Relaxed Ladies with Thick Hair - What's your Secret???

sunnieb

For the sake of this thread, I want to hear from fully relaxed ladies.

Relaxed ladies who don't have thin, limp, see-through hair - what's your secret??? :grin:

Before you began your HHJ, what did your hair look like?

What do you think contributed to your thick hair?

Any other tips/tricks/techniques you can think of?

Finally, PICS! Come on ladies, show of those pics of your thick relaxed hair!! Doesn't matter if you're EL, WL, or anywhere in between.

sunnieb

I'll start:

Before you began your HHJ, what did your hair look like? My hair broke off if I looked at it too hard! :lol: I had hair, but it was dry. When I'd go to the salon, my hair would get over-processed and slicked down. I looked like a wet seal. :(

What do you think contributed to your thick hair? Finding LHCF, stretching relaxers, giving up direct heat, airdrying, regular trims, firing my stylist and becoming a total DIYer.

Any other tips/tricks/techniques you can think of? Scarf method is the best! Also, I can't get lazy with my hair. I have to stay on top of my hair game at all times. My hair suffered last fall because of my laziness.

Finally, PICS! Come on ladies, show of those pics of your thick relaxed hair!! Doesn't matter if you're EL, WL, or anywhere in between.

Here ya go:

Banana Clip Ponytails

Braidout:

Buns:

kittikat24

This was my hair when I first started on this journey..Aug. 2006
~

Here's a pic of my hair Dec. 2008..I was relaxed and my hair was relatively thick :yep:
~
What helped IMO:
1)Less Heat..I dramatically reduced the amount of heat on my hair, and began joining challenges:yep: I DC'd alot more.
2) Castor Oil...this was my favorite for my ends!! (still love it!):grin:
3) Stretching touch-ups...I learned this early on and I'm thankful for it! I usually stretched 3-4 months, then gradually increased it.
4) Protective styles--My hair was always up, and is still a habit now!:rolleyes:

I relaxed until Feb. 2009, that was my last touch up...since then I've transitioned to Natural. BUT I :love3:loved my hair when it was relaxed..no negatives:look: Once I learned how to grow relaxed hair, I thought I'd give natural a try!:yep:

sunnieb

^^^How could I forget about Castor Oil and Protective Styling???? These are absolute 'musts' in my regimen!

Toy

oldPicture002-vi.jpg

Moisturizing,Co washes,Protective Styling.

The 3 listed above has helped me

Finally, PICS! Come on ladies, show of those pics of your thick relaxed hair!! Doesn't matter if you're EL, WL, or anywhere in between.[/QUOTE]

pics 82510 010.jpg

EbonyCPrincess

OH-MY-GOOOOOOOODNESS Sunnie! LOVE your hair, love your answers, love this thread! :grin:

Thick, SL hair (attached pic)

Genetics, not overlapping relaxers, limiting direct heat use. I believed this before my HHJ.

When I really want to "thicken" up my hair I stretch my relaxers. Also, not relaxing bone straight. I'm actually relaxed pretty straight right now...no-lye get it BONE-laxed! :lachen: Also airdrying helps the hair to appear thicker.

Pitchaaaasssssssssssssssssssss!!!

Attachments

• DSC00259_edited.JPG
    DSC00259_edited.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 265

NYAmicas

Seeker
Nice hair pics OP, I shall put some up tomorrow because I'm feeling too lazy right about now.

Relaxed ladies who don't have thin, limp, see-through hair - what's your secret???
Family tree, lol.
Thin, a bit below SL but very very dry and damaged.
Genetics, my hair has always been very thick.
I actually came in here for tips. I read a lot of posts here and honestly think that the thickness of my hair is causing major upkeep problems. Washing, drying, styling, flat ironing......it all takes far too long to do. If I dont have the time or products I have to pray I dont look a hot mess because of my hair.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Relaxed ladies who don't have thin, limp, see-through hair - what's your secret???

In in 2007 I was pregnant and cut my hair to about neck length (just barely able to go in a ponytail) for a change. Prior to that it was just about full shoulder length. I've always had fine strands but I would wash weekly blow dry and flat iron and there was hair all over my home, like everywhere - even in meals that I cooked:perplexed. My hair was very dry and was dull looking. Before starting my journey in June 2010 I had has several trims because I always had lots of split ends. The only reason I wasn't bald was because I would go to places like supercuts and walmart for my trims where they don't cut inches and inches off:yep:

Increase in moisture as I now deep condition weekly, co wash weekly (off and on) and the key I think for me has been the reduction of heat. I will still flat iron about twice a month but on the lowest heat. I air dry majority of the time - once I figured out how to air dry properly thickness came rather quick....shhh don't tell anyone but I wasn't sure I wanted thickness (the fine limp hair blew in the wind:giggle:)

-handling your hair like fine silk really helps in preserving your hair
-start with the ends in mind, moisturize, seal, condition the ends first
-ACV rinses/Aloe Vera - PH levels are very important
-wheat germ oil
-tying your hair up at night
-finger detangling (new to me) start with finger detangling
-low manipulation style

I don't have the length the other ladies do but I've retained every inch (except those trimmed off) so I'm on the right path:grin:

HHJ 1 Year.jpg 1 year

HHJ Day 6.jpg Start

hhj 7 months.jpg 7 mths air drying

hhj 3 months.jpg 3 month

everyday low man style.jpg early low man style (note the short hairs in the kitchen:nono:)

Sorry about the order...

great thread sunnieb:grin::yep:

Last edited:

SuchaLady

CASTOR OIL! My mama would buy some good ole dax grease and castor oil and mix those suckers together and that was it.

It was very thick and long. Actually my hair from 2 or 3 years ago looks better than my hair does now Crazy I know. But hey it is what it is.

NO DIRECT HEAT! I did not get my hair flatironed until I was 17 years old (now 20) I was just telling my mom and sister I wish I had never gotten it done at all

Your Cheeziness

My hair was a HAM because I was deployed and had no idea how to take care of it. I overprocessed it with relaxers, used high heat just about everyday, and didn't know what a deep conditioner was.

Enough was enough.

I was able to quickly rebound thanks for the Aphogee line and regular deep conditioning. I say in less than a month, my chronic breakage and dry scalp stopped. I credit that to the reconstructor.

I went through many phases, haircuts, trims, and bandwagons but still made steady progress.

April 2009

I got on cruise control (but still a PJ) with washing, DC and rollersetting.

March 2010 (I was transitioning with the BKT)

I bc'd and spent 10 months natural.

I relaxed in April 2011 - well texlaxed because my stylist couldn't straighten me out in time with Mizani BB.

My hair is in excellent condition. My regimen is uber simple and my hair is very happy. I have virtually no breakage, my ends are in excellent condition, I use heat frequently about weekly), and shedding is not noticeable. Now, I'm just enjoying my hair and growing it out.

My regimen link is in my siggy.

Bnster

Relaxed ladies who don't have thin, limp, see-through hair - what's your secret??? :grin:

Taking care of my hair by doing my own washes on a regular basis - weekly.

Prepooing with oils or conditioners, *protein treatment*, DC with oil & ceramides with heat, *Porosity Control & ACV rinses*.

Coated my hair with conditioner (rinse out and leave ins) and oil by layers, making sure the hair is evenly coated hence moisturized.

Upped my moisturize levels and sealing the hair - twice daily. Bagging my ends at night, Silk scarf and satin pillow cases.

I think the fullness came when I concentrated fixing my problem spot - the broken area at the back of my head. Constant care of moisturizing and time to allow it to grow back. My hair is fine but now I have body as well as length.

I only flat iron on the 2nd lowest level, in doing so the hair isn't limp and there is body.

Detangle your hair with NTM (conditioner) or Aloe Vera Juice and oil prior to washing and washing in braids. Use a shower comb in the shower to prevent breakage.

Also to grow back my nape which is a work in process, I have stopped relaxing that area.

I have started doing my own relaxer so I hope that helps as well to control how much time I allow for relaxing.

For me my hair took a turn around when I started taking care of it.

PIC:

This pic is from Apr 2011. End of this year I will cut it back to top of bra strap for evenness.

Crystalicequeen123

I think what REALLY helped me when I was relaxed was STRETCHING my relaxers, and NOT overlapping. :nono:

I used to stretch and try to go at least 12 weeks post every touchup. 10 weeks post the minimum. When I did that, my hair started thickening up. When I REALLY saw improvement it was when I not only stretched my relaxers, but also started using a MILD relaxer instead of a regular strength. That did WONDERS for my hair. My hair thrived and grew to be the longest it had ever been. :yep:

I used to beat myself up badly for having "fine" textured hair when I was relaxed. :nono: Now that I'm natural, my hair is still "fine" textured I guess, but it's sooo much thicker than when I had the relaxer in my hair. I had to realize that sometimes there aren't any real "secrets" to "thick relaxed hair". Sometimes, a person just has naturally THICK hair and so when they relax their hair, they're hair has the tendency to remain thick!

My hair on the other hand was just simply fine-textured. It wasn't damaged, or anything...just fine and low density. There weren't any real secrets. :sekret: I got tired of trying to search for the "magic formula" to thick relaxed hair and just ended up transitioning to go natural. That was when I realized that perhaps relaxing for as long as I did (17+ years) was NOT beneficial for my hair in the long run, and that no matter what state my hair was in, it was going to be "fine"-textured. My hair is just simply thicker now. It's still fine, it's just thicker w/out the chemical. :yep:

mzbrown

I've always had thick hair (mom says I get it from my dad). Before finding LHCF my family had me convinced it was a curse. Stylist used to tell me how thick it was like it was a curse ( I even had a stylist use thinning shears to thin my hair when I was 17). I can't wait to get my hair super healthy so I can show off my thickness like the rest of you ladies. Great thread!

browniemiss

My hair is pretty thick, but I dont have any secrets. lol. I think it is just naturally thick. I will say that I relax approximately every 12 weeks. I have stretched longer than that. I dont use much heat. I dont have an exact regimen though. I really need to work on one. :look:

Last edited:

MariposaSexyGirl

My hair looked good. It was thick and healthy. I use to wear it in a shoulder length bob type hairstyle then I decided to grow it out when I reached apl.

I stretch my relaxers and I'm careful when detangling.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. pay attention to your moisture and protein balance? Because to much of either could lead to breakage. And make sure you get enough protein in your diet because that is what hair is made up of.

The first pic is of my hair about 2 months ago and the last is one taken recently. I will be maintaining at HL for a thicker hemline.

Attachments

• My Albums 2587.jpg
    My Albums 2587.jpg
    414.5 KB · Views: 389
  • FOTM1.jpg
    FOTM1.jpg
    427.9 KB · Views: 391

MsKdBee

Hello Ladies,

I am more of a lurker and rarely post but I thought this thread was great!!!

what's your secret???

Genetics.....lol I have super coarse thick resiliant hair so throughout my hair journey it has remained thick no matter what craziness I have put it through...lol.( i have always been relaxed)

It was damaged and dry and a little past neck length(it was cut in a bob at the time)

Deep Conditioning and learning my hair......(My hair cannot tolerate a lot of protein....setback city:nono:....it turns into straw and snaps off no matter what dc i follow the treatment with....so I only use it with every touch up now

Drink lots of water, take your vitamins, scalp massages are wonderful for circulation, baby your ends, and remember that the health of the hair is always going to be more important than the length or thickness....:yep:

nyreeroberts1

My hair has always been thick, but always somewhere around shoulder length as well.

Relaxer Stretching is number 1 on my list. In college, I used to relax every 4 weeks, now its every 4 months.

Moisturizing my ends daily, daily co-washing in the last month of my relaxer stretch, limiting direct heat (roller sets or braid outs)

2005 Sorry this is the only one I have with shorter hair

browniemiss

Hello Ladies,

I am more of a lurker and rarely post but I thought this thread was great!!!

LOL!! Me, too. I usually post on non-hair related stuff. However, this thread was great! It's also great to learn what you other ladies are doing!! Great tips and GORGEOUS hair all up in this thread!! :drool:

MissMusic

I was a thick haired natural before my hair journey. I kept my hair short because long thick, type 4 natural hair was too much of a hassle. Sometime after beginning my hair journey to grow long hair, I relaxed.

Mostly Genetics and then just ensuring that I keep a consistent low manipulation regimen.

Just find what your hair truly loves and stick to it. I find that having good detangling products and practices is key in making sure you strands do not thin out.

PICS:
My natural hair at its longest (I never let it get past APL):

Relaxed Hair:
My 2 favorite pics:

I had to cut my hair shortly after that last pic, this is what my hair currently looks like:

kismettt

i just have really thick hair. when i relax, i tell the stylist not to relax "bone straight", but tbh, it has never made a difference. i've heard all my life "ooh you have a lot of hair".

when i was in hs, i started doing my hair everyday with a curling iron & it was still thick, it was just split/dry/gross.

ETA: I had the best hair when i was in early hs, because i literally didn't do a damn thing to it...EVER. i'd get it done every 2 weeks in middle school and didn't touch it after. freshman year, my mom stopped taking me to the salon as often so i just didn't do anything to it. even wash it. :look: :nono: no products, no heat, i'd comb through it, that's it. outside of the grossness factor... lol.

and now i just wash with wen or sulfate free shampoo. use mizani headdress and seal with oil. i do the occasional protein/moisture treatment every 3-6 months. i air dry or sit under my hooded dryer. sometimes i'll blow it out. sometimes i'll flat iron. i work out almost daily so i don't really do anything to my hair unless i'm going out or need a touch up.

ETA: braidout on relaxed hair a couple years ago

Last edited:

Your Cheeziness

i just have really thick hair. when i relax, i tell the stylist not to relax "bone straight", but tbh, it has never made a difference. i've heard all my life "ooh you have a lot of hair".

when i was in hs, i started doing my hair everyday with a curling iron & it was still thick, it was just split/dry/gross.

ETA: I had the best hair when i was in early hs, because i literally didn't do a damn thing to it...EVER. i'd get it done every 2 weeks in middle school and didn't touch it after. freshman year, my mom stopped taking me to the salon as often so i just didn't do anything to it. even wash it. :look: :nono: no products, no heat, i'd comb through it, that's it. outside of the grossness factor... lol.

and now i just wash with wen or sulfate free shampoo. use mizani headdress and seal with oil. i do the occasional protein/moisture treatment every 3-6 months. i air dry or sit under my hooded dryer. sometimes i'll blow it out. sometimes i'll flat iron. i work out almost daily so i don't really do anything to my hair unless i'm going out or need a touch up.

:lick::lick::lick: @ YOUR HAIR!