Full & Healthy Crown & Edges Challenge 2012

faithVA

Many of us experience issues with our crowns and edges. This is both a challenge and a support group to love our crowns and edges back to a healthy, full and luscious state.

Challenge Starts: 01/01/2012
Challenge Ends: 12/31/2012

To Join Share with us (Required)
1. Describe the current state of your crown and/or edges.
2. What is your initial plan to start restoring these areas?
3. What products do you plan on using?
4. These areas need to be loved regularly. How often will you check in with us?
5. Are you willing to commit to yourself and to support your fellow LHCF sisters?

Optional
1. What questions do you have?
2. What tips do you have for your fellow challengers?
3. Starting Picture. I know some are sensitive about showing problem areas. If you don’t feel comfortable sharing a picture, please make sure you at least take 1 for future reference for comparison.

Helpful Links:
Grow Your Crown Challenge
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=433030

Post Your Positive Experience Using the Essential Oil Blend for Growth
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=194211

How Mama Dukes Regrew Hair Edges in 5 Months!
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=576343

Sulphur Oil Mix: What’s yours?
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=573955

Taking a 5000 mcg Biotin & B complex EVERDAY for the next 6 months
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=577003

The Best Growth Aid
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=255785

Currently Using JBCO???
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=580709

sulfur challenge, 2011 edition
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=510494

Essential Oil Blend for Hair Growth
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=973

Ladies who have recovered from long-term scalp damage: help!
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=569133

CHALLENGERS
:rosebud:DearJohn
:rosebud:Shay72 (+)
:rosebud:ms.blue
:rosebud:ladysaraii (+)
:rosebud:Carrie_A (+)
:rosebud:Ronnieaj (+)
:rosebud:Firstborn2 (+)
:rosebud:wheezy807
:rosebud:growinghealthyhair (+)
:rosebud:IDareT'sHair (+)
:rosebud:itismehmmkay (+)
:rosebud:greenandchic (+)
:rosebud:brownsugarbaby
:rosebud:20Something (+)
:rosebud:Curly_Lee (+)
:rosebud:Ravengirl (+)
:rosebud:prettybyrd (+)
:rosebud:reeko43 (+)
:rosebud:ElizaBlue (+)
:rosebud:theNaturalWonders (+)
:rosebud:Anonymous1
:rosebud:gforceroy (+)
:rosebud:sheanu (+)
:rosebud:CleopatrasCousin (+)
:rosebud:gvin89 (+)
:rosebud:fivetimestwo (+)
:rosebud:DayDreamist (+)
:rosebud:LilMissRed
:rosebud:MsDes (+)
:rosebud:discodumpling (+)
:rosebud:ida2 (+)
:rosebud:AKA-Tude
:rosebud:IslandDiva08
:rosebud:Miniaturemom
:rosebud:Ann0804
:rosebud:KumakoXsd
:rosebud:vandidix
:rosebud:Minty
:rosebud:NewHairWOWeave
:rosebud: PrettyinPink001
:rosebud:Lisaaa_Bonet
:rosebud:DaDragonPrincess
:rosebud:NappyNelle

Last edited:

faithVA

Holding My Spot

I'm focusing on my crown. My crown thinned out years ago and I didn't notice until this year when I started wearing twist more often. The hair in my crown hair is rough and wiry. The hair in this area is thinner than the rest. And also this area is can become sore and extra sensitive.

I have been focusing on this area for a while but it still has a way to go.
1. I will wash with Terressentials mud wash every two weeks.
2. I will steam monthly.
3. I will give myself scalp massages with my oil blend every 2 to 3 days.
4. I will be using all natural products on my hair.

3. These areas need to be loved regularly. How often will you check in with us?
I will be checking in weekly. And I will take photos monthly.

4. Are you willing to commit to yourself and to support your fellow LHCF sisters?
I'm absolutely committed to myself and the other challengers in this thread.

I need to find the post on making oil and garlic oils. If anyone can point me to it please do.

3. Starting Picture.
I have some pics in my album but I will take a starting pic in December before the challenge starts.

Last edited:

DearJohn

I am in will post my info this weekend. I have thin edges especially at the temples this is most likely due to the fact that my hair line naturally recedes at the temples. I hate my hair line so I want to make sure that the thinnest can be filled.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
I've learned my edges are quite special and I will be babying them for a long time to come.

My edges--Left is looking okay. Right is slowing filling back in. The issue is I'm always regrowing my edges.

Already working on it. Using viviscal products. As stated above I feel as if I am constantly regrowing my edges. I'm hoping by using the vitamins I will strengthen from within and make my hair stronger. I use alot of protein and I will continue to do so strengthen my strands. I also take a 500mg of silica daily.

I've been using Viviscal for a little over 2 months. For the first month I only took the pills. For the second month I incorporated the shampoo, conditioner, and scalp lotion. I've noticed that my edges filled in a bit quicker than they normally do. Taking 500 mg of silica daily.

I'm bad at checking in but will try to do so monthly

5. Are you willing to commit to yourself and to support your fellow LHCF sisters?
Yes

I feel like I've identified all of the culprits for my edges issue:
Relaxing for 25 years and leaving that stuff in until it burned. I always started on the right because I'm a righty.

I wore braids back, to back, to back....without breaks. Basically I would pay them to take out my braids, wash my hair, and rebraid.

Headbands that pulled on my edges

Last edited:

Krystle~Hime

I think you made all the challenges from hair roots to tips :
-luscious & healthy ends
-and now full & healthy edges
:lol::drunk:

I will be right back, i will try to convince mom to be in this one:nono:, okay ?

faithVA

I think you made all the challenges from hair roots to tips :
-luscious & healthy ends
-and now full & healthy edges
:lol::drunk:

I will be right back, i will try to convince mom to be in this one:nono:, okay ?

You are right. And I will restart the luscious ends challenge for 2012. I thought about combining them then said Naw :lol:

ms.blue

Holding my spot until later. My edges are actually pretty good except for the temple area. My crown is another story, I have a small light spot on my crown that I'm tryin to fill in using Nonie's oil mixture.

ladysaraii

This is exactly where I need to be

My edges have thinned out a bit and I've been trying to fill them in. Also I am experiencing some thinking all over, particularly in my crown

I think the crown at least is due to weight/hormonal, so I am working on eating healthy and losing weight to help bring things back in balance. Also, I have started taking Nioxin and will be using oils. I was considering Megatek or MTG, but I think I'm going to see what a dedicated ayurvedic regimen can do for me

I suck at check-ins, but I will make a commitment to check in when I see the thread updated.

4. Are you willing to commit to yourself and to support your fellow LHCF sisters?

Yes. My biggest issue is continuous commitment. but I'm tired of drooling over thick heads of hair..darnit, I'm ready to have one too

Carrie A

OK I have to join this challenge.

I'm not sure exactly where the crown is but I have noticed I believe a little thinning in the temple areas. I also have subtle thinning in the front midline. The midline has been a little thin for several years. I have also noticed breakage over the areas where I brush.

I believe that brushing the front edges of my hair and pulling the hair tightly in my bun style is a contributing factor. This year I pledge to put down the brush. Ponytail holders have also contributed to breakage so I'm nixing those too. I'm trying not to pull my hair back too tightly. I'm not sure about growth aids yet. I have some Bee mine but the smell. I've been rubbing a little castor oil on my temples. The rest of my hair is doing ok.

I'll check in once a week. Putting away my brush is going to be a challenge.

Absolutely.

I'll take some pics before the year is out to post.

My question is where exactly is the crown? Is it the midlle front or the "middle middle"?

ETA: I looked this up and found the answer

Last edited:

Ronnieaj

1. Describe the current state of your crown and/or edges. My edges are my primary concern. I have a straight across hairline (no widow's peak), and the very center and temples have been thin for years. This is actually the original reason I went natural :yep:. They're growing back SLOOOOOOWWLLLYYY :nono:. My hair would look SO much fuller with them in full gloriousness!!

2. What is your initial plan to start restoring these areas? I'm using an MT/castor oil mix on my edges only. I wear a scarf to cover those areas so they don't rub against the bonnet; I've started wearing the bonnet inside out so the smooth seam is against the edges.

3. What products do you plan on using? The MT mix mentioned above, plus anything else my LHCF sisters know that will really help make a difference!

4. These areas need to be loved regularly. How often will you check in with us? I can check in a minimum of bi-weekly, but I'll try to do it at least weekly.

5. Are you willing to commit to yourself and to support your fellow LHCF sisters? Heck yeah! I don't want MBL hair and no edges :lachen: and I'm sure my sisters don't either!! I want full, thick healthy hair ALL AROUND, and will fully support anyone with their own goals :yep:.

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
This will probably be the last challenge I join for 2012,lol but yeah I need to be in here, I have extremely thin edges, the right side is worse than the left. Ronnieaj, you're right I don't want long hair with balding edges,lol

wheezy807

I would love to join. My problem is moreso my edges (right side). I will come back at a later time and answer the questionnaire.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using HTC Glacier

growinghealthyhair

faithVA

This is a great challenge!! Great, that it starts in january, that means I have a month or two to get used to being consistent with babying my crown/edges!

1. Describe the current state of your crown and/or edges. My Crown has grown SIGNIFICANTLY. I'm really happy of the growth, and happy that i've retained the growth, but it's VERY thin from a previous Brazillian Keratin Treatment . I'm transitioning the hair that was treated with the BKT (the curl pattern is much looser) so that my crown area is as thick as the rest of my hair. My edges are thin and weak, although I must say they have come a long way in this ONE YEAR then they have in the past 5 or so years that i've been trying to get them back on track!! Amazing what TLC can do. And now that I'm more "in the know" thanks to you ladies this upcoming year will be even better!!

2. What is your initial plan to start restoring these areas? I'm focusing on the health inside and out. I plan to take my vitamins because this is when I saw the most improvement when I was very consistent with taking them. I want to make sure my scalp is healthy as well!! I think treating any scalp issues I may have will help as well. , and i'm taking a suggestion of JeterCrazed (lawd I hope i'm mentioning the correct person) and begin taking pumpkin seed oil daily
Ayurvedic Powders along with Clay (not sure which type yet).
I have :
Neem
Burdock Root
Methi
Hibiscus
Amla
Henna
Horsetail
Marshmallow

I'm going to take advantage of one of the Black Friday sales and order some Terrasentials Mud Clay Shampoo. It's gotten really great reviews and I'm really interested in how my hair will react.
I'm really trying to make at least 90% of my products natural. I think that my heat protectant (which I am whittling down my usage of heat) will be one of the few things that aren't 100% natural.

4. These areas need to be loved regularly. How often will you check in with us? I will check in weekly!!
5. Are you willing to commit to yourself and to support your fellow LHCF sisters? Yes ma'am!! I really hope i'm able to contribute, you ladies help so much!

Optional
Does anyone have any great Ayurvedic paste or even rinse recipes for stronger and thicker hair?

Anyone have any tips on creating oils using the ayurvedic powders. I have some olive oil that I would loveeee to use for this purpose. :yep:

2. What tips do you have for your fellow challengers? Consistency is key. This is the most important thing i've learned so far!

3. Starting Picture.

I will update with my comparison picture!

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
1. Describe the current state of your crown and/or edges. My edges have thinned out do to many years of braids and pulling.
2. What is your initial plan to start restoring these areas? I plan to keeping this area moisturize at all times, no tension and take biotin.
3. What products do you plan on using? distilled water and castor oil
4. These areas need to be loved regularly. How often will you check in with us? hopefully once aweek
5. Are you willing to commit to yourself and to support your fellow LHCF sisters? For sure that's why I'm here.

ETA: pix

Last edited:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I'm In:

I'm constantly nursing/babying my Crown. It's always been itchy/dry and is the first area to break and when it breaks, it breaks all the way down to the NG (I'm relaxed).

So, I make sure this area is well moisturized at all times. I focus on that area when applying products and always make sure I put a little "Extra" Something....... I also look for products that block DHT to also help it along.

I am currently using Topical Growth Aids (Oils & Lotions). Also rotating Nioxin and Andrew Lessman Hair/Skin/Nails

No problem with Edges, that area (fortunately) has never been an issue, but I am currently having a issue with my Nape (which I am working on like my Crown) keeping it Moisturized.

faithVA

WHAT CAN YOU DO TO STOP SPILT ENDS

You can minimize splits but not sure most can really stop them. It also depends on why you are getting them.

The main suggestions on the board are
1. Maintain a proper moisture protein balance
2. Keep your ends moisturized and sealed
3. Have a dusting schedule and stick to it
4. Minimize/Eliminate heat
5. Condition, condition, condition

There are more but it really depends on your regimen and what you are currently doing to your hair.

itismehmmkay

I love it :yay:

My crown is actually pretty good. I just got my hair cut to cut out some layers it looks pretty healthy and full. My edges have actually started filling out. I remember this lady told me way back that my edges were probably short because I wasn't retouching my hair often enough. I thought it was blasphemy what she was tallking lol. But now I think that was a big part of it; it was breakage at the demarcation line

Plan to keep up w/ my retouches and use my applicator bottle method for reduced overlapping. Also, recently I've been making sure to apply Let's Jam (throwback) to my edges. And oddly enough it really is pretty conditioning. So I think that's helping. So my main goal w/ my edges is for them to grow longer.

Let's Jam for my edges. For my crown and the rest of my hair, my staples of Suave Humectant poo and con and NTM for my rollersets.

I guess monthly?

Yes :kiss:

Carrie A

I'm back with starting pics. It's not easy to post these but here we go.

These are pics of my thinning temple and breakage in front. You can see the halo of broken hairs.

Attachments

• temples 11:2011.jpg
    temples 11:2011.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 195
  • temples2 11:2011.jpg
    temples2 11:2011.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 186
  • breakage 2011.JPG
    breakage 2011.JPG
    397.8 KB · Views: 172
  • breakage2 2011.jpg
    breakage2 2011.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 165

greenandchic

Short, broken edges, wiry crown with lots of broken, short pieces. My crown is very sensitive and prone to breakage.
Careful detangling practices, using castor oil on my scalp and edges.
Continue with henna to strengthen my hair.
Pay attention to protein/moisture balance.

Henna
Castor oil
Not sure what else yet

Daily

Yes
Optional
None so far
2. What tips do you have for your fellow challengers?
None so far
3. Starting Picture. I know some are sensitive about showing problem areas. If you don’t feel comfortable sharing a picture, please make sure you at least take 1 for future reference for comparison.
My photo of my edges is on my signature. I know it doesn't look too bad, but that's because I slicked my hair back with butter. I will upload a photo of my naked hair later.

Aggie

My hair is very thick in the crown area now but it was not always that way. It would be the very first part of my hair that would break at the demarcation line but I realized that it was because I had no patience when I detangled it. Now I exercise lots of patience whenever I do detangle it and keep it thickly moisturized at all times.

I will be watching you ladies from the sidelines for support as the crown and edges of my hair are actually doing very well. I only have to take better care of my luscious ends and keep them free of splits.

faithVA

The challenger list has been updated. The following ladies have been added

DearJohn

Shay72 (+)

ms.blue

ladysaraii (+)

Carrie_A (+)

Ronnieaj (+)

Firstborn2 (+)

wheezy807

growinghealthyhair (+)

IDareT'sHair (+)

itismehmmkay (+)

greenandchic (+)

brownsugarbaby

faithVA

Although the challenge doesn't start until January, I want to get more consistent with my regimen now. I had planned on decreasing my mud wash usage to 1x a month but I am going to keep it at every other week until my crown is healthier.

And before I DC, I will give myself a scalp massage with my oil blend. I want to cowash mid-week so hopefully I can do this at least 2x a week. Some of the information I have read on the web recommends apply the oil blend nightly and massaging for 2 minutes. I don't want my hair over greasy so I need to play around with this. But I can do a 2 minute massage every night before I put on my bonnet.

And I am in the Castor Oil Challenge, so these two challenges compliment each other.

Carrie A

So just updating

1. The past two weeks I've been analyzing my hair and trying to figure out what quick changes I could make to boost my efforts.

2. I didn't brush the front this week. Yay. I had a little difficulty but my method now is spray top with moisturizer, rub a little Curl Junkie Aloe fix, and gently smooth with my hands. I may tie a scarf for 10 min for extra smoothing. I added grape-seed oil to my hair at night before braiding. This morning I didn't smooth at all.

3. I pulled back my hair very loosely. Traction from bunning resulted in thinning in the middle front area. It can't be seen from the angle that I took my pics.

4. I examined my deep crown and found what I know now is breakage. I'm trying to figure out why. I fear bobby pins may have come into play.

5. I became aware that at night went I lay on my back I will rest my arm over my eyes...sort of like a tent. Guess where my arms end up touching. Over my temples of course. So I have to make a special effort not to do this. Half the time I don't realize I'm doing it until my arm is up there.

My assignment for this week is to find a satin ponytail holder.

itismehmmkay

So I'm trippin; looks like I do have some breakage in the crown area. Think I may do a quick retouch tonight.

And as far as my rollersets, I usually use the cap rollers, but I'm thinking that could be causing some breakage, especially in the front. I've been using just the metal clips (what I'd use for a dry rollerset). Think I'll keep that up. I really only need the caps if 1) I have shorter pieces that I need to keep on the roller, like in the back and 2) if I have newgrowth that I need to straigthen, but that's not the case really.