Weak and brittle hair

Onhergrind09

LexiDior, as my moisture DC, I love Beautiful Textures Rapid Repair Deep Conditioner, at 6.19 for 15oz (with Sally's card) it's reasonably priced and this week it's on sale ($2 off).

In other new with a good leave-in/moisturizer you shouldn't need a separate detangler, it only serves to make your regimen more complicated.

For your itchy scalp, I would recommend a concoction of a light oil of your choice plus tea tree oil, and/or eucalyptus oil and/or lavender oil applied to your scalp and massaged in either every night or every other night.

KittyMeowMeow

You probably have product buildup from all of those various products & multiple DCs per week. Product buildup makes hair really dry and hard because moisture can't reach the strands and they are loaded with gunk! I think you should prepoo, clarify & DC to get your hair on the right track.

As well, I think you are doing too much as others said. Develop a regimen where you do the same thing every week with the same few products (1 shampoo, 1 DC, etc). Write down what you used and a quick note about your results. Note your amount of breakage by taking a photo or counting broken hairs. I know it is time consuming, but it helps to know whether what you are doing is working. I went from 40+ broken hairs in a session, to 0 with this method.

I would start with a basic regimine of washing/DCing 1x/week, then daily/as needed moisture/seal. If you are going to change something, just change 1 thing at a time so you can see what is working. If you want consistent results for your hair, use a consistent regimen.

Also, look for the classic sources of damage in your reg. Using heat too often, color (esp coloring lighter), poor relaxer technique (overlapping, too frequent, etc), non seamless combs, inappropriate brushes, not being gentle with hair, etc.

Last edited:

LexiDior

You probably have product buildup from all of those various products & multiple DCs per week. Product buildup makes hair really dry and hard because moisture can't reach the strands and they are loaded with gunk! I think you should prepoo, clarify & DC to get your hair on the right track.

As well, I think you are doing too much as others said. Develop a regimen where you do the same thing every week with the same few products (1 shampoo, 1 DC, etc). I would start with a basic regimine of washing/DCing 1x/week, then daily/as needed moisture/seal. If you are going to change something, just change 1 thing at a time so you can see what is working. If you want consistent results for your hair, use a consistent regimen.

Also, look for the classic sources of damage in your reg. Using heat too often, color (esp coloring lighter), poor relaxer technique (overlapping, too frequent, etc), non seamless combs, inappropriate brushes, not being gentle with hair, etc.

KittyMeowMeow
I used my clarifying shampoo last week but yes i need to simplify what I do and actually stick to it, currently i have set reggie. And where does everyone get these seamless combs i keep hearing about??

Carmelella

LexiDior said:
I dont really have a regimen, i just make sure I DC at least 3x a week, and co wash at least once a week. im two months post relaxer also.
Products:

Nubian Heritage Repair & Extend Hair Butter
Organix biotin & collagen shampoo/conditioner
Garnier Fructis Length & Strength
Aphogee Keratin & Green Tea Reconstructor
Garnier Fructis Fall Fight Strand Saver
MN
Profectiv Mega Growth Deep Conditioner
Elasta QP Mango Moisturizer
Aphogee Deep Moisture Shampoo
Frizz-Ease Hydrating Conditioner
S-curl
ORS Replenishing Pak
ORS HairRepair moisturizer
ORS HairRepair Conditioner
VO5 Moisture Milk
Coconut Oil
EVOO
Mane N Tail Conditioner
Profectiv Growth Lotion

I tried to read through this huge list and I couldn't. Perhaps you're doing too much. If your hair is relaxed maybe 4 washes a week is just too much manipulation when you add detangling, air drying and detangling again, and i'm guessing combjng through products and smoothing??? The front of my hair cant handle any manipulation while the back seems to retain length no matter what I do to it. Solution: leave it alone. Try it.. See if it helps

FemmeFatale

It sounds like product overload to me. Too much product and manipulation.

I wear installs as my method of protective styling, so when my hair is out I give it intense DC treatments since I am relaxed, but that's 2 DC/ washes per week with Joico and ORS Replenishing conditioner. Anything more than that is excessive.

OT: The ORS Replenishing conditioner isn't a good moisturizing one?

KittyMeowMeow

LexiDior
There are great seamless combs at https://www.hotcombs.net/

I and a lot of people have and love this:

http://www.hotcombs.net/magic-star-jumbo-rake/

JoyBelle

LexiDior Sounds like Protein Overload to me as well. I dealt with Protein Overload last spring and had to cut all protein - including coconut oil - out of my rotation.

Looks like you have already clarified which means you are well on the way to recovery.

If you can steam with your DC, do so - either with a steamer or the wet towel method.

Baggy 1-2x per week (I used castor oil because of its thickness).

two conditioners I loved in recovery:
Bedhead moisture maniac
Aussie 3 min (I had to mention again because this is easy to find and works well in this situation).

You'll beat this!:yep:

Last edited: