Trim those straggly ends fine stranded ladies...

kizzylonghair

Ladies,

I have come to preach......
I have been on my hair journey for about 10months, My hair is getting very healthy and the length is certainly there.
I have been doing all the good things like relaxer stretching, Deep Con, etc, etc....
But there has been one thing that I feel has stunted my journey, the ends of my hair are super thin from all the years of overprocessing, brushing & abuse.
I have and will always have fine stranded hair, but the abuse made it worst!!!

Anyway I cut about 1.5 inches of the damaged off another 1 inch would have totally done it, but I will do another trim, all I can say is WOW:blush: My hair looks great, detangling is now a breeeeeze, its not catching on other strands of my hair.

Its just a little encouragement for my fine stranded ladies to take the plunge if they have a similar problem,

I will have the length back at my next relaxer but minus the thin ends!!!

HTH :grin:

Nonie

My advice is not to wait too long to use the scissors, because when you do, you find have to cut off so much. Had you been doing it every 2 months, taking off 1/5 of what you had to take off, you'd not have needed that trim.

Dusting regularly saves you from ever seeing the thin straggly ends that need to be trimmed off.

Imani

I have fine strands and I've always felt this way as well, my hair does better with regular trimming. I also think my hair does better without a ton of layering in it.

I just got a professional trim yesterday after straightening. I'm looking forward to detangling being much easier next time I wash.

destine2grow

I have fine strands and I've always felt this way as well, my hair does better with regular trimming. I also think my hair does better without a ton of layering in it.

I just got a professional trim yesterday after straightening. I'm looking forward to detangling being much easier next time I wash.

I so agree with you but I haven't had a trim in about a year.:blush: I am scared to do it myself and scared to let someone else do it. I think I am going to by some shears and just do a dusting.

davisbr88

ITA! :yep:
I just gave myself a tiny trim and it made a world of difference. My hair was a lot lighter and WAY smoother afterward, and the little breakage I had is now nonexistent. We definitely do have to pay special attention to our ends, especially if they're rubbing against clothes and such. That definitely doesn't help.

Lissa0821

Yeah I have to agree with you. My niece trimmed my ends the other day and I have fallen back in love with my hair. My hair is fine and my ends were see through but it looks and feels so much fuller now. I was getting trims every 6 months but I think I will get them done every three months when I get a touch up.

Forever in Bloom

Well, you wouldn't believe what I've been doing for the past 4 days...searching and destroying my hair section by section. But as Nonie as said before (and I could have avoided doing it in the first place) is that dusting is way better. Not only is it a preventative measure, but it also cuts back on spending so much time trying to be greedy with your hair by holding on to scraggly ends and trimming only the "favored" few :yep:

kizzylonghair

My advice is not to wait too long to use the scissors, because when you do, you find have to cut off so much. Had you been doing it every 2 months, taking off 1/5 of what you had to take off, you'd not have needed that trim.

Dusting regularly saves you from ever seeing the thin straggly ends that need to be trimmed off.

You are so right, trimming is def now part of my regime :grin: I was to focused on length but it was fake thin length so no point!!

kizzylonghair

Oh your detangling will be a breeeezze:grin:

kizzylonghair

I just gave myself a tiny trim and it made a world of difference. My hair was a lot lighter and WAY smoother afterward, and the little breakage I had is now nonexistent. We definitely do have to pay special attention to our ends, especially if they're rubbing against clothes and such. That definitely doesn't help.

Girl I hear you:grin:

kizzylonghair

Well, you wouldn't believe what I've been doing for the past 4 days...searching and destroying my hair section by section. But as Nonie as said before (and I could have avoided doing it in the first place) is that dusting is way better. Not only is it a preventative measure, but it also cuts back on spending so much time trying to be greedy with your hair by holding on to scraggly ends and trimming only the "favored" few :yep:

Yep, lessons learnt for all of us. I brought the splitender and I thought would have been the answer...BUT although it must of done some good. It was def a good trim I needed. The splitender didnt make my hair look and feel like this:grin:

Imani

I so agree with you but I haven't had a trim in about a year.:blush: I am scared to do it myself and scared to let someone else do it. I think I am going to by some shears and just do a dusting.

Yeah, u have to find someone you really trust. I have had enough jacked up trims/cuts to where I am super picky. I'm about to relocate and I probably won't be trimming again until I fly back down to visit and let my current stylist trim it.

I would just do a dusting until you can find someone you really trust, preferably from a referral. I usually just pick up some shears from Sallys. Have u looked at the salon review forum to find someone in your area?

Imani

I didn't know u had fine strands. you hair always looks so thick. :yep:

Nonie

I didn't know u had fine strands. you hair always looks so thick. :yep:

@Imani I don't know if she has fine strands but just wanted to point out fine and thick are not mutually exclusive. Thickness comes from having many strands so she could have fine strands but many of them so that her hair looks thick.

ETA a visual:

This brush does not have fine bristles but they are not plentiful and if they were hair, we'd call the strands coarse and the hair thin not thick.

On the other hand, the brush below has fine strands but many of them, so if it were a head of hair, we'd say the strands are fine but the hair is thick:

Last edited:

SimplyBlessed

Lord knows my ends need a trim...but I'm scared to let someone do it...

Any suggestions on doing it urself

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Long Hair Care Forum App

kizzylonghair

@Imani I don't know if she has fine strands but just wanted to point out fine and thick are not mutually exclusive. Thickness comes from having many strands so she could have fine strands but many of them so that her hair looks thick.

ETA a visual:

This brush does not have fine bristles but they are not plentiful and if they were hair, we'd call the strands coarse and the hair thin not thick.

On the other hand, the brush below had fine strands but many of them, so if it were a head of hair, we'd say the strands are fine but the hair is thick:

Good visuals :spinning: Breaks it down!!

My hair is this brush, but I am working on it. Can't change the amount of hair but can bring it back to the thickness its supposed to be :grin:

Nonie

SimplyBlessed Most of us naturals put our hair in small twists and snip off the same amount from the ends of all the twists. That doesn't change the overall look of the hair since the same change happens to all the strands.

Mz.MoMo5235

Nonie i always love your visuals. i'm such a visual person and there have been plenty o'time where the light bulb went off because of your visuals

now back on topic

NEVA!!!!!!!! i'm keeping my lead hairs *slowly strokes dry brittle ends as they crumble off* :lol: all jocking aside, i do think trims are important but i think a lot of people over trim based on want "full ends" and are cutting lead hairs that have no damage.

i went a whole 12 mos w/o scissors, no trims, cuts, or s&d and all i had to cut it about 2 inches at the end of the no trim challenge.

this yr i will not be doing that as i realized i like my ends a bit neater than that but i will still do minimal trims based off of the sites total preference lol

SimplyBlessed

SimplyBlessed Most of us naturals put our hair in small twists and snip off the same amount from the ends of all the twists. That doesn't change the overall look of the hair since the same change happens to all the strands.

thank u miss Nonie :flowers:

I think I'm HL now and should go to WL lol thats a big jump but i think my hair will look thicker...

Nonie how many twists do u normally do??

madamdot

Yup I am right there with you ladies! Oh and I am the body shop brush so people think I have thick hair and try to be rough with it. My strands are very, very fine so I always try to be gentle.

I have been trimming a lot lately and I am feeling better about it. I think I will consistently trim until mid summer or so and then give myself a break. I imagine by then my hair will catch up with itself.

And yes, de-tangling is horrible without regular trims.

Napp

Ms. Nobody

yep i just did a quick trim today. i went for a year without trimming and that was one of the worst decisions ive made regarding my hairs health. Soon i am going to get a fresh blunt cut to rectify the damage that was done for waiting that long and get rid of these damned layers.:nono:

Nonie

thank u miss Nonie :flowers:

I think I'm HL now and should go to WL lol thats a big jump but i think my hair will look thicker...

@Nonie how many twists do u normally do??

SimplyBlessed, please don't make me count them. :lachen:

I think the smaller they are, the better you're able to gauge how much you cut coz you're looking at small sections at a time. But I don't think you have to make them as small as I do. I live in mine and like them to be small because I can treat them like loose hair and manipulate them better into styles when they are this small and plentiful.

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
i went a whole 12 mos w/o scissors, no trims, cuts, or s&d and all i had to cut it about 2 inches at the end of the no trim challenge.

I agree :yep:

I'm not a fine strand lady, but I use to trim my hair too much and I was a firm believer in trimming ends to curve damaged hair. But all that did was cause me to lose precious healthy length that didn't need to be cut in the first place. But nowadays I am not cutting at all except for spot SSK's that I find and my hair hasn't spontaneously combusted into a fireball of split ends yet...my last cut was in September and I am still waiting. :grin: My hair is tangled free (one of my key markers for healthy ends) and my ends look good.

I'm trying this for a year too or until this fireball explodes on my hair....whatever comes first :spinning:

Last edited:

Flor

.................................................................................

Last edited:

destine2grow

Yeah, u have to find someone you really trust. I have had enough jacked up trims/cuts to where I am super picky. I'm about to relocate and I probably won't be trimming again until I fly back down to visit and let my current stylist trim it.

I would just do a dusting until you can find someone you really trust, preferably from a referral. I usually just pick up some shears from Sallys. Have u looked at the salon review forum to find someone in your area?

Yes ma'am I have looked in the salon review forum. I also have a salon that I want to go to. I was trying to save the visit for when I wanted to big chop. I will have to make an appt me to get them trim. They seem to have good reviews and they also specialize in natural hair.

bellebebe

I second that notion, doll. Because I waited a long time to get a trim, I had to get rid of several inches. When I did, it was the best thing I ever did to my hair. My hair looked, and felt sooo much better. Although it was shorter, I loved it more. My hair is now even, and is almost back to it's original length.

davisbr88

Imani: girl no!
My strands are crazy fine! And I have low - medium density. It just looks thick, I think, because I still have the natural layers I had when I BC'ed and they make it look like I have wayyyy more hair than I have. Just look at pics of my twists and you'll see!

C(squared)

This came right on time. I haven't had a trim since October of last year. I've had so much progress, that I'm afraid to go in and have it snipped right off. My ends are overprocessed from years of coloring. I am trying to have more control over my trims instead of leaving it up to my hairstylist just because I think they are more concerned about even ends than real split ends. I honestly may even straighten it myself and go to the Supercuts around the corner from my house.

Has anyone had any experiences with these places (Borics, Supercuts, etc)?

amwcah

I have been gradually trimming mine. It does make detangling alot easier.

I must definitely stunted my progress by not trimming my thin ends sooner.

kizzylonghair

Simply :woot: I love your hair, shoot u could loose 3 inches and not even notice :lachen:
I understand trusting someone, I got my cousin to do mine and watched her every snip