Next Generation BKT's with no formaldehyde

Kurlee

Supposedly the new active ingredient is "Sodium sulfites". Kinda stinky and smelly like old school curly perms (think eggish) and they don't affect the hair pH much. They last >30 shampoos and keep your curl pattern.

Aveda Smooth Infusion Texture Smoother - in salons
http://www.rejuvenatespasalon.com/20...ture-smoother/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lutaO41O7N4

Bumble and Bumble Con-censtraight -
in the salon + at home version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUcfpvSHjOk

Ojon Super Sleek -
At home with loose wavy hair and tight curly hair versions http://www.studiocase.com/?post_type=project&p=1405

Silk Elements Kera-Minerals - Sally's Beauty Supply http://www.sallybeauty.com/kera-mine...efault,pd.html

Brazilian Tech Keratin Smoothing System - Available at Sally's

Ya'll heard of this stuff before??

Guitarhero

Some of them. They have several others as well. They have aldehydes in them that change into some form of formaldehyde when heated but in very small amounts. I've used the BKT and loved it at first...until the heat damage was evident. I wish you could get the same effect without having to use all that high heat.

Those with the bisulfites in them are containing perm solution like the New Era Perm or the John Frieda 3-day Straight. Ingredients in the Bumble and Bumble:

Concen-straight Ingredients

Water, Sodium Metabisulfite, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Dimethicone, Hexylene Glycol, Sodium Sulfite, Sodium Sulfate, Fragrance (Parfum), PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Pearl Powder, Sapphire Powder, Malachite, Tourmaline, Transglutaminase, Polylysine, Methyl Trimethicone, Dimethicone/PEG-10/15 Crosspolymer, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Caprylyl Glycol, Maltodextrin, Tetrasodium Iminodisuccinate, Dimethiconol, Dipropylene Glycol, Coumarin, Geraniol, Eugenol, Xanthan Gum, Potassium Sorbate, Phenoxyethanol, BHT, Linalool, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Benzyl Salicylate, Citronellol, Benzyl Alcohol.

The bolded highlighted is a chemical used in perm solution.

Last edited:

winona

I think it could be permanent if you used all the heat. When I bkted I did it myself and didn't get the damage that I hear a lot of people talking about but I only did it with a max of 350 for 5 passes. I wasn't looking for the super straight effect just something to make detangling easier. My BKT has sense worn off and my hair shrinks to a little below my ears. I am APL:)

KPH

House Head
I used the Ojon last week and my hair turned out WONDERFUL! It looked like I had gone to a salon. The smell during the process was like black pepper.

biancaelyse

Kurlee I bought one of these next gen BKTs to use on my kids - QOD Max OrganiQ (formaldehyde free)

I applied it the 1st time in August, 2 passes @ 350 and it did not permanently straighten their hair. The smell was not too bad at all, kind of fruity.

I did a thread on it and several others have tried it as well:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=564641

It lasted for about 4 months and I reapplied it in January.

I ordered mine from www.keratin4u.com

BlackHairDiva

Thank you so much!!!! This is music to my ears and I cant wait to leanr more about
Supposedly the new active ingredient is "Sodium sulfites". Kinda stinky and smelly like old school curly perms (think eggish) and they don't affect the hair pH much. They last >30 shampoos and keep your curl pattern.

Aveda Smooth Infusion Texture Smoother - in salons
http://www.rejuvenatespasalon.com/20...ture-smoother/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lutaO41O7N4

Bumble and Bumble Con-censtraight -
in the salon + at home version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUcfpvSHjOk

Ojon Super Sleek -
At home with loose wavy hair and tight curly hair versions http://www.studiocase.com/?post_type=project&p=1405

Silk Elements Kera-Minerals - Sally's Beauty Supply http://www.sallybeauty.com/kera-mine...efault,pd.html

Brazilian Tech Keratin Smoothing System - Available at Sally's

Ya'll heard of this stuff before??

Kurlee

yea i knew this was something a lot of people were interested in, but I don't have much info, so hopefully, we can build a thread and learn more about it together, as people have experiences with it. I checked out QOD Max Organiq and their website said this:

Notes on Formaldehyde

In the U.S. market there is a great deal of confusion – and far too much false advertising - regarding Brazilian Keratin products and formaldehyde. Any professional stylist considering offering a Brazilian Keratin treatment will take the time and effort to get to the truth about these formulas, their potency and their effectiveness.

The Myth of “Formaldehyde Free”

There are a number of keratin formulas on the market claiming to be “formaldehyde free.” Technically, this may be correct. Many of these “formaldehyde free” products, however, are likely to contain other “aldehydes,” urea, or similar mixes which share the potent characteristics of formaldehyde. Often these compounds convert into a form of raw, unrefined formaldehyde when heated.

Even though QOD Brazilian Keratin formulas do not contain industrially manufactured raw formaldehyde, we choose not to advertise them as “formaldehyde free.” We find this to be a disingenuous marketing gimmick. More importantly, it is potentially harmful. If stylists are comforted with a false sense of confidence, believing that a product is “formaldehyde free,” they may not follow the same stringent safety protocols they would with other powerful salon products. That would be a mistake.

The bottom line is this:
Any formulation that produces a significant volume-reduction in the hair lasting several weeks is a potent salon product. It should always be treated with healthy respect, and handled in compliance with salon safety protocols by licensed hair professionals only.

There are no exceptions to this, and there are no short cuts to achieving the remarkable, long-lasting effects of a Brazilian Keratin treatment. If a product is truly without formaldehyde or any derivatives, its effects will most likely last only until the next washing. A beautiful flat-iron and blow-out with some nice keratin-based conditioner might last for several days and make a client happy - but this service is not a Brazilian Keratin treatment.

What is Different About QOD Brazilian Keratin?

At QOD COSMETIC, our approach is different. We have always focused on the technology rather than marketing hype, steadily reducing the levels of potent chemicals in our formulas while maintaining – and improving – their long-lasting conditioning and volume reduction effects.

We also respect our clientele, communicating with them frankly and directly about what is involved.

In the U.S. field of relative new-comers to the market, QOD COSMETIC USA stands apart. We have led the world in Brazilian Keratin products for over a decade, and are unique in our expertise. We have developed a cutting edge, patented technique that uses a proprietary compound of actively charged elements to work with the keratin for maximum penetration and effect. With QOD’s process, the ratio of potentially harmful chemicals in our keratin formulas goes way down. This is particularly true in the formulation of QOD GOLD. Click here to learn more...

Several products that have been very successful in the U.S market still rely on a low grade mix of raw, potent ingredients – sometimes coupled with a misleading marketing campaign. These formulas may be effective at volume reduction, but the treatment experience will be far less pleasant – and the results less optimal - than with a QOD formula that has been systematically refined through years of research and testing.

So it's like they're saying they don't use formaldehyde in their products and explain how other companies mislead, but at the same time, explain that lasting results are not possible unless there is some type of "potent" chemical in it? So, it's like :huh: what is your "potent" chemical, cuz proteins aren't doing all the work? I wish these companies were a little more straight forward, so consumers knew exactly what they are buying into.

Last edited:

Dove56

I have researched them (I posted all of that on NC.com - the info and links from your initial post). I also tested the Kera-Minerals on my hair and so fair I like it.

I still love QOD Max Organiq but I haven't BKT'd in almost 5 months (thanks to Sabino lol). As I mentioned on NC.com, I am dying to try this on all of my hair but I still want to read more reviews.

I think Sally's Kera-Minerals is awesome so far (It's been almost a couple of weeks) because you definitely keep your curls + get the benefit of humidity blockage and you only do one pass of the flatiron which is excellent for ethnic hair. As I stated on NC, this one is marketed to ethnic women.

When I did the Kera-Minerals I followed the direction to the "T". The smell is strong but the results are fab.

I forgot to list Keratin Earth. That brand was recommended and approved by Allure Magazine. It has Sulfite in it as well.

Dove56

I used the Ojon last week and my hair turned out WONDERFUL! It looked like I had gone to a salon. The smell during the process was like black pepper.

KPH,

Thanks for the review. :) Can you provide some details about your hair? Natural or relaxed? Hair type? Colored treated or not? Thanks! I'm interested in trying that one too because they have two formula's and one is marketed to black women.

Dove56

The ones done at the Ulta Salons Don't have them or the derivatives

Nope. Not yet. Ulta has cystine based treatments, Kera-straight is one. J C Penney is doing the cystine treatments too - the CHI Envirosmoothing. These are similar to QOD MAX Organiq.

Kurlee

Nope. Not yet. Ulta has cystine based treatments, Kera-straight is one. J C Penney is doing the cystine treatments too - the CHI Envirosmoothing. These are similar to QOD MAX Organiq.
I'm trying to understand how carbocysteine does the work? or what reactions takes place with heat to produce the results?

Kurlee

Considering all the new straightening products that were launched last year, this is a great question. If you haven’t already seen it, take a look at our post on Keratin straighteners for more background on the various hair straightening technologies on the market.

What does B&B say about Concen-Straight?
According to B&B, this single use straightener is used with heat tools to “smooth hair for manageability and frizz reduction for up to 30 shampoos.” They also claims that it is “Formaldehyde free. Cysteine free. Lye free.” This means it uses chemistry that is different than Brazilian straighteners, Garnier’s Blow Dry Perfector Kit, or hydroxide relaxers. However, it is based on a technology that functions similarly. Let’s take a look at the ingredients and see:

Concen-straight Ingredients

Water, Sodium Metabisulfite, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Dimethicone, Hexylene Glycol, Sodium Sulfite, Sodium Sulfate, Fragrance (Parfum), PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Pearl Powder, Sapphire Powder, Malachite, Tourmaline, Transglutaminase, Polylysine, Methyl Trimethicone, Dimethicone/PEG-10/15 Crosspolymer, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Caprylyl Glycol, Maltodextrin, Tetrasodium Iminodisuccinate, Dimethiconol, Dipropylene Glycol, Coumarin, Geraniol, Eugenol, Xanthan Gum, Potassium Sorbate, Phenoxyethanol, BHT, Linalool, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Benzyl Salicylate, Citronellol, Benzyl Alcohol.

You’ll notice that the first ingredient (after water) is sodium metabisulfite. This means this product is based on similar technology used in bisulfite perms from the 1970s.

How do bisulfite perms work?
Perms are designed to add curl to hair so the product is applied to hair that is wrapped around curling rods. These perms contain sodium bisulfite which reduces, or breaks, the sulfur-sulfur bonds in hair. These sulfur bonds are like little bridges that lock protein strands together and make hair keeps its shape. When these bridges are broken, the hair relaxes hair and disrupts its natural shape. In the second step a neutralizer solution is applied to oxidize the bonds. This oxidation reaction re-forms the sulfur-sulfur bridges and locks the curls in place. After removing the rods the curls will retain their shape until the hair grows out.

Concen-straight (ya gotta love that clever name!) is essentially half of this perming process. But this time the product is applied as hair is straightened: the metabisulfite breaks the bonds so hair is relaxed, but nothing is added to neutralize and reform the sulfur bridges. The result is straighter hair, but the effect is not truly permanent because over time (about 30 shampoos worth per the product instructions) the bonds will auto-oxidize and the hair will more or less return to its original shape.

The Beauty Brains bottom line
Even though the ingredients look different, Concen-straight is similar to Cysteine-containing products which rearrange hair bonds to provide long lasting (but not permanent) straightness. These products do cause some damage to hair but not as much as a lye-based relaxer.

Dove56

I'm trying to understand how carbocysteine does the work? or what reactions takes place with heat to produce the results?

Hi Kurlee,

Keratin is comprised, in part, by cystine (about 5%). Cystine help forms the bonds in the hair. High heat causes the cystine to interact with the hairs bonds and temporarily rearrange them into a smoother texture. The Cystine treatments don't impart a "film" or "coating/laminate" over the hair like traditional keratin treatments do. They also do not break the bonds like a relaxer. The cystine is a much smaller molecule that's better able to penetrate the hair. Over time the cystine is gradually released from the strand and the hair returns to it's normal texture.

I love the cystine based treatments because they don't result in bone straight hair like the formeldahyde treatments. Plus, there are no fumes or masks needed. The Organix brand got my hair bone straight and QOD Max Regular (Not Organiq) with only 0.02 formeldahyde got my hair bone straight. :nono: That was fun at first, but I really miss my hair's texture so cystine treatments are excellent for that reason alone, IMO.:yep:

Last edited:

hothair

in my opinion, with any of the BKT treatments curl reversion etc depends on the amount of heat used. I do mine myself with "the brand that would not be named" I have had the most retention consistently since I came on here and I'm now bsl hoping for wl this year.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I don't get why this is so appealing rather than relaxing. Can someone please tell me why they prefer BKTS over a relaxer? :ohwell:

KPH

House Head
KPH,

Thanks for the review. :) Can you provide some details about your hair? Natural or relaxed? Hair type? Colored treated or not? Thanks! I'm interested in trying that one too because they have two formula's and one is marketed to black women.

I'm relaxed and in a "transition" that may not happen. I believe I'm a 3C/4A and I had a set back with color and had to get all the color cut out and I was close to BSL so the color had me back up to SL and now I'm about 1/2 in from APL so to keep from using another relaxer and me not knowing how to work with 2 textures I decided to try this when I saw it on QVC. Oh, I used No. 2 and my hair is thin. Now, my hair looks thicker and it feels better than it's ever felt like some kind of strong conditioner that is doing a wonderful job. I can't explain it but all I know is I keep walking by the mirror looking at my hair because this stuff gave it a much healthier look. It didn't get good reviews on QVC's webside when I checked and was about to send it back but something told me to use it. I had started to hate my hair and now I really like it again because the natural texture just lossened and not straightened only until I used the flat iron.

Also, for some reason without it during my "transition" my hair would curl back up no matter how much block stuff I used....this stuff is not letting it curl up until I wash it.

Dove56

DDTexlaxed said:
I don't get why this is so appealing rather than relaxing. Can someone please tell me why they prefer BKTS over a relaxer? :ohwell:

DDtexlaxed,

BTK's work on the cuticle or outside layer of your hair whereas relaxers work on the inside of the strand or the cortex. Relaxers are permanent and they break the bonds of the hair.

The main benefit of BKTs, for me, is the ability to where my hair striaght without reversion. BKTs also cut down on styling time.

I had my hair bleached all over and I only use keratin. My hair is still so shiny and healthy and relatively long (bsl) I could not have bleached allover with a relaxer without severe breakage...ask me how I know lol. So the BKTs are healthier for your hair if they are done correctly.

BlackHairDiva

In my case, I live in an area where most salon dont practice healthy hair care. So i was going to Boston to get my hair relaxed which became quite costly. So I wanted to be independent and not rely on someone. That is something that I was very tired of. So attempted to self-relax..which I really suck at. For me BKTs are much easier to use and I have become a pro at applying it perfectly. Something I always rustled with hair relaxer. I also love that with BKT I use very little heat on my, I have excellent growth retention and moisture retention. My hair has really peeked and my hair is the longest its ever been. To me the only down side of the BKT is the smell when applying . That is why I'm excited about this new generation of BKTs they don't smell and yet I might get the same results. Plus, it does cut down the time it takes to do my hair. I also like the way my hair looks. I can also revert back to natural at any time.

I'm relaxed and in a "transition" that may not happen. I believe I'm a 3C/4A and I had a set back with color and had to get all the color cut out and I was close to BSL so the color had me back up to SL and now I'm about 1/2 in from APL so to keep from using another relaxer and me not knowing how to work with 2 textures I decided to try this when I saw it on QVC. Oh, I used No. 2 and my hair is thin. Now, my hair looks thicker and it feels better than it's ever felt like some kind of strong conditioner that is doing a wonderful job. I can't explain it but all I know is I keep walking by the mirror looking at my hair because this stuff gave it a much healthier look. It didn't get good reviews on QVC's webside when I checked and was about to send it back but something told me to use it. I had started to hate my hair and now I really like it again because the natural texture just lossened and not straightened only until I used the flat iron.

Also, for some reason without it during my "transition" my hair would curl back up no matter how much block stuff I used....this stuff is not letting it curl up until I wash it.

Last edited:

Guitarhero

I'm thinking of getting the Silk Elements since it's on sale at Sally's. I need frizz-free reversion relief with this exercise routine. For some reason, with the henna, my hair is frizzing up more. Maybe it's all the moisture in the air lately. Should I or shouldn't I? What do you think of the ION product line of bkt?