Why is my hair soo soft while airdrying then dry & puffy once fully dried?

bb09

Okay I'll try and make this detailed since I'm going out in a bit.
My hair..

I did an overnight prepoo on wet hair with ghee, rice bran oil, and olive oil, and I rinsed that out. I then conditioned my hair with aussie moist (filtered water final rinse), then as leave-ins, I used aubrey organics b5 gel on the right side of my hair, and joico daily care conditioner on the left side of my hair. My hair was soo soft/smooth, and I actually went out last night, while it was still drying, thinking I've FINALLY 'got' my hair.

Well I put my hair in a ponytail without the hairband (capisce?) -I basically pulled all my hair back, gathered it with my hands like I was doing a ponytail, then 'wrapped' the ponytail at the side of my head. Then I put my cotton scarf on so that it'd absorb the rest of the water (before going to sleep).

Well as per usual, the top of my head is sleek /shiny -a bit greasy though, and the middle /length was puffy and dryy with shrinkage -even though I'm texlaxed :nono:.

I'm Beyond my wit's end with what to do with my hair. I was really hoping doing a prepoo with oils would work. I used maybe 2tbsps on my wet hair, and that might have been a bit much, because it was a bit greasy, and my hair smelt like butter popcorn.. Do you think doing a prepoo on dry hair would have made the difference? Can anyone link blowdrying tutorials pls? I'm thinking to blowdry my hair when it's 90% dry or something since airdrying might just not be working.

I'm a few inches away from my goal length (1 inch from BSL), but what's the point of having that hair and not being able to deal with it /style it:nono:

Nonie

I don't know about the products you used, and my understanding of prepoos is they make the results from the poo and conditioner that follow even better. They are like a DC of sorts.

Now I know if you apply S Curl (yeah, that's the only leave-in I'm clued in on) on wet/damp hair, it dries hard. If you apply it on dry hair, you have soft hair for days. So I apply to damp hair so I can comb through and style then let it airdry and I always reapply once dry and then I'm good for days.

The reason I don't care to try anything else is everything else I ever tried always felt good on application and then my hair would feel hard and dry later, be they butters, creams, oils...you name it.

So it may just be the products don't work for you hair.

I also find using too much just makes products cancel each other out. Someone once PMed me that S Curl wasn't working after she applied it with a couple of other things. I suggested she wash her hair and use it alone. She PMed me back to thank me coz her hair was so soft.

Not saying S Curl is what will work for you, but I do believe whatever you do, less is more. Or, it could just be that there's a method to the madness of using those products...just like many of us S Curlers have found out: "S Curl is for dry hair" is how it was concisely put. :grin:

alive

So it may just be the products don't work for you hair.

I also find using too much just makes products cancel each other out. Someone once PMed me that S Curl wasn't working after she applied it with a couple of other things.

:lachen: @ the bolded. Nonie has a point though. sometimes, using too many products at once makes hair dry hard and crunchy :yep:

bb09

That was fast! Okay, I'm popping out after this

I have to say, I applied a sensible amount. My hair felt really soft while airdrying, and I didn't seal or anything, so it shouldn't have been heavy.

Last week, I used skala leave-in with serum, and if anything, my hair was frizzier. I've noticed water based Moisturisers and a sealant usually equals frizzy puffy hair/length, which is why I used a water based gel, and water based conditioner. That's why I was pleased when I thought oil was the missing link for me.

The top of my hair is always smooth, but then when I take it out of its hairband, it almost looks damaged:nono: (it's not though), or like I put it in a bun for a few days or a week and didn't detangle..

Humectants are another thing I'm thinking about, because I don't want my hair worse off than before. England isn't the warmest

Nonie

Humectants work well in humidity, not in warm places. So damp, wet England might be just the right condition for them to work--that is IF they work for you. There might be some people for whom they don't work.

Humectants pull moisture into themselves so as long as there's enough in the air, then they will draw it into your hair if you have them on. If you're indoors though and the air is dry and no humidifier around, humectants need their moisture still so guess where they get it from: your hair, leaving it dry.

Don't despair chicca, trial and error is how a lot of people found their staples. I would've been a PJ too if a friend wasn't treating me as her guinea pig/project and sending me samples. Then S Curl came along and I found Product Right and have never looked again.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Here are a few air drying things I've learned that works for me:
1. Moisturize/seal when wet.
2. Use scarf method to air dry to tame the hair.
3. Run fingers through hair to separate strands as hair air dries for softer hair.
4. Your leave-ins impact how your hair looks when dried.
5. Use tangle teezer to smooth the strands; Detangling while dry tames my hair.

SN: If I air dry in a bun, my hair is kind of puffy/bushy until I run the tangle teezer and/or comb through it to smooth the strands out.

ETA: I would try different leave-ins. I find that Scurl works great in the spring/summer but leaves my hair thirsty in the winter. I'm using either Giovanni Direct Leave In or kimmaytube's leave-in for winter usage.

theLovelyStyle

Okay I'll try and make this detailed since I'm going out in a bit.
My hair..

I did an overnight prepoo on wet hair with ghee, rice bran oil, and olive oil, and I rinsed that out. I then conditioned my hair with aussie moist (filtered water final rinse), then as leave-ins, I used aubrey organics b5 gel on the right side of my hair, and joico daily care conditioner on the left side of my hair. My hair was soo soft/smooth, and I actually went out last night, while it was still drying, thinking I've FINALLY 'got' my hair.

Just curious, did you use shampoo after your prepoo?

renren

Did you shampoo your hair at all?

From what I understand, pre poo is done before you use poo so that the poo would not completely strip your hair out.

When was the last time you clarified? maybe a ACV rinse might help. Im texturized as well and I have had this problem when I had product build up. Also, I have found that grease on the length of my wet hair (not scalp) gives me a nice soft airdry.

Nonie is right, trial and error is key... dont worry... U will figure it out soon. We are all here to help you.

bb09

Back!
I don't have permission to 'thank' right now.. So thanks so much so far. I'll answer now

bb09

Humectants work well in humidity, not in warm places. So damp, wet England might be just the right condition for them to work--that is IF they work for you. There might be some people for whom they don't work.

Humectants pull moisture into themselves so as long as there's enough in the air, then they will draw it into your hair if you have them on. If you're indoors though and the air is dry and no humidifier around, humectants need their moisture still so guess where they get it from: your hair, leaving it dry.

Don't despair chicca, trial and error is how a lot of people found their staples. I would've been a PJ too if a friend wasn't treating me as her guinea pig/project and sending me samples. Then S Curl came along and I found Product Right and have never looked again.
Thanks Nonie. I'm in Birmingham right now, and it isn't damp /wet. It's just cold! It's bad that I've done so much trial and error though.. I have a tonne of hair things. That's why I'm ready to start blowdrying or Something. I know my hair doesn't do well with rollersetting at alll [I posted about it in the 'ways to stretch out texlaxed hair' thread I made after I joined].

bb09

Here are a few air drying things I've learned that works for me:
1. Moisturize/seal when wet.
2. Use scarf method to air dry to tame the hair.
3. Run fingers through hair to separate strands as hair air dries for softer hair.
4. Your leave-ins impact how your hair looks when dried.
5. Use tangle teezer to smooth the strands; Detangling while dry tames my hair.

SN: If I air dry in a bun, my hair is kind of puffy/bushy until I run the tangle teezer and/or comb through it to smooth the strands out.

ETA: I would try different leave-ins. I find that Scurl works great in the spring/summer but leaves my hair thirsty in the winter. I'm using either Giovanni Direct Leave In or kimmaytube's leave-in for winter usage.
Thanks ! I'm gonna try kimmaytube's leave-in again in summer when I can use AVJ. The scarf method only works to get the top of my hair flat and smooth I've noticed, but does nothing for the ponytail

bb09

Just curious, did you use shampoo after your prepoo?
I did. Sorry to miss that out. Initally I rinsed the oils out with warm water. My hair felt soft. I used the aussie moist. My hair still felt kinda greasy, so I used a dime size amount of shampoo (taliah waajid black earth shampoo). Put conditioner over that. Rinsed. Then conditioned again.

Sheena

I used to have the same problem but I solved it by wrapping my hair when it is damp. Basically I apply a leave in and let my hair air dry loose until about 90% dry then I apply IC Aloe and a few drops of oil before I wrap the hair then tie it with a silk scarf.

You hair is longer so if you have dificulty wrapping your hair you can probably try twisting or plaiting the length.

cherxy777

what works for me is putting S-curl on dry hair, and then lightly sealing it all over with EVOO = major softness XD

I do that for the next two days after my wash.

Curlykale

hey bb09, so sorry that the antural coconctions we were talking about didn't work out... have faith and something right will come out!

B5 doesn't work for me as it has humectants, joico I've never tried.

Since you have Aussie Moist, have you ever tried to use it as a leave in since your hair seems to like it? Just another idea. You could seal with a penenetrative oil on one side and a ceramide oil on the other side to see what works, as well (i.e.. sunflower and olive).

Mine are only ideas as I don't know your hair and I use the same few things all the time but hey you never know.

bb09

I used to have the same problem but I solved it by wrapping my hair when it is damp. Basically I apply a leave in and let my hair air dry loose until about 90% dry then I apply IC Aloe and a few drops of oil before I wrap the hair then tie it with a silk scarf.

You hair is longer so if you have dificulty wrapping your hair you can probably try twisting or plaiting the length.
I tried twisting the length while it dried, and goshh:nono:, it looked horrible, and felt even worse. My hair looked ratty and felt rough. I had shrinkage to my collarbone

bb09

what works for me is putting S-curl on dry hair, and then lightly sealing it all over with EVOO = major softness XD

I do that for the next two days after my wash.
Thank you. Are you natural? The only reason I don't want to do this is my hair will either 'revert' or get drier.

I've tried wave nouveau (I know it's different, but it's still 'juice)'. Initially yeah my hair did feel nice, but after some time, my hair was dry. Looking back, maybe I should have clarified.. If I start doing braidouts or something, I'll try it again in summer.

bb09

hey bb09, so sorry that the antural coconctions we were talking about didn't work out... have faith and something right will come out!

B5 doesn't work for me as it has humectants, joico I've never tried.

Since you have Aussie Moist, have you ever tried to use it as a leave in since your hair seems to like it? Just another idea. You could seal with a penenetrative oil on one side and a ceramide oil on the other side to see what works, as well (i.e.. sunflower and olive).

Mine are only ideas as I don't know your hair and I use the same few things all the time but hey you never know.
Thanks so much Ciccina. It's just.. I can use anything in my hair, and regardless, my hair will Not be soft the next day. And I still have to really separate the strands to detangle it. I switched from the faith of nature to skala -and then the random leave-ins (gel & condish), because I still get splits. The ends of my hair still sometimes pop off, and tea tree oil is one of the ingredients -so I'm not sure if it's gonna further dry my hair out.

I'm just not sure if sealing works, because I was doing that by default all this time, and when I used a serum the last time I did my hair, it was so so frizzy. I want my hair to have the maximum amount of moisture before sealing. Maybe I was sealing at the wrong time? I did it towards the end though.. but I'm not sure if it was helping.

Ms Lala

I'm not familiar w/the products you used but check the protein in them. For some people leave-in w/protein can leave the hair feeling kind of like you described. I apply my leave in to my damp hair, putting it on while wet does nothing for me. Then I seal w/a light oil. When I don't add oil my hair usually still feels kind of dry. Also serums don't work for me for sealing either, the silicones just dry my hair more. I prefer to dry my hair in sections, I never feels good when I let it dry in one big bun. I use braids, twists, bantu knots or something of that nature.

eta: I just re-read your post and I've never used the aussie moist but you may need a better DC. My hair feels like a totally different head of hair when I use a bad DC or I don't use one at all. A good DC will set the stage for you having moisturized hair through out the week.

Last edited:

bb09

I'm not familiar w/the products you used but check the protein in them. For some people leave-in w/protein can leave the hair feeling kind of like you described. I apply my leave in to my damp hair, putting it on while wet does nothing for me. Then I seal w/a light oil. When I don't add oil my hair usually still feels kind of dry. Also serums don't work for me for sealing either, the silicones just dry my hair more. I prefer to dry my hair in sections, I never feels good when I let it dry in one big bun. I use braids, twists, bantu knots or something of that nature.

eta: I just re-read your post and I've never used the aussie moist but you may need a better DC. My hair feels like a totally different head of hair when I use a bad DC or I don't use one at all. A good DC will set the stage for you having moisturized hair through out the week.
Thanks Ms Lala. I watched your ytube vids on your wash day.. I didn't realise you were on it. They were great.

That's the thing -there is no "moisturising" leave-in for me. Nothing. I think you've recommended taliah waajid protective mist bodifier, but nope, it didn't work. EVERYTHING feels good initially (I'm not shouting). I'm wondering now what ppl are using on their hair here -in the Midlands or in London.. England in general. The weather might be a big factor.

Do you seal straight away? I've done that. My hair took longer to dry, but still came out the same -dryy once fully dry. I've tried two pigtails and it came out horrible both times I did it.

Is drying it in a hairband a nono? I just can't win my hair. It's the ponytail part that bothers me the most. I just want stretched moisturised smooth hair -as it looks while it's drying. [What do you use when straightening/blowdrying your hair?]

bb09

So for those that oil rinse, esp virtue_now(?), how did you find the perfect combo for your hair?

& can anyone direct me to (good) blowdrying tutorials? Are there any that use paddle brushes? The tension method didn't work for me.

Heat users pls answer! I just don't see a point in growing my hair /keeping it ‘healthy’, but Having to leave it in a pony that I can't even take down. I know other ppl blowdry etc and it works for them. Do I have to start a new thread?

Ms Lala

Thanks Ms Lala. I watched your ytube vids on your wash day.. I didn't realise you were on it. They were great.

That's the thing -there is no "moisturising" leave-in for me. Nothing. I think you've recommended taliah waajid protective mist bodifier, but nope, it didn't work. EVERYTHING feels good initially (I'm not shouting). I'm wondering now what ppl are using on their hair here -in the Midlands or in London.. England in general. The weather might be a big factor.

Do you seal straight away? I've done that. My hair took longer to dry, but still came out the same -dryy once fully dry. I've tried two pigtails and it came out horrible both times I did it.

Is drying it in a hairband a nono? I just can't win my hair. It's the ponytail part that bothers me the most. I just want stretched moisturised smooth hair -as it looks while it's drying. [What do you use when straightening/blowdrying your hair?]

It may be a porosity issue then. Hair that is very porous will absorb moisture quickly but also release it leaving your hair dry. Have you every done a porosity treatment? Also I rarely blowdry my hair anymore. I just hate the whole process my arms get tired and it takes so long. Plus I can get a similar look by airdrying in braids then combing my hair out. When I do blowdry I DC w/ Silk Elements Treatment. For my leave-in I use Knot Today. I then apply some type of serum/heat protectant. I do not blow dry wet hair. I towel dry and usually walk around for about 20 minutes to let my hair dry some before blowdrying.

Last edited:

g.lo

to OP, test your hair for porosity (take shed hair from brush and put in a bowl full of water, after 5 min if the hair is still floating, then it's not a porosity issue).
i had a bad case of protein overload two weeks ago, i Dc several time, moisture on a daily basis but still nothing worked:nono:, my hair was crispy and just laughed at me!
this tuesday i tried the rhassoul clay, mixed it with coconut milk, few oil and left it on my hair for over an hour, then rince and conditioned my hair and bingo:drunk:, back to normal!!!
I will agree with Nonie, keep it simple and don't use to many product at once.
I am from coventry and my hair love glycerin, i always mix it with my deep condioner.
have tried bagging with oil?

virtuenow

So for those that oil rinse, esp virtue_now(?), how did you find the perfect combo for your hair?

& can anyone direct me to (good) blowdrying tutorials? Are there any that use paddle brushes? The tension method didn't work for me.

Heat users pls answer! I just don't see a point in growing my hair /keeping it ‘healthy’, but Having to leave it in a pony that I can't even take down. I know other ppl blowdry etc and it works for them. Do I have to start a new thread?

Oil rinses are better to me than any shampoo or conditioner has ever been. I just tried them for the first time recently after battling dry/crispy hair for all my years as natural. Being fed up, and thinking of drastic measures, I was willing to try anything. My hair always airdried hard as a rock, even after trying acv rinses and "top of the line" products, (and mixing butters oils into conditioners or straight up--which do help but not like oil rinses).

Balancing your moisture/protein is really what will help with your porosity issues (since it sounds like this is the problem). Oil rinses, in particular can help you to hold and retain moisture better.

I do them with castor oil; and I'm still new to this, but you have to do trial and error on how much oil to use; and how much to rinse out. If you are straightening afterwards, then you may want to do a thorough rinse. That's what I do when I plan to straighten. I blowdry after almost every wash. The oil rinses have given me the best flat iron job I ever had; and the most moist hair ever (whether airdrying or blowdrying). I could never say this from just throwing product on my hair after I wash. Its something about this process that gets in the cuticle and softens it...:yep:...You can go days w/o adding moissture. This is unheard of w/my 4b dry hair.

I do the oil rinse after shampooing (which I may be giving up soon-since shampoo strips my hair); I do them before conditioning; or after conditioning. I may be trying them alone as I've heard some get good results from that.

Make sure u rinse the oil w/hot water. So far every way I've tried it has been great. I usually sit under the dryer for 10-15min when the oil is on my hair. This has become my deep conditioner. Other times I rinse it right off (like 30 sec to two min after I put it on). Its a really simple step that you can add into your wash/co-wash day regimin w/really any oil. you can easily try it and decide if this is for you! I do them everytime i wet my hair.

Note, you have to find the right oil that works for you though. I can't see anything being better than my beloved castor oil, though! Some love olive oil or grapeseed and other oils. I'm gonna mix some sesame seed oil w/my castor oil today for my rinse.

Wow, this is really getting long. I just love talking about oil rinses!

Here is the thread that helped me get started:
Read here: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/hair-care-tips-product-review-discussion/150965-dont-sleep-oil-rinses.html

Last edited: