HEAVY SEALING - RESCUE YOUR DRY HAIR!

Bublin

If you have chronically and persistantly dry hair please try this method.

If you have tried everything that is usually recommended on this forum to combat brittle, fuzzy, frizzy, breaking, fragile hair and they have not worked please try this method.

Those natural oils and butters not really working for you?
Aloe Vera Juice spritz, glycerine, acv, shea butter, co-washing, deep conditioning, 100's of £'s or $'s worth of products sitting around your home..the list goes on...all not working for you? Then at least give this a go.

I have finally found a method/product that works for me and i hope it helps you.

I use GREASE on wet hair to lock in that moisture.

1. wash and condition as usual
2. use your usual leave-in's
3. proceed to style your hair as usual but instead of using those thin natural oils to seal, use a grease/pomade on sections to seal in your moisture, along the whole length of your hair, do not put it on your scalp.
4. Tie down your hair for the night with your scarf or durag.
5. in the morning your have hair that is shiney, smooth, non greasy and moisturised. You will not recognise your ends as they will be super smooth. Your edges will be smooth and laid down without an ounce of gel.

You have now locked in that moisture - it can't escape!:grin:

Use it on all wet sets - cornrows, braids, twists, buns etc.

You see, i believe that the thin oils (jojoba, coconut, grapseed etc etc) are evaporating or sinking into the hair at the same rate as a leave-in thus making your hair feel very dry and frizzy after a short amount of time.

This is what i use

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DESCRIPTION: DAX Super Light Pomade with Lanolin and Vegetable Oils gives light hold with lots of brilliant shine to all types of hair and slicked styles. A great product for the greased look! Great for styling thin and delicate hair with minimal breakage. Apply desired amount of DAX Super Light Pomade to wet or dry hair for extra shine and conditioning. Enriched with Lanolin and vegetable oils, DAX Super Light Pomade is the perfect treatment for dry hair and scalp. Light scent as well.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]INGREDIENTS: Petrolatum, Lanolin, Sweet Almond (Punus Amygdalus Dulcis) Oil, Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis), Avocado (Persea Gratissima) Oil, Sunflower Seed Helianthus Annus) Oil, Jojoba (Buxus Chinensis) Oil, Sesame (Sesamum Indicum) Oil, Wheat Germ (Triticum Vulgare) Oil, Safflower Seed (Carthamus Tinctorius) Oil, Peanut (Arachis Hypogea) Oil, Cottonseed (Gossypium) Oil, D7C Green 6 (Cl 61656), Fragrance (Parfum).[/FONT]

My natural alternative is Castor Oil as it is very very thick. However i prefer the Dax as i can just scoop out a finger full.

I use a sulphate/paraben free shampoo to wash my hair and it comes out perfectly clean. I of course clarify whenever i feel the need to but its not that often.

ARE YOU PREPARED TO TRY THE GREASE?????

EDITED TO ADD - 06 Jan 2012 - I NO LONGER USE THE DAX AS I'M TRYING TO USE AS MANY NATURAL PRODUCTS AS I CAN TO AVOID BUILD-UP. I NOW USE CASTOR OIL MIXED WITH A LITTLE JOJOBA OIL TO MAKE IT EASIER TO SPREAD, I ALSO ADD LAVENDER AND ROSEMARY EO OILS. IF CO MAKES YOUR SCALP ITCH, DILUTING WITH JOJOBA WILL PUT A STOP TO THAT. IF YOU'D RATHER USE A POMADE THERE ARE MANY SUGGESTIONS IN THIS THREAD THAT ARE PETROLATUM/MINERAL OIL FREE

ETA - 07 July 2012 - I now also use Blue Magic Castor Oil - my hair needed something heavier than the oils.

(I HAD A FEW REQUESTS TO START THIS THREAD AND GOT CARRIED AWAY WITH THE DRAMATICS :grin:)

Last edited:

lana

I requested this thread too and I am prepared to try the grease! I will buy it tomorrow and rock a braid out over the weekend. I will report back with results.

My hair is currently prone to dryness, I moisturize twice a day and seal with Hot Six Oil and it still gets dry. I am texlaxed with BSL hair. I am a 4a/b (mostly b) head. :)

Thanks Bublin! Oh wait, I can just hit the thanks button!

faithVA

I actually want to try this at some point. I am twisting my hair this weekend. I will see if it fits in the plan. If I will post an update if I do try it.

Loves Harmony

I tried this method last night. I used KBB Super Silky seal with Blue Magic Castor Oil grease. My hair is so soft.... I used it on dry hair.

Charla

Castor oil is what I use to seal and it's great. But at times I do feel like I need something a little heavier, so I'll give this a whirl and see what happens!

Lissa0821

I have been doing something similar for the past month or so. After I wash my hair, I put my leave ins and seal with a light oil at the ends of my hair while it is dripping wet. I then part my hair in thin sections and put Ultra Sheen Creme Satin Pres on my roots, if I reach an area that has started to dry I spray some distilled water in that area. I let my hair airdry after that. I find my hair is moisturized and it dries straight. The creme press does not weigh down my hair because I use a very small amount. I no longer struggle with really dry roots when I am stretching my relaxers. It takes my hair a little bit longer to get dry but I don't mind.

Majestye

OK so I'm having the fuzzy problem even when my hair is cornrowed the top is fuzzy, then by the end of the day, I have poofs where the braidout used to be. Ugh! question though: isn't petroleum bad for your hair?

Sent from my Xoom using Xoom

melissa-bee

Hmm, I can see this working for me.
Do you ever re-top during the week with the Dax? How often to you shampoo your hair, and if your hair goes dry before you wash it do you damp your hair and re-apply.
I have to do this with my butters.

Bublin

OK so I'm having the fuzzy problem even when my hair is cornrowed the top is fuzzy, then by the end of the day, I have poofs where the braidout used to be. Ugh! question though: isn't petroleum bad for your hair?

@Majestye - this method will solve that fuzzy cornrow problem!

Hmm, I can see this working for me.
Do you ever re-top during the week with the Dax? How often to you shampoo your hair, and if your hair goes dry before you wash it do you damp your hair and re-apply.
I have to do this with my butters.

@melissa-bee Yes i re-top up my sealing between washes. Where the hair starts to feels dry - usually at the root for me i will spray that area with water and re-seal with just a touch of the pomade or Castor Oil. I do not reapply the leave-in's though. If my hair is in cornrows i will undo the row(s) that look a little fuzzy, spray, reseal and re-braid it. Tie it down for the night and in the morning it is very smooth like i put gel in my hair.

Last edited:

Chiquitita

I have tried heavy sealing with vaseline in the past with good results. My hair was soft and I didn't need to moisturize as often.

Hmmm. I may have to revisit this.

Krystle~Hime

there is lots of threads about "petrolateum/grease/vaseline is the bomb"
one of them : http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=34852
I also think that mineral oil is the best moisture blocker/sealant, the 2nd after it is castor oil.

tomorrow i'm gonna buy some vaseline and for all august, use it on my ends for seal moisture ! like a one month personal challenge ^^ :rolleyes

Bublin how many times in a month do you wash your hair?

Last edited:

Bnster

My niece uses grease on her hair, she is BSL, however I am not ready to do that. What I have been doing lately is putting my NTM then Beemine Luscious Leave-in conditioner and coconut oil. I usually try to gauge when my hair needs water or oil base conditioner. The NTM like melts the tangles and Beemine is a real oily cream and with the coconut oil I thinks help locks in the moisture. I find with the coconut oil it helps to dry the hair faster with the oils.

Since I seen my niece using grease on her hair and it is thriving, I don't see grease harming the hair as long as you clarify it out and start again.

Bublin

there is lots of threads about "petrolateum/grease/vaseline is the bomb"
one of them : http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=34852
I also think that mineral oil is the best moisture blocker/sealant, the 2nd after it is castor oil.

tomorrow i'm gonna buy some vaseline and for all august, use it on my ends for seal moisture ! like a one month personal challenge ^^ :rolleyes

@Bublin how many times in a month do you wash your hair?

I wash once a week. There is of course a build up but nothing excessive or unusual for me most of the Dax sinks into my hair - just at a much slower rate than oils. Oils seem to disappear within a few hours for me.

I'd Just like to add that this method makes your fingers/comb glide through your hair, so for those who try it, will see a dramatic reduction in tangles thus less breakage and ssk's. I'm looking forward to seeing alot more retention.

I also look forward to the feedback and for those who are already doing it - yey for Heavy Sealing :yep:

Bublin

My niece uses grease on her hair, she is BSL, however I am not ready to do that. What I have been doing lately is putting my NTM then Beemine Luscious Leave-in conditioner and coconut oil. I usually try to gauge when my hair needs water or oil base conditioner. The NTM like melts the tangles and Beemine is a real oily cream and with the coconut oil I thinks help locks in the moisture. I find with the coconut oil it helps to dry the hair faster with the oils.

Since I seen my niece using grease on her hair and it is thriving, I don't see grease harming the hair.

I'm glad it's working for your neice.
I think this works very well for those of us who have porous hair.

winona

I heavy seal the last 2inches of my hair with unpetroleum jelly (Beeswax,JBCO,fragrance) in the summer. In the winter I do the whole strand lightly.

MilkChocolateOne

Qhemet biologics amla nourishing pomade is a great alternative to grease for those who want to avoid mineral oil and petroleum. It has the feel and consistency similar to traditional grease.

Krystle~Hime

I wash once a week. There is of course a build up but nothing excessive or unusual for me most of the Dax sinks into my hair - just at a much slower rate than oils. Oils seem to disappear within a few hours for me.

I'd Just like to add that this method makes your fingers/comb glide through your hair, so for those who try it, will see a dramatic reduction in tangles thus less breakage and ssk's. I'm looking forward to seeing alot more retention.

I also look forward to the feedback and for those who are already doing it - yey for Heavy Sealing :yep:

I don't know if I can reply, because I didn't do it for a long time.
but at least i'm gonna share :) !
For june I had cornrows on my hair and I've kept this style for one month. every day, I mean I was very consistent, I moisturize and seal my hair every day before bed. with my homemade water based moisturizer, and seal with a grease.
I haven't washed my hair during the whole month(never had time :( ). when I took out my cornrows I was shocked to not have so much breakage, almost NO breakage. because usually I have breakage naturally, I even made my mind up to think that breakage is a nature part of my african hair so I have to stop crying about it LOL. but when I unravelled my hair, ends was very soft and didn't break off.

ETA : that also means i've retained all my growth of June :spinning:
I think it needs a big place in my regimen :yep:

Last edited:

Bublin

@Bublin does it make hair stick up in the air (straight out) doing this method. Do you lose the flow?

@Bnster Well, i wear my hair braided or pulled back into a bun and I'm styling whilst damp. My hair doesn't have a flow unless it's straightened.

Oh, if you mean when i wear a braid out then no, my hair is soft and hangs down. It doesn't stick out at all.

Last edited:

Bublin

I don't know if I can reply, because I didn't do it for a long time.
but at least i'm gonna share :) !
For june I had cornrows on my hair and I've kept this style for one month. every day, I mean I was very consistent, I moisturize and seal my hair every day before bed. with my homemade water based moisturizer, and seal with a grease.
I haven't washed my hair during the whole month(never had time :( ). when I took out my cornrows I was shocked to not have so much breakage, almost NO breakage. because usually I have breakage naturally, I even made my mind up to think that breakage is a nature part of my african hair so I have to stop crying about it LOL. but when I unravelled my hair, ends was very soft and didn't break off.

ETA : that also means i've retained all my growth of June :spinning:
I think it needs a big place in my regimen :yep:

This is great feedback. Thank you. The reduction in breakage is instant isn't it.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
:yep: grease can be great! There are times when oils alone just don't cut it, that's when I pullout the grease, I mix mine with hemp oil.

Bublin

It acts as a barrier and blocks out moisture from entering the hair shaft. It's also said to be bad for hair because it attracts dirt to the hair.

I am suggesting using it to lock in the moisture of wet/damp hair along with your leave-in products. The lock should last for a good fews days or at least longer than using oils. It seals and smooths your ends better tha oil and gives great slip whilst you are styling your hair.

Since i wash my hair at least once a week i do not have dirty hair.

Natural butters do not work for me at all and leave my hair feeling very dry - i think petroleum works well for those with porous hair.

Last edited:

choconillaprincess

Doesn't this method leave your hair greasy? I have always shied away from grease because every experience has left me with stiff greasy dirty looking hair, oily skin and hands, and breakouts... Maybe I misused it or chose one that was too heavy or what may have you... op and those who use this technique how do you combat the greasiness(word?) problem?

Bublin

Doesn't this method leave your hair greasy? I have always shied away from grease because every experience has left me with stiff greasy dirty looking hair, oily skin and hands, and breakouts... Maybe I misused it or chose one that was too heavy or what may have you... op and those who use this technique how do you combat the greasiness(word?) problem?

In a word yes, my hair is a little greasy but more importantly for me it is moisturised and smooth. I'd rather that than have dry breaking off hair.

As i am really going hard with the protective styling having 'greasy' hair on my face or neck is not an issue or a problem. I do not have hard hair at all, its soft and bouncy since using this method.

What is your hair type? Your hair looks like a 3b or c in your pic so i would imagine using a pomade would feel 'really' greasy. There are so many pomade/greases to choose from so maybe try a different one or it may not be for you.

Krystle~Hime

have you moisturized your hair first ?

AuNaturalMaMa

I just saw this thread but all this week I have been bunning just cause I've been so lazy with my hair and guess what I'm using?? GREASE!! It's and old jar I just happened to find when uncluttering my cabinets. It's so great!! If I was wearing my hair down I probably wouldnt use it cause just a tiny bit on my face breaks me out. But for my bun and sealing these ends up real good, I love it. I usually use castor oil but I wanted to use up the grease and plus the grease smells way better than castor oil.