KBSS Boycott Planning Thread

What should the name of this boycott be?

• UnOccupy the BSS

Votes: 48 34.3%
  • Stop the BSS

Votes: 85 60.7%
  • I have another suggestion (please make it known in the thread!)

Votes: 7 5.0%

• Total voters

Tamster

Stop the BSS- Support Black Owned Businesses

Hey ladies, thought I would start a new thread where we could continue hardcore non black owned Beauty Supply Store Boycott planning... we were on a roll.

Stop The BSS... a campaign to support black owned beauty supply stores.

For reference this is the thread that started it off: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=578481 (thank you @Guitarhero) It illustrates the racist policies that wedge black business owners out of the beauty supply industry and helps breakdown how it is possible that a billion dollar industry is nothing but a drain to the black community rather than boosting it (because our dollars flow out, not in) It is also worth mentioning that while Korean's may own a large amount of BSS, they are not the only ones, as a few ladies have mentioned. Other groups have been found to act in the very same discriminatory manner. This is not about being anti-Korean, or anti(insert group that owns the BSS near you) it is about directing money back into the black community.

This is not a boycott focused around hate.

STRATEGY (and goal completion dates):

• compile a list/continue with our research about black owned BSS and companies-ongoing
  • find alternatives for traditional BSS products- like weave - ongoing
  • recruit, recruit, recruit - start the boycott here, but spread it
  • compile a list of resources about the issue so that it is clear and understandable - ongoing, @tiffers is writing a draft
  • make a plan of action: when do we want to launch this thing? - November 20th is the goal date to launch
  • Create a name STOP THE BSS
  • Create Facebook and Twitter Accounts by November 5th (@Tamster and tiffers are working on the twitter account)
  • Contact BOBSA - @faithVA is working on this
  • Contacting organizations - @calmsensual1 has volunteered to be the point person

****This thread is strictly for planning the boycott against Non Black Owned Beauty Supply Stores... with the goal of directing money back into our community.

Things like legal action and other steps can also be discussed, but the main theme of this thread is getting the boycott off the ground and directing money back into our own community.

Let's do this ladies!:drunk:

Resources:

http://operationbuyitblack.lefora.com/
- ***THIS IS THE NEW PLANNING/DISCUSSION FORUM***
aka where we will hammer out the nitty gritty details.List of Black Owned Beauty Supply Stores

Black Owned Beauty Supply Association (BOBSA)

A documentary about the non black owned beauty supply stores

A thread about the issue in the Essence forums

Article about Take it Back University

Beauty Supply Institute

Good articles about the issue:
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2598179/posts
http://www.blackinformant.com/uncate...-care-industry
http://cascade.patch.com/articles/the-ugly-side-of-the-beauty-supply-market

***Black Owned Weave Companies***

Arjuni Hair youtube channel

Onyc Hair http://blog.fabmagazineonline.com/?p=10938

Last edited:

davisbr88

I am not sure on the name but I really like Unoccupy the BSS, particularly since the "occupy" movement is so prevalent now. I don't like Occupy Black Hair that much because it kinda sounds like a lice movement or something... lol.
A good day to shoot for might be November 20, which is the National Day of Black Consciousness that's celebrated in Brazil. It celebrates the contributions Afro-Brazilians have made on society, but I think it'd also be a good day for this as well.

DrC

Thanks for tagging me. Quick question though, are we sure that they are ALL Korean? Are we doing the boycott against the major distributors, business owners, or both??

Last edited:

beana

Stop the BSS is very catchy and will generate attention. I like davisbr88's nov 20th idea for the launch date. Even though its right around the corner, if we act fast and pool our resources we should hve a concrete plan of action complete with a fact sheet of bullet points about the issue AND a list of black owned BSS to support. I will help create the fact sheet and can help with other areas of the project as well.

I really believe we can make this a major movement.

SmilingElephant

Lol @ lice movement!!! Lawd:lachen:

We are boycotting Asian BSS's.

Ladies....let's not loose focus that this is simply an effort to put money back into OUR community. It's not a "we hate Asians thread"....we are targeting the Asians that hate...us.

November 20th sounds good.

But how long are we gonna do it? I say 3 months. 1 week of boycotting is not nearly enough time for shock therapy to the Asian BSS's. We need a timeframe where enough ppl will get the msg and join us.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I think it would be more realistic if we didn't cut out stores like Walgreens and Target. :yep:

Pretty much shop anywhere except Asian bss'.

faithVA

I'm checking in but will come back tomorrow when I'm more alert. After 10 is too late for me to be effective at planning.

Thanks for the new thread OP

davisbr88

Stop the BSS is very catchy and will generate attention. I like davisbr88's nov 20th idea for the launch date. Even though its right around the corner, if we act fast and pool our resources we should hve a concrete plan of action complete with a fact sheet of bullet points about the issue AND a list of black owned BSS to support. I will help create the fact sheet and can help with other areas of the project as well.

I really believe we can make this a major movement.

ITA. A fact sheet would be great, and I would love to help contribute. I would also be willing to make an FB page. I'm pretty sure we would get people leaving stupid comments on the page and whatnot, but FB and Twitter are really good ways to spread the word, especially if we get a major blogger/YT personality backing us.
Maybe we should create a task list?
We could just compile all the things we want to accomplish and set a date on them.
For instance:
  • Contact some Black-owned BSS for facts about business and for support (numbers, stats, etc) - by November 4
  • Contact xyz people to ask for support/advertising - by November 5

There's a lot to do in a little bit of time but we have a lot of people willing to help, so I don't think it will be too hard. Plus, November 20 would just be the launch date. If we decide to go for 3 months, people will join in as the time passes.

Let's do this. The quickest way to catch attention is to make it a trending topic on twitter.

Facebook too. Most people I know have facebooks, even people who have careers and snoop around on their kids have one! :lol:

Is November enough time to 'spread the word?' And is it stupid to ask but, should we/someone alert the korean salon owners what is going on?:look:

Tamster

Facebook too. Most people I know have facebooks, even people who have careers and snoop around on their kids have one! :lol:

Is November enough time to 'spread the word?' And is it stupid to ask but, should we/someone alert the korean salon owners what is going on?:look:

naw... let them find out for themselves :lol:

quick question - why is the boycott time limited (a day, a week, 3 months) is there a reason?

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
The easiest things that can be done by the end of the week would be creating a FB page and a twitter acct.

I think creating a twitter account and tweeting facts about what's going on would be cool. After every tweet, we can put #UnoccupyTheBSS (or whatever hashtag we choose)

Speaking of hashtags, we really need to decide on which ones to use! :)

davisbr88 likes #UnoccupyTheBSS

I personally like #StopTheBSS

Anyone else have any input?

Hmm, I go to Sally's and usually order my hair care from online, so how can I 'stick it to the man?' in this case? lol.

Even then Sally's isn't Korean owned. (At least to my knowledge)..But even then, it's not a big loss for me if I got to go to hairveda or pinkdandy's and order awesome haircare.

Just a thought, maybe some other ladies are wondering the same thoughts?

Tamster

I think spreading the word, and building the movement (lol) is just as effective if you already don't patronize the businesses that we are trying to boycott.

For every one of us that knows, I bet there are 5 that don't.

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
Stop the Bss is catchy!

The only downfall is that the title is not addressing the fact that we are not refraining from shopping at ALL BSS, just the ones that aren't owned by AA's.

Mo to the...

The easiest things that can be done by the end of the week would be creating a FB page and a twitter acct.

I think creating a twitter account and tweeting facts about what's going on would be cool. After every tweet, we can put #UnoccupyTheBSS (or whatever hashtag we choose)

Speaking of hashtags, we really need to decide on which ones to use! :)

davisbr88 likes #UnoccupyTheBSS

I personally like #StopTheBSS

Anyone else have any input?

I like the UnoccupyTheBSS better. "In my spongebob voice* IIIIII'm ready, IIIII'm ready, IIIII'm ready

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
We should have made a poll lol

What about an acronym using "Black Out?"

I'm just coming off the top of the dome lol.

Last edited:

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

Where I Live All The Muslims Own The Beauty Supply Stores And None Are Asian. But Aren't All The Distributors Asian?

precisely what i came to say... same here:yep::look:
FYI = same practices (in fact, back in 2004-5) I tried to open a BSS store in my home state/city and was flat out told: "they won't sell to you":look: By the BSS stores (huge chains ) from our areas. I was also told "they will not sell to you, and if you open a store we will essentially continue to LOWER PRICES UNTIL YOU ARE OUT OF BUSINESS"

as god as my witness, this is verbatim what I was told. But as for our immediate area, only about 1-2 asian owned BSS tops! majority are of Arab descent, etc

(actually they even bought my mom's company after being their for 30 yrs & the 1st done was to rid ALL their retirement plans:sad:) but tha'ts ummmm off topic:look:

vvvv Tamster i would name it ANYTHING stating "support, or buy only periods of black businesses)<-- for whatever name decided

I agree with poster above, it extremely important NOT to start a hate campaign, but rather a strong & POSITIVE movement towards supporting black businesses

Last edited:

Tamster

Should I add a poll?

Stop the BSS
Unoccupy the BSS

...are those are two options at the moment?

(Also - should I change the OP to just non black owned BSS stores?)

What about websites such as sleekhair.com, beauty-mart.com, beautyofnewyork.com, etc. Is there a way of verifying who owns these companies? I bet they're Asian/Korean-owned ...