What do Ceramides do for you?

abcd09

I'm interested in learning about ceramides and how they help with hair. Can you tell me what they do for you and whether not you've seen any differences using them?

Minty

oh I don't know. I guess I was hoping it would help keep breakage away. It doesn't do that. It doesn't offer much support at the line of demarcation either. My hair is smooth and I do not suffer from excessive breakage, but I don't want ANY broken strands (unrealistic I know).

What I have noticed: at around 5-6 weeks post I'd start suffering from chronically dry and crackly looking ends. I mean crunchy dry, especially when I'd take down my bun and my hair was already bent from being in the bun. When I'd finger detangle, I'd have short strand broken hairs and bent hairs.

When I started using Redken Anti-Snap (off and on since '02), the severity of this problem was alleviated slightly, but not completely. I was doing HOT w/olive oil and had good hair practices but I still had this problem.

It wasn't until I started using rice bran, meadowfoam seed, sunflower, hemp seed, and a few others that I noticed - the pliability of my hair is completely different.

Leave-ins are an option, but not necessary

I don't suffer from dry ends anymore.

I hope it helps.

Last edited:

SouthernStunner

My 13yr old Men
Ceramides are the "glue" that bind the cuticle and the cortex of the hair together. It does help in the prevention of split ends.

Here is a list of some ceramide oil and there percentages:

Safflower oil 78%

Grape seed oil 73%

Poppy seed oil 70%

Sunflower oil 68%

Hemp oil 60%

Corn oil 59%

Wheat germ oil 55%

Cottonseed oil 54%

Soybean oil 51%

Walnut oil 51%

Sesame oil 45%

Rice bran oil 39%

Pistachio oil 32.7%

Peanut oil 32%

Canola oil 21%

Egg yolk 16%

Linseed oil 15%

Lard 10%

Olive oil 10%

Palm oil 10%

Cocoa butter 3%

Macadamia oil 2%

Butter 2%

Last edited:

lp318lp

There is a peer-reviewed, scientific document that reports how and why ceramides benefit African textured hair. I discovered the material while attending an online class. I'm on my smartphone right now, but will post it as soon as I get to my computer. Hope this helps!!

me~:rolleyes:

kaykaybobay

I want no more breakage - I am natural with many splits I do not know why either. Starting to use grapeseed oil has a high ceramide level. I really hope it helps. I am retaining length but the splits and broken c shaped hairs drive me mad.

ebonyseas

Posted by Reecie:

WHAT ARE CERAMIDES??
If you have never tried ceramides, you are missing out. Ceramides are essential to the cohesion of the cuticle and maintenance of its protective effect for the hair shaft. Ceramides are known to protect and/or repair the hair fibers from or after attack by blowdriers, flatirons, and everyday wear and tear. In particular, ceramides limit the loss of protein, which gives the hair more strength and liveliness.

HYDROLIZED WHEAT PROTEIN IS NOT A CERAMIDE. CERAMIDES ARE NOT A PROTEIN!

OILS CONTAINING CERAMIDES:

Barley Malt Oil
Eucalyptus Extract
Hemp Seed Oil
Hot 6 Oil *{WGO/3rd ingredient}*(LaFemmeNaturelle)
Kukui Oil
Sunflower Oil
Walnut Oil
Wheat Germ Oil

PRODUCTS CONTAINING CERAMIDES:
Aubrey Organics Products
BPT Wheat Germ Conditioner
Claudie's Hair Revitalizer Growth Elixir (LaidBak)
Claudie's Hair Revitalizer Ends Insurance(LaidBak)
Crece Pelo Leave-In
Creme of Nature (Green Bottle/Old Formula) (Mzsophisticated26)
Garnier Fructis Instant Melting Strength and Repair Masque
Hask Cerafix
Ion Moisturizing Treatment (FlowinLocks)
Jane Carter's Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner
Joico K-Pak Reconstructor
Kan Kanechomn Ceramide Deep Conditioning Cream
L'Oreal Elvive Nutri-Ceramide Deep Repair Concentrate
L'Oreal Serle Expert Liss Starter Ionene G + Ceramide Pre-Smoothing Treatment
Lustrasilk Cholesterol(FlowinLocks)
Lustrasilk Shea Butter(FlowinLocks)
Lustrasilk Mango(FlowinLocks)
Matrix Biolage Cera-Repair
Matrix Biolage Fortifying conditioner
Matrix Biolage Cera-Repair Hydratherapie
Miss Key 10 en 1 Conditioner
Mizani Therma Smooth
Nexxus Aloe Rid
Nexxus Botanic Oil Shampoo
Nexxus Headdress
Nexxus Humectress
Nexxus Keraphix
Nexxus Therappe
Optimum Care Anti-Breakage Therapy Stay Strong Shampoo(NJoy)
Optimum Care Anti-Breakage Therapy Stay Strong Conditioner (NJoy)
Optimum Care Anti-Breakage Therapy Leave-in Ultimate Strengthener (NJoy)
Optimum Care Anti-Breakage Therapy Split End Reconstructor (NJoy)
Optimum Care Anti-Breakage Therapy Cream Hairdress (NJoy)
Optimum Care Anti-Breakage Therapy Featherlight Hairdress (NJoy)
ORS Hair Mayonaise (New Formula *WGO*) (Sondice)
Proclaim Aloe Hot Oil (FlowinLocks)
Proclaim Natural 7 Oil (FlowinLocks)
Proclaim Natural Olive Oil (FlowinLocks)
Redken Extreme Conditioner
Redken Extreme Rescue Force
Redken Extreme Anti-Snap
Redken 07 (Cutenss)
Salerm Wheat Germ Conditioner
Satinique Products (FlowinLocks)
Sedal Products
Shalmi Vadhera Coconut Alma Revitalizing Hair Treatment (Cutenss)
Shey Butter Oil (Sally's) (Mzsophisticated26)
Silicon Mix Proteina de Perla (Pearl Protein) Leave-In
Silicon Mix Conditioner
Silicon Mix Leave-in
Skala Ceramide 3 Conditioner (Brazilian)
Softsheen Carson Breakthru Anti-Breakage - Protecting Foam
Softsheen Carson Breakthru Anti-Breakage - Fortifying Moisturizing Shampoo
Taliah Waajid Enhancing Herbal Conditioner
TIGI Serious Conditioner (SouthernStunner)

RELAXERS CONTAINING CERAMIDES:
Optimum Care Anti-Breakage Therapy Relaxer System (NJoy)

HYDROLIZED WHEAT PROTEIN IS NOT A CERAMIDE. CERAMIDES ARE NOT A PROTEIN!

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Consistent use of ceramides has helped reduce the porosity and increase elasticity of my coarse hair. My hair is smoother, shinier, holds moisture longer and more pliable. Relaxer stretching has become alot easier as well my NG has become alot more agreeable. I use rice bran and hemp seed oils in the form of pre-shampoo treatments and sealing.

I documented results from consistently using ceramides for 3 months here

janda

While I don't have documented proof, I think ceramides have really helped me retaiin lenghth. I have been using wheat germ oil for the past couple of months to seal my hair at night.

Aireen

I know you can buy safflower and sunflower oil at the grocery, can you buy grapeseed oil there too or only at natural food stores? These are the three oils I'm interested in buying to add ceremides into my regimen, does anyone know which of the three has the highest content?

cia_garces

I know you can buy safflower and sunflower oil at the grocery, can you buy grapeseed oil there too or only at natural food stores? These are the three oils I'm interested in buying to add ceremides into my regimen, does anyone know which of the three has the highest content?

There MIGHT be a grocery store that carries it, but I think you'd save yourself some searching time if you just went to a natural food store to get it. Ironically, I was JUST at Whole Foods picking up some jojoba oil. I'm kinda wishing I'd picked up the grapeseed oil instead....ESPECIALLY since it was half the price of the jojoba oil. :perplexed *shrug* Oh well. I'll get it on the next trip.:drunk:

princesslocks

Consistent use of ceramides has helped reduce the porosity and increase elasticity of my coarse hair. My hair is smoother, shinier, holds moisture longer and more pliable. Relaxer stretching has become alot easier as well my NG has become alot more agreeable. I use rice bran and hemp seed oils in the form of pre-shampoo treatments and sealing.

I documented results from consistently using ceramides for 3 months here

Your buns are beautiful. I bought all 3 oils.

Renee29

I've read that grapeseed has the highest ceramide content. I purchased mine at the grocery store. I too have noticed suggnificant improvement since using them. I've been rotating hemp, rice bran, grape and wheat germ :grin:

lushcoils

I just started a few days ago using Hot 6 oil as part of my deep conditioner which has several ceradmide oils in it. So far so good. My hair dries softer than it ever has before. And it smells really good too. I'm trying to avoid stinky products so that's why I didn't get the hemp or wheat germ by itself.

southerncitygirl

i couldn't figure out why i liked ao products so much for so long but now i realize it was the ceramides....i'm natural but i feel my hair is smooth, strong, and less prone to splits/breakage. i don't have any issues with dryness either.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I don't see any noticeable differences, but since science seems to support it, I add ceramides to my conditioners. Its all cool.

darlingdiva

This has been posted on the board already, but listed below are the oils that contain ceramides and the percentage of ceramides that are in the oils.

Safflower oil 78%
Grape seed oil 73%
Poppyseed oil 70%
Sunflower oil 68%
Hemp oil 60%
Corn oil 59%
Wheat germ oil 55%
Cottonseed oil 54%
Soybean oil 51%
Walnut oil 51%
Sesame oil 45%
Rice bran oil 39%
Pistachio oil 32.7%
Peanut oil 32% [17]
Canola oil 21%
Egg yolk 16%
Linseed oil 15%
Lard 10%
Olive oil 10%
Palm oil 10%
Cocoa butter 3%
Macadamia oil 2%
Butter 2%
Coconut oil 2%

Aireen

Wow, love this thread so informative. Definitely putting one of these oils on a list of products to try. Ugh LHCF is making my PJism worse and worse! Darn you! :lol:

ETA: @darlingdiva Thank you so much for re-posting! Sometimes it's more convenient than searching through a bunch of threads. Definitely subscribing to this thread now. :grin:

Last edited:

Aireen

Oh and since I was planning to buy one of the 3 oils Safflower, Sunflower, or Grapeseed, is there anything I should know in terms of what to buy? Is there Virgin, Extra Virgin, Refined, Unrefined, Pure? I know Extra Virgin and Virgin are the best to buy but what's the difference between Refined, Unrefined, and Pure? Sorry I'm not big on oils in my regime so it's not my area of expertise.

Last edited:

SouthernStunner

My 13yr old Men

Hey, I edited my post on the first page to list some oil and there percentages.

EMJazzy

Happily retired
I'm in LadyP's wig challenge....when I platt my hair I seal with jbco and wheatgerm oil, when I took them down to wash, my hair felt like :lick: :lovedrool: my hair never felt that way prior to using that combo. :yep:

Sent from my DROIDX using Long Hair Care Forum App

QueenFee

is the L'Oreal Elvive Nutri-Ceramide discontinued or something? I googled it and came up with much of nothing!

abcd09

I put sesame in my hair last night after reading this, and it does feel and look less dry than beforehand. but i smell like i've been sweating for days without showering. :ohwell:

virtuenow

I put sesame in my hair last night after reading this, and it does feel and look less dry than beforehand. but i smell like i've been sweating for days without showering. :ohwell:

how did u use it? did u just simply coat it on? perhaps u should do an oil rinse as i posted above

PPGbubbles

My natural hair was very dull before using ceramides, now it as a sheen to it

My hair is smoother and not not snap as easy. The ends of my hair are much smoother.

I started off religiously using Wheat germ oil but I cannot stand the smell. I used lemongrass and orange oil to mask it but I just decided it wasnt worth the hassle lol

so now I use ricebran oil and I still see the sheen and notice benefits and the plus is the fact that ricebran oil is much easier to wash out than Wheat Germ oil.

I credit using oil as a pre-poo (grapeseed or Coconut) and ceramides in my DCs for my current length retention. It has made my hair much easier to deal with and has cut my wash/ detangling sessions in half