How Can I keep My Curls?

Country gal

Certain parts of my natural hair stay curled all the time where other parts get really curly when wet but sometimes does not dry with the curl definition. What products can I use on my wet hair to keep the curls in place when my hair drys. Sorry if it is confusing you know I am natual challenged, :lol:

ChocoKitty

Stuff I've used...

unrefined shea butter
conditioner... Today it's MnT mixed with honey ;)
Citre Shine Curl Booster

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Thanks ChocoKitty... I might have to check out that Citre Shine Curl Booster... :driver:

sbaker... I have the same problem. I have a lot of areas where there are tiny spirals and some areas that are just curly/bushy looking. :ohwell: Thanks for starting this thread.

chocolate01

I'm not all natural yet but I have noticed the same thing. I chalked it up to different textures in my hair but I might have to check out these recs. Anybody have anymore?

Leshia

I just tested the Dream Curls Curl Booster by John Frieda. That stuff curled me hair up very nicely and it was nice when it was dry too...

I also like the Got 2 B Smooth Miracle Repair Treatment. It must be the wheat protein because that product gives me lots of curl definition. I love that stuff. HTH

tropicexotic

free @ last
It could be your hair frizzes when it's dry...so I'd try something like a gel, or an anti frizz product. I used a smooth and control lotion by Suenos and that took away alot of frizz for me. :)

Ayeshia

A small amount of mango butter works really well. The less the better ive come to find out. Even just a simple leave in and not manipulating my hair whatsoever until it completely dries to avoid unwanted frizz.

CLASSYEBONYGIRL

I use Suave conditioners as a leave-in conditioner sometimes or Asha's silk rose elixir leave-in conditioner and African Pride leave-in conditioner followed by a moisturizer World of Curls/ myhoneychild honey hair milk/ my honeychild caribbean hair activator. For final touches I add some gel and a serum. My favorite gel is Qhemet Biologics honeybush hair tea soft hold gel and my favorite serum is NTM or Oyin's shine and define serum.

Kinky curly is also a good alternative for all of the hair products that I have mentioned above. It's definately a huge hit because it makes your hair soft, shiny, moisturized and it also gives great curl defination.

After you have applied all these products you should not do any manipulation. Just let it airdry and you should be good to go.

Here are some simple recipes from Lorraine Masseys Curly girl book:

Lavender Mist (used to revive your curls)

1/2 gallon water
5 drops pure (not synthetic) lavendar essential oil
3 empty spray bottles (available at most drugstores)

1. Fill a large pot wih a half gallon of water.
2. Cover, bring t oa boil, and simmer for an hour to get rid of impurities. (Check occasionally to make sure water is not boiling away.)
3. Remove from heat, add lavendar oil, stir, and replace lid.
4. Let steep until cool, then pour into empty spritz bottles.

Hair dressing

This can be used as a refreshing tonicfor dry, thirsty curls.

4 tablespoons olive or almod oil
4 tablespoons of your favorite conditioner
2-3 drops musk oil or other essential oil of your choosing

Mix well and apply to wet hair. Airdry.

Glisten to me

A gentle, all natural hair spray that gives culs extra dimension abd shine.

Vegetable glycerine (found at healthfood store)
Distilled water (contains no minerals)
1 empty spray bottle (available at most drugstores)

Combine equal parts of glycerine and water in a spritz bottle and mix. Spray whenever your hair looks dull or needs a quick pick-me-up.

Good luck:)

hopeful

Ayeshia said:
My first attempted braid out... quite proud :)
Off topic but, okay Ayeisha, how cute are you?! You and your hair are gorgeous!:yep:

Last edited:

Country gal

So frizz is a new dreaded word for me. Good point about my hair may just frizz up with dry. I never thought about that. You ladies are the best. Love ya.

AYeshia- what a pretty picture. :grin:

naptrl

Dr. Naptrl :)
I use mango butter when my hair is very wet. I've learned that if I dry my hair with a towel first, I don't have as much definition. Try putting a moisturizer on when your hair is extremely wet and let it dry slowly...this sticks my curls in place and they turn out soft and pretty!

DelightfulFlame

My curls took a while after I big chopped to really show. I think b/c my hair was so short. As it grows though, I have much more definition without even trying. The get really defined coils, I just wash my hair, shake it some to get the excess water out. Then I pull some proclaim activator gel through in sections. Shake again, and then go on about my business. It'll last all week...just spray a little leave in or water, fluff, and rock on. If you can't stand the drippies, then you can wrap a t-shirt around your head (plop method). Try not to disturb the curls though.

balisi

sbaker said:
How do you keep the hair from dripping so much if you are not towel drying?
Just drape a towel over your shoulders to catch the drips while applying your products.

Ebony

My curls are more defined in certain places & more frizzy in others. It has always been that way though whether natural, relaxed or in between. I thought it had to do with my 4a/3c mix, but who knows? Anyway, for max definition my conditioners are key such as:
Conditioners: nexxus humec, a/organics, natures gate, freeman botanicals cherry humectant conditioner, suaves, pantene s&s or herbal essences
Mousse: herbal essences
Sprays: a.organics conditioner sprays, s-curl (great for moisture w/o disturbing curls cuz my hair hates anything oily)
Gels: long aid aloe vera curl activator gel, 100% aloe vera gel

Some of these products will work on my ahir while dry. When applying while wet, I find it comes out better when leaving a towel wrapped around my head for about 1/2 an hour. I can't stand to drip & wrapping helps keep moisture locked in. After that I unwrap the towel, let it continue to airdry or airdry in front of a fan or with windows rolled down when in the car(my fav technique) & whalla! Definition!

Ebony

I forgot to mention Cream of Nature Conditioner which I'm actually about to use right now for my wash n go. Good luck!