Long Hair Care Forum
Home Rules Feature Of The Month !! SUBSCRIBE !! Reviews iSpy Blogs Groups Contact Us

Go Back   Long Hair Care Forum > Long Hair Care Forum's Discussion Boards > Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion

User Tag List

Old 01-28-2011, 10:39 AM

Thanked 6,971 Times in 1,417 Posts
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 13 Thread(s)
Default Negative side effects with Amla oil

Ladies I posted a few weeks ago about my hair breaking and I could not understand why. Well yesterday I washed and before I did I did a prepoo with the Amla oil for about 20 minutes and I proceeded to wash with Giovanni silk and smooth shampoo and conditioner. I apply kinky curly leave in and braided my hair in plaits, while doing so I noticed at least 3 spots where the hair was about half an inch, it looks like breakage at the roots. This morning I unbraided one of my braids and while unbraiding the hair was just snapping off ugh! Is it possible that the Amla is giving my hair this problem? I mean it is just an oil but I cannot understand what the problem is. Every time I try to care for my hair on my own it always breaks and I am fed up. Now I am not sure if I should wash my hair again tonight and do a protein treatment instead and stay away from the Amla or just leave it alone.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:49 AM

Thanked 4,003 Times in 1,451 Posts
Mentioned: 263 Post(s)
Tagged: 75 Thread(s)
Default Re: Negative side effects with Amla oil

You listed amla, giovanni shampoo, giovanni conditioner, kc leave-in -- how do you know which product is causing the breakage? Is amla oil the last product you added?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to choctaw For This Useful Post:
Charz (01-28-2011), hannan (01-28-2011), RibzyMitzi7 (08-08-2012), Sammie7 (05-08-2014), sensi sweetie (01-28-2011)
Old 01-28-2011, 10:53 AM

Thanked 2,097 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 58 Thread(s)

It could be that the amla oil is preventing moisture from getting to the hair strands. Oils tend to repel water. I suggest to stop using amla oil and see if that will work.

Last edited by ms.blue; 01-28-2011 at 11:29 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ms.blue For This Useful Post:
DanitheBee (01-28-2011), Kinkyhairlady (01-28-2011)
Old 01-28-2011, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)

Which brand of alma are you using? Some have mineral oil - that could be the culprit

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to omnipadme For This Useful Post:
Kinkyhairlady (01-28-2011), Kurlee (01-28-2011)
Old 01-28-2011, 10:55 AM

Thanked 6,499 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 20 Thread(s)

Amla oil is supposed to strengthen the hair. Maybe you need to give your hair some moisture. I would wash it out and deep condition. Lay off the Amla oil- everything doesn't work for everybody. Listen to your hair.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lynnerie For This Useful Post:
Iluvsmuhgrass (01-28-2011), Kinkyhairlady (01-28-2011), Lita (01-29-2011), nestlequik (01-28-2011)
Old 01-28-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choctaw View Post
You listed amla, giovanni shampoo, giovanni conditioner, kc leave-in -- how do you know which product is causing the breakage? Is amla oil the last product you added?
Well I been using the KK leave in and the Giovanni is new but the breakage started before that, it started when I first used the Amla. My hair was shedding big time and I was confused but yesterday it did not shed as much but the breakage was bad. Maybe the amla does not mix with the others? It has to be the Amla cause all the other stuff I use I've used before.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnipadme View Post
Which brand of alma are you using? Some have mineral oil - that could be the culprit
Mine does have mineral oil but i've used products with mineral oil before I think.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:12 AM

Thanked 7,878 Times in 2,071 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 34 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinkyhairlady View Post
Well I been using the KK leave in and the Giovanni is new but the breakage started before that, it started when I first used the Amla. My hair was shedding big time and I was confused but yesterday it did not shed as much but the breakage was bad. Maybe the amla does not mix with the others? It has to be the Amla cause all the other stuff I use I've used before.
i've been wondering about that (shedding) from amla powder

i did not like the ingredients in the oil
The Following User Says Thank You to tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT For This Useful Post:
Kurlee (01-28-2011)
Old 01-28-2011, 11:28 AM

Thanked 30,536 Times in 4,204 Posts
Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)

i never had problems with amla oil. esp. because i too use it as a prepoo it isn't something that is staying in my hair. i'd recommend doing a light protein (or heavy protein if you're not sensitive) treatment to your hair. that may nip the breaking in the bud. sometimes your hair can be too moisturized making is "mushy" and prone to breakage. i had to up my protein game as i've been all about moisture when in fact the light protein in some conditioners just won't do the trick (i.e. lustrasilk, ors replenshing pack). maybe aphogee 2 minute or motions cpr would help. i doubt its the amla oil.

If black folks want to be free, they must want to be educated. Without freedom of mind there can be no true and lasting freedom.” — bell hooks
Waist Length~4a/4b
Old 01-28-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyNaps26 View Post
i never had problems with amla oil. esp. because i too use it as a prepoo it isn't something that is staying in my hair. i'd recommend doing a light protein (or heavy protein if you're not sensitive) treatment to your hair. that may nip the breaking in the bud. sometimes your hair can be too moisturized making is "mushy" and prone to breakage. i had to up my protein game as i've been all about moisture when in fact the light protein in some conditioners just won't do the trick (i.e. lustrasilk, ors replenshing pack). maybe aphogee 2 minute or motions cpr would help. i doubt its the amla oil.
When I get home tonight I will clarify to get the Amla out cause my hair smells like it still even if I washed it. I will then do the Nexxus Emergencee and moisturize. I guess I will just toss the Amla, I wish I had not purchased 3 bottles. I think it must be the Amla cause I have not used anything else on my hair that is really new. I am so upset about this because I have several patches of short hair all over my head, I just discovered 2 more, wtf!
Old 01-28-2011, 12:04 PM

Thanked 5,293 Times in 987 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 22 Thread(s)

I've not had any problems with Amla oil (even having mineral oil in it). I don't see an oil causing that severe breakage. What is your styling routine like? What tools do you use? How do you protect your hair? Could it be your braids that cause the problem? By your name, I'm going to assume you're natural. Are you taking care of your hair while in braids?
Old 01-28-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your Cheeziness View Post
I've not had any problems with Amla oil (even having mineral oil in it). I don't see an oil causing that severe breakage. What is your styling routine like? What tools do you use? How do you protect your hair? Could it be your braids that cause the problem? By your name, I'm going to assume you're natural. Are you taking care of your hair while in braids?
I have not been doing much to my hair just wash, condition and twist it for 2 weeks. I never had this issue when I had my hair braided professionally it just started since my hair has been out. I do a light blowdry before I twist that is all.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:48 PM

Ok the Amla is definately having an effect on my hair! My hair is a dirty brown color and I know for a fact my hair is usually very dark like a 1A and it is looking lighter then a 1B right now, it's ugly. Ugh. This is what i get for trying new things, it is always safer for me to just wear braids cause I manipulate my hair less. smh
Old 01-28-2011, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Amla is supposed to make your hair darker - but not all products work for everyone. Amla makes the hair stronger but maybe you need something more moisturizing? Maybe you have too much protein in your hair products?

At: APL. Goal: MBL!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vashti For This Useful Post:
EllePixie (01-28-2011), Kinkyhairlady (01-28-2011)
Old 01-28-2011, 02:22 PM

Thanked 12,003 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)

Amla is also acidic...so if you use it too often without other moisturizers you may be drying your hair out.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashti View Post
Amla is supposed to make your hair darker - but not all products work for everyone. Amla makes the hair stronger but maybe you need something more moisturizing? Maybe you have too much protein in your hair products?
Yes that is what I thought but I can see a big difference in my hair color today. I don't see what else would affect the color of my hair except for the Amla. I am going to salon today to cut my hair and do a treatment, I don't care if I have to start all over cause my hair looks awful right now to the point I want to cry.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:26 PM

Thanked 6,553 Times in 2,526 Posts
Mentioned: 870 Post(s)
Tagged: 140 Thread(s)

Try Clarifying before drastic measures and relax.

I'd delay the cut tis far.
The Following User Says Thank You to JJamiah For This Useful Post:
Kinkyhairlady (01-28-2011)
Old 01-28-2011, 03:44 PM

So I am at the salon and the stylist is analyzing my hair and she seems to think it is not breakage and that it looks more like something cut those areas. I am careful when taking out my weaves but honestly I don't know now. She said natural hair is strong and does not easily break off without using harsh chemicals. I guess that solves the mystery but I am upset about these patches. I did not even notice until recently. I am getting a trim now I am scared she may take off too much, she said my hair was dry though which is weird cause I did a moisture treatment last night for 15 mins.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:52 PM

Thanked 5,293 Times in 987 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 22 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinkyhairlady View Post
So I am at the salon and the stylist is analyzing my hair and she seems to think it is not breakage and that it looks more like something cut those areas. I am careful when taking out my weaves but honestly I don't know now. She said natural hair is strong and does not easily break off without using harsh chemicals. I guess that solves the mystery but I am upset about these patches. I did not even notice until recently. I am getting a trim now I am scared she may take off too much, she said my hair was dry though which is weird cause I did a moisture treatment last night for 15 mins.
I kind of figured it was something mechanical for it to broken off in patches. I am glad you got the issue figured out. Check out youtube videos for different techniques on how people take their weave down to avoid cutting their hair. Best wishes!
Old 01-28-2011, 04:59 PM

Thanked 8,226 Times in 2,041 Posts
Mentioned: 759 Post(s)
Tagged: 16 Thread(s)

I'm studying this thread b/c your pattern of breakage sounds very similar to mine. However, mine started (i believe) around the time I began doing acv rinses (diluted acidic rinses). Oh, and my hair is a lighter brown than it used to be. (I've never colored my hair before). My hair looked like someone took some scissors and cut! I haven't had extensions in 2yrs though....interesting...Do you really think it was the braids??

Last edited by virtuenow; 01-28-2011 at 05:06 PM.