Long Hair Care Forum
Home Rules Feature Of The Month !! SUBSCRIBE !! Reviews iSpy Blogs Groups Contact Us

Go Back   Long Hair Care Forum > Long Hair Care Forum's Discussion Boards > Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion

View Poll Results: Do sew-ins make your hair grow or fall out?
Makes my hair grow 101 74.26%
Makes my hair fall out or break off 35 25.74%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 02-07-2011, 05:03 PM

Thanked 2,280 Times in 360 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default Re: Do sew-ins make your hair grow or fall out?

I do think they work for some people, but it didn't work for me, and I don't agree with some of the comments that state that it totally depends on who installs and how you take care of the hair underneath. If your hair is too weak to deal with the weight, then that's just what it is. Doesn't matter if you wash/dc/moisturize religiously, IMO. If it can't take it, it can't take it. My hair thinned out horribly from a weave I had. I only wore it for a month and will be dealing with the repercussions for MUCH longer than that. I have baby fine hair, and I believe wetting my natural hair underneath the weave did more harm than good. Hair is most fragile in its wet state, and I had all this weave hair pulling on my natural hair while it was wet. Maybe if I had just let it do it's own thing, it wouldn't have broken off. I'm not gonna get another weave to test out my theory, though.

Natural after 15 years relaxed and loving it! No idea of my hair type.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GreenEyedJen For This Useful Post:
Honey Bee (03-15-2011), Imani (02-11-2011), MISSBOSSY (02-08-2011), mscocopuff (02-07-2011), preciouslove0x (03-26-2011), yardyspice (03-26-2011)
Old 02-07-2011, 05:13 PM

Thanked 4,833 Times in 826 Posts
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 67 Thread(s)

Thanks for all your reviews ladies. I'm a thick-haired, unstretched shoulder length 3c/4a natural who has strongly considered going to Reniece for a sew-in weave or fusion service. I've never had weave in my hair because I honestly don't think I need it, however, it would be great to have a service that I can wear for months at a time with little to no manipulation.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rastafarai For This Useful Post:
mscocopuff (02-07-2011)
Old 02-07-2011, 06:16 PM

Thanked 45,828 Times in 7,816 Posts
Mentioned: 411 Post(s)
Tagged: 37 Thread(s)

Personally, I have never known anyone who used sew-ins to grow their hair, that actually grew strong healthy hair. Now 5+ years later they have thinned out, chewed up hair and now they feel they have to wear sew-ins. 100% of them said they wish they never started wearing them. Plus they got addicted to having long hair.
The Following User Says Thank You to ThickHair For This Useful Post:
Imani (02-11-2011)
Old 02-07-2011, 09:32 PM

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Smile Re: Do sew-ins make your hair grow or fall out?

Ok, this is a long post...

There is an ideal formula for every single head of hair. I mean, a comb, a brush, or a flat iron can break off your hair...if it is not utilized or prescribed correctly. There are different tools because everyone is different. No one head of hair is alike. With that being said, here I go.

There are different variables that are considered before applying sew ins,

1) The overall condition of the hair - this is pretty much damage control. If there is any fragility, or damage, poor porosity, anything like this, it must be addressed before a sew in is applied. If a protein treatment or fortifying treatment is needed, this has to be addressed first and corrective measures have to be taken.

2) The application being considered - there are several different sew in methods. (Malaysian which is braidless, flat twists, cornrows, flat french braids, nets, tubes, etc) Just like there are different types of braids, kinky twists, etc, there are different applications of sew ins. There is more than one braid pattern or size to be considered for each head, you would not use the same application on every single head because everyone is different, you would not use a cross stitch sewing method on someone that doesn't need it. You use the formula that is best for each individual's head. Its like shopping, different trips birth different things. Every person is not going to purchase the same shirt or the same pair of pants. Everyone is different shapes, sizes, social levels. Everyone has a different formula.

3) The natural density and texture of the hair (Is your hair thin, medium, or thick)- This dicatates how thick your extensions should be. If your hair is rather thin, then you would either need less hair, or split the tracks before application, so that the weight is not too much on your natural hair. If you have fine 3C hair, then you wouldn't put 24 ozs of 24 inch yaky straight Hair in your head, if your natural texture is fine and density is thin,it would be more like 10 ozs with a hand tied weft. The extensions need to be becoming and supported by the method selected.

4) Also, extensions only need to be left in for 6-8 weeks. If you go past this point, it is never beneficial because you are risking your hair locking up, becoming overly stressed, etc.

I am a person that chooses to wear extensions, however I am not dependent on wearing extensions at all. When my hair is unveiled, I am always complimented on the body of my hair, the health of it, and questioned as to why I even wear extensions, however my thought on weave is my thought on any protective style. To me, they are no different. It is like a barrette to me. It is a way to dress up my hair, while protecting it. I am not my weave and I do not need my weave. I like my weave, and I love my hair. My avatar is my actual hair. It is cut into that style. I have worn extensions for years and so have a lot of my friends, and I haven't had ate up, broken off, or damaged hair from it.

The important part about installs is having someone that knows all of the variables and is able to calculate the right formula for you. I am third generation with hair so this is something that was birthed into me.

I have seen weaves done, I have done tons of them, and I have done all of my own, and I have yet to have one person that has lost their hair due to the process.

If there is a loss of hair after the process, then there are other things that would need to be figured out. Braids can be too tight, the weight could have been too great, the application could have been done carelessly.

If you relax your hair and it falls out, it isn't the relaxer that caused your hair to fall out, it is because the wrong strength was used, it was applied incorrectly, or it was applied with another chemical that wasn't considered at the time. If you comb your hair and pull out a chunk, it is not the comb that brought the hair out, but rather the teeth spacing, force used, etc. The same thing with this protective style, no install is the same. Naturals and relaxed alike.

Sometimes people say it doesn't matter who does your sew ins, if they are trained or not, but this can result in a bad situation. If the person doing your sew in does not wear extensions, they have no way of truly understanding them. If the person that just got their sew in done before you is leaving with thin edges and chinky eyes, run out as fast as you can! Your hair is next, and you will be left with the same miserable results. LOL. If your friend had understanding of extensions and she wants to put them in your head, just understand the risk that is involved with this. Then If you are still comfy with the ideam thenyou can let her, but I always say, look at their work first, inquire and research before you move on with this, then you won't end up in a situation where you can't enjoy such a wonderful invention!

These are pics of people that I know that have sew ins, but their hair is longer than the actual install. They all use them as protective styles and these are all people that are not bald or thinning from their installs. I can go on and on with these results. It is about what you know when it comes to extensions. There must always be care taken when your hair is being considered.

Last edited by mscocopuff; 02-07-2011 at 09:35 PM.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to mscocopuff For This Useful Post:
beana (02-07-2011), blissy (04-02-2011), CaramelGem (05-07-2011), girlonfire (01-30-2014), GulfCoastChica (05-20-2011), LightEyedMami (11-07-2012), livinbyproverbs31 (05-31-2011), ms.blue (03-15-2011), Rastafarai (02-08-2011), ReeseNicole (04-19-2011), RegaLady (04-10-2011), Rina88 (04-09-2011), simone103 (02-09-2011), tamrag (02-14-2011), Tylove101 (02-10-2011)
Old 02-07-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyedJen View Post
I do think they work for some people, but it didn't work for me, and I don't agree with some of the comments that state that it totally depends on who installs and how you take care of the hair underneath. If your hair is too weak to deal with the weight, then that's just what it is. Doesn't matter if you wash/dc/moisturize religiously, IMO. If it can't take it, it can't take it. My hair thinned out horribly from a weave I had. I only wore it for a month and will be dealing with the repercussions for MUCH longer than that. I have baby fine hair, and I believe wetting my natural hair underneath the weave did more harm than good. Hair is most fragile in its wet state, and I had all this weave hair pulling on my natural hair while it was wet. Maybe if I had just let it do it's own thing, it wouldn't have broken off. I'm not gonna get another weave to test out my theory, though.
I can definitely agree with you on this one, when you leave your hair alone, versus putting things in it, it definitely is better! I promise though that for those that want a weave, there def is a formula out there. But definitely good advice to "Live and let the hair live."

The Following User Says Thank You to mscocopuff For This Useful Post:
GreenEyedJen (02-08-2011)
Old 02-08-2011, 05:14 AM

Thanked 1,650 Times in 355 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)

I no longer do sew ins in my hair as I've had dreadful experiences. I've had 3 sew ins done-the first was great but the next two were disasters with thinning, shedding and slight balding.
Sew-ins can work, but in my experience success is depends on so many factors. You need to make sure your hair is in good condition, the braids aren't too thin or too tight, the stitching is right e.t.c. All in all for me it's too much work. I prefer a wig as it's pretty much fail proof for me.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to serendipity For This Useful Post:
Carisa (02-08-2011), mscocopuff (02-08-2011), SelfStyled (02-09-2011)
Old 02-08-2011, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I love sew ins.
My hair thrives on very little manipulation.
It depends on how you take care of your hair under the weave that will determine whether or not it will be healthy on takedown day.
I always try to keep my braids moisturized and my scalp clean.
I love the results that I get when I take down, plus my hands aren't always in my hair which is a good thing because I have heavy hands.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anastaja11 For This Useful Post:
dollface0023 (03-26-2011), LightEyedMami (11-07-2012), ms.blue (03-15-2011)
Old 02-08-2011, 03:14 PM

Thanked 1,148 Times in 410 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 41 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzteaze View Post
Wore them for 8 years continually for the most part. Ended with extra thin hair and several bald areas. There are several threads about the horrors some have experienced with weaves that you might want to check out.

For me, it really wasn't the best thing to do for my hair. I had length but see-through hair with bald spots. I really wasn't into the string hair look. :-/
This is me- my ends looked very thin when wearing sew ins. My hair grew fine, I just couldn't retaining it. For me its harder to wash my real hair and moisturize it appropriately with a sew-in
The Following User Says Thank You to Carisa For This Useful Post:
mzteaze (03-15-2011)
Old 02-08-2011, 03:15 PM

Thanked 8,366 Times in 1,214 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 22 Thread(s)

I stay in weaves seriously for mostly the whole year. My hair GROWS so much when it's weaved up. Of course I let it breathe for a week or so in between installs so that I can deep condition it, and do a length check. Overall, my hair does very well with them!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ashlee5125 For This Useful Post:
dollface0023 (03-26-2011), ms.blue (03-15-2011), mscocopuff (02-08-2011)
Old 02-08-2011, 03:20 PM
♥♥ Circa 1 inch ♥♥

Thanked 4,064 Times in 1,306 Posts
Mentioned: 306 Post(s)
Tagged: 25 Thread(s)

I wear weaves for 3 months per install with NO issues.

Like others have stated-- Its all about how you take care of your hair while in a sew in. Edges need to be left out and there is NO reason why your braids should be hella tight.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yaya24 For This Useful Post:
dollface0023 (03-26-2011), GulfCoastChica (05-20-2011), mscocopuff (02-08-2011)
Old 02-08-2011, 03:38 PM

Thanked 23,456 Times in 4,438 Posts
Mentioned: 458 Post(s)
Tagged: 159 Thread(s)
Angry Re: Do sew-ins make your hair grow or fall out?

Okay, so can somebody help me out please! I'm mad that yall can successfully wear sew-ins! Because I really want to try a sew-in again as my transition won't be over until MAY! That is a long.azzz.time from now!

So this was my weave: my edges/nape were completely left out, it was sewn in a circle, no net/cap or whatever. I made sure to get down in the braids and moisturized with leave-in and sealed with oil every other day. Which is what I do normally. I also shampooed and DC'ed once/week (the braids). Which, again, is what I normally do. ALSO I did protein every other week.

When I took my weave out, the part where the braid meets the NG was incredibly matted! I know she didn't use anything to braid it because I watched her in the mirror! (She did comment on how soft my hair was though lol) Anyway, back to my anger: I've had kinky twists and micros before (when I was much younger) and this same thing happened! It was like the same gooey substance causing my hair to be matted there And I wash my freaking hair every freaking week! I had to literally pull apart my hair strands because it was like dreaded I lost a lot of hair! But my hair grew soo much in those 2 months...I have NG for days!

So I would like to try it again if anyone has any suggestions as to what is the culprit to this? Help is greatly appreciated!

ETA: maybe it was in too tight? I am extremely NON-tenderheaded and I actually like the tight feeling on my scalp while braiding...so I'm not a good gauge of how tight it was

Last edited by qchelle; 02-08-2011 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 11 Thread(s)

I am a newbie to weaves. I am a straighten natural who is looking for a new stylist that doesn't use ALOT OF HEAT. So I decided to weave up my fine bsl hair and to give my hair a break in the process.

When ladies would refer me to people that do weaves, I would go and watch them do a sew in. Some ladies braided so tight that you saw lumps in the scalp. Others braided the hair in a circular pattern and sealed the hair off with threads all over the corn rows. I am very tendered headed, so I want to make sure I get the right person.

I went on the same day that of my friends went and we have the same texture hair. I watched the lady flat braid and used a sheet net. The process didn't take long at all. So I went to her and haven't had any problems. I go every 6-8 wks as well. My hair did grow. I am still in weaves. I like my natural hair better.

Now last month I tried to be cheap, and let my braid lady little sister weave me. (My braid lady doesn't weave) Mind you, I did not watch her process. She did not use a net. I hated the end result, took it out two weeks later, didn't realize that she double threaded me through out my hair. So I had some BREAKAGE!

So, stick with what you are comfortable with and not because the price is less.

Last edited by ladyfay; 02-08-2011 at 07:08 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ladyfay For This Useful Post:
mzteaze (03-15-2011)
Old 02-08-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qchelle View Post
Okay, so can somebody help me out please! I'm mad that yall can successfully wear sew-ins! Because I really want to try a sew-in again as my transition won't be over until MAY! That is a long.azzz.time from now!

So this was my weave: my edges/nape were completely left out, it was sewn in a circle, no net/cap or whatever. I made sure to get down in the braids and moisturized with leave-in and sealed with oil every other day. Which is what I do normally. I also shampooed and DC'ed once/week (the braids). Which, again, is what I normally do. ALSO I did protein every other week.

When I took my weave out, the part where the braid meets the NG was incredibly matted! I know she didn't use anything to braid it because I watched her in the mirror! (She did comment on how soft my hair was though lol) Anyway, back to my anger: I've had kinky twists and micros before (when I was much younger) and this same thing happened! It was like the same gooey substance causing my hair to be matted there And I wash my freaking hair every freaking week! I had to literally pull apart my hair strands because it was like dreaded I lost a lot of hair! But my hair grew soo much in those 2 months...I have NG for days!

So I would like to try it again if anyone has any suggestions as to what is the culprit to this? Help is greatly appreciated!

ETA: maybe it was in too tight? I am extremely NON-tenderheaded and I actually like the tight feeling on my scalp while braiding...so I'm not a good gauge of how tight it was
What sounds like the culprit is your shed hairs engulfed in product build up. I would suggest using a braid spray and a light oil to condition your hair like sesame oil or jojoba. Before my sew ins, I usually do a deep conditioner beforehand, then I spray with Infusium 23 before hand. After this I braid the hair down. You want to stay away from cremes for the most part, if you are having the product build up. May I ask, how long are you leaving your install in before you remove it?

The Following User Says Thank You to mscocopuff For This Useful Post:
qchelle (02-09-2011)
Old 02-08-2011, 09:25 PM

Thanked 2,209 Times in 455 Posts
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 17 Thread(s)

People always say that you have to moisturize the hair underneath... i think thats a big no no!! IMO thats why so many people get extreme matting and tangles. I wash and DC my hair every 2 weeks while im in a sew in with no problems. The only time my braids underneath get wet or moist is during wash day.

Keep in mind this is what works best **for me**
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to beana For This Useful Post:
GulfCoastChica (05-20-2011), Kurlee (02-08-2011), Princess Tam Tam (02-10-2011), qchelle (02-09-2011), RegaLady (04-10-2011)
Old 02-08-2011, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

before i stared my hhj, i just wore the tracks sewd directly to my hair. that made my hair thin out, i also didnt take care of my hair underneath and i kept them in for waaay too long... so that left me with dry brittle hair....when i took them down, my hair used to shed horribly,

now i get sew ins on a weave cap, keep my scalp n hair moisturized and oiled. , and keep the sew in no longer than 6 weeks to prevent matting. i also let my hair take a break in between sew ins, and do a protien treatmnt, 2-3 weeks before an install. and now i have no problems with sew in., im in one now and plan to do this for most the year.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tif392002 For This Useful Post:
mscocopuff (02-10-2011)
Old 02-09-2011, 12:58 AM

Thanked 23,456 Times in 4,438 Posts
Mentioned: 458 Post(s)
Tagged: 159 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by catrina8211 View Post
What sounds like the culprit is your shed hairs engulfed in product build up. I would suggest using a braid spray and a light oil to condition your hair like sesame oil or jojoba. Before my sew ins, I usually do a deep conditioner beforehand, then I spray with Infusium 23 before hand. After this I braid the hair down. You want to stay away from cremes for the most part, if you are having the product build up. May I ask, how long are you leaving your install in before you remove it?
Thank you so much! I will def. try a braid spray next time instead of creamy leave-ins and oils all the time

And I had it in for 2 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beana View Post
People always say that you have to moisturize the hair underneath... i think thats a big no no!! IMO thats why so many people get extreme matting and tangles. I wash and DC my hair every 2 weeks while im in a sew in with no problems. The only time my braids underneath get wet or moist is during wash day.

Keep in mind this is what works best **for me**
I am inclined to agree with you! (atleast for me, too)

I think I'll try one more sew-in for March-April and see how it goes. I'll try the braid spray and only really wet it every other week. If this has the same results, no more sew-ins fore me. You ladies have given me some inspiration lol, so thank you!
The Following User Says Thank You to qchelle For This Useful Post:
mscocopuff (02-10-2011)
Old 02-09-2011, 05:48 AM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

Ok, I keep reading that you ought to properly look after your hair while it's under the weave but what does that mean?

I wear a sew in and I'm scared to wash/DC it because I imagine that 1) my weave will become loose once I've saturated the hair, 2) my hair will become matted underneath once it's washed and naturally dried without being combed and 3) I wont be able to properly wash out the shampoo and conditioner.

So I wouldn't mind some advice as to how to go through this process while my hair is in weave because currently I don't wash it at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monaleezza For This Useful Post:
qchelle (02-09-2011)
Old 02-09-2011, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 28 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by serendipity View Post
I no longer do sew ins in my hair as I've had dreadful experiences. I've had 3 sew ins done-the first was great but the next two were disasters with thinning, shedding and slight balding.
Sew-ins can work, but in my experience success is depends on so many factors. You need to make sure your hair is in good condition, the braids aren't too thin or too tight, the stitching is right e.t.c. All in all for me it's too much work. I prefer a wig as it's pretty much fail proof for me.
Yup- coulda wrote this post myself. Give me a half wig, and I am good to go. Weaves are how my hair journey began. Weaves left me with bald spots, and very thin hair. I wish I could wear weaves as a protective style, but they are not for me.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyedJen View Post
Did you use a weaving cap?
Old 02-09-2011, 12:26 PM

Thanked 19,773 Times in 4,300 Posts
Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)

I can only wear a weave for a bout a month and a half at a time. The woman who does it keeps my braids firm, not tight. Either me or my mom with take it down. I learned the hard way to detangle BEFORE I wash/condition. For me, my hair grows in a sew in. But again, I only wear it 1-1.5 months at a time maybe 3 times a year.
The Following User Says Thank You to Makenzie For This Useful Post:
mscocopuff (02-10-2011)