Where are all the update threads?! My 2011 *pics*

Kneechay

I have to say I've gotten extremely hair lazy since I stopped weaving in Aug 2010. I've been bunning & doing twistouts and calling it a day. I let someone borrow my camera, and they broke it, so I'm buying a new one maybe next week so please forgive the whack camera phone pics.

This is how I usually wear my hair outside of buns. Twistout, bobby pinned up on one side to keep it out of my face, then when it's old, I bobby pin up in the back.

I hadn't straightened in a while and the last time I did I didn't wear it down or measure, but it was this pic from March 2011:

I thought it was funny to show a pictorial of my straightening process.

I tell people that when I wash and emerge straight from the shower, my hair shrinks up to about ear length. In this picture, I tried to put oil, eco styler gel and use a paddle brush to attain clumped curls to 'freeze' this style into a fro...of some sort... but it was a FAIL. I've learned for me, it seems the longer my hair grows, the more it shrinks.

So I wash, let it air dry a bit, and blow dry on cool

Applied products, flat ironed

I curled it a bit with the flat iron (which I hate by the way) for volume

My hair has a little of that 'natural hair that's just been flat ironed frizzy look' and I wrapped it in saran wrap, sat under the dryer and wrapped it over night with my scarf. I didn't like my ends, so I cut off that V-ish thing going on at the ends and curled it lightly with my flat iron the next day

these pictures suck. Sorry, y'all.

I've noticed a lot more thickness in my hair and in comparison to March 2011's picture, just very minimal growth, but definite thickness.

It's always fun looking back where you began. Just like in my siggy, I compared then and now:

That was Jan 2009, the semester I graduated from UT and began using the board more frequently. I used to whip my hair all over the place like I was Willow when that tip was almost at APL. You couldn't tell me NOTHING!! :lol:

I also compared my hair to the last sew-in I had. I had 12inches sewn in:

I'm getting close to reaching that length. I think to be honest, it's where my journey will end.

I have a wedding tomorrow, so I think I'll dry flexi rod set it and see what happens. I'm going to be winging it. lol

Thank you all for looking, and sorry the pics aren't up to par, but I was asked by multiple people to do an update thread and it's been a while, so I did so. Good luck to everyone in their hair journeys and I'm looking forward to seeing more update threads this year.

---More pictures towards bottom of this thread

Last edited:

Cheekychica

Wow! Your hair has always been beautiful to me. :up:

Also, I'm not sure why you hate your flat iron because it seems to work wonders- last time I flat ironed with my croc, I still had that fuzzy look. :nono:

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
Beautiful head of hair! That shrinkage is crazy. what's your flat iron regimen?

Kerryann

Lady i was wondering what happened to you and your love head of hair. i loved your weaves also you made great progress since the last set of pics ive seen and its been a while with that gorgeous ponytail you had

Kneechay

Wow! Your hair has always been beautiful to me. :up:

Also, I'm not sure why you hate your flat iron because it seems to work wonders- last time I flat ironed with my croc, I still had that fuzzy look. :nono:

Aww, thanks lady! Missed ya! How've you been!? I liked the flat iron model before the current one I had. This one is okay, but it's just bulky. I blew out the older one when I plugged it in an um...incorrect plug in our house in Nigeria. :nono: The house flickered, there was a spark, my trusty Tool Science passed away. By the time I got back to the States, they weren't being sold anymore, the new model is what I was stuck with. The old model was slim so I was able to curl like a curling iron this one's just too bulky.

Beautiful head of hair! That shrinkage is crazy. what's your flat iron regimen?

Thank you so much!
I DC for like 3 hrs. Wash and condition, then i apply a little paul mitchell smoothing serum and a little bit of my shea butter/oils mix and let it air dry damp. I blow dry with a comb attachment in cool to low heat in the sections then ponytail it all up. I start from my nape and flat iron on like 365 degrees on 1inch pieces all the way up.

I wrap with a saran wrap, sit under my dryer for 15 minutes, then wrap with my silk scarf overnight. That's my straightening technique. It works for me.

Bnster

Beautiful! Thanks for showing us your updates, it looks like you are pretty much at your goal or at least by end of year. I am happy for you and can't wait for the day that I reach my goal too! Your updo style is real cute and amazed at the difference in shrinkage, it is quite dramatic.

AmyRose92

I love love love your twist out styles. They look wonderful!
Seeing your flat ironed pics is making me itch to buy a Maxiglide but I have to wait 'till December! :spinning:
Nice progress! :yep:

SimJam

Wow I cuddnt type waht came to my mouth when I saw your hair !!!!!!!!

beautiful just beautiful !!!

Kneechay

Lovely pics!! Im stunned at the shrinkage its like some kind of magic trick :lol:

Right?! I couldn't believe it myself. After I blow dried one quadrant, I was completely amazed. Our hair is something else.

I love love love your twist out styles. They look wonderful!
Seeing your flat ironed pics is making me itch to buy a Maxiglide but I have to wait 'till December! :spinning:
Nice progress! :yep:

Thank you. My twistouts are a lazy combo of braid outs and twistouts. It saves me time and gives me good definition. I do braids on the outsides and twists on the inside parts
Let me know how that MaxiGlide works for you. I'm itching for a new iron, I want something slimmer than what I own.

@ Kneechay: Beautiful hair & progress!!! You favor YAYA with your hair pinned up, very pretty...

Girl, don't tell me that, I'm over here cheesing! I love Yaya, and you know, that was the look I was going for with the pinned up twists, it's such an easy, cute and versatile style!

prettybyrd

Your hair is so pretty! You make me wish I haven't sworn off heat for the next year, because I want my hair to look like yours real soon! :)

virtuenow

Thanks for doing the update thread afterall :). Its great thaqt you can say your hair journey is complete. I look forward to the day I can say that too. I have a feeling I will be able to not too far from here. I really like your layers and thickness,. You're obviously dooing something right. By the way, youre past the length of your sew in (or at a similar lenght). I think you have a tad bit hairorexia.

bellebebe

Black people hair is magical. lol... How in the heck does it shrink like that? where's the rest of it? lol... Anyway, I'm loving the progress, chica.

Kneechay

Your hair is so pretty! You make me wish I haven't sworn off heat for the next year, because I want my hair to look like yours real soon! :)

girl, keep swearing off that heat, it helps and it's a good thing. It helped me to cut off heat for a while. There were tons of temptation, but you've got to fight it.

you and your hair are gorgeous.
I love the twistout pin-up-lovely!

Hey chick, are you modeling yet? Thanks for the kind words!