So I found out some of my follicles on my temple area are dead

Anonymous1

sliding under the radar
And I decided to get hair transplanted from the back of my head to my edges. I did everything possible to get my edges to grow. They grew in some but not completely. I found out that the reason they didn't fill in completely was because some were indeed dead.

naturalTAN

And I decided to get hair transplanted from the back of my head to my edges. I did everything possible to get my edges to grow. They grew in some but not completely. I found out that the reason they didn't fill in completely was because some were indeed dead.

Anonymous1

I know that I will do this someday soon because I am so tired of hiding my edges and I want to do cute styles that don't require side-swept hair.

Would you mind elaborating on the process? I am clueless about it, but I know I want to have the procedure done.

Janet'

Wow!!! Really? Dead? How did they come to that conclusion? How are you feeling about the transplant? Is it a painful process?

MrsMe

My sis did that and her edges look brand new, as if nothing had happened. The cost is high but if you get a good surgical team, the results are worth it!!
I'm trying a few more solutions before giving in to hair transplant since I don't have the cash at hand right now and I have a few priorities before that.
I'm so tired of hiding my edges as well. :nono:
OP, about how much did it cost if you don't mind me asking? My sis paid about $8,000 but her financial situation allows her to do it. :shocked:

Sent from my PG86100

abcd09

My sis did that and her edges look brand new, as if nothing had happened. The cost is high but if you get a good surgical team, the results are worth it!!
I'm trying a few more solutions before giving in to hair transplant since I don't have the cash at hand right now and I have a few priorities before that.
I'm so tired of hiding my edges as well. :nono:
OP, about how much did it cost if you don't mind me asking? My sis paid about $8,000 but her financial situation allows her to do it. :shocked:

Sent from my PG86100
what happens to the hair at the donor site? do they grow back?

*CherryPie*

I was told that years ago. My hair was relaxed and long, but my edges were very thin. I had a biopsy done, and they told me that my follicles were dead and that my hair would never grow in those areas again.

Now 20 years later, I decide to go natural.....and my edges are BACK.:perplexed

naturalTAN

I was told that years ago. My hair was relaxed and long, but my edges were very thin. I had a biopsy done, and they told me that my follicles were dead and that my hair would never grow in those areas again.

Now 20 years later, I decide to go natural.....and my edges are BACK.:perplexed

I thought going natural would help me as well. I've been relaxer-free for over 3 years and I have tried almost everything suggested on this site to grow them in with no progress.

naturalnikki

I haven't had any since I was 7/8 as well and I'm almost 22. I will research this more when I am done with undergrad.

My mom is the same and she's never made any progress. I'm doing more research now than I ever have. Before I do something so drastic I want to be positive that's my only option. I've been natural for over a year now and I see no change with my sides. My grandma has no edges before I started doing my research I thought maybe this stemmed from her but now I think she's just done so much damage with heat and bleaching.

Beverly Ann Properties

Have you tried to tweak your diet and up your protein uptake through protein shakes? Try this for some time while you save your money for the transplant and see if there is any improvement.

LiftedUp

My edges were thin from a child. My mother tried endlessly to make them grow when I was in primary school by putting two canerows in the front regularly. I've accpeted that I would never have a full hairline, it's just not in my genes. I do however gush at thick hairlines so I totally support your decision. Hope you get the results you desire!

yodie

OP, have you tried any of the follicle stimulating products like Nioxin scalp renew? Just wondering if that might help.
I've had thin nape since childhood. I was never able to wear my hair in a ponytail like most women. It grows, but the hair seems to fall out of the follicle.

ChasingBliss

LOL please come back and tell us more. I was so open when I read this. I have a little issue with my left side...due to all those side ponytails I did when I was very young.

Keen

I've always wondered if the newly transplanted follicles will also die eventually. I'm wondering if it is something wrong with that area that is killing the follicles. But I'd do the transplant also if I was in that situation.

MrsMe

what happens to the hair at the donor site? do they grow back?

It grew back so nicely. They did an excellent job which certainly helps. They filled in and she doesn't have to hide her edges anymore.

ETA: she is using products like Rogaine and watching her diet to prevent the same problem.

Sent from my PG86100

Anonymous1

sliding under the radar
Hey ladies. I will try to answer all of your questions. I have to leave home after this but I promise I will be back to answer any questions.

The cost was $3900.00 and my doctor and his nurses were great.
I had a biopsy done and my follicles came back dead. I'm transitioning now but I haven't relaxed my edged in almost two years. Some spots grew in around the outside (like Naomi's) but the middle part was still bald. Not thin but bald. I'm embarrased but I may build up enough courage to post the before picture.
I had the procedure done yesterday. It lasted from 9:00 to 3. I had 800 follicles moved from the back of my head to the front temples. The only pain I had was when he had to numb my scalp. I had about twenty to thirty needle sticks. I hate needles but I had a Valium before they started. I slept through the first half of the procedure.

The part they took from the back up my scalp is stitched up. It's almost like getting a scalp lift. It was a bout an 1/2 wide and from ear to ear. I'm just a little sore where the stitches are but I am very happy. I haven't been able to pull my hair back in a ponytail since childhood. I have to wash the back of my head tonight and next week I will be able to let the pressure of water hit the front. If i wash the front now, I have to just pour the water over it and pat it. I will be able to do anything to it within a month. I can comb it now but i don't want to mess with it. I will be wearing a scarf today.

They said I would get swelling in my forehead but I have none. I made sure to sleep on my back and not bend over so i wouldn't get the swelling in my face.

I'll be back later ladies and answer the rest of your questions. I think it's worth every penny because I was so tired of the side swept hair. I wanted to try all of the styles i see but I couldn't because of my Naomi like edges.

Oh and my doctor said the likely hood of it working is 96%. He said if i'm in that 4% her would do it free. It takes a year to fully see the results but hair starts growing noticeable within 2 months. I will try to speed up my process by massaging with my little scalp massager. I won't put any concoctions on my edges for a while. Just moisturize and massage.

Last edited:

abcd09

Anonymous1 wow 3900 isnt that bad. So they're basically closing in the spot of the donor area by pulling and stitching them together? hair will not regrow there because the skin is gone? Was it just your edges or your sides as well?

grownwomanaz

Love and Harmony
Have any of you ladies tried the sulfur oil on the affected areas? It doesn't work over night, (it's taken months for me)but that stuff is gradually filling in my crown. I never had the test to see if I had dead follicles in that area, but if your follicles can be revived I think that sulfur oil will do it. I'm natural now, but even after a 2 years of not relaxing my crown was still very thin until I started using sulfur oil over the summer.

ChasingBliss

Have any of you ladies tried the sulfur oil on the affected areas? It doesn't work over night, (it's taken months for me)but that stuff is gradually filling in my crown. I never had the test to see if I had dead follicles in that area, but if your follicles can be revived I think that sulfur oil will do it. I'm natural now, but even after a 2 years of not relaxing my crown was still very thin until I started using sulfur oil over the summer.

I'm actually starting this now. All my ingredients came today. So I will be mixing tonight. I expect to see good ....no spectacular results.

Anonymous1

sliding under the radar
Anonymous1 wow 3900 isnt that bad. So they're basically closing in the spot of the donor area by pulling and stitching them together? hair will not regrow there because the skin is gone? Was it just your edges or your sides as well?

abcd09

That's correct. They closed that area off. My sides. I refer to those as my edges. It's my temple area. I got both sides done.

Anonymous1

sliding under the radar
If this is an option, I wonder why hasn't Naomi considered this? Any before and after pics?

You have to have enough hair in the donor area which is usually the back of the head to get it done. Maybe Naomi is bald all over? Or maybe she doesn't care? I don't know.

I have before pics but I'm embarrassed about posting. Don't have after yet since I just got it done yesterday. Maybe once my hair grows back I can post both.

Anonymous1

sliding under the radar
So what about the donor site? Does the hair grow back? I was considering this procedure as well. Please give more info.
The donor site is at the back of my head and it is stiched up and lifted. It's like getting a scalp lift. That part of my scalp is gone now. That's the soreness I feel. My transplanted hair area doesn't hurt at all. It's still pretty numb.

I've tried everything from injections, to oil mixes. I finally got a biopsy and was told some of my follicles were dead. I researched doctors for a couple a months and decided to get it done.