Naturals.. Products that WEIGH DOWN your hair… ADVICE pls..

Lebiya

And KEEPS it down.

Has anyone had the wash 'n' wear done by Jazma?

I really liked the way my hair hung and moved the after the wash 'n' wear the ONLY thing I didn’t like was how sticky my hair was. I think the product is naturally sticky regardless of how much or little is used. The product made my hair stay ‘wet’ and weighed it down, it was VERY thick.

Does anyone know of another product that would give me the same/similar results?

Although my hair was texturized it still looks and feels natural. I just want to find a product that will make it stay down and give it the movement that it had after jazma. I Kinda like when you drench your hair in conditioner – I like the way my hair moves/ behaves until I wash it out.

PPGbubbles

I just googled the Jazma... it says that this is a "wash and wear relaxer" are you referring to the process or is it a single product? I am curious I have never heard of jazma before

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
When I was texturized, Kinky Curl custard worked even better for me. I needed less product to style my hair and did not need to have soaking wet hair for maximum wash n gos.

Lebiya

I just googled the Jazma... it says that this is a "wash and wear relaxer" are you referring to the process or is it a single product? I am curious I have never heard of jazma before

Yes, I should have clarified, after the relaxer they applied products to my hair which weighed it down and made it sticky and slightly curly. I did not like the sticky feeling and the products stayed greasy/messy to touch.
I guess I’d just like to find a product that will weigh down my hair and have it stay down– kinda like when conditioner is applied to my hair.

Lebiya

When I was texturized, Kinky Curl custard worked even better for me. I needed less product to style my hair and did not need to have soaking wet hair for maximum wash n gos.

Did the kinky curl weigh your hair down and Stay down?

naturalTAN

Why not just use regular conditioner?

Most Tresemme conditioners weigh my hair down the way I like, but my favorite is the Smooth n Silky for Dry or Damaged Hair. I load my hair with it, while being careful to avoid putting it directly on my scalp, and shake my hair all over. If it's too much, I'll just keep adding water until it feels right. I can air-dry or diffuse afterwards because the whiteness disappears pretty quickly.

Lebiya

Why not just use regular conditioner?

Most Tresemme conditioners weigh my hair down the way I like, but my favorite is the Smooth n Silky for Dry or Damaged Hair. I load my hair with it, while being careful to avoid putting it directly on my scalp, and shake my hair all over. If it's too much, I'll just keep adding water until it feels right. I can air-dry or diffuse afterwards because the whiteness disappears pretty quickly.

hmmm...Good idea but wont it get puffy again once its dry..I like the way my hair behaves when conditioner is applied to it but I wonder what happens when it dries? does it stay down or the same when its dry?

naturalTAN

hmmm...Good idea but wont it get puffy again once its dry..I like the way my hair behaves when conditioner is applied to it but I wonder what happens when it dries? does it stay down or the same when its dry?

For me, it stays the same as when wet just shrinks some so I'll diffuse/stretch it if I want more length. The Tresemme cons are the heaviest product that I can leave in. Anything lighter is like using nothing at all and anything heavier makes my hair clump in big awkward sections.

cmw45

Shea butter works really really well for me as long as I don't use too much. I noticed that my hair has better movement and feels better when I use less product. I think sometimes it's not about the product that we are using but about using the product correctly.

Curlykale

I love my hair weighed down so this is what I do

1)Avoid in leave ins and styling products, things with humectants and humectant ingredients such as aloe vera juice and gel, agave, glycerin, honey, glycols, panthenol.Humectants are good for many people but they bring the water from the air into your hair in a way that can make it big and the opposite of weighed down. EDIT: I dont know if this applies to gels as well as they have other ingredients that help elongation.

2)Look for thick conditioners that have a lot of cetyl alcohol or those who have it among the first ingredients, such as tresemme, knot today, aussie moist, giovanni, darcys botanicals pumpkin seed or coconut lemongrass transitioning creme.
I can tell when I use cetyl alcohol because it encourages clumping, hanging and softness in a non greasy way and I find it really quenching, and it is what makes many conditioners thick and creamy. It is derived from coconut or palm oil, so it can only be good.

3)stretching the hair: I leave these conditioners on the length only, drenched, and braid for a while when air drying. The conditioners disappears, my hair is shiny and I undo the about 6 braids and shake. How many braids will depend on your length. You can also diffuse the braids, or apply the conditioner and braid on towel dried hair using a Tshirt as a turban for 10 minutes. This will cut your air drying time.

4)Hydrogenated oils, such as avocado butter to seal, have a nice anti humectant action as well. I find these good to seal, on wet hair, on top of the conditioner. This point is less important than the other 3, though.

Last edited:

~~HoneyComb~~

I'm finding that Ecostyler gel (olive oil) is giving me great stretch and really weighs my hair down which I love. Using this the past couple of days has allowed me to get my twists for my twistout past my shoulders and almost APL, normally my hair shrinks to shoulder length.

By itself it's a little crunchy for my taste, so I pair it with a more moisturizing gel.

Chameleonchick

I have tried everything exept ciccina's recommendation (I have used those items just not in that order) to weigh down my hair and nothing has worked for me. It just shrinks right back down and I can hardly ever show some length. I will try that reggie soon.

Curlykale

I have tried everything exept ciccina's recommendation (I have used those items just not in that order) to weigh down my hair and nothing has worked for me. It just shrinks right back down and I can hardly ever show some length. I will try that reggie soon.

I hope it works for you! another thing that helps with shrinkage is banding my braids overnight, or styling on dry hair reapplying the conditioner and wet hands the day after my wash day. There is something about applying products to almost dry hair that helps with elongation. This is also another reason why I leave my hair in a tshirt for 10 minutes before styling when I wash my hair.

I promise this is all, I talk a lot but it is really about this couple of things :lol:

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Did the kinky curl weigh your hair down and Stay down?

Yes, my hair stayed weighed down and was very defined. I used regular S curl texturizer on my hair and my hair thrived because I had no single strand knots. If I ever go back to chemical, that is what I will do. I did not know how to retouch my hair properly and so I ended my texturized journey. :nono: I wish I knew more about texturizers back then.

Lebiya

bump...ok so bought the miss jessies silkening creme and curly pudding...it has done nothing. I think I may just try Tresemme conditioners - drench my hair and see how it goes.

empressri

I know what you mean. Try using stuff that's thick and rich...if it weighs your hair down when it's in, leave that in. Although if your hair is like mine it's going to expand no matter what unless you just ply it with a ton of gel.

Lebiya

I know what you mean. Try using stuff that's thick and rich...if it weighs your hair down when it's in, leave that in. Although if your hair is like mine it's going to expand no matter what unless you just ply it with a ton of gel.

Yes I think Im going to have to just deal with the expansion - I dont think I will be able to find anything that will mimic the style I got from the salon...my hair looked fine execpt for the sticky residue

Vashti

What weighed my hair down was ORS Olive Oil Hair Lotion and Scurl. Unfortunately, over the course of the week I had a lot of sticky residue and buildup in my hair when using them. Maybe if you just used one or the other instead of both like I did it might work?

Lebiya

What weighed my hair down was ORS Olive Oil Hair Lotion and Scurl. Unfortunately, over the course of the week I had a lot of sticky residue and buildup in my hair when using them. Maybe if you just used one or the other instead of both like I did it might work?

Thank you! I was actually just thinking about using ORS the other day for this..I love how it weighs my hair down when I have it in...I usually wash it out though. I hope it stays that way when it dries