Hair Chalking. Coloring Your Hair With Chalk

empressri

Chalk aint nothing but calcium, not unlike other things in dye that smell and make me gag.

Besides they've been making hair crayons like this since I was in high school. This isn't new.

Tiye

its just a bit of fun, i think they are just trying to show a quick and cheap method, i think kids would like it

I'm not a kid but I wouldn't mind experimenting with some highlights. :) I wonder if chalk shows up on black hair? The celeb examples all have blond hair. I don't want to bother with dye before I know if I'll like the look so this seems like a good way to start - if it works.

Theresamonet

I see a lot of pics of girls chalking their hair on Pinterest. Mostly blonds... I'd love to see how it looks on a dark haired natural.

ETA: Here are some pics on darker hair. I like it. I may try this out.

Last edited:

manter26

Ohh, I want to try it! I didn't think it would show up on dark hair. It's oil pastels right?...not actual chalk?

tru4reele

I find it strange that when black girls put all kinds of crazy bright colors in their head it's viewed as ghetto. When white girls start it's cute and creative. Hmmm...

Seamonster

I find it strange that when black girls put all kinds of crazy bright colors in their head it's viewed as ghetto. When white girls start it's cute and creative. Hmmm...

Look like they hijacked that style from Compton, I used to wear that kinda stuff back in the day. We used spray in color to match our sprayed jeans. You right everyone talks about us ghetto girls, then they go and blatantly bite our style

Angelinhell

I'm actually really excited to try this lol. I've been itching to color my hair soooo bad, but I know that's like breaking the golden rule on the board.

Theresamonet

Ohh, I want to try it! I didn't think it would show up on dark hair. It's oil pastels right?...not actual chalk?

Just soft pastels. Not oil pastels. Here is some info:

Use only “soft pastels”. THESE are our all time faves. Senellier brand pastels have the brightest and most intense pay off we’ve ever seen… and we’ve tried a lot. They’re nearly $4 per piece at Blick, which seems a little expensive, but so is hair color– and hair color removal. Regular chalk doesn’t work the same. It’s harder to transfer and getting it to stick to your hair can be virtually impossible.
Soft chalk pastels can be found at any major art store. Just don’t get “soft chalk” pastels confused for oil pastels. If you’re confused, ask a sales person. Removing oil pastels would be a nightmare, not to mention, they’d feel very sticky.

http://thebeautydepartment.com/2012/01/chalk-it-up/

AHeadOfCoils There is nothing wrong with spray color, if that is what you like. It makes my hair cold, stiff, and crunchy. I don't know how chalking will work out, but it's always nice to find different ways to do things, imo. :yep:

AHeadOfCoils

AHeadOfCoils There is nothing wrong with spray color, if that is what you like. It makes my hair cold, stiff, and crunchy. I don't know how chalking will work out, but it's always nice to find different ways to do things, imo. :yep:

You're totally right!!

@ The bolded... Really!? It really is different strokes for different folks. Spray color does the opposite for my hair. Interesting.

I wonder if the chalk has a "chalky" feeling..

LynnieB

Thanks for the link!! Was trying to explain this to folks on another board.