Long Hair Care Forum
Home Rules Feature Of The Month !! SUBSCRIBE !! Reviews iSpy Blogs Groups Contact Us

Go Back   Long Hair Care Forum > Long Hair Care Forum's Other Topics > Christian Fellowship

User Tag List

Unread 04-08-2012, 07:10 PM

Thanked 15,155 Times in 4,669 Posts
Mentioned: 1210 Post(s)
Tagged: 66 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalmermaid

I observed lent this year even though I'm not Catholic and none of the churches I've ever gone to observe it. It was great. I was able to focus more on Jesus. Setting aside more time in bible study, devotions, fasting and prayer. I plan to make fasting a more regular part of my life.

I really enjoyed watching the different Holy week Masses on EWTN. Very beautiful.
Ditto. I'm not Catholic, either

Sent from my Inspire HD using LHCF
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeterCrazed For This Useful Post:
Galadriel (04-08-2012), naturalmermaid (04-11-2012), Rsgal (04-10-2012)
Unread 04-10-2012, 09:48 PM

Thanked 10,407 Times in 2,501 Posts
Mentioned: 259 Post(s)
Tagged: 17 Thread(s)
Default Re: For Catholics: Q&A

AWESOME video about Mary as the New Eve/Ark of the Covenant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUdYe...layer_embedded
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Belle Du Jour For This Useful Post:
Galadriel (04-11-2012), Rsgal (04-10-2012)
Unread 04-10-2012, 10:43 PM

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalmermaid View Post
I observed lent this year even though I'm not Catholic and none of the churches I've ever gone to observe it. It was great. I was able to focus more on Jesus. Setting aside more time in bible study, devotions, fasting and prayer. I plan to make fasting a more regular part of my life.

I really enjoyed watching the different Holy week Masses on EWTN. Very beautiful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeterCrazed View Post
@naturalmermaid and @JeterCrazed I think its a good thing that you got to experience the Lenten Season. I have a couple of non Catholic friends who belong to a Baptist Church that encouraged its members to observe Lent. Some members agreed to do so and some adamantly resisted. (My friends observed it by praying and fasting. I went with them for the Stations of the Cross on 2 fridays).

This had me researching on this new trend where non apostolic churches are slowly adapting to practicing Lent.

Below is from some church's website taking about Lent.

http://www.walkingtogetherministries...erve-Lent.aspx

"Last Sunday I mentioned to Central Baptist Church that this Wednesday, Ash Wednesday, marked the beginning of Lent. I mentioned that we Baptists have traditionally observed portions of the Christian calendar while ignoring or rejecting other portions, but that there may be good reasons to observe some portions we have traditionally neglected.

Over the last couple of days, I've received comments ranging from appreciation, to curiosity, to questioning of Lent and my mentioning it from the pulpit. So I thought I might just share a few thoughts on the question of whether or not Baptists should observe Lent. In no particular order:
  • The short answer: "Yes" if you find it helpful. "No" if you don't.
  • It is true that we do not find the observance of Lent in the New Testament, but neither do we find the observance of Christmas or one special annual day for Easter (every Sunday was an observance of Easter for the early believers!).
  • Concern is occasionally raised because Lent seems to be a Catholic observance. Sure enough, Catholics observe Lent, but so do and so have many Protestants, albeit moreso in the Magesterial Protestant tradition. (Catholics also, by the way, observe Easter and Christmas, days I'd like to keep around!)
  • It is curious to me that Baptist Christians have more interest in the secular and political calendar than in the historic Christian calendar. For instance, where in the New Testament do we see the early church observing something like Mother's Day, Father's Day, Veteran's Day?
  • Sure, the liturgical calendar presents us with very interesting symbols that we do not see specifically in the Bible. Tomorrow many Christians will be marked on the forehead with ashes for Ash Wednesday. But why, praytell, does this raise eyebrows (when, at least, it has some biblical founding - ashes as a sign of humility and repentance) when our wholesale embrace of clearly non-biblical (not un-biblical, just non-biblical) symbols does not? I speak, for instance, of the following symbols we embrace: the American flag, the Christian flag, the iconic symbol of the cross, the symbol of the fish. Moreso, we embrace culturally-defined symbols all the time: wedding bands, sports symbols, the favorite chants, cheers, dances, motions of our favorite teams, etc.
  • View Lent as a running start to jump into Easter, if that helps.
  • The greatest irony in all of this is the current fad of observing "40 Days of _____" (fill-in-the-blank: Purpose, Prayer, Stewardship, etc.) in Baptist churches. I mean, if we can observe 40 Days of Purpose for Rick Warren why can't we observe the season of Lent, which has a grander historical pedigree, is, I dare say, even more biblically robust (NO knock on Rick Warren intended!), and has been a useful tool for Christians all over the world through the ages? I'll wager my left leg that if LifeWay took Lent, renamed it, put in a package, called it "40 Days of Repentance and Reflection", and created a Leader's Guide and student workbook, Baptists would gobble it up in droves, wear the pre-printed t-shirts, armbands, headbands, etc. Meaning, if we can observe 40 days of kitsch, we can certainly observe 40 days of Lent.
  • NONE of this is to say you should or must observe Lent or you're wrong if you don't. Again, if you find it helpful, do so. If you don't, don't. But it's something to consider.
  • Just thinking aloud..."
*****TAKE SOME TIME TO READ THE COMMENTS.,,they are interesting******

I at the bolded because it is soo true!

Last edited by Rsgal; 04-10-2012 at 10:47 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rsgal For This Useful Post:
Belle Du Jour (04-11-2012), Galadriel (04-11-2012), JeterCrazed (04-11-2012), naturalmermaid (04-11-2012)
Unread 04-11-2012, 12:11 AM

The only thing I don't do is Ash my forehead. Jesus said that we don't need everybody to know we're fasting and look "dismal like the pagans," so I omit that ritual.

But why, @Rsgal, do your friends adamantly resist? I don't understand.

Unread 04-11-2012, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeterCrazed View Post
The only thing I don't do is Ash my forehead. Jesus said that we don't need everybody to know we're fasting and look "dismal like the pagans," so I omit that ritual.

But why, @Rsgal, do your friends adamantly resist? I don't understand.

@JeterCrazed, I wrote that some members of my friends church refused to participate in the observance. From what they told me, I gathered its because like many, they think that is this Catholic thing, yet the Episcopals, Methodists, Presbyterians and Lutherans among others observe it too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rsgal For This Useful Post:
JeterCrazed (04-11-2012)
Unread 04-11-2012, 09:13 AM

The list on books I need/plan to read is growing exponentially

I just came across No Price to High: A Pentecostal Preacher Becomes Catholic. Anyone read this one? It's about a black pentecostal pastor who starts researching worship styles and tries to model his service after the way early Christians worshiped. Lo and behold, it looked eerily similar to Catholicism. So he left his church and took about 50 people in his congregation with him. Oh, and because he was married, he became a deacon, not a priest.

I also want to read Rome Sweet Home. I also received Life of Christ for Easter. So much to read and so little time!

Last edited by Belle Du Jour; 04-11-2012 at 09:18 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Belle Du Jour For This Useful Post:
Galadriel (04-12-2012)
Unread 04-11-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsgal View Post
[*]The greatest irony in all of this is the current fad of observing "40 Days of _____" (fill-in-the-blank: Purpose, Prayer, Stewardship, etc.) in Baptist churches. I mean, if we can observe 40 Days of Purpose for Rick Warren why can't we observe the season of Lent, which has a grander historical pedigree, is, I dare say, even more biblically robust (NO knock on Rick Warren intended!), and has been a useful tool for Christians all over the world through the ages? I'll wager my left leg that if LifeWay took Lent, renamed it, put in a package, called it "40 Days of Repentance and Reflection", and created a Leader's Guide and student workbook, Baptists would gobble it up in droves, wear the pre-printed t-shirts, armbands, headbands, etc. Meaning, if we can observe 40 days of kitsch, we can certainly observe 40 days of Lent.
This is SO true! If Joel Osteen said it, people would be all over it lol. So sad people see something associated with Catholicism and automatically shut down.
JeterCrazed (04-11-2012), Rsgal (04-11-2012)
Unread 04-11-2012, 12:33 PM

Thanked 4,044 Times in 1,413 Posts
Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 22 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeterCrazed

I'm not Catholic but I've always been taught to observe lent. I didn't realize ppl assumed that was something Catholic

Sent from my Mom's iPad using LHCF
Joshua 1:5-9
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OhmyKimB For This Useful Post:
Galadriel (04-12-2012), JeterCrazed (04-11-2012)
Unread 04-11-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle Du Jour

This is SO true! If Joel Osteen said it, people would be all over it lol. So sad people see something associated with Catholicism and automatically shut down.
Is the "Lawd" gif allowed in the Christian forum?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeterCrazed For This Useful Post:
Belle Du Jour (04-11-2012), Rsgal (04-11-2012)
Unread 04-11-2012, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsgal View Post
@naturalmermaid and @JeterCrazed I think its a good thing that you got to experience the Lenten Season. I have a couple of non Catholic friends who belong to a Baptist Church that encouraged its members to observe Lent. Some members agreed to do so and some adamantly resisted. (My friends observed it by praying and fasting. I went with them for the Stations of the Cross on 2 fridays).

This had me researching on this new trend where non apostolic churches are slowly adapting to practicing Lent.

Below is from some church's website taking about Lent.

http://www.walkingtogetherministries...erve-Lent.aspx

• Sure, the liturgical calendar presents us with very interesting symbols that we do not see specifically in the Bible. Tomorrow many Christians will be marked on the forehead with ashes for Ash Wednesday. But why, praytell, does this raise eyebrows (when, at least, it has some biblical founding - ashes as a sign of humility and repentance) when our wholesale embrace of clearly non-biblical (not un-biblical, just non-biblical) symbols does not? I speak, for instance, of the following symbols we embrace: the American flag, the Christian flag, the iconic symbol of the cross, the symbol of the fish. Moreso, we embrace culturally-defined symbols all the time: wedding bands, sports symbols, the favorite chants, cheers, dances, motions of our favorite teams, etc.
  • View Lent as a running start to jump into Easter, if that helps.
  • The greatest irony in all of this is the current fad of observing "40 Days of _____" (fill-in-the-blank: Purpose, Prayer, Stewardship, etc.) in Baptist churches. I mean, if we can observe 40 Days of Purpose for Rick Warren why can't we observe the season of Lent, which has a grander historical pedigree, is, I dare say, even more biblically robust (NO knock on Rick Warren intended!), and has been a useful tool for Christians all over the world through the ages? I'll wager my left leg that if LifeWay took Lent, renamed it, put in a package, called it "40 Days of Repentance and Reflection", and created a Leader's Guide and student workbook, Baptists would gobble it up in droves, wear the pre-printed t-shirts, armbands, headbands, etc. Meaning, if we can observe 40 days of kitsch, we can certainly observe 40 days of Lent.
  • NONE of this is to say you should or must observe Lent or you're wrong if you don't. Again, if you find it helpful, do so. If you don't, don't. But it's something to consider.
  • Just thinking aloud..."
*****TAKE SOME TIME TO READ THE COMMENTS.,,they are interesting******

I at the bolded because it is soo true!
Thank you for this.

I agree with everything the writer wrote. I don't see anything wrong with observing certain times/traditions/holidays as long as I am doing it to honor Christ. I like having special days where we can unite as believers to remember the events in the life and death of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Jesus fasted for 40 days. Why can't we if we choose?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to naturalmermaid For This Useful Post:
Galadriel (04-12-2012), Rsgal (04-11-2012)
Unread 04-11-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalmermaid

Jesus fasted for 40 days. Why can't we if we choose?
Let the church say, "Amen."
I don't care what your beliefs are- Atheist or Zoroastrian. Everyone should strive to be more like Jesus and if he can resist the Devil making rocks into hot, buttered rolls in the desert, I'll be aiight.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeterCrazed For This Useful Post:
Galadriel (04-12-2012), Rsgal (04-11-2012)
Unread 04-12-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle Du Jour View Post
The list on books I need/plan to read is growing exponentially

I just came across No Price to High: A Pentecostal Preacher Becomes Catholic. Anyone read this one? It's about a black pentecostal pastor who starts researching worship styles and tries to model his service after the way early Christians worshiped. Lo and behold, it looked eerily similar to Catholicism. So he left his church and took about 50 people in his congregation with him. Oh, and because he was married, he became a deacon, not a priest.
Thanks for posting this. Will have to look for it. (Will post my review are reading it.)
The Following User Says Thank You to Rsgal For This Useful Post:
Belle Du Jour (04-17-2012)
Unread 04-17-2012, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)

Today is april 17 and we are remembering the Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha.

I googled her, read the wiki page and all that.
Does anyone knows anything about her ?

@auparavant do you know her ?

iherb discount code: ALA649
The Following User Says Thank You to ktykaty For This Useful Post:
Galadriel (04-17-2012)
Unread 04-17-2012, 06:54 PM

Thanked 4,588 Times in 1,509 Posts
Mentioned: 296 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktykaty View Post

I've read of her. She has a very inspiring story. I think Kateri is canonized now (or will be this year). I wish I could go to Rome to see it.

Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha, pray for us.
“When a man loves a woman, he has to become worthy of her. The higher her virtue, the more noble her character, the more devoted she is to truth, justice, goodness, the more a man has to aspire to be worthy of her. The history of civilization could actually be written in terms of the level of its women.” ? Fulton J. Sheen, Life is Worth Living
The Following User Says Thank You to Galadriel For This Useful Post:
auparavant (04-18-2012)
Unread 04-18-2012, 06:53 AM

Thanked 14,304 Times in 3,464 Posts
Mentioned: 352 Post(s)
Tagged: 23 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktykaty View Post

Yes, Mohawk. She's one of my saints and actually answered one of my prayers with 2 white plumes. I go to her many times.
The Following User Says Thank You to auparavant For This Useful Post:
Galadriel (04-18-2012)
Unread 04-21-2012, 12:58 AM

Thanked 13,878 Times in 2,571 Posts
Mentioned: 252 Post(s)
Tagged: 49 Thread(s)

How do you all feel about the recent issue with the nuns?
Unread 05-03-2012, 07:53 PM

ANIMA CHRISTI. (another favourite prayer of mine)

Soul of Christ, sanctify me.
Body of Christ, save me.
Blood of Christ, inebriate me.
Water from the side of Christ, wash me.
Passion of Christ, strengthen me.
O Good Jesus, hear me.
Within Thy wounds hide me.
Suffer me not to be separated from thee.
From the malignant enemy defend me.
In the hour of my death call me.
And bid me come unto Thee,
That with all Thy saints,
I may praise thee
Forever and ever.
Amen.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rsgal For This Useful Post:
Belle Du Jour (05-12-2012), Galadriel (05-24-2012), LongTimeComing (05-20-2012)
Unread 05-12-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicola.kirwan View Post
How do you all feel about the recent issue with the nuns?
It bothered me to be honest. Nuns do so much behind the scenes. The public reprimand bothered me.

Jezu, ufam tobie
The Following User Says Thank You to Belle Du Jour For This Useful Post:
nicola.kirwan (09-01-2012)
Unread 05-12-2012, 05:42 PM

So May is a month to honor/celebrate Mary. What are you doing this month?

Jezu, ufam tobie
auparavant (05-12-2012), Galadriel (05-24-2012)
Unread 05-12-2012, 06:55 PM

Thanked 14,304 Times in 3,464 Posts
Mentioned: 352 Post(s)
Tagged: 23 Thread(s)

Nuns? They received their proper reprimand. I say, follow the bishops, as this is the appropriate decorum. The great falling away...either submit to Christ or find your merry way elsewhere. They cannot force such a change mandated by Christ Himself on His Church.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to auparavant For This Useful Post:
Galadriel (05-24-2012), nicola.kirwan (09-01-2012)