sidney

Last week ...
Me: Lord, how can I give without money?:perplexed
Lord: Donate your time.
Me: Okay, the food bank doesn't need my time.:ohwell:

Today ...
Lord: Check out this thread.
Me: Duh!

I love how God puts us on the same page. I remember your post now:yep:. Loolalooh, we have not because we ask not! Thank you for asking! Maybe that's why I was led to post this.

sidney

Cosigning on sharing the names of reputable organizations. :)

I read some websites from women that raise money for orphans with disabilites...oh my God...it was so moving! This one lady raised thousands in days just by blogging. Wow! God is very moved by those kinds of prayers...and brings in those who need to donate!

sidney

Command them (the rich) to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life. I Timothy 6:18

We find true life when we expend ourselves for others. So let us who are rich be generous to those who lack. Build heavenly treasure using the means you have, the fruits of your good deeds are all you can take with you.

Last edited:

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Sidney, there is a reputable organization I'd like to share called Love a Child Foundation. I know there are lots of programs that are helping Haiti but waited to recommend this one.

Here's a good link too, for anyone who'd like to check these organizations out.. Charity Navigator Rating

Of course, asking God for guidance on where we should put our money is beneficial.

Great thread!

If you ladies personally support organizations that are reputable and give as close to 100% of the proceeds to the poor...please share.
I hope this thread gets responses! Ideas welcome!

aribell

formerly nicola.kirwan
Acts 10:4
Cornelius stared at him in fear. “What is it, Lord?” he asked. The angel answered, “Your prayers and gifts to the poor have come up as a memorial offering before God."

This is one of those verses for me that I'm sure I've read many times and yet just now have really seen. It's just one of many that challenge us to see what really gets the Lord's attention.

So, I have a proposal for anyone who may be interested. Here in my neck of the woods there is an organization called the New Life Evangelistic Center, run by Larry Rice (he has television and radio stations across the country). NLEC is a homeless shelter that also provides job training, AA meetings, Bible studies and other things to homeless men and women. They also take blankets, food, gloves, etc. to the homeless on the streets on teams called the "Winter Patrol."

Currently, NLEC is asking volunteers to find sponsors for their volunteer hours. Like when people do walk-a-thons and have others pledge however much they want per mile.
Currently, they need donations to purchase more blankets and other supplies to take out on Winter Patrol.

Here is the link to NLEC's site. http://www.newlifeevangelisticcenter.org/

If anyone is interested in supporting them, and want the donation to go toward Winter Patrol activities, I would be happy to volunteer hours according to however much is donated through their site. Anyway, send me a PM if there's interest.

sidney

Sidney, there is a reputable organization I'd like to share called Love a Child Foundation. I know there are lots of programs that are helping Haiti but waited to recommend this one.

Here's a good link too, for anyone who'd like to check these organizations out.. Charity Navigator Rating

Of course, asking God for guidance on where we should put our money is beneficial.

Great thread!

Laela, thank you for sharing this organization! I love that they have a section for children with special needs too! I'm going to add it to the first page, so that people will have a link to organizations to choose from! Thank you...I know that you have a heart for Haiti.

sidney

This is one of those verses for me that I'm sure I've read many times and yet just now have really seen. It's just one of many that challenge us to see what really gets the Lord's attention.

So, I have a proposal for anyone who may be interested
. Here in my neck of the woods there is an organization called the New Life Evangelistic Center, run by Larry Rice (he has television and radio stations across the country). NLEC is a homeless shelter that also provides job training, AA meetings, Bible studies and other things to homeless men and women. They also take blankets, food, gloves, etc. to the homeless on the streets on teams called the "Winter Patrol."

Currently, NLEC is asking volunteers to find sponsors for their volunteer hours. Like when people do walk-a-thons and have others pledge however much they want per mile.
Currently, they need donations to purchase more blankets and other supplies to take out on Winter Patrol.

Here is the link to NLEC's site. http://www.newlifeevangelisticcenter.org/

If anyone is interested in supporting them, and want the donation to go toward Winter Patrol activities, I would be happy to volunteer hours according to however much is donated through their site. Anyway, send me a PM if there's interest.

I've live in a city with a huge homeless population and I always felt a need to help the inner city homeless. This is a great idea Nicola! When you decide to do a walk please post so that we can help you when the occasion arises! Thanks!

sidney

Do not think your gift is too little, listen God says this...
Matthew 10:42

I tell you with certainty, whoever gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is a disciple will never lose his reward." Even a measly cup of water...

No gift you give is too small to make a huge difference in the lives of these children...or too small for God to take notice. If your lunch is only $5, it can go a long way to help a starving child. God is a father to the fatherless (Psalm 68), therefore we as his family, and called to help his abandoned people and children. Have we not seen God? His word says we have seen him and gave to him when we help the least of these Matthew 25:40. If it were God on the street, we would give to him, would we not? God notices and he see's. Let's be obedient to the call.

What is pure religion before God? Pure religion is being concerned about what's on the heart of God. Notice who is saying this. It's James...the brother of Jesus. Who could know what is important to God's heart than his own brother who was raised up with him and then followed him as his disciple.

James 1:27
Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

@MSee, I thought about you when I read this last night...as you are "robed in righteousness"...you know what Job considered his robe of righteousness? Yes, it was helping the widows and children.

Job 29:
11 Whoever heard me spoke well of me,
and those who saw me commended me,
12 because I rescued the poor who cried for help,
and the fatherless who had none to assist them.
13 The one who was dying blessed me;
I made the widow’s heart sing.
14 I put on righteousness as my clothing;
justice was my robe and my turban.
15 I was eyes to the blind
and feet to the lame.
16 I was a father to the needy;
I took up the case of the stranger.

----
Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares. Hebrews 13:2. Religion without charity is like that of but Diotrephes, who loves to be first, but did not welcome anyone or show hospitality, 3 John 1. Love your neighbors here and abroad. Let's consider others more important than ourselves (Philippians 2:3).

I'm going to support this organization for now...http://www.foodforthepoor.org/about/sitemap/

Last edited:

sidney

Micah 6:8

8 He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God.

Lent starts tomorrow. Some may be asking, what should I do to honor God during Lent. For those of you who celebrate I hope that you will join in fasting, praying, and giving to the poor.

God delights in mercy!

Hosea 6:6 For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings.

Matthew 5:7 "Blessed are the merciful, for they shall be shown mercy."

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Love this... thanks for the reminder!
DH and I were talking about messenger. Oftentimes we're looking for wings and a halo, when God's message also comes in human form -- someone we least expect or a perfect stranger -- a ministering angel, if you will. Loving this thread!

Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares. Hebrews 13:2. Religion without charity is like that of but Diotrephes, who loves to be first, but did not welcome anyone or show hospitality, 3 John 1. Love your neighbors here and abroad. Let's consider others more important than ourselves (Philippians 2:3).

I'm going to support this organization for now...http://www.foodforthepoor.org/about/sitemap/

sidney

Love this... thanks for the reminder!
DH and I were talking about messenger. Oftentimes we're looking for wings and a halo, when God's message also comes in human form -- someone we least expect or a perfect stranger -- a ministering angel, if you will. Loving this thread!

Laela,so true! When we welcome people into our homes we show that they are valuable by sharing what we have with them--the good stuff too! This is ministry! I remember once, I went to this prayer banquet...and this envangelist gave me the bouquet off the table for no reason at all...and then gave me a a word of prophecy...and some words of encouragement for no reason at all. That's how I want to be! I remember trying to do this intentionally at one point but I forgot about it along the way. When we esteem others needs above our own this is how we truly demonstrate God's love. This is how the world will recognize us...it will be unmistakable...and this is how we will win them! Praying for more of his glory...

Rainbow Dash

Thanking God for this thread. I was discussing this with my husband. Paying attention to the Word of God is key to finding out what pleases Him and wisdom. I plan to check out these organizations listed so that we can be a blessing to those without.

sidney

Rich Generousity Shown in the Face of Extreme Poverty

2 Corinthians 8

1 And now, brothers and sisters, we want you to know about the grace that God has given the Macedonian churches. 2 In the midst of a very severe trial, their overflowing joy and their extreme poverty welled up in rich generosity. 3 For I testify that they gave as much as they were able, and even beyond their ability. Entirely on their own, 4 they urgently pleaded with us for the privilege of sharing in this service to the Lord’s people. 5 And they exceeded our expectations: They gave themselves first of all to the Lord, and then by the will of God also to us. 6 So we urged Titus, just as he had earlier made a beginning, to bring also to completion this act of grace on your part. 7 But since you excel in everything—in faith, in speech, in knowledge, in complete earnestness and in the love we have kindled in you[a]—see that you also excel in this grace of giving.

8 I am not commanding you, but I want to test the sincerity of your love by comparing it with the earnestness of others. 9 For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sake he became poor, so that you through his poverty might become rich.

10 And here is my judgment about what is best for you in this matter. Last year you were the first not only to give but also to have the desire to do so. 11 Now finish the work, so that your eager willingness to do it may be matched by your completion of it, according to your means. 12 For if the willingness is there, the gift is acceptable according to what one has, not according to what one does not have.

13 Our desire is not that others might be relieved while you are hard pressed, but that there might be equality. 14 At the present time your plenty will supply what they need, so that in turn their plenty will supply what you need. The goal is equality, 15 as it is written: “The one who gathered much did not have too much, and the one who gathered little did not have too little.”

I was reflecting on how eager the Corinthian church was to give...even when they had nothing to offer. They still gave graciously and eagerly. Not to get anything in return, or so their blessing could be tripled or multiplied... but to supply the need of those who had even less. In doing so, they became like Christ. The scripture tells us that he became poor so that we could become rich. Lets join him in giving out of what we have. Not so that he will magnify it for ourselves...but so that there is equality. Don't worry about yourself...God shall supply your needs according to his riches in glory!

sidney

I don't see many eager people...where y'all hiding?? It's offering time! Amen! I'm going to start tagging people soon.

We love, because he first loved us.
We give, because he gave to us.

Y'all remember this,do they still use these at your church, lol! No change please!

Last edited:

Rainbow Dash

I don't see many eager people...where y'all hiding?? It's offering time! Amen! I'm going to start tagging people soon.

We love, because he first loved us.
We give, because he gave to us.

Y'all remember this,do they still use these at your church, lol! No change please!

Oh no, not the collection plate :lachen::lachen:. You see how us church folk do :lol:. Please tell me you do not go to a church where they reject change. I can't take it. :lol:

sidney

Oh no, not the collection plate :lachen::lachen:. You see how us church folk do :lol:. Please tell me you do not go to a church where they reject change. I can't take it. :lol:

No...it's was just a joke, lol :lachen:. Two mites welcome! And you have to say, "It's offering time in the house of the Lord."

sidney

It's super safe to give your two mites now...we've gotten fancy with the envelopes. We don't use the plate...we've upgraded to this tote bag thing lol...I can't find a picture of it anywhere though *shrug*.

Last edited:

MSee

Thanks Sidney. I'm soaking it all in.

I've been busy and just swung by before logging off. You've blessed me indeed.

sidney

God Will Provide Seed to the Sower: 'Prosperity' Gospel

“And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times you may abound in every good work. As it is written, ‘He has distributed freely, he has given to the poor; his righteousness endures forever.He who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and MULTIPLY your seed for sowing and increase the harvest of your righteousness. You will be enriched in every way to be generous in every way, which through us will produce thanksgiving to God.” II Corinthians 9:8-12

Proverbs 11:25
A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed.

sidney

You can change lives with just one CLICK. Sites Listed to help the poor and hungry below!

$1 Food For Children
[http://www.maketimeforchange.com/

Sponsor Poor Children
http://clicktogive.com/Sponsor-Children.aspx

End Homelessnesshttp://clicktogive.com/End-Homelessness.aspx

Help Us Feed the Poor
http://clicktogive.com/Feed-the-Poor.aspx

Food For Hungry Children
http://donate1click.com/index.html

Feed Hungry Child
http://www.worldlegacy.org/

Food for Hungry In India
http://www.bhookh.com/thankyou.php

Hungry Childrenhttp://www.hungrychildren.com/

Feed Kids in Argentinahttp://www.porloschicos.com/

The Hunger Site
http://www.thehungersite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=1

Feed Kids in Africa
http://www.chintai.net/contribution/

Children In Need
http://www.care2.com/click-to-donate/children/

Donate Rice Game
http://freerice.com/#/english-vocabulary/3044

Free Flour Game
http://freeflour.com/

Donate Water
http://www.clickforyourcharity.org/

sidney

Real 'Prosperity' Gospel Derives From Giving To Those Who Lack

Deuteronomy 24:19

When you are harvesting in your field and you overlook a sheaf, do not go back to get it. Leave it for the alien, the fatherless and the widow, so that the LORD your God may bless you in all the work of your hands.

Deuteronomy 15:15
Give generously to him and do so without a grudging heart; then because of this the LORD your God will bless you in all your work and in everything you put your hand to.

Proverbs 19:17
He who is kind to the poor lends to the LORD, and he will reward him for what he has done.

We should give with the right motives, to partake in the giving of our father. He blesses us, we should likewise give to others, and thus demonstrate his love and good works! I mean really...God has really set this thing up where we are bound to be blessed by doing what is right. Let's show God where our really treasure is (Matthew 6:21). We will get much more fulfillment in return...really. It is more blessed to give than to receive.

Last edited:

sidney

Do we really share God's heart for the poor?

Psalm 113:5-8
5 Who is like the LORD our God,
the One who sits enthroned on high,
6 who stoops down to look
on the heavens and the earth?

7 He raises the poor from the dust
and lifts the needy from the ash heap;
8 he seats them with princes,
with the princes of his people.

To God, the poor are royalty. Do we treat them as such?

James 2:5
5 Listen, my dear brothers and sisters: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him?

Concern for the poor is not a suggestion, it's a commandment!

Deuteronomy 15:7
If there is a poor man among you, one of your brothers, in any of the towns of the land which the LORD your God is giving you, you shall not harden your heart, nor close your hand to your poor brother; but you shall freely open your hand to him, and generously lend him sufficient for his need in whatever he lacks.

Deuteronomy 26:12
When you have finished paying the complete tithe of your increase in the third year, the year of tithing, then you shall give it to the Levite, to the stranger, to the orphan and the widow, that they may eat in your towns, and be satisfied.

Leviticus: 19:19

Now when you reap the harvest of your land, you shall not reap to the very corners of your field, neither shall you gather the gleanings of your harvest. Nor shall you glean your vineyard, nor shall you gather the fallen fruit of your vineyard; you shall leave them for the needy and for the stranger. I am the LORD your God.

Deuteronomy 24:19

When you are harvesting in your field and you overlook a sheaf, do not go back to get it. Leave it for the alien, the fatherless and the widow, so that the LORD your God may bless you in all the work of your hands.

God rewards those who bless the poor, he will bless the work of your hands.

loolalooh

Prayer from online:

We pray for the children, women, and men across the world who struggle each day to survive, pitted against economic conditions beyond their control. Give them strength to meet each day and hope for a different future.

Jesus said, “blessed are the peacemakers.” We pray for the people and groups of people campaigning for change to harmful economic policies. May the call for just trade, an end to debt, and more and better aid echo across the world.

Jesus said, “blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness.” We pray for the leaders and politicians with the power to change things. We pray especially for the decisionmakers at the United Nations as they struggle with the question of poverty. Help them to take the side of the poor, to resist the voices of self-interest and complacency, and to make bold choices for the good of all people.

We ask all these things in the name of Jesus Christ, our Lord and friend of the poor.

Amen.