Naturals considering TexLaxing??

SweetSunshine

Hi everyone!
I've recently joined LHCF after lurking for many years. I've been natural since 2006, and have gotten pretty good growth from learning how to care for my hair. After a year of research (and stalking this site :look:), I've decided to texlax my hair in February. Are there any other ladies who have been natural for an extended period of time and are considering texlaxing?

Lets support one another as we begin this new journey together!

dicapr

Just wanted to say good luck. I decided to relax went back natural and now have a keratin treatment. You have to figure out what works best for your hair.

SweetSunshine

Just wanted to say good luck. I decided to relax went back natural and now have a keratin treatment. You have to figure out what works best for your hair.

Thank you for your reply dicapr. I figured after years of being relaxed, then more years of being natural, I'd try something new. I'm all about healthy hair:yep: Do you like the Keratin treatment? I've heard mixed reviews about it, but I'm very knowledgeable about the process.

dicapr

I love the treatment. I gives me the hair I always wanted. I have frizz free curls when I want, more defined braid outs, and my flat irons last longer. I have also seen a reduction in SSKs. I wish you the best with you relax journey.

Perfexion

I just texlaxed after 20 months of being natural. I don't know if that counts. I didn't really notice a difference. I'm thinking about trying a keratin treatment in a few months too.

SweetSunshine

I just texlaxed after 20 months of being natural. I don't know if that counts. I didn't really notice a difference. I'm thinking about trying a keratin treatment in a few months too.

What relaxer did you use, and how long did you leave it on? And what hair type are you? Sorry for the barrage of questions, I'm just learning as much as I can before I take the plunge lol. Thanks for the reply.

Tangles

Hi everyone!
I've recently joined LHCF after lurking for many years. I've been natural since 2006, and have gotten pretty good growth from learning how to care for my hair. After a year of research (and stalking this site :look:), I've decided to texlax my hair in February. Are there any other ladies who have been natural for an extended period of time and are considering texlaxing?

Lets support one another as we begin this new journey together!

I also went natural in 2006...I posted in the Random Thoughts thread that I'm considering texturizing my hair..last time my hair was out(in box braids) I was so frustrated that I actually bought a Texturizer but of course I haven't pulled the trigger:blush: but I'm still on the fence:ohwell:

mrs.reese

I self- texlaxed last week after 4 years of being natural. I love it. Absolutely no regrets!
I used ORS Lye Relaxer in Normal. I knew my hair is low porosity, so that is why I chose to go with Lye. A week before my relaxer I did a medium protein treatment. I did a midstep protein treatment with aphogee 2 min prior to neutralizing with ORS neutralizing shampoo. I watched videos on youtube about relaxing virgin hair. I applied the relaxer to the shaft first, then ends, then the roots. Processed for a total of 13 min Here are pics.

Just gotta work on my flat ironing skills then it will be all good!:spinning:
I'm telling you wash day today was sooooo easy. Sooo quick. I love it.

Attachments

• IMG_0018.jpg
    IMG_0018.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 704
  • IMG_0029.jpg
    IMG_0029.jpg
    444.7 KB · Views: 798
  • Photo on 1-7-13 at 10.07 AM.jpg
    Photo on 1-7-13 at 10.07 AM.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 626

SweetSunshine

I self- texlaxed last week after 4 years of being natural. I love it. Absolutely no regrets!
I used ORS Lye Relaxer in Normal. I knew my hair is low porosity, so that is why I chose to go with Lye. A week before my relaxer I did a medium protein treatment. I did a midstep protein treatment with aphogee 2 min prior to neutralizing with ORS neutralizing shampoo. I watched videos on youtube about relaxing virgin hair. I applied the relaxer to the shaft first, then ends, then the roots. Processed for a total of 13 min Here are pics.

Just gotta work on my flat ironing skills then it will be all good!:spinning:
I'm telling you wash day today was sooooo easy. Sooo quick. I love it.

mrs.reese OMG!!! Your hair is beyond gorgeous!!! What hair type were you previously? I too will be using the ORS Lye Relaxer in normal, however I am going to add 2 to 3 tbsp of EVOO to slow the relaxer down, as well as put EVOO on my hair strands. Did you add anything to your relaxer? I was going to relax by putting on shaft, roots and finally ends. Can you tell me why you chose to relax your roots last instead of your ends?

I am so jealous that your wash day was fast and easy! It took me almost an hour just to wash and another hour to detangle. I repeat, I am jealous :lol:

Sorry for the million questions, I just love your results and my hair looks similar to yours. Thanks a lot!

antavia009

So would texlaxing kind of stretch your curls? And if I do it I shouldnt pull the relaxer from roots to ends?

renren

Hey,

Im texlaxed/texturized... I love it.. I have was not a natural for very long before I did it tho.. was probably natural for about a year.

mrs.reese

mrs.reese OMG!!! Your hair is beyond gorgeous!!! What hair type were you previously? I too will be using the ORS Lye Relaxer in normal, however I am going to add 2 to 3 tbsp of EVOO to slow the relaxer down, as well as put EVOO on my hair strands. Did you add anything to your relaxer? I was going to relax by putting on shaft, roots and finally ends. Can you tell me why you chose to relax your roots last instead of your ends?

I am so jealous that your wash day was fast and easy! It took me almost an hour just to wash and another hour to detangle. I repeat, I am jealous :lol:

Sorry for the million questions, I just love your results and my hair looks similar to yours. Thanks a lot!

I love to answer your questions no problem! No I did not add anything to the relaxer. I watched videos on YouTube about relaxing virgin hair. i think the title was relaxing virgin hair at home the right way. It was explained that due to the heat from our scalp, the roots process quicker. That is why I did my roots last. My roots processed for about 6 min total. The lady in the video kept referring to a "poodle look" that one could get if the roots were relaxed before the ends. I guess meaning silky roots and puffy ends. I think I was 4a prior to relaxing.

Honey Bee

im tempted too but i have fine hair....im.so afraid of breakage. or ending up.with week hair.

i might do it when i hit my final goal though
@coolsista-paris, This is not meant as encouragement :look:... however, I too have fine hair and am texlaxed. I add about an oz of Aphogee 2 min to my relaxers and dust monthly. Also, I don't stretch, I TU every 8-10 wks because my hair can't take that line of demarcation. Just FYI. :look:

SweetSunshine

I'm natural and have been for a decade. I'm relaxing/texlaxing as soon as my products arrive. I can't wait!

longhairdeaming, What relaxer will you be using? I'm so nosy! I'm excited to, I will be tex-laxing in about 3 weeks. Are you doing anything to prep your hair before the procedure such as protein treatments a week or so before?

SweetSunshine

So would texlaxing kind of stretch your curls? And if I do it I shouldnt pull the relaxer from roots to ends?

antavia009, Yes, the purpose of Texlaxing is to stretch out or loosen whatever hair type you currently have. For ladies who have tight curls and coils, their curls would be loosened. I like the method that mrs.reese used. She put the relaxer on the shaft of her hair, then the ends and finally the roots. Once it is on, you shouldn't do any extra combing or smoothing because it would make your hair straighter rather than elongating the curls that are present. HTH! :yep:

SweetSunshine

I love to answer your questions no problem! No I did not add anything to the relaxer. I watched videos on YouTube about relaxing virgin hair. i think the title was relaxing virgin hair at home the right way. It was explained that due to the heat from our scalp, the roots process quicker. That is why I did my roots last. My roots processed for about 6 min total. The lady in the video kept referring to a "poodle look" that one could get if the roots were relaxed before the ends. I guess meaning silky roots and puffy ends. I think I was 4a prior to relaxing.

That makes a lot of sense, thanks so much! This is my last question (maybe lol) when you texlaxed, did you do it in sections? Or did you do it all at once? I'm asking because I was thinking of doing my hair in either 3 or 4 sections (texlax, protein treatment, neutralize, rinse, then start process again with next section). Only because the back of my hair is looser than the front of my hair and I don't want to overprocess. I shall wait patiently for your answer mrs.reese :yep:

mrs.reese

That makes a lot of sense, thanks so much! This is my last question (maybe lol) when you texlaxed, did you do it in sections? Or did you do it all at once? I'm asking because I was thinking of doing my hair in either 3 or 4 sections (texlax, protein treatment, neutralize, rinse, then start process again with next section). Only because the back of my hair is looser than the front of my hair and I don't want to overprocess. I shall wait patiently for your answer mrs.reese :yep:

Yes I uses the half and half method. I did the back first. (Relaxed mid step protein neutralized) then did the first half. Jeni from justgrowalready.com has a tutorial on how to relax in sections.

CocoGlow

Hey SweetSunshine .... welcome

I've too have been natural since 2006 and will be texlaxing this month (hopefully next week!) :grin:

I've gone through sooo many ups & downs with my natural hair. Last year this time I chopped it all off due to frustration with long long long detangling sessions. My hair is very kinky and then on top of that, it's extremely dense so I have a LOT of fine strands that love to intertwine & knot etc.

Another thing is my scalp....she's fussy and loves to be washed so I can't even wait to wash once a week like most naturals. So frequent washing & frequent detangling sessions made me almost loose my mind so I cut it all off and have been rocking a ceasar cut all year.

I kind of wish I had decided to texlax last January instead of chopping all my hair off (I was about arm pit length) but this chop gave me a much needed year of carefree hair!

I just started letting my hair grow back a few months ago and plan to give long loose natural hair one more try with texlaxing. If that doesn't work it's either back to the ceasar or back to locs.

It's good that you're doing research so that you are well prepared. Between LHCF & Youtube I feel ready...nervous...but so ready!! :yep:

SweetSunshine

Hey @SweetSunshine .... welcome

I've too have been natural since 2006 and will be texlaxing this month (hopefully next week!) :grin:

I've gone through sooo many ups & downs with my natural hair. Last year this time I chopped it all off due to frustration with long long long detangling sessions. My hair is very kinky and then on top of that, it's extremely dense so I have a LOT of fine strands that love to intertwine & knot etc.

Another thing is my scalp....she's fussy and loves to be washed so I can't even wait to wash once a week like most naturals. So frequent washing & frequent detangling sessions made me almost loose my mind so I cut it all off and have been rocking a ceasar cut all year.

I kind of wish I had decided to texlax last January instead of chopping all my hair off (I was about arm pit length) but this chop gave me a much needed year of carefree hair!

I just started letting my hair grow back a few months ago and plan to give long loose natural hair one more try with texlaxing. If that doesn't work it's either back to the ceasar or back to locs.

It's good that you're doing research so that you are well prepared. Between LHCF & Youtube I feel ready...nervous...but so ready!! :yep:

Hi NappyRina, thanks for the welcome!

I totally understand where you are coming from with the ups and downs....Sounds like we have similar hair stories. Due to my scalp I also have to co-wash 2x a week and the detangling process is:nono:. I am so glad I have people who are embarking on this new Texlax journey with me! It'll be great to have some encouragement and someone to compare pics with lol. What relaxer/methods do you plan on using?

Perfexion

What relaxer did you use, and how long did you leave it on? And what hair type are you? Sorry for the barrage of questions, I'm just learning as much as I can before I take the plunge lol. Thanks for the reply.

No problem. I used Affirm Fiberguard cut with oil. I left it in for 15 minutes (although I probably needed a few more minutes but I was scared). I'm 4a/b. I didn't really get the results I wanted because I was afraid to leave it in longer. I DID not want straight hair! I just wanted to slightly relax my hair natural hair pattern so that it hangs a little more. I probably could use a corrective texlaxer.

CocoGlow

Hi @NappyRina, thanks for the welcome!

I totally understand where you are coming from with the ups and downs....Sounds like we have similar hair stories. Due to my scalp I also have to co-wash 2x a week and the detangling process is:nono:. I am so glad I have people who are embarking on this new Texlax journey with me! It'll be great to have some encouragement and someone to compare pics with lol. What relaxer/methods do you plan on using?

SweetSunshine

Since my hair is so short (about an inch) my process will probably be different than most people. I'm assuming that I can do it all in one step but since my hair is so dense it might be a little difficult to do it all in a good time frame. Also since I have never done this before and have never used this product (Alter Ego Linange Shea Butter Texturizer) I don't know what to expect in terms of how long it will take to loosen my texture up. I will have to keep checking my hair to see if the change is more visible or by feel.

This will really be trial & error but I figure if it goes terribly wrong I can always cut & start all over in a few months... or if it's underprocessed I can do a corrective on the underprocessed hair later..... we shall see!! :spinning:

I know some people practice in the mirror with a thick conditioner to kind of get a sense of how long it may take to apply the relaxer to their hair or new growth...but there is still a learning curve for how long to leave the actual relaxer in after application :ohwell:

Which relaxer/method do you plan to use?

SweetSunshine

@SweetSunshine

Since my hair is so short (about an inch) my process will probably be different than most people. I'm assuming that I can do it all in one step but since my hair is so dense it might be a little difficult to do it all in a good time frame. Also since I have never done this before and have never used this product (Alter Ego Linange Shea Butter Texturizer) I don't know what to expect in terms of how long it will take to loosen my texture up. I will have to keep checking my hair to see if the change is more visible or by feel.

This will really be trial & error but I figure if it goes terribly wrong I can always cut & start all over in a few months... or if it's underprocessed I can do a corrective on the underprocessed hair later..... we shall see!! :spinning:

I know some people practice in the mirror with a thick conditioner to kind of get a sense of how long it may take to apply the relaxer to their hair or new growth...but there is still a learning curve for how long to leave the actual relaxer in after application :ohwell:

Which relaxer/method do you plan to use?

NappyRina,

I think doing a practice run is good, I plan on doing one on my next cowash day just to time myself and get a feel for what I'm doing. My hair is 11-12 inches long, so I will be texlaxing in sections (either 2 or 3 haven't decided). I plan on doing the following:

- Basing my scalp and perimeter of head with vaseline the night before.
- Basing my scalp the day of.
- Using shed hairs from various locations of my head, I plan to do a strand test to determine best length of time to leave relaxer on (in order to achieve the look I want)
- Place a light coating of EVOO on my hair strands concentrating on my ends
- Add about 2 to 3 tbsp of EVOO to the ORS Lye Relaxer in Normal. This will slow down the process.
- After relaxing, I will use Aphogee 2 Minute Reconstructor, then follow up with Elasta QP Stop Action Neutralizing Shampoo
- Once I shampoo (as many times as needed) and all of the relaxer is out, I will go on with a conditioner (Tresemme' Naturals w/jojoba oil and coconut oil) and I guess a DC....
- Finally, I hope to smile when all of this is over:yep:

I'm very excited and my SO is too... lol

SweetSunshine

No problem. I used Affirm Fiberguard cut with oil. I left it in for 15 minutes (although I probably needed a few more minutes but I was scared). I'm 4a/b. I didn't really get the results I wanted because I was afraid to leave it in longer. I DID not want straight hair! I just wanted to slightly relax my hair natural hair pattern so that it hangs a little more. I probably could use a corrective texlaxer.

Perfexion,

Is the Affirm Fiberguard lye or no lye? When you say you didn't get the results you wanted, was it because you wanted your hair to be looser? I understand not wanting straight hair, I refuse to get it and will do everything in my power to make sure texture is left in my strands!

antavia009

I have a fro. About five or six inches, I'm not sure. I like my texture (sometimes) but I'm afraid that it won't go "down" if that makes since. Like what if it never decides to lay down a bit versus growing out and up into a bigger fro. Soooo I'm still debating about texlaxing. :think:

Before and After pictures anyone?

coolsista-paris

@coolsista-paris, This is not meant as encouragement :look:... however, I too have fine hair and am texlaxed. I add about an oz of Aphogee 2 min to my relaxers and dust monthly. Also, I don't stretch, I TU every 8-10 wks because my hair can't take that line of demarcation. Just FYI. :look:

wow. thank you. do you get to your goals as you dust every month?
also if you do have pictures do you mind sharing?

my hair loves apoghee 2 min.

thanks

CocoGlow

SweetSunshine

Your plan looks great! I'm sure it will come out awesome and since you have so much hair you will have to apply your relaxer to the length & ends first then the scalp, but I think doing it in sections will give you even results all over...

Can't wait to see your before & after pics....mine will be less dramatic with only 1 inch of hair! :lol: