Hip Length (HL) 2013 Challenge!!

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
Checking in. Yes I know its only the 3rd of Jan but I'm checking in anyway. LOL! With that said, I have nothing new to report. (giggling) Rocking my bob wig until 8 weeks post & will wear hair down for a week then back in a wig for another 8 weeks. I will continue to do this until I am able to ween myself off wigs. ;)

blackindia07

Ladies I dont know what to do...my hair seems to be getting thinner and thinner. I know some of it is due to the PJ in me...I keep experimenting. But now Im wondering if some of it isnt due to the fact that I am 33 weeks post. Maybe I should just end this stretch...IDK :cry2:

Im getting my hair done this weekend and I have to admit Im scared to see it... :nono:

ManeStreet

Ladies I dont know what to do...my hair seems to be getting thinner and thinner. I know some of it is due to the PJ in me...I keep experimenting. But now Im wondering if some of it isnt due to the fact that I am 33 weeks post. Maybe I should just end this stretch...IDK :cry2:

Im getting my hair done this weekend and I have to admit Im scared to see it... :nono:

Could it just look thinner because of the difference between the two textures?

blackindia07

Could it just look thinner because of the difference between the two textures?

ManeStreet...no I wish it were only that. Most ppl dont see it but I do. My hair is significantly thinner than it was this time last year. I have posted about my 2 setbacks, one from using Roux porosity control too often and the second from a particular brand of coconut milk that was making my hair mat. But because I am constantly trying new things it took a while for me to figure out the culprits in those 2 instance and by the time I did they had done a good amount of damage followed by a HORRIBLE haircut I got from my sister.

Ive been wearing braidouts for the last month trying to give my hair a break from heat while being able to moisturize constantly (I dont PS). Though I like the way it looks Im not certain that braidouts are really a good option for me either. I feel like my hair tangles a lot and I hear constant snapping as I rebraid (which I do every night).

I am in the middle of a long term stretch debating on going natural depending on how things go. But now Im not sure...

pre_medicalrulz

blackindia07

Can you tell me more about your setback with Roux? I'm asking because I used it for the 1st time last week and was debating how often I should use it. Right now I'm deciding once after every relaxer. Today I took my hair down and saw little breakage. Haven't seen that in over a year. so I was thinking protein overload because I used the Roux right after a protein treatment. Any thoughts?

blackindia07

@blackindia07

Can you tell me more about your setback with Roux? I'm asking because I used it for the 1st time last week and was debating how often I should use it. Right now I'm deciding once after every relaxer. Today I took my hair down and saw little breakage. Haven't seen that in over a year. so I was thinking protein overload because I used the Roux right after a protein treatment. Any thoughts?

pre_medicalrulz the first time I used it I saw huge difference in my hair...it was shinier, looked healthier and was "heavier". So I figured if it did all that using it one time...imagine what it would do if I used it every week right??? WRONG! My hair started getting very very dry and was breaking but it took a while for me to figure out why. I was using it too often...and I have not used it since. LOL

Ill probably start again but only every couple of months. HTH

pre_medicalrulz

pre_medicalrulz the first time I used it I saw huge difference in my hair...it was shinier, looked healthier and was "heavier". So I figured if it did all that using it one time...imagine what it would do if I used it every week right??? WRONG! My hair started getting very very dry and was breaking but it took a while for me to figure out why. I was using it too often...and I have not used it since. LOL

Ill probably start again but only every couple of months. HTH

oh wow! Thanks for that. I will monitor my usage from here on out. Thanks!

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B

I would end the stretch.... also do you find that it's shed hair? If so tea rinsing may help.

blackindia07

I would end the stretch.... also do you find that it's shed hair? If so tea rinsing may help.

I don't think it's shed so much as broken hair. I know I should just texlax but I feel like to texlax after all of this would have made everything I went thru for nothing. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face....

Leeda.the.Paladin

ManeStreet...no I wish it were only that. Most ppl dont see it but I do. My hair is significantly thinner than it was this time last year. I have posted about my 2 setbacks, one from using Roux porosity control too often and the second from a particular brand of coconut milk that was making my hair mat. But because I am constantly trying new things it took a while for me to figure out the culprits in those 2 instance and by the time I did they had done a good amount of damage followed by a HORRIBLE haircut I got from my sister.

Ive been wearing braidouts for the last month trying to give my hair a break from heat while being able to moisturize constantly (I dont PS). Though I like the way it looks Im not certain that braidouts are really a good option for me either. I feel like my hair tangles a lot and I hear constant snapping as I rebraid (which I do every night).

I am in the middle of a long term stretch debating on going natural depending on how things go. But now Im not sure...

How did you wear your hair before trying the braid outs? Flatironed?

blackindia07

Washed and set 1x a week. I really feel like that's what I should go back to but I was looking for a something else because maintaining that has been Difficult. I'm having a hard time setting my own hair since its it's texlaxed now it's not as easy to detangle and set and also because its longer. Oh and let's not forget how time consuming it is...

QueenAmaka

Live, Love, Laugh :)
Alright alright alright!! I am in! :grin:

Waist length will not be long enough for me (although when I started my ultimate goal was APL :spinning:

our current hair length (include photo)
MBL (see siggie)

current hair status (natural, transitioning, relaxed, texlaxed?)
relaxed

current hair issues (dryness, breakage, etc)
none thank god :)

current regimen and products:
Relax minimum of 12 weeks max of 16 weeks with Optimum no lye, sulfur oil (liquid gold and green magic), conditioners (Aubrey Organics, biolage, organix, amla masks, moisturize and seal daily, wigs beginning at 6 - 8 weeks post, hair vitamins when I remember

future regimen changes/plans (if any):
will be incorporating more tea rinses; also will be doing some experimentation with cayenne pepper :burn:

long term plan for 2013 to reach hip
consistency

post-hip plans (maintain? keep growing? cut? etc)
maintain at hip

Anything else you'd like to add about your hair or length goals/plans
Still pinching myself that Hip Length is a real possibility in my future. 3 years ago I would have never thought my hair would be the length it is now

SmilingElephant

Im still in...just went and bought some Dominican rinse out conditioners. Deep conditioned my hair today after shampooing it and doing a good detangling. :)

Lucia

Washed and set 1x a week. I really feel like that's what I should go back to but I was looking for a something else because maintaining that has been Difficult. I'm having a hard time setting my own hair since its it's texlaxed now it's not as easy to detangle and set and also because its longer. Oh and let's not forget how time consuming it is...

blackindia07

ARe you still transitioning? If so then it sounds like you should go back to what had been working all through your transition, don't give up it's not easy. Jumping on every bandwagon and switching products constantly a la PJ is the worst thing you can do while transitioning, it's also just bad news in general when growing out your hair too cause you have no idea what's causing problems with your hair. You know this already but it needs repeating your natural hair reacts differently to the same products as your relaxed hair does.

If you can give me some details about what you've been doing? Start from wash/co-wash to condition to styles, including product names any heat used caps dryers steamers.

About Roux porosity control it's best used when you need to restore the pH balance in your hair thus reducing the porosity and giving your hair back that heaviness then leave it on the shelf, if it's used too much like protein treatments it can harm your hair. It should only be used when you need it.

mayoo

Checking in: Just ordered the Bee Mine Luscious Balancing Moisturizer and juicy Spritz :grin:

I've been looking for a good moisturizer and leave-in since my HJ began back in 2009, so I hope they are as great as everyone says..... They better be for £30:whip:

Plus, since I'm back to college tomorrow I'm gonna use it as a chance to start increasing my water intake, back to my usual litre a day. :grin:

Also thinking of how I can narrow down my whole regimen to only about five products if I can; trying to keep it simple. I know it's gonna be difficult but it's gotta be done

ChocoKitty

Saving my spot. I've been a bit scissor happy... Will come back and edit soon.

I was supposed to add a pic and etc but forgot before the installing of my yarn twists. Plus, I pulled out the scissors again so I'm going to sit this one out for a moment. :nono: Attaining and maintaining healthy waist length again will be my personal challenge for June 2013. But I'm still cheering y'all on from the sideline!:grin:

Jewell

Still hanging in there...I'm 5 weeks post baby and no postpartum shedding at all, thank God! Doing low-manipulation big time...PS'ing around the clock like I usually do but now its even more for convenience than before. Skin and scalp are a bit dry so Im increasing my fish oil, cod liver oil, and doing HOT's. I believe that with careful attention and my 98% of the time PS'ing routine, I can definitely make HL this year! Happy hair growing to you ladies!

marta9227

Claiming waist. I was solidly there but I had to trim some thin ends as I'm going on 15 months post. Should probably trim more and even out, but... No lol! The ends I kept are healthy. So anyways, officially grazing, but I claim grazing lol. On to hip baby!

ForumRunner_20130107_221308.jpg

Sent from my ice cold evo 3d y'all!

pre_medicalrulz

Claiming waist. I was solidly there but I had to trim some thin ends as I'm going on 15 months post. Should probably trim more and even out, but... No lol! The ends I kept are healthy. So anyways, officially grazing, but I claim grazing lol. On to hip baby!

Sent from my ice cold evo 3d y'all!

Yessssss! Go girl! Congrats ;)

mayoo

The EVOO pre-poo bun I will be wearing until tomorrow afternoon when I wash my hair (pic) :grin:

Also, does anyone else's scalp itch in the few days after they've washed it with shampoo?? :pullhair:

It's been happening to me over the last couple of years... i think I'm allergic to Jason's Shampoo (staple) :cry3: because I really can't stop scratching :wallbash:. But it's the only shampoo that I've found that gets my hair REALLY clean:bath2:

Gonna try something new tomorrow and see if that works

Attachments

• IMG_0953.jpg
    IMG_0953.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 73

regina07

O Lawd! I shouldn't be allowed near a laptop. I'm posting comparison pics and I'm gonna hurry up because it's taken me way too long to get this far!:ohwell:

#1 11/11. 4 months after joining LCHF
#2 02/12. good condition after consistent DC'ing, baggying and ps'ing
#3 02/12.
#4 10/12. After 4-5" trim. Was grazing hip but had to get rid of the fried ends
#5 01/13. Starting pic for 2013. Heading back toward HP, TBL and (maybe) classic

Some changes for 2013
No elastics for my bun or ponytails. I think they may cause mid-strand breaks and I seem to have a lot of them

DC'ing weekly with Chi Deep Brilliance conditioner. My hair is loving protein right now

Flat ironing every other week. As much as I love my curls, my strands are too fine. I can't keep up with the SSK.

Baggying nightly and seal ends with vaseline. I'm trying heavy duty sealing because my hair laughs off creams and oils.

Not gonna lie -- I wish I were further along in my hair journey; wish my hair was thicker but you know what? it is what it is. I neglected it for 6 months and my retention shows. :nono:

It's all about re-committing to a consistent basic routine of moisturizing, sealing and trimming.

Here's to HL in 2013!:grin:

Attachments

• 11_11to02_12.jpg
    11_11to02_12.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 91
  • Feb_to_Oct_2012.jpg
    Feb_to_Oct_2012.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 12312012.jpg
    12312012.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 81

ManeStreet

The EVOO pre-poo bun I will be wearing until tomorrow afternoon when I wash my hair (pic) :grin:

Also, does anyone else's scalp itch in the few days after they've washed it with shampoo?? :pullhair:

It's been happening to me over the last couple of years... i think I'm allergic to Jason's Shampoo (staple) :cry3: because I really can't stop scratching :wallbash:. But it's the only shampoo that I've found that gets my hair REALLY clean:bath2:

Gonna try something new tomorrow and see if that works

No I dont itch after shampooing. If anything it stops the itchies.

ManeStreet

Ongoing to do a new hair style tomorrow & its gonna be Super easy. Its a spin on a hairstyle my aunt would do on me when I was a kid. And it will protect my ends.