Dyed My Hair and it Fell out... Please Help

stephluvshair

i just want to cry. Everytime Must hair starts doing well something bad happens. I died my hair a month ago with Bigen Oriental. Lord what a mistake. It has gotten so thin I cant even show you pictures. My hair was beautiful and I ruined it!!!! i keep crying because I can no longer wear it out. I really don't know what happened. I am BSB natural and its points because my hair looks horrible.. I need so advice, guidance anything, i'm really just about to give up.

starting today I will apply JBCo to my hair 3x a week
take MSM and biotin
and stay away from heat for @ least 2 months....

Please help me ladies. I'm such a fool for even dying my hair

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Oh no :(. Are you for sure it's that bad??? You will need to baby your hair for at least the next six months. You also may be in need of a trim or cut depending on how bad the breakage is. Moisture, protein, protective styling, definitely no heat to straighten are all in order. You may need to do an aphogee treatment if you haven't already done so.

Ivonnovi

:grouphug: This time next year you and your hair will be Fit n'Fabulous. Till then rock them protective styles with poise and confidence!

90% of us have been there, the other 10% don't know it. LOL

leona2025

Something similar happened to me, but I did much worse than you. I double bleached and then put on a rinse and then a perm color and then relaxed all within a span of weeks. I only did it to my bangs so that's the only place it fell out.

To stop the breakage I did the aphogee 2 step. After that of course a moisturizing dc. I didn't comb or brush or manipulate that area for a while. It was very brittle even when wet. I eventually had to cut away all the damaged hair.

stephluvshair

thanks ladies.. i don't have breakage. My hair is just really thin and its disgusting. It keeps shedding.

My routine:
prepoo 2 eggs, mane tail conditioner, evoo (45 mins)
shampoo with Jason biotin shampoo
DC with silicon mix mixed with JBCO and liquid MSM(2hrs)
detangle, apply Organics Leavin
twist in 8 parts and airdry
moisturize with ORS shea butter moisturizer and seal with JBCO

take biotin once a day
will start taking MSM powder mixed with orange juice

i have got my hair trimmed to BSB already... wat else would you ladies suggest>

PJaye

I’m so sorry this is happening to you. It sounds like you’re having a bad allergic reaction to the PPD that’s contained in the Bigen.

Although I am no expert by any means, my first instinct is to suggest that you gently (yet methodically) begin the process of rebuilding and repairing, particularly your scalp. To that end, you might want to look into the benefits of using some of the Ayurvedic herbs/powders, as well as my favorite product of all time – castor oil.

Again, I’m so sorry that you are going through this, but don’t despair. Things will get better in time; just hold on.

Evolving78

i would try a black tea rinse to combat the shedding and the moisturize your hair and protect it. this happened to me when i got a hold of some bad dye. i ended up having a bald spot. it took a couple of months for the spot to fill in. i would apply Megatek and castor oil to that spot daily.

abcd09

Op Im sorry this happened :nono:. Is your hair falling out from the scalp or is it breaking? Did you notice it right away, or did it take a month for the damage to set in?

JinaRicci

Oh no, sorry to hear. Have you called the company? If not, you should report this ASAP. Also check with an MD: find out if you had a bad reaction and make sure something else is not involved. All the best.

JJamiah

I’m so sorry this is happening to you. It sounds like you’re having a bad allergic reaction to the PPD that’s contained in the Bigen.

Although I am no expert by any means, my first instinct is to suggest that you gently (yet methodically) begin the process of rebuilding and repairing, particularly your scalp. To that end, you might want to look into the benefits of using some of the Ayurvedic herbs/powders, as well as my favorite product of all time – castor oil.

Again, I’m so sorry that you are going through this, but don’t despair. Things will get better in time; just hold on.

I was going to say the same thing. My kids grandma went through this and unfortuantely her doc couldn't even help.
She went through issues of oosing and pussing and craddle cap for 2 years. Yes she used the Dermatologist Medications ointments and shampoos. Nada

I bought her some Alma Oil to help with in a month she was back to her old self.

candy626

Sorry that happened to you :-(. I've heard some really positive and realy negative reviews on Bigen. If you ever color again after this incidient I would suggest Revlon Colorsilk (it is also ammonia free, very gentle, and makes hair feel soft and conditioned after. I've never heard of anybody having breakage/shedding issues with it unlike Bigen).

I agree with others on doing some heavy protein treatments and low manipulation for awhile. Definitely stay away from heat styling until the shedding stops.

Last edited:

Kirei

thanks ladies.. i don't have breakage. My hair is just really thin and its disgusting. It keeps shedding.

My routine:
prepoo 2 eggs, mane tail conditioner, evoo (45 mins)
shampoo with Jason biotin shampoo
DC with silicon mix mixed with JBCO and liquid MSM(2hrs)
detangle, apply Organics Leavin
twist in 8 parts and airdry
moisturize with ORS shea butter moisturizer and seal with JBCO

take biotin once a day
will start taking MSM powder mixed with orange juice

i have got my hair trimmed to BSB already... wat else would you ladies suggest>

All this sounds like too much protein.

You dyed your hair black right? So you don't really need too much extra protein b/c you didn't lighten/bleach your hair.

Are you sure it's not the MSM? Seems like you're using a lot of that too.

I would honestly suggest simplifying your regimen a lot.

1 Vitamin a day
1 Wash & condition a week (no pre-poo and all that just detangle wash & condition)
DC Once every 2 weeks or 1 a month.

Then build from here as you see fit. That's the only way you're going to find out why your hair is shedding so badly.

MsLi@512

Well IMHO since you know what caused the problem and you were able to have good growth before you dyed, it seems pretty simple. Never ever dye again at least with that product. chelate and/or clarify, get a nice protein treatment to slow the shedding, or try garlic or tea rinsing. Then go back to doing what caused the good growth/retention in the first place.

stephluvshair

ok so i will cut back on the prepooing ... i just incorporated msm last night so it could stop the shedding and thicken up my hair .....

JJamiah ... how was ur grandma using the Alma?

JJamiah

she used it first as a Hot Oil then washed it out. She said it was fine like that but then she started to leave it in after getting from under the dryer and styled it as normal.

She shampoos before putting it in; adds a cap full, gets under dryer, then washes/then started to just leave it in.

Lila25

OP sorry to hear about this. I went natural because I used begin back around the beginning of November 2009. I was afraid I had damaged my scalp because it was itching, crusty and oozing. This went on for 2 months until the symptoms started to subside. I was able to transition for 12 months and do my big chop in Nov 2010. It doesn't sondheim like you have the severe scalp damage I had, so it appears you can baby your hair bake to health. I agree with Selah in the previous post. Your using way too much protein.. In fact the Begin along with your protein treatments may be what's causing you to shed so much..it may be the combination of the two, not the hair coloring alone.

Protein can dry out the hair seriously if too much is used. No heat for a few months, lots if moisture.. Honey, 100% cold pressed coconut oil, spritz your hair with water and seal it. Wear your hair in protective styles until it begins to feel healthy again..deep condition your hair once a week for at least a month.. Gently wash your hair, the dye will continue to come out.. Bigen is strong and even when I thought I had washed it all out, the next time I washed my hair, I still had black dye coming out of my hair..so you may still have some residue in your hair..

Keep us posted, all is not lost!

stephluvshair

i will be taking all ur advice and reducing my protein... i just want everything to get back to normal...i dont really post and you guys really made me feel better today .. i was in tears before

Anonymous1

sliding under the radar
Sadly this happened to me and I went from BSL to neck length about three years ago. I had a very bad reaction to the dye. I babied my hair and finally got it back on track

ylinspired

This has happened to me too many times. I usually hide my hair (braids, wigs, sew in weaves)
It usually takes 1 1/2- 2 years for my hair to grow back. I usually get longer length, and I grow it back without cutting. Going through it right now :(

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

abcd09

just wanted to say I'm going through something similar with my right side of my head being noticeably thinner at the scalp than the left. I haven't figured an exact cause, but it could be either from a relaxer I had a month before I noticed or overdosing on ibuprofen for a two week period which I immediately noticed in the process so I stopped. currently I am babying my scalp with massages, sulfur, mt and Mn and taking vitamins. I understand what your going through when you just want healthy, beautiful hair yet everything you do that is helpful ends up setting you back. keep us updated on your progress

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
All this sounds like too much protein.

You dyed your hair black right? So you don't really need too much extra protein b/c you didn't lighten/bleach your hair.

Are you sure it's not the MSM? Seems like you're using a lot of that too.

I would honestly suggest simplifying your regimen a lot.

1 Vitamin a day
1 Wash & condition a week (no pre-poo and all that just detangle wash & condition)
DC Once every 2 weeks or 1 a month.

Then build from here as you see fit. That's the only way you're going to find out why your hair is shedding so badly.

^^^^^^I was going to say the same thing

Sent from my iPhone while out living my best life!

Kindheart

Use Groganics Freeze Shedding pills ,they worked wonders for me.
Also,get a trim ,and use sulfate free pruducts.
Keracare shampoo is very gentle and doesnt strip your hair.
Elvive protein 60 sec treatment + my honeychild hair mask saved my hair.

hothair

First things first, use a neutralising shampoo like ORS Aloe leave it on for at least 5 minutes, Do an Aphogee two step treatment and follow up with a very moisturising DC for at least 30 minutes. Put it in a loose pony bun then leave the hair alone till it dries, then apply your leave in and seal don't touch it till next wash day. After every wash and DC spray on infusium or Aphogee Green tea restructurising spray. Try not to manipulate the hair when not wash day.

allmundjoi

I wouldn't do much protein. You said you hair seems thin right? You are experiencing shedding no breakage right? Maybe your hair seems thin, density wise, because of the excessive shedding, not the actual hair strands. How do the strands look and feel?

So far it sounds like a scalp issue-I agree with previous posters that say tea rinses, garlic, castor oil (to the scalp and stands) NO HEAT (for a much longer than 2 mths). You don't want to over do it with protein, you may just compound the issue.

I am no hair guru and know where my strenghs lie. I will defer to someone who has a much better analytical approach when it comes to hair and seasoned advice...Nonie.

Eta: I am not terribly familar with allergic rxns to ppd where shedding is the only symptom (usually it is itching/weepy scalp) but if it is a true rxn you need to see an MD/DO.

Kn0ttyByNatur3

I hope your hair recovers, OP. *sigh* I know most of us have been there when it came to excessive shedding. Its no fun at all. :nono:

I hope everyones' advice helps out! :)