My hair feels soft but looks dry!!! Help!!

renren

My hair is soft, feels moisturized but looks soooo dry!!!!:blush:

Im texturised and my hair color has changed somewhat...so you think that may be the problem? Maybe I should do a color rinse?? Any one else had/has this problem?

Any help/advice I can get would be greatly appreciated..

TIA ladies

tatiana

I have this problem. My hair is for the most part always soft.

When you say hair color? Do you mean your natural hair color is lighter? Yes, I know what you are talking about.

I found baggy method overnight a few days of week helps.

hope this helps.

darlingdiva

I always put avocado oil on top of my conditioner to alleviate that dry look.

I don't know if you want to try the oil because you're texturized and the oil may weigh your hair down.

I have fine natural hair, and it doesn't weigh my hair down.

HTH!

renren

I have this problem. My hair is for the most part always soft.

When you say hair color? Do you mean your natural hair color is lighter? Yes, I know what you are talking about.

I found baggy method overnight a few days of week helps.

hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply.

I have found that some parts of my hair have gotten a little lighter. A dirtyish brown. I was thinking that a dark brown rinse might help but I dont wana put color in my hair for no reason.

FebeeSigns

Shine gives a healthy appearance and gives the illusion that your hair is healthy and not dry looking at oil. Your best bet is to find an oil. Coconut works wonders.

tatiana

Thanks for the reply.

I have found that some parts of my hair have gotten a little lighter. A dirtyish brown. I was thinking that a dark brown rinse might help but I dont wana put color in my hair for no reason.

I have noticed when my hair is dry the crown has a reddish brown hue but when my hair is moisturize the reddish brown hue disappears.

I also notice flyaways and my hair starts going in a east-west direction when dry.

Out of curiosity, would you say describe your hair as fine?

QBOE2001

i've always had this problem, my hair is a reddish brown color naturally....a clear rinse always seems to solve the problem and doesn't damage my hair. Alternatively a little kemi oil (about the size of a dime for apl length hair daily does the trick as well. hope that helps.

renren

I have noticed when my hair is dry the crown has a reddish brown hue but when my hair is moisturize the reddish brown hue disappears.

I also notice flyaways and my hair starts going in a east-west direction when dry.

Out of curiosity, would you say describe your hair as fine?

No my hair is not fine... I actually need very heavy products for my hair.

ETA: I just asked one of my co-workers to look at the color of my hair. They said 'the roots are darker than he ends.' My roots are natural as I'm a long-term stretcher... so I guess the relaxer changed my color.

Last edited:

Curlykale

My hair used to be exactly like yours: I used to do color rinses (chocolate, as dark brown resulted in very black hair, maybe because it was more porous) all the time and it worked really well. I did them every couple of months and they sort of coated my hair, making it look shiny. Yes, the texturizer used to turn my hair into a brown reddish color, especially overtime.

Silicones, oils, and homemade flaxseed gel (recipe in my blog) helped as well.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I had similar problems which for me turned out to problems with porosity. How I corrected it was using Porosity Control prior to my DCs and regularly using JBCO on my hair at night when I twisted it. I went from a really dull looking color to a rich deep color which no longer looked dry as the Sahara.

I am natural by the way.

renren

I had similar problems which for me turned out to problems with porosity. How I corrected it was using Porosity Control prior to my DCs and regularly using JBCO on my hair at night when I twisted it. I went from a really dull looking color to a rich deep color which no longer looked dry as the Sahara.

I am natural by the way.

This might be it as well..... I dont have Porosity Control here in Trinidad but maybe regular ACV rinses would help.

lana

I really think it could be from the activator used in No-Lye relaxers.

When I switched to LYE relaxers for my texlax, I had no problem with it stripping the dark color from my hair. People even think I dye my hair black now and I do not.

I also use a light oil on my hair after styling to seal in moisture. I just recently stopped using serums which made my hair look dry by day 2 after washing.

I hope this helps. Are you using a No-Lye relaxer (do you mix the relaxer?) or are you using a LYE relaxer (you don't mix it, just apply).

renren

I really think it could be from the activator used in No-Lye relaxers.

When I switched to LYE relaxers for my texlax, I had no problem with it stripping the dark color from my hair. People even think I dye my hair black now and I do not.

I also use a light oil on my hair after styling to seal in moisture. I just recently stopped using serums which made my hair look dry by day 2 after washing.

I hope this helps. Are you using a No-Lye relaxer (do you mix the relaxer?) or are you using a LYE relaxer (you don't mix it, just apply).

The last one I used was one to mix... but I use any relaxer I get my hands on lye or no lye... is this bad?

I may have to pay more attention to this...thanks

lana

Yes, this is not great. You should try to use one product consistently. Otherwise how will you know if you're getting good results from a product? Try using Lye relaxer (no mix) and see if the dry problem continues.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
Shine gives a healthy appearance and gives the illusion that your hair is healthy and not dry looking at oil. Your best bet is to find an oil. Coconut works wonders.

I was going to suggest Coconut Oil too, love that stuff in the spring/summer.

Nonie

@renren, not sure what you're talking about but not everyone's got jet black hair--which in my opinion shines the best. The lighter your hair is, the less sheen it's going to have. I have never equated not having shine with lack of health. Also the kinkier the hair is, the less shiny it will appear.

My hair appears to shine more when straightened. Here it is very well-moisturized (just finished DCing in prep for a flat ironing session) and it is also very soft (a sign of moisturized hair), but notice the absence of shine:

After I got it straight, light seems to bounce of it much better and so it appears to have shine:

Another example...after I use coconut oil, only the section of my puff that is pulled tight has a bit of sheen. The puff itself is as dull as they come:

I think most times we see "flaws" in our hair because we're so busy trying to make it look like another head of hair we know--or like it did when it was relaxed. But if you just focus on it alone as it is today, you will start to understand what it's capable of and what is not characteristic of it in the state it is. This reminds me of the thread where folks were sharing how the definition of "done" has changed since they went natural.

My natural hair color is off-black, or what someone else might call "light black" :look: It's definitely NOT jet black, nor does it have the ability to reflect light like straight black hair can:

This is my friend's hair and it's not even jet black...yet because of how straight it is, light bounces it off easily and gives in bling. Her hair has no product but I'm sure if she had some shine enhancing product, you'd see something like the pic below. Sometimes light will hit her hair and you'll see it bling w/o any products. Straightness is the reason for this as well as deep dark color.

Last edited: