Growing out the One Side Shaved Cut

MsLizziA

If you remember the post that i did awhile back with the seneglese twists and if you don't remember it, here is the post http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=482526 .

Well at the time she was transitiiong.. after a 5 month stretch, she gave in and permed it. ... then she moved to texas and cut it like that ^^^^^^ .... now she is back down here askn me for help cuz she wants to go natural again but she has this stupid hair cut :perplexed

Anyway, i have the only flat iron in the house aaaannnnddd i refuse to let her use it. :look: So she is being forced to find other ways to do her hair.

What i am trying to figure out tho is if i should wait till that side grows all the way out then cut all of it off, or cut it now while its all low.

I never had to help anyway grow this hair cut out tho ... so idk

MsLizziA

@Conterria on a side not WWWOOOAAHHHHHH love your bun!

Oh and.. she talkin bout she dont wanna walk around **********.... but she wanna get it cut really short O_O ...da hell?

Last edited:

CrownCola

I wouldn't think it would take long (1 inch?) to be able to catch it for some braid or twist extensions. That's all I got.
Lmao @ you trying to help her while refusing to let her use your flat iron.
(I don't blame you though...)

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

Your Cheeziness

As it grows out, keep the top cut short until it catches up. Or let it grow out another inch or so and go to a pixie cut a la Monica.

iri9109

my sister has a mohawk and she's 95% natural except for about the last inch on the top, and i told her she's gonna have to either keep that style forever lol, wait for the sides and back to get long enough to braid and then rock braids for a year or chop it all off to make it even...now that i think about it 1/2 wigs would probably work too...but unless you're haircrush it pretty much no way to camouflage those type of cuts without extensions or wigs.

MsLizziA

my sister has a mohawk and she's 95% natural except for about the last inch on the top, and i told her she's gonna have to either keep that style forever lol, wait for the sides and back to get long enough to braid and then rock braids for a year or chop it all off to make it even...now that i think about it 1/2 wigs would probably work too...but unless you're haircrush it pretty much no way to camouflage those type of cuts without extensions or wigs.

I mean i think it looks stupid period... but thats just me

BostonMaria

I don't know why these young girls are doing that bald thing, but what the heck do I know LOL I can't even imagine growing in that bald side.... anyway lemme stop

I think you should tell her to do a comb over LOL and just let it grow out for now. Maybe in a year when its about 6 inches she can re-assess the damage and see if she wants to either cut or get a weave until she feels comfortable wearing it out. If it were me, I'd either cut it down bald and start fresh or I would buy a half wig and baby that bald side till it grew out.

ETA: I remember when that style was hot back in the 80's. From what I remember, the girls would just let it grow out and eventually cutting their hair.

Last edited:

MsLizziA

I don't know why these young girls are doing that bald thing, but what the heck do I know LOL I can't even imagine growing in that bald side.... anyway lemme stop

I think you should tell her to do a comb over LOL and just let it grow out for now. Maybe in a year when its about 6 inches she can re-assess the damage and see if she wants to either cut or get a weave until she feels comfortable wearing it out. If it were me, I'd either cut it down bald and start fresh or I would buy a half wig and baby that bald side till it grew out.

ETA: I remember when that style was hot back in the 80's. From what I remember, the girls would just let it grow out and eventually cutting their hair.
BostonMaria :lachen::lachen::lachen: @comb over!! I actually tried to do that with her hair... err ..no

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal

You had ta bust out Salt and Pepa ?? That was HOT in the streets back in the day. :lol::lol::lachen::lachen::lachen:

I love the story behind WHY she had to get that hair cut by the way - due to a perm gone bad.

BostonMaria

You had ta bust out Salt and Pepa ?? That was HOT in the streets back in the day. :lol::lol::lachen::lachen::lachen:

I love the story behind WHY she had to get that hair cut by the way - due to a perm gone bad.

You kidding me! Those were my girls back in the day! Don't make me do the wop.

When I read about WHY she shaved her head like that to the side I freakin laughed my butt off :lachen:Hey I gotta give her credit for being creative and for making women shave their hair off even 25 years later.

@BostonMaria :lachen::lachen::lachen: @comb over!! I actually tried to do that with her hair... err ..no

LMAO!! I was at the diner today with my DH and I grabbed the salt and pepper shakers and started the "salt salt salt salt... salt 'n pepa here" on my fried eggs LMAO :grin:

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
You kidding me! Those were my girls back in the day! Don't make me do the wop.

When I read about WHY she shaved her head like that to the side I freakin laughed my butt off :lachen:Hey I gotta give her credit for being creative and for making women shave their hair off even 25 years later.

Soooo true. I had the asymmetric hair cut ONCE. Definitely hard to keep up.

Don't let me find a picture of Stacy Lattisaw with the V-cut mushroom in the back of her hair. Lawd chile I wanted that do soooo badly. :lol::lol::lol::lachen::lachen:

OP - now that I think about it. Its just hair and all of us at one point or other have to deal with growing our hair out from a fad cut.

MsSanz92

Cut it off. I know someone at my school who had a mohawk with both of her sides shaved very low and the top colored AND relaxed and she just did a BC a few weeks ago and it looks GREAT. Me personally I would cut all my hair off, get a wig until my hair was long enough to braid and KIM

GaiasDaughter24

I know someone that cut her hair into a mohawk. She had a fade on both sides with some sick a$$ designs. After a few months she got tired of it and decided to let it grow in. It's a little messy looking, however she pulls it off very well because it fits her "look". She's very hobo-chic, boyish, NYer that rocks the Kanye glasses and weird prints. Her style is awesome and she pulls it off very well. I, on the other hand, could NEVER pull off growing it back in. I would have to have a plan of action before shaving it off.