Great Grandma's Regimen

Glamourstruckk

I've looked at some photos of my great grandmother and MY did she have some long hair. I asked my mom about her regimen and all she could tell me was that she wore her hair in a single braid wrapped around her head (old school PSing).

So, do you know your great grandmother's--or anyone else older's--regimen?

glamazon386

Mine does the same. She braids her hair and pins it and wears a short wig. You'll catch her without her wig if you stop past the house but whenever she's out and about she wears the wig. IDK why she only wears short wigs though. Maybe she's scared to cut her hair? She doesn't like her white hair. When she was younger and her hair was still black, my mom said she always wore in a giant bun on top her head. Her hair is about waist length but has thinned out considerably over the years.

ETA: Idk what products she uses though. The only thing I ever remember seeing was Pantene Pro V shampoo. Her hair is probably a type 2 though so she may not have used grease and other things.

Last edited:

Evolving78

my great grandmother did the same thing. she had very long, wavy hair. should would have it in a bun or in two french braids. her daughters did the same thing. when they got older, they would make two french braids and slap a wig on it. they didn't like being bothered with their hair. my mother on they other hand couldn't keep her hands out of her hair. she was more into styling her hair. she is still like that to this day. she prefers style over length.

JJamiah

I've looked at some photos of my great grandmother and MY did she have some long hair. I asked my mom about her regimen and all she could tell me was that she wore her hair in a single braid wrapped around her head (old school PSing).

So, do you know your great grandmother's--or anyone else older's--regimen?

My grandma on my dads side wore several braids and wrapped them in paper bags rollers.

My abuela wears it up in a ponytail 25/8 LOL

I am wearing my hair like that now. Now I feel Aged you said OLD school Psing LOL. :giggle:
I guess someone has to be LOL

I am actually wearing it like this because you don't have to undo it to go to bed, it doesn't cause so much friction and breakage like when I have it towards the back. Now that I think about it. When I was MBL/WL before in the past, I kept it high up the same so I didn't touch it for 8 days straight. So it was low low maintaining. :)

Renewed1

My grandmother had HL hair. All she did was slap some grease on her scalp and kept her hair in a bun.

The only time she took it down was to wash it or relax her hair.

I keep my regime simple as well, my hair grows better, when I leave it alone.

My Friend

My g-ma would wear her bsl hair in 2 braids or a bun. In hind site, she would put a little grease on her hair after washing to give it a little shine (sealing). For church on Sundays, she would undo that braid and fan it out and wear her "waves" (braid out). Sunday night, wash, little grease for shine on hair, and then she braided it again. :perplexed why am I bald headed ? I should have known this all along :ohwell:

QBOE2001

I remember my great grandmother's hair...I always thought she was my living barbie doll lol. Her hair was hip length and she would always wear it in two braids wrapped around her head like a coronet. Every week she would wash it with ivory bar soap (gag) and oil it with olive oil and braid it back up. If I did some mess like that i'd be bald!!!!!!

Glamourstruckk

Wow, I guess this was THE regimen! lol. Wash with anything, seal with grease, braid it up--one or two--then bun it away. I'm loving the responses!

silenttullip

that's cool...
My grandma had long hair but I never asked what she did
I didn't grow up with her around but now I think I'll ask my
mom.

Leesh

And the award goes to "Protective Stylinggggg!!!"Sounds like PSing wins the trophy! :cup:.
All of the replies "Grammies" all wore PS's. Basically kept it "Absolutely" simple! I don't necessarily think it had anything to do with products, Per Se'! That definatley gives me something to think about. Am I wasting money on all this crap? Hmmmmmmm!!! :blush:

Last edited:

SuchaLady

My granny had the most awesome hair. She greased that sucker with Royal Crown Vaseline and wore her single braid.

Last edited:

skraprchik

Wow the answers are consistent! Well, let me add to the refrain. My grandma had hair between TBL and Classic Length. She washed and put it up in two buns, Princess Leia before there was a Star Wars, lol. Nothing complicated at all! My mom says she wore a wig whenever she had to 'dress up'. She only took it down at night to brush and then back it went.

JJamiah

omg SuchaLady

My dad would do our hair with Royal Crown , mixed with Johnson and Johnson baby oil. That is all he ever used in our hair, Every DAY!

Our hair was long and greasy LOL!

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Grandma wore her wig 24/7. She just had mini braids under it. My great aunt and my cousins had super long hair that they wore in french braids. Those are some protective styles that I'm going to learn how to do.

youwillrise

i mentioned about visiting my grandmother yesterday and seeing her with MBL hair (she always had long hair, but for the past few years she kept it at around APL)...it was the first time in a while i'd seen her hair that long. in fact, it was longer than it was before she started cutting it.

my grandmother's own regimen is simple. she washes it. she uses grease and combs/brushes it. throws it in a ponytail (sometimes down, sometimes with the ends up). puts a curler in or uses bobby pins to curl her bangs and she's done. my cousin, who is a cosmetologist does her relaxers for her.

my grandmother had always told me that her mother would wear her hair in the same style your great grandmother did. big braid wrapped around her head. she told me that her mother's hair was quite long (to her butt), but she ended up cutting it when she got older because it gave her headaches.

ThickHair

My nana had almost waist length hair. She washed her hair with Palmolive dishwashing liquid, no conditioner rubbed a little castor oil through her hair. She was another one who wore a single plait wrapped around her head. She had 4 a\b hair.

skraprchik

hahaha alright...who's gonna start the "grandma growth challenge?"

: P

I know, right! I've already figured out that once I have enough length I'll be working the buns hard. It's really just like many of the people on this board who have reached long lengths, keep it simple and you can't go wrong. I think the thing that many people miss is that it's all about patience rather than any particular product.

Leesh

omg @SuchaLady

My dad would do our hair with Royal Crown , mixed with Johnson and Johnson baby oil. That is all he ever used in our hair, Every DAY!

Our hair was long and greasy LOL!

JJamiah, Lemme find out your Dad did your hair, that's whats up! I love to see fathers do things like this with daughters! :yep:

youwillrise

: P

if i had lived with my father, my guess is he would have done my hair by...washing with johnson & johnson baby shampoo and using coconut oil on my hair.

only because that's what he does to his own hair. haha

lady_godiva

My great grandmother's hair went to her knee caps, but she was half white. Other than that, I don't know what her regimen was. I wish I did. I will ask to see if anyone knows.

Jewell

My grandmother has always had at least MBL hair and longer. She is a type 2b/3 it has the slightest wave to it and almost no kink or curl. Typically I noticed she uses the "Silver Lights" shampoo and conditioner to keep her gray hair shiny, also uses a whole lot of Pantene Pro-V shampoo and conditioner, though I'm unsure of the variation. She just pulls hers back into a bun using a brush, a bit of water run over the brush, cheap clear gel (I usually saw a gallon's worth btw her bath and the guest bath), and clips a flower or some other decorative clip on top. Last time I saw her, it was WL. She typically keeps it about WL or so and trims back occasionally to MBL.

At night she just goes to sleep, I dnt remember her braiding, tying it up, or anything. I believe she washes weekly, and has for many years. My great-grandmother (this grandma's mom) also had very long hair (WL to HL). She didn't wash it but once a month and kept it braided in a single braid. Great-grandma passed before I was born, and I'm 27.

**I will be seeing grammy (who will be 68 in Oct, so she is young) next month so I will ask her about her regimen. She always told me "NEVER CUT YOUR HAIR." Now she does trim, but she is talking drastic cuts. I should have listened cuz I would be KL by now! :yep:

Last edited:

Leesh

Oh yes I was raised by my dad and he did our hair every day :) :yep:

Armed with his Goody Brush, Water, Bolitas, Crown mix. LOL he was the man!

@Leesh

@JJamiah, Lol I know that's right! I love it! :yep:
I like when I see a man doing most of what us mothers normally do, like when you see a man pushing his child in a stroller with the diaper bag across his shoulders! I love it!

P.S.-What are Bolitas?

ETA: I just realized you said "Goody" brush. I used to love Goody brushes, that was the only brand brush I would use. Of course, before this thing we call HHJ. They are the hardest brush you can find. That mug scrapes all the way to your scalp. :blush:

Last edited:

JJamiah

@JJamiah, Lol I know that's right! I love it! :yep:
I like when I see a man doing most of what us mothers normally do, like when you see a man pushing his child in a stroller with the diaper bag across his shoulders! I love it!

P.S.-What are Bolitas? Leesh it's those elastic bands with the metal in the middle and the two marbles with holes at the end. LOL

ETA: I just realized you said "Goody" brush. I used to love Goody brushes, that was the only brand brush I would use. Of course, before this thing we call HHJ. They are the hardest brush you can find. That mug scrapes all the way to your scalp. :blush:

I always give the men I see pushing the stroller a thumbs up. :)

Cherokee-n-Black

Wow, I guess this was THE regimen! lol. Wash with anything, seal with grease, braid it up--one or two--then bun it away. I'm loving the responses!

This is so funny. I was just saying on another post how I have no idea (considering all the products I'm buying and styling etc.. for my DD) how my mother grew my hair past my waist using Johnson's Baby Shampoo, baby oil (straight mineral oil+fragrance) and grease--and I wore it in braids all the time!

JJamiah

@JJamiah Wow what a combo! Lol. I bet breakage was rare though! My mama keept me greased up and my ponytails were so long!

@SuchaLady your absolutely right I didn't have breakage issues. I would sneak to the bathroom though yes as young as 8 wash my hair with VO5 shampoo and condition as well. I use to buy it with my allowance LOL :) those were the days :)

My father was a once a month shampooer with us, but whew the sour smell of Crown Royal and Baby Oil with kid sweat :lachen: hey it is what it is and it was what it was. I learned early 8 is not exaggerated to shampoo my head myself. I use to read beauty books back then. I love my dad he did his best :)

Cherokee-n-Black so you were on the same grease and baby oil mix I was on. LOL did you have the goody brush and water duo too!