Questions About Transitioning

sunnydey

Hello everyone!:wave:
I have finally made up my mind to transition from relaxed to natural hair. It will only be 15 weeks post-relaxer for me on Friday, 07/15/05. I have been wearing my hair in corn row braided hairstyles lately. I need you wonderful ladies advice on how to properly shampoo, condition, and handle my hair during this transition period. Here are some thoughts/questions that have come to mind that I would like to get your advice about how to properly take care of my hair.

1.) Should I continue to do pre-poo conditoner treatments before shampooing my hair even though I won't be getting chemical relaxers anymore?
2.) Should I continue to use the same shampoos as I did with relaxed hair? For example, Mizani, Nioxin, Kera Care, Kenra, Biosilk, and Biolage shampoos, I am not sure if these can be used on natural.
3.) Should I use the same conditoners (that go with the above named shampoos) as I have with my relaxed hair even once I'm fully transitioned to natural?
4.) What are some low-maintenance styles that I can wear other than braids?
5.) What are some good styles to wear in the hot, and humid, summer weather?
6.) What are some good daily moisturizers for natural type 4A hair?

These are all of the questions that I can think of at this time. If I think of anything else I will add them.

TIA,
sunnydey:rosebud:

"Have a happy, healthy hair growing day!"

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
sunnydey said:
1.) Should I continue to do pre-poo conditoner treatments before shampooing my hair even though I won't be getting chemical relaxers anymore?
2.) Should I continue to use the same shampoos as I did with relaxed hair? For example, Mizani, Nioxin, Kera Care, Kenra, Biosilk, and Biolage shampoos, I am not sure if these can be used on natural.
3.) Should I use the same conditoners (that go with the above named shampoos) as I have with my relaxed hair even once I'm fully transitioned to natural?
For questions 1-3, try to be as consistent as possible with your regime. I had a problem with staying consistent while I was transitioning which led me to doing the big chop. :grin:

For question 4-5, some low-maintenance styles and styles you can wear in any climate would be buns, ponytails, and updos.

For question 6, I used S-Curl as a moisturizer. Others have had success with different products so hopefully you'll get more responses.

HTH! Congrats on your decision to transition to natural! Take care! ;)

Country gal

A lot of your questions have been pre answered in other threads so don't feel alarmed if you don't get a lot of responses. It is nothing personal. Congrats on making a decision.

I did twist outs and twists as a transitioning style. Roller sets were a godsend last year along with braids.

I still used some of my old products from my relaxed day and still do today. It's basically an experimentation with a lot of hits or misses with products.

ThursdayGirl

Hi sunny! Welcome to the board. I would also recommend looking at the transitioner's support threat that Cichelle mentioned. I am also a 4A and I'm over 7 months into my transition... here are my answers... I hope they help.

sunnydey said:

I would say yes... this is especially important later into my transition. I'm not sure how you're pre-pooing... but once you start having a battle between the two textures, you might find that a moisturizing pre-poo (I use a moisturizing conditioner mixed with honey) is very helpful when you need to detangle. It makes the hair more supple for detangling.

Sure. I use kenra, biolage and keracare conditioners... but I also use cheapie conditioners for my conditioner washes. (except for when I clarify... I don't use shampoo anymore... its too drying) You might find though...that as you transition.... your hair stops reacting the same to some products and you may have to change your routine a bit.

I like twists...twist-outs... ponytails... curly sets etc.... buns.... I style about once a week and let my hair rest otherwise.

I stick with twist-outs and updos.

Good question! I am working on this myself. I use jojoba oil, shea butter... sometimes Scurl... water....

Good Luck!

chocolate01

Congrats on your decision is become natural. My answers are below:

Questions 1-3: You have to experiment with your hair and pay attention to how it reacts to the things that you used to do. I was never one for pre-poos so I never did it during my transition and I don't feel like I experienced any problems because I didn't do them. I still use a lot of the same products on my hair that I did when I was relaxed, again this is where experimenting comes in.

Question 4-5: I wore flexi rods set for about 2 months of my transition. Braidout, twistouts, and ponytails for the rest of my transition.

Question 6: I liked ORS carrot oil, Elasta QP mago butter, and just plain ole water.

sunnydey

Country gal said:
A lot of your questions have been pre answered in other threads so don't feel alarmed if you don't get a lot of responses. It is nothing personal. Congrats on making a decision.

I did twist outs and twists as a transitioning style. Roller sets were a godsend last year along with braids.

I still used some of my old products from my relaxed day and still do today. It's basically an experimentation with a lot of hits or misses with products.

Thank you, country gal! I will continue to use the products that I have been having success with.

sunnydey

ThursdayGirl said:
Hi sunny! Welcome to the board. I would also recommend looking at the transitioner's support threat that Cichelle mentioned. I am also a 4A and I'm over 7 months into my transition... here are my answers... I hope they help.

Good Luck!

Thanks Thursday Girl! I will continue the pre-poo and other steps that have worked well for my hair.

sunnydey

hopeful said:
Good luck with your transition Sunnydey!

THANK YOU hopeful and every one who has responded to this thread!!! I appreciate all the advice and the encouragement from each of you.

sunnydey:)
"Have a happy healthy hair growing day!!!":rosebud: