Tamera Mowry talks about her natural hair in new interview!

Zuleika

-
Staff member
Sorry if this has already been posted....

Tamera Mowry- Natural Hair Celebrity Interview | Curly Nikki | Natural Hair Styles and Curly Hair Care

Tamera's curls- Summer 2011

If you were a child in the 90's, you probably watched Sister, Sister, and you probably wanted one of three things: a twin sister, a huge hat with a flower pinned to it, or bouncy curly hair.

About two weeks ago I was excited to see Tamera Mowry's #naturalhair tweets and pics. I managed to catch up with her and get her to spill the deets! Can I just say... she is absolutely amazing. A genuine person with a beautiful soul. I'm proud to know her!

On her hair then...

I was born with very, very curly hair. And as a kid I didn't know any different. I was just like, okay, this is my hair. I never noticed that other girls had straight or wavy hair, it was just my hair and I liked it.

My mother did our hair until we hit junior high, and it was always so pretty and smooth. She'd comb it and put it in braids every night, and finally, when at 13, she was like, 'girls, I'm done, you need to learn how to do your own hair'. So that's when I realized how difficult naturally curly hair could be... getting that balance right is tricky! You can either put too much product in it and weigh it down, or too little and end up with dry hair, and we all know that curly hair needs moisture. It took me a very long time to figure it all out... I'm still trying to figure it all out! But I basically had a pretty solid routine by the time I got to college.

naturally curly on Sister, Sister

On the Sister, Sister days...

While filming Sister, Sister- which stretched from my high school years through college- we were both completely natural. And then came The Phase. Curly hair was associated with 'cuteness', while straight, sleek hair was seen as sexy and chic. We bought into this, and started getting blow outs every two weeks. This damaged my hair. Bad. It's so weird, when I look back on that time and that transition, all I can think is that I should've left my hair alone. In the process of straightening it, coloring it, manipulating it... I damaged my curls so bad and now more than anything, all I want is my healthy hair back. I want to be bohemian chic [laughter]. I think naturally curly hair is different... it's so unique and beautiful in a world where straight hair is king. I really think it helps us stand out.

blowout on Sister, Sister

natural hair in 2006

On her hair now...

So blowouts were the staple until 3 years ago when we decided to start wearing weaves to protect our hair from the demands of work. We were doing a lot of filming and weave just made sense. I recently took the weave out and got color and a Brazilian Blowout. The BKT was the biggest mistake of my life. I know there are some girls who love it and tout it as 'life changing', but it did absolutely nothing for me. My hair fell out and I've basically had to start all over again. It thinned out really bad. That, plus the color... complete disaster. I'm currently transitioning and in the process of completely growing my hair back out. I'll rock the occasional clip-on if I want some versatility, but I'm really pushing toward totally healthy, natural curls.

Tamera's curls 2 weeks ago!

On her staple products...

I love Terax Creama Hair Conditioner and the entire Komenuk Bijin
line. These are all sulfate and paraben free products that are helping me pamper my curls.

On her natural hair routine...

I wash my hair with the Komenuk shampoo, condition with the Terax and then rake through a little Karite Anti Frizz Therma Active as a leave-in. That's pretty much it. I'm doing my best to baby it so it can grow. My hair was almost down to my butt... it was so long, all natural. No extensions, no nothing. You know we get sucked in to what is sexy, what is hot and in the process, we ruin our hair. I recently found your blog through a twitter post and I must say it is amazing. And with me currently learning about my curls and looking for things to help them grow, this is perfect! So yes, I'll definitely be lurking.

Catch Tamera and her sister Tia on their reality tv series 'Tia and Tamera, Take 2' on Style Network, August 10th!

nappystorm

*Run and skids in face first*

ETA: I loved their hair during the h.s. and college years of SS. I did notice that in the last season, they both had cut a few inches off.

Last edited:

JJamiah

I love them and their little brother too how beautiful they all were and grew up to be :)

GO HOME ROGER LOL

lolascurls

lol! I still follow Tia's twitter because it takes me back :lol:
I loved that they had that big curly hair but I also noticed the trend towards blow-outs at the end of the show and the shorter hair!
I'm glad she'd going back to her natural curls!

Jewell

Anyone notice her mole is on 1 side in the 1st four pics (on her left), then in the supposed "her curls 2 wks ago" pic, the mole is on her right?

SN; Her hair is gorgeous and I always adored them! I'm glad she's going back to her roots...naturally curly, healthy hair! Beautiful ladies. I have heard of Terax products years ago, but not Komenuk.

Cherokee-n-Black

I'm confused. Her hair was so much curlier on S2S...it was in little spirals, now it's these big loose curls? And her face looks different? What'd she do??? I was expecting to see those same little ringlets when I scrolled down. She looks good, though, very mature, just reeeeallly different! And yes, that mole did change sides! LOL I think maybe one pic was on a computer or phone cam, which reverses everything like a mirror image.

nappystorm

Anyone notice her mole is on 1 side in the 1st four pics (on her left), then in the supposed "her curls 2 wks ago" pic, the mole is on her right?

SN; Her hair is gorgeous and I always adored them! I'm glad she's going back to her roots...naturally curly, healthy hair! Beautiful ladies. I have heard of Terax products years ago, but not Komenuk.
The two week pic is taken with a webcam. You can set those to the realistic image instead of the mirror image or something like that (tech savvy folks help me out).

That's Tamera because they have slightly different facial shapes. Tamera's is more oblong and Tia's is heart shaped.

Jewell

I'm confused. Her hair was so much curlier on S2S...it was in little spirals, now it's these big loose curls? And her face looks different? What'd she do??? I was expecting to see those same little ringlets when I scrolled down. She looks good, though, very mature, just reeeeallly different! And yes, that mole did change sides! LOL I think maybe one pic was on a computer or phone cam, which reverses everything like a mirror image.

She did say she got BKT and now she's "transitioning" and we all know BKT is like a relaxer for curly hair. It really straightens and loosens the curl pattern and can also smooth it out drastically. I would NEVER try BKT. But thanks also for the explanation about the mole cuz we all know twins do switch places and don't tell people! I figured maybe that was Tia and she slapped the mole mark on the wrong side. But Tia is married and we RARELY see her in the media since she got married.

ETA: I can hardly EVER tell em apart anyway, so maybe I havent been paying enuf attention! Oops!:spinning:

Last edited:

Calia001

I figured maybe that was Tia and she slapped the mole mark on the wrong side. But Tia is married and we RARELY see her in the media since she got married.

girl you dont watch "The Game"? i see Tia all the time:lol:

hothair

But thanks also for the explanation about the mole cuz we all know twins do switch places and don't tell people! I figured maybe that was Tia and she slapped the mole mark on the wrong side. But Tia is married and we RARELY see her in the media since she got married.

They're both married.

Cherokee-n-Black

She did say she got BKT and now she's "transitioning" and we all know BKT is like a relaxer for curly hair. It really straightens and loosens the curl pattern and can also smooth it out drastically. I would NEVER try BKT. But thanks also for the explanation about the mole cuz we all know twins do switch places and don't tell people! I figured maybe that was Tia and she slapped the mole mark on the wrong side. But Tia is married and we RARELY see her in the media since she got married.

Ohhh! Oops! Stopped reading too soon. Isn't it a trip that stars with all their money and stylist etc...still struggle with things like "a bad perm?" very nice, candid interview. For some reason BKT has always frightened me. I think black people should generally be afraid of anything coming out of Brazil beauty-wise, because for a country that is majority black, I have never seen any group work so hard not to look like it! Shame! :nono:

Jewell

girl you dont watch "The Game"? i see Tia all the time:lol:

No, I don't hardly watch "The Game" anymore! :drunk: And ^ I was only aware that ONE was married, not both. The mole is still on the wrong side either way! I like them both, I was just confused by the mole, and I can hardly tell them apart! I just remember reading that Tia got married, not Tamera. This was years ago, though. Thanks for updating me! lol

Last edited:

DaiseeDay

I just saw them on Iron Chef America (they were guest judges) last night. I was thinking about how they're so awesome and I just love LOVE their hair. I watched the pilot episode of Take 2 a long time ago and was wondering if there would be anymore - I'll definitely be watching.

Also, this was perfect for me to read today, because I'm getting bored with my hair and was about to schedule a Brazilian Blowout AND color. Nope, I'm OK now: I'm a really impatient person so I have not come almost a year now to have such a bad set back. Maybe I'll get a weave...

BrownSkin2

That's because the picture looks to have been taken in a mirror.

tropical-punch

Does anyone remember when Tia was on Wendy and Wendy was talking about how Tia went from the long hair to short. Tia seemed kind of embarrassed to admit she was wearing weave/wig.

freecurl

I'm more interested in how specifically their mom did their hair back then, during their curly phase. That would be so helpful to me right now.

greenandchic

Is anyone familiar with the products she mentions? I never heard of them.

I used the Terax conditioner when I chronically pressed/flat ironed my hair and though I loved it, the smell was less to be desired as is the price tag. It did save my hair and it seemed to bring it back to life many times.