Long Hair Care Forum
Home Rules Feature Of The Month !! SUBSCRIBE !! Reviews iSpy Blogs Groups Contact Us

Go Back   Long Hair Care Forum > Long Hair Care Forum's Discussion Boards > Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion

User Tag List

Old 06-23-2005, 10:56 PM

Thanked 1,658 Times in 342 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Default Bra Strap to Waist length hair - HELP!! (please)

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here, after lurking for a while, I had to sign up after seeing all your gorgeous, long healthy hair. So I'm certain you will all be able to help me.

I have lots of very thick, natural 3B/C hair and for the last 2 years its been the exact same length, about 2 inches above the top of my bra strap. I've been natural for 6 years, so my hair should be healthy and MUCH longer than that! I also have what looks like a bunch of baby hairs that stick up around my hairline - I call it a fuzz/frizz halo. So when I try to slick my hair back, even with the strongest gels or conditioners - it still looks a bit unkempt.

What am I doing wrong? My regimen is very simple - I was going to a stylist to get my hair washed, blown dry and pressed every week. (he'd also usually deep condition it.) I got trims every 8-12 weeks, I'd wrap my hair in a silk scarf nightly and put KeraCare leave in on my ends.

I still struggle with split ends - not much breakage...some but not much. I shed - there is always hair everywhere!

I've read all about protective styling - I'm interested, I just can't do buns daily. Not only do I get headaches, but I'm scared of tension alopecia...and honestly, with my round face, buns just don't look that great. But, I'd be willing to do them occasionally.

What do I need to do to reach my goal of 3 inches below the bottom of my bra strap?!?!

Please help - especially those w/bra strap length or longer.

I'm going to try to attach a picture of my hair - wet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wet.jpg (12.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg wet2.jpg (10.8 KB, 19 views)
Old 08-04-2005, 05:42 AM

Thanked 1,646 Times in 455 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Default Re: Bra Strap to Waist length hair - HELP!! (please)

Those trims every 8-12 weeks are probably snipping off your growth.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

You also may need to look at what you are doing with your hair during the cold months. I personally keep my natural hair in twists and covered during the cold months. Not only am I protecting it from the weather but also not manipulating it as often.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)

Maybe pressing your hair once a week is too much. Also, how are you styling your hair between presses? If you are using the hot curlers at all, that could cause you problems.

I say try minimizing the heat even more.

And, hey, if I can get my hair to lay down, anybody can!! I use a little Aubrey's aloe vera gel and some castor oil after spraying my hair with water. Then I lightly brush the hair and tie it down with a scarf for about 10 minutes and I get nice shiny wavy laid down edges.

Hair goal: Long, beautiful, versatile, healthy hair.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:15 PM

Thanked 1,787 Times in 316 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)

Welcome to the board. I have to agree with the other ladies. Maybe you are trimmng to often and the weekly presses after blowdrying can be hard on your hair.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Try not trimming as much but make sure to baby your ends really well so they don't thin out and split, cut out that heat, shampoo and deep condition 1-2 times weekly, wear protective styles (twists, braids, buns, etc.,etc.), and most importantly BE GENTLE! Also try taking some supplements such as biotin, a b-complex, and of course a multivitamin.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:15 PM

Thanked 16,232 Times in 2,110 Posts
Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Tagged: 60 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nay
Maybe pressing your hair once a week is too much. Also, how are you styling your hair between presses? If you are using the hot curlers at all, that could cause you problems.

I say try minimizing the heat even more.

And, hey, if I can get my hair to lay down, anybody can!! I use a little Aubrey's aloe vera gel and some castor oil after spraying my hair with water. Then I lightly brush the hair and tie it down with a scarf for about 10 minutes and I get nice shiny wavy laid down edges.
I completely agree with this. I saw red flags immediately after WyldCurlz explained her regime.

Also, Biosilk has a gel called Rock Hard Gelee. It's some heavy duty stuff but I wouldn't recommend heavy usage of any high protein gel.

Leave ppl business alone

SNJ