alot. BSL is a little short for terminal so even if there is no progress in length now you probably have longer hair in your future. My hair stopped gaining length when it was shedding. Now listen to your DR. but don't stop there. Read and research. Go for the most natural ways of dealing with what ever is going on. Boost your immune system. Switch to more natural products. Search this site and other long hair sites for people who had similar experience and then recovered. I can tell you there is life and longer healthy hair after hair loss.:yep:

Transformer

Ah....age? Have you had a hysterectomy or anything that would cause your estrogen levels to change....BC pills? An of course there is the thyroid....but all can be helped if they are the cause.

FrazzledFraggle

I hope you find out what is ailing your follicles. :( We are here to support you in anyway we can. Keep us updated as you get new info and I'm sure you will have a tone of people researching ways to help you. HUGS!

LongCurlyLocks

Well, I don't go in till the end of this month so I have a while to wait yet. The name of the disorder that is in question is folliculitis decalvans. A biopsy has to be done to confirm it. I have not had any real health problems, no operations other than a tubal, haven't taken BC pills in years, have taken vitamins for years, no drugs or alcohol (rarely on the booze) and I get blood work done often. Last I checked which was last year sometime my thyroid was fine. But the lady at Mane Image said you won't find it if you are not looking for it. Makes sense. I have been doing more research and joined a group that talks about scalp and skin disorders. Maybe I can get more answers there. In the meantime, I will keep you posted, because this could affect anyone of us or anyone you know (God forbid). So we need to know as much as we can about things like this. If I have to be the guinea pig to get the word out here, then so be it. Regardless, I am still dreaming about my waist length or beyond hair. *LongHairDon'tCare*

Last edited:

greenandchic

LongCurlyLocks - I'm so sorry you're going though this. Right now you are doing the right think in confirming a diagnosis. Too many of us try to self-diagnose and DIY with everything - sometimes we need to see a pro and I learned that the hard way myself. Keep us posted when you can. :bighug:

genesislocks

Have no fear! For every problem there is a solution.

I'm not a medical expert BUT I'm a master googler and somewhat of a health buff :yep:

From what I've read about FD, it seems to be a bacterial infection of the follicle.

So maybe the following will help:
Celery seed extract (pill form)
Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
High-dose vitamin C
Sovereign Silver spray

Like I said, I'm not an expert so I'm deff not trying to write you prescription here, but maybe you could talk to a doctor about some of the options listed above.

But...

So you don't feel alone, I'd like to share a story of my own that I haven't shared until now:

Going back a few months ago, I would sweat CONSTANTLY. No joke, whether hot or cold, morning or night...I was always sweaty.
I tried everything, and I mean everything! From antiperspirants, to sage, to high-potency antiperspirants EVERYTHING. I even told my doctor...and I don't do that very often lol. Anyway... I thought I was a lost cause. One day I noticed that I didn't feel as mucky as usual..I thought it was a fluke. Days and weeks went by and I noticed some major improvement. When I looked back on my diet and what had changed, the ONLY thing that I had taken that I never tried before was vitamin C. Not the fake stuff, the real stuff. It's called "Whole-C" from vitamin shoppe. I was taking it in conjunction with other tablets that I was already taking frequently...and right then and there I realized that by the grace of God the only thing that I needed was some good old vitamin C. No side effects, no prescription drama. Havn't looked back since.

I just wanted to share this mildly embarrassing story because I don't want you to get discouraged! EVER! Even if the aforementioned remedies aren't the winners, your condition will be cured before you know it. It only takes one supplement/oil/herb to do the trick.

Feel better my friend :bighug:

FrazzledFraggle

Did you see this?

But there is promise in a regimen of dual therapy with Rifampin 300 mg twice daily and Clindamycin 300 mg twice daily. This new treatment can be used to control the condition, and tests have indicated that after 3 to 5 months long uninterrupted courses of treatment, many patients have seen limited to no evidence of recurrence.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10233232

ajargon02

I'm not a medical expert BUT I'm a master googler and somewhat of a health buff :yep:

From what I've read about FD, it seems to be a bacterial infection of the follicle.

Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
High-dose vitamin C
Sovereign Silver spray

Like I said, I'm not an expert so I'm deff not trying to write you prescription here, but maybe you could talk to a doctor about some of the options listed above.

But...

So you don't feel alone, I'd like to share a story of my own that I haven't shared until now:

Going back a few months ago, I would sweat CONSTANTLY. No joke, whether hot or cold, morning or night...I was always sweaty.
I tried everything, and I mean everything! From antiperspirants, to sage, to high-potency antiperspirants EVERYTHING. I even told my doctor...and I don't do that very often lol. Anyway... I thought I was a lost cause. One day I noticed that I didn't feel as mucky as usual..I thought it was a fluke. Days and weeks went by and I noticed some major improvement. When I looked back on my diet and what had changed, the ONLY thing that I had taken that I never tried before was vitamin C. Not the fake stuff, the real stuff. It's called "Whole-C" from vitamin shoppe. I was taking it in conjunction with other tablets that I was already taking frequently...and right then and there I realized that by the grace of God the only thing that I needed was some good old vitamin C. No side effects, no prescription drama. Havn't looked back since.

I just wanted to share this mildly embarrassing story because I don't want you to get discouraged! EVER! Even if the aforementioned remedies aren't the winners, your condition will be cured before you know it. It only takes one supplement/oil/herb to do the trick.

Wow, I was having the same issues w/ uncontrollable sweating & I too started taking vit C in conjunction w/ new vitamins. Come to think of it, my sweating issue is gone since about wk 3-4 of upping the C. I didnt realize it, until u said something! I am so glad m not alone! I tried a LOT of stuff out there 2 try and control the sweating & was even considering botox shots to get it under control! Hopefully I will stay strong w/ my vitamins & wont have 2 have this problem anymore :)

luckiestdestiny

You WILL get waist length and beyond but you have to take care of your health first. I hope they can diagnose and treat you so that you can move forward healthy and achieve your goals.

LongCurlyLocks

Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
High-dose vitamin C
Sovereign Silver spray

But...

Thank you for sharing your story. Glad that you have recovered. I will also look into the things you have suggested.

Last edited:

LongCurlyLocks

Did you see this?

But there is promise in a regimen of dual therapy with Rifampin 300 mg twice daily and Clindamycin 300 mg twice daily. This new treatment can be used to control the condition, and tests have indicated that after 3 to 5 months long uninterrupted courses of treatment, many patients have seen limited to no evidence of recurrence.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10233232

Yes I did see this and if this is the culprit that's most likely what i will be taking. Thank you for taking out the time to find some answers.

prettynatural

Think, Do, Be
Here's a big hug to you!!!!

I can understand how you feel. I have acne keloids in the back of my scalp and thinning up top. It can be some work but I know that your hair will return to its glory! Good luck to you!

LongCurlyLocks

Well my appointment isn't until the 27th, so I will be waiting a bit to find out everything. They have to do the biopsy first then get the diagnosis. I doubt all of that will be done in the first sitting. So they're are going to make a sista' wait. Boo!!!! In the meantime, I may be flexing this:
http://upartwigs.net/main.sc

This is a perfect alternative to sew in's which may have made my problems worse. But I will still keep you all posted.

LongCurlyLocks

Sorry I have not kept you all updated on this post. I didn't make it to that appointment in March. In fact i ended up going to another dermatologist altogether. Distance was the main factor. Well, I get in there and I explained what the other doctor thinks may be going on with my head, that I may need a biopsy, etc. This ***** comes in, is standing at least four if not more feet away from me not even touching or really looking at my head like I had leprosy or something. I had to MAKE her look at my head!!! Then she said the biopsy wouldn't make sense, we wouldn't find out anything from it (huh?) and it's probably due to heredity or age. I'm 35!!!!! I wanted to drop kick that *****. I never felt so violated in my life. She prescribed some topical cream and told me to come back next year. What??? You won't see me again ever, ***** unless it's on the street and you better hope I don't run you over. I was so hurt that day, I was almost in tears. I talked to my doctor about seeing a Black dermatologist but she says due to her clientele she is hard to see. Sigh. In the meantime i have considered locs. You all may have seen my posts around here:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=701107

I have posted in the Healty locs Support thread as well. Now with stating what's going on with me I have a problem. Even though I have this hair issues and I'm so frustrated I was thinking about even shaving it off, I have really become fixated on these locs. I'm even dreaming about them. It's like they are calling me. Ok, here is the problem, folks. I told my mother about it (big mistake I think) and she was saying well what about your thin spot? That's going to make it worst. As the dreads grow they will get heavy on your hair. Why don't you do bantu knots instead? That would make it grow and it won't be any pressure, you won't have to pay any money, you can do them yourself... blah blah blah... She does make valid points but I don't know. I did go to a loctition for a consultation and she said it wasn't bad. But she could be saying that to get my money too. I am fixated on the locs now. I'm stuck. What do you think I should do? Oh and I forgot to add she said that people with good hair don't get locs (her words, not mine!!!!).

HanaKuroi

Go to ANOTHER DERMATOLOGIST! do this before starting locs or anything else. Get the biopsy and see the original derm.

Your mom is right about the locs and your thin spot. Do not start locs or anything that stresses your scalp or keeps you from applying medicine to your scalp until you see your dermatologist. Locs will not solve the problem hun.

I wish you had kept that appointment back in March. Please reschedule.

Good-luck! :hugs:

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

Blessed&higlyflavoured

I know you're 35 which is young but some ladies begin to lose their hair early. It's very treatable though with female rogaine.

(my mothers hair began to thin and she uses it to great effect).
If I were you I would get a second opinion from a doctor who you get a good vibe from just to be sure.

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
Sorry I have not kept you all updated on this post. I didn't make it to that appointment in March. In fact i ended up going to another dermatologist altogether. Distance was the main factor. Well, I get in there and I explained what the other doctor thinks may be going on with my head, that I may need a biopsy, etc. This ***** comes in, is standing at least four if not more feet away from me not even touching or really looking at my head like I had leprosy or something. I had to MAKE her look at my head!!! Then she said the biopsy wouldn't make sense, we wouldn't find out anything from it (huh?) and it's probably due to heredity or age. I'm 35!!!!! I wanted to drop kick that *****. I never felt so violated in my life. She prescribed some topical cream and told me to come back next year. What??? You won't see me again ever, ***** unless it's on the street and you better hope I don't run you over. I was so hurt that day, I was almost in tears. I talked to my doctor about seeing a Black dermatologist but she says due to her clientele she is hard to see. Sigh. In the meantime i have considered locs. You all may have seen my posts around here:

I have posted in the Healty locs Support thread as well. Now with stating what's going on with me I have a problem. Even though I have this hair issues and I'm so frustrated I was thinking about even shaving it off, I have really become fixated on these locs. I'm even dreaming about them. It's like they are calling me. Ok, here is the problem, folks. I told my mother about it (big mistake I think) and she was saying well what about your thin spot? That's going to make it worst. As the dreads grow they will get heavy on your hair. Why don't you do bantu knots instead? That would make it grow and it won't be any pressure, you won't have to pay any money, you can do them yourself... blah blah blah... She does make valid points but I don't know. I did go to a loctition for a consultation and she said it wasn't bad. But she could be saying that to get my money too. I am fixated on the locs now. I'm stuck. What do you think I should do? Oh and I forgot to add she said that people with good hair don't get locs (her words, not mine!!!!).

Go back to that doctor who was going to give you a biopsy. Distance doesn't matter when it is your health at stake (unless they are out of state, in which case you would seek a second or in this case third opinion). After all, there my be an underlying (treatable) issue that is causing the thinning (such as low iron/low vitamin d/low ferritin/seborrheic dermatitis/a skin condition that causes miniaturization of the follicle/hormonal changes due to birth control/a thyroid condition etc...).

Last edited:

Phoenix14

You could ask the dermatologist you were originally supposed to go if he/she could suggest someone closer to you.

yorkpatties

This is really upsetting to read. Several of us have been through this before. I didn't feel like typing my entire story out here again when I could just refer you to another thread where we have discussed it before. I implore you to get a second opinion before making any final decisions. Good luck.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=569133

CuteMeeka

LongCurlyLocks have you had your vitamin D levels checked? I had similiar issues with thinning strands and stunted growth.

Me too. When vitamin C was mentioned above I thought about Vitamin D. Low vitamin D levels took my hair through hell for the longest. Within a few weeks of taking a high dose of vitamin d things changed for the better. My strands were so thin you could barely see them. Since taking vitamin d, doing coffee rinses and some growth aids, and a new regimen, i am shocked at how thick my hair has gotten. My hair went from thin see through and sort of sick looking to 3inch THICK roots like those girls you see on YouTube. The other hair still looks thin but at least i now see what I'm looking forward too seeing once my hair grows out and the other hair is cut off. Definitely get your vitamin levels checked it can make all the difference.

LongCurlyLocks

Thank you ladies, I will take your advice. BTW, my mom thinks she's hot stuff because you all agreed with her. Whatever... I will try to keep you all posted.

greenandchic

Over the past year and a half I found out numerous reasons why my hair is in the state that its in right now. I had low ferritin levels that was causing excess shedding. My vitamin D levels were dangerously low. I have borderline hypothyroid (most MDs would say that the numbers are "normal", but my ND is treating it anyway and I'm doing so much better).

There could be numerous reasons for hair loss and slow hair growth but it took a Natropathic Doctor to really get to the bottom of it for me.

HanaKuroi

LongCurlyLocks said:
Well I have demanded that I get a biopsy done. I go on October 9th. Will let you know how it turns out.

I hope it isn't the with the derm that acted like you had cooties. That doctor is unprofessional and I wouldn't trust her period!

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y