Lets talk shampoo

transitioning?

Ladies

What are your favorite shampoos and why? Smell, ingredients,lather,cleaning power,etc

Other than being sls free I have no idea what makes a good shampoo.

TIA

Sent from my PC36100 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Jas123

The Star of a Story
Everyday Shea Moisturizing Shampoo... all natural, no sls and smells nice

eta: you get 32oz for $9.99 so it's economical too

Last edited:

Aireen

Motions Neutralizing Shampoo. Aussie Moist Shampoo is pretty good too but my favourite is the former.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
Hairveda amla cream rinse

No sls. Or Parabens.

Doesn't strip my hair.

Leaves hair and scalp clean.

Leaves my hair light and fluffy. No residue.

maxineshaw

Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo.

It's the best shampoo I've ever used. It leaves my hair feeling baby soft while cleaning my scalp well. There is no stripping effect. For those who care, it does not contain petroleum/mienral oil, cones, or SLS of any kind.

kiesha8185

Motions Lavish Conditioning Shampoo is still the best shampoo I've used in my hair. It leaves my hair as soft, detangled, and conditioned as conditioner. It cleans my hair and scalp without making it feel stripped. And it smells good.

Second best is ApHogee's Shampoo for Damaged Hair. It does what Motion's shampoo does, but not as well.

KhandiB

This is my favorite too!

It's the best shampoo I've ever used. It leaves my hair feeling baby soft while cleaning my scalp well. There is no stripping effect. For those who care, it does not contain petroleum/mienral oil, cones, or SLS of any kind.

Nonie

I'm not obsessed with using only non-SLS shampoo. I will use a shampoo:
  • if it says it's for dry hair (which I interpret to mean it will not be drying)--like I use Nexxus Therappe after Emergencée because it's recommended on Emergencée and it's moisturizing which can never hurt to follow a protein treatment;
  • if it has strengthening properties (for those times when I feel I've gone too long w/o using a reconstructor, or if I just have't had time to DC but don't want to miss out on strengthening my hair--Garnier Fructis would fall in this group;
  • if it's a both moisturizing and is gel-like not creamy--like Trader Joe's Nourish Spa or Giovanni 50:50 (because I find creamy shampoos seem to coat hair which isn't a bad thing, but I use shampoo mainly to clean my scalp before even worrying about my hair...and don't like a coated feeling on my scalp, so gel/clear shampoos are more my cup of tea because they leave my scalp feeling cleaner--or it could be all in the mind :spinning: . When I use Therappe, I use it only on my hair and only after Emergencée. I use the gel-like shampoos all the other times.

maxineshaw

Motions Lavish Conditioning Shampoo is still the best shampoo I've used in my hair. It leaves my hair as soft, detangled, and conditioned as conditioner. It cleans my hair and scalp without making it feel stripped. And it smells good.

Second best is ApHogee's Shampoo for Damaged Hair. It does what Motion's shampoo does, but not as well.

I second the Motions Lavish Conditioning Shampoo. I just haven't used it in a while. I also highly recommend their Neutralizing Shampoo.

The Aphogee is good for hard water environments.

Roux

I tried this after I ran out of CON a couple years ago and I loved the results but mine smelled like beer. IDK if I had an old bottle or not is the scent usually like that?

cheryl26

I use organix sometimes. It lathers well and leaves my hair feeling very clean. Sometimes I use L'oreal kids shampoos too just b/c they smell so good! I wanna eat them:lol:

darlingdiva

My favorite shampoos are Earthly Delight Herbal Shampoo, Kenra Clarifying Shampoo, and the KBB Juicy Shampoo bar.

I'm not really fanatical about smell, but they all smell fine to me.

I'm just a fan of herbal shampoos in general, so that's why I like the Earthly Delight Herbal Shampoo.

I like the Kenra Shampoo because it gets the job done without stripping my hair.

I like the KBB Juicy Shampoo bar because it has basically no fragrance (that's very important to me when it comes to soaps because I have sensitive skin) and it's moisturizing.

I don't really care about sulfates, except for when it comes to moisturizing shampoos. I prefer for my moisturizing shampoos and shampoo bars not to have sulfates.

kaytorry

My favorite is moisture benefits by Elucence! It smells like peaches, leaves my hair soft (including my new growth) . A shampoo that can be used from a fresh perm to new growth earns an A+ in my book!

babyu21

I really wanted to find a great Sulfate free shampoo but they are all drying, and trust me I have tried quite a few. Now I am going to just go back to using what works regardless of if it has sulfates. I really like the Motions Conditioning Shampoo it gets the job done at a good price.

If they ever bring back the old version of the CON with the green label I would go back to that because that was fantastic. The company is supposed to be coming out with a new Argan Oil Shampoo, I will wait for reviews before I run out and purchase it.

Rae81

Shea moisture shampoo sure is favorite. Pure awesomeness

Sent from my HERO200 using Long Hair Care Forum App

kiesha8185

Both you and Aireen mentioned this shampoo. I'm going to try it out. Thanks!

I second the Motions Lavish Conditioning Shampoo. I just haven't used it in a while. I also highly recommend their Neutralizing Shampoo.

The Aphogee is good for hard water environments.

AlliCat

- Creme of Nature (original formula if u can find it)
- Only n Only Argan Oil Moisture Repair Shampoo (phosphate, paraben and sulfate free)
- Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo was great too...it doesn't lather as well (and smell as good) as the One n Only though

babyu21

Nonie yes, even the nourish spa one was drying IMO

I currently have a bottle that is going back once I get a chance to go back out there. If it ain't broke, don't fix it is my new motto and there was nothing wrong with the sulfate shampoo I was using before. Besides the main component to great hair is the conditioner.

I am going to stick with the Motions Shampoo and focus all my PJ ways on conditioner. #nuffsaid

transitioning?

This sounds promising. How much is it?

transitioning?

So can we agree that a good shampoo
1.leaves scalp clean
2.does not leave hair dry/stripped
3.does not coat hair (Nonie)
4.smells good(for some)
5.sls free (for some)
6.paraben free (for some)

Did I get all the criteria of a good shampoo?

Let me know of I missed any.

naturalTAN

Hairveda amla cream rinse

No sls. Or Parabens.

Doesn't strip my hair.

Leaves hair and scalp clean.

Leaves my hair light and fluffy. No residue.

All of this plus a great scent for Aussie Moist Shampoo. :grin: I feel the same about Suave's 2n1 poo but I only use that when I haven't used a lot of products during the week.

Nonie

@Nonie Trader Joe's shampoos act like clarifying shampoos for my hair except even my real clarifier doesn't leave my hair stripped.

@naturalTAN, @babyu21 Wow, you guys really have an aversion to shampoos! I use both SLS and non-SLS and I use them at least twice a week, sometimes two times in a wash (like before and after Emergencée) and I DO NOT USE any leave-in products on my hair that would need to be "clarified" so I'm usually basically washing bare hair frequently with shampoo, and yet I do not find the shampoos I mentioned drying at all. And I have the driest of all hair types: 4B!!! Weird!

Last edited:

transitioning?

Aussie Moist is sls free? Interesting I love the conditioner from that line

ajenee

I agree keracare hydrating sulfate free is the most moisturizing and def helps with detangling.its my one staple product

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Long Hair Care Forum App