Long Hair Care Forum
Home Rules Feature Of The Month !! SUBSCRIBE !! Reviews iSpy Blogs Groups Contact Us

Go Back   Long Hair Care Forum > Long Hair Care Forum's Discussion Boards > Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion

User Tag List

Old 05-07-2005, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Default 4b hair growth?

Does any one else with 4b hair grow slow? My hair only grew 1/2 inch in 8 weeks. I am so... discouraged. Do you guys think this is because of my hair texture?
Old 05-07-2005, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: 4b hair growth?

Not a 4b, but know a lot that hair goes just like anybody else.

water intake ?

diet ?
Old 05-07-2005, 06:53 PM
Loving Life, Living Well.

Thanked 2,000 Times in 709 Posts
Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Talking Re: 4b hair growth?

I have 4a/4b, but on my last stretch, my hair grew about 3/4" a month for a total of 2.5 inches in 12 weeks. I don't know whether that is fast/slow or not. I am going to increase my protein, because my hair seems to be growing a little slower this time. I drink lots of water and take GNC Ultra Nourishair twice a day, and Centrum Multi once a day. Other than my growth being slow so far this stretch, my hair is still healthy.

*Growing forth to Classic Length! Oh what a foray this shall be into territory unknown!
Old 05-07-2005, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

I confess, I don't drink a lot of water. Something I am definitely trying to change. My diet, I think it's pretty good. I'm trying to up my protein intake. I should also start taking my vitamins again. I just hate swallowing pills. But for better health and better hair, I guess I have to.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Going out on a limb, here...

I think that 4b hair does grow the slowest out of all hair types. It is the most fragile and drier than the other hair types and breaks faster because of all the bends and angles. I know some of it has to do with hair care and diet, but I really think it grows the slowest. The looser the curl/kink pattern, the faster the hair grows. Not an expert, however, I've seen enough heads to prove my theory correct.

I know a lot of people will disagree....that's what I truly believe and until I see something different...someone telling me it's not that way isn't gonna cut it for me anymore...
The Following User Says Thank You to TigerLily For This Useful Post:
Prettymetty (04-21-2014)
Old 05-07-2005, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladylynn
Does any one else with 4b hair grow slow? My hair only grew 1/2 inch in 8 weeks. I am so... discouraged. Do you guys think this is because of my hair texture?
That is about right.
The normal rate of growth is 1/4 every 4 weeks.
Several factors play in hair growth.
Are you taking vitamins, working out, drinking water, avoiding caffeine and fats, and massaging the scalp.

Right now I don't even think that my hair is growing at all because I am under soooooooooooo much stress right now.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:21 PM
LaNecia

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

At least I know I'm not alone and that it's not just in my head. My hair usually creeps at about 1/4" a month, on a good month, I'll get about 1/2". When I used to retouch every 6-8 weeks, seemed to me that my hair started moving a bit faster around week 5 and 6. I've wondered if that was due to scalp trauma from the relaxers....

I've managed to get my growth to a little over a 1/2" a month but I think that's about as good as it is going to get. As long as it's growing, I keep it healthy and retain as much length as possible, I'll be happy with that.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:22 PM

Thanked 21,795 Times in 2,780 Posts
Mentioned: 595 Post(s)
Tagged: 55 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladylynn
I guess I can see why you are freaking out because I just did the math and I guess if the 1/2 inch growth continues every 8 weeks you'd only get about 3 inches in a year and that's if you don't lose or cut any of it. Most of my hair is 4a but I believe I have some 4b on my sides (really spongy and major shrinkage) but it grows really fast and does not break off easily. I don't really know what to say but I always think about DSD and her motto of Don't Speak Defeat. Don't give up just yet. Maybe it will grow faster in the summer. Maybe that hair needs more moisture. But for now maybe say, I'm going to figure out what my 4b hair needs to help it grow a little quicker and then be patient with yourself and with your hair. And in the end if it does grow really slow and you can't do anything about it, embrace it, because it is growing, it's all you got and it can do things and hold styles that the other hair textures can't. Don't really know what else to say except good luck and don't give up.
Can hardly believe it's been three years since my bc
and four years since my last relaxer.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily
Going out on a limb, here...

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=4]I think that 4b hair does grow the slowest out of all hair types. It is the most fragile and drier than the other hair types and breaks faster because of all the bends and angles...I know a lot of people will disagree....
I think you are almost right.

4B hair is definitely the most fragile and breaks because it is harder for oil (moisture) to travel down the hair shaft through all of the angles...
Because it breaks easier... it appears to grow slower, but I don't think it does.

I have 4B hair and my hair grows really quickly.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:28 AM

Quote:
I think that 4b hair does grow the slowest out of all hair types. It is the most fragile and drier than the other hair types and breaks faster because of all the bends and angles. I know some of it has to do with hair care and diet, but I really think it grows the slowest.
ITA. I have 2 4b patches and it's not so much that they grow slower but the hair is so fragile that it breaks easily. My 4a and 3c parts especially tend to retain the growth I acquire so basically my hair is never even. The 4b sections are always shorter.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:23 AM

Thanked 40,092 Times in 8,467 Posts
Mentioned: 394 Post(s)
Tagged: 21 Thread(s)

I always thought that most human hair grew 1/2 and inch a month?

Either way, I am 4a/b and my hair grows just fine.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:55 AM

Thanked 14,058 Times in 3,934 Posts
Mentioned: 444 Post(s)
Tagged: 130 Thread(s)

I heard that type 4 hair does not grow very long but I do not believe that is true. like the other people said type 4b is more fragile,breaks easier, and it's harder for moisture to get to the whole shaft, therefore you cannot retain the length. But I think it is possible for it to grow with the right diet and proper care.
Old 05-08-2005, 03:06 AM

Thanked 2,816 Times in 693 Posts
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Cool Re: 4b hair growth?

There are SEVERAL nappies (myself included) that have proved the whole "nappy hair grows slower because of its texture" ideal to be a straight up MYTH....so NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I don't think your TEXTURE (rather 45678910ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ) has ANYTHING to do with it.

And for the record nappy hair is NOT hard to moisturize especially since water and naps go hand "n" hand. Its a matter of finding out what works best for you and treating your hair with simple care.

Last edited by Netta1; 05-08-2005 at 03:15 AM.
Old 05-08-2005, 04:02 AM

Yeah...I've seen several, too. However, the people with type 1,2,3, 4a hair outweigh the several that I've seen. What I've seen isn't a myth. Sorry, I just do not believe that....

I think texture has everything to do with it. Care and diet plays a role, but I think texture plays a bigger role. I see more type 1,2,3, 4a retain length and grow faster waaaay more than 4b's. (and I've seen a lot of heads, especially being on these darn hair forums! )

I've had nappy hair and it was darn hard to moisturize. Water and my napps did NOT go hand in hand. My hair stayed dry! The more I wet/washed it the drier it got. (I never understood the whole 'water is the best moisturizer' saying....my hair disagreed loud and clear on that one!) I know I'm not the only one, who's had this problem, so I know it is harder to moisturize because of the bends and angles. Maybe that worked for you and some others because you're hair holds moisture, but everyone's hair does not hold moisture...

Last edited by TigerLily; 05-08-2005 at 04:06 AM.
Old 05-08-2005, 05:27 AM

My 4a hair does not grow fast. Most months I get the normal half of an inch or slightly under it. Only sometimes I get 3/4 of an inch.

But

hair type has nothing to do with how much hair actually grows out of your scalp. That's different for everyone, regardless of hair type.
Old 05-08-2005, 05:32 AM

Tiger.... you serious? Water on my hair is working out marvelously, and I've got some thick, nappy hair. 4a isn't considered to be nappy?!?

Why would a certain hair type grow faster than another? Like, a scientific reason??? Retaining length is easier for looser curl patterns, but I'm talking about actually GROWING the hair. Why would a type 3 grow hair faster than a 4?
Old 05-08-2005, 09:10 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Everything I've ever read or heard from sources "in the know" about the rate of hair growth says that average hair growth is 1/4 to 1/2 inch per month. Hair type was not mentioned as an important factor, but age and season were. Specifically, children's hair tends to grow faster than adults, and hair tends to grow faster during warm weather.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

I've read that Asian hair grows at 0.7 inches/mth, White hair at 0.5 inches/mth and Black hair at 0.3 inches/mth.
And the average of these 3 numbers is 0.5 inches/mth. Maybe that's where the idea that hair grows at 0.5 inches/mth on average comes from.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:20 AM

My 4a/4b hair grows can grow 1" a month if I give it a lot of TLC. I would say on average my hair grow 1/2 " a month since I never really measured my hair length. But I do not from experience that whenever I had caught my hair above my shoulders my hair grows back to shoulder length in a blink of an eye.

Hair growth is a combination of hair texture, heredity and TLC that is given to hair. My hair was always pass my shoulders and if I give TLC it grows faster than flowing water.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:08 AM

Thanked 1,988 Times in 313 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche19
Tiger.... you serious? Water on my hair is working out marvelously, and I've got some thick, nappy hair. 4a isn't considered to be nappy?!?

Why would a certain hair type grow faster than another? Like, a scientific reason??? Retaining length is easier for looser curl patterns, but I'm talking about actually GROWING the hair. Why would a type 3 grow hair faster than a 4?
Why ask why? Seriously, who knows why things are the way that they are. Why do asians have the strongest strands of hair? Why is it so hard to imagine that a certain type of hair would grow faster than another?

Last edited by GoingBack; 05-08-2005 at 11:10 AM.