Hair Shedding / Thinning

chicha

Hello forum,

I joined to get help with my hair fall out. It's internal, androgenic alopecia, like the girl version of Male Pattern Baldness.

A friend recommended the topical version of a medicine call Topical Spironolactone or Topical Ketoconazole cream (Nizoral Rx strength).

Has anyone used either of them? If not what has helped you?

Last edited:

Mrs. Verde

Hi ~ I take you have seen a dermatologist for your hair loss? I don't know if this will work but many women have had success with postpartum shedding using the following:
  • Unsweetened black tea rinses - boil 4/5 bags of tea. Let the tea steep for a few hours. Rinse your hair with the tea. Obviously, only rinse with cold tea.
  • Black coffee rinses - make a double pot of coffee. Wait until cool, rinse hair.
  • Garlic conditioner washes - Nutrine and Alter Ego have unscented garlic conditioner
  • Taking garlic supplements - garlic thins the blood be careful when using.

I hope these help, good luck.

chicha

Sounds like some good ideas.

I tried the garlic as told to me on another site and also the coffee but it only made my hair hard. Teehee I'm a hard one to crack. But thanks just the same.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
Have you seen a dermatologist? Before resorting to extreme measures, consider getting a proper diagnosis first. That should help you take the appropriate action.

If homemade remedies suit your fancy, be sure to give them amply time to work. When I had a small shedding phase, I found rosemary infused tea rinses helpful.

Pompous Blue

Have you seen a dermatologist? Before resorting to extreme measures, consider getting a proper diagnosis first. That should help you take the appropriate action.

If homemade remedies suit your fancy, be sure to give them amply time to work. When I had a small shedding phase, I found rosemary infused tea rinses helpful.
@ the bolded She said in the OP that she has internal, androgenic alopecia.

IA w/the coffee rinses and will go a bit further and add coffee oil treatments. I don't have alopecia but do hot oil treatments with coffee oil. The caffeine in coffee is helpful in removing DHT from the scalp.

chicha

Man I'm so glad I joined here. All of you are so kind and informational.

@ the bolded She said in the OP that she has internal, androgenic alopecia.

IA w/the coffee rinses and will go a bit further and add coffee oil treatments. I don't have alopecia but do hot oil treatments with coffee oil. The caffeine in coffee is helpful in removing DHT from the scalp.

Mzteaze I'm been diagnosed with androgenic alopecia. Pompous Blue you are right. It's a dht/androgen hormone problem.

Coffee oil wow I was just thinking after reading DaDragonPrincess's posts if only I had the caffeine in an oil formula I could oil my scalp daily. Oh my God this sounds like the perfect help! Where do I get it? Does it really work to lessen hair fall out? How often do you use it?

SelfStyled

Hi Chicha,

I too have Androgenetic Alopecia- so I can understand your frustrations. I have not tried the two things that you have suggested, but I do take oral spironolactone, that was prescribed by my Derm. As others have suggested, anything that can help us produce less DHT is good for those with AA.

While I am frustrated that I have not reached my hair length goals, I thank God that I have hair on my head! I thought I was going to lose all of my hair at one time. The spiro really slowed down my hair loss. My hair has stabilized since I have been here, but for some reason this past winter I have been going through some serious shedding. PLEASE try the Black Tea Rinse, I tried it my last wash and have only shedded 10 hairs the past 4 days. I wish that I tried this sooner.

Look for products that contain green tea, nettle, emu oil or coffee as these are all natural DHT blockers. You can also do rinses with nettle tea or coffee. Also if your edges are receding Jamaican Black Castor oil works wonders. My hairline has progressed so much from a mixture of the JBCO+emu oil:
Photo: edges comparison | My hair album | SelfStyled | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.

Welcome to the board! If I can do anything to help you at all-please let me know.

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

Hi, OP, check out Alopecia Survivor's thread...a lot of us have posted what works for us. It's truly trial and error. I made my own coffee oil by brewing coffee in olive oil...i poured olive oil and coffee in a glass jar and placed it in a crock pot. I've found it to be effective, only thing is, i product jump. I hop around and need to stick to one thing that works, ya know?

You'll get a lot of help/support here. You will overcome this.
Blessings,
~B*

Pompous Blue

Pompous, where do you get your coffee oil?

Man I'm so glad I joined here. All of you are so kind and informational.

Mzteaze I'm been diagnosed with androgenic alopecia. Pompous Blue you are right. It's a dht/androgen hormone problem.

Coffee oil wow I was just thinking after reading DaDragonPrincess's posts if only I had the caffeine in an oil formula I could oil my scalp daily. Oh my God this sounds like the perfect help! Where do I get it? Does it really work to lessen hair fall out? How often do you use it?

After reading a couple of threads on LHCF about the benefits of coffee rinses and how the caffeine helps to wash away DHT from the scalp, I bought some coffee oil from fromnaturewithlove.com in 2009. I added it to my DC and massage my scalp with it for a pre-poo treatment (let it stay on from 1 – 6 hrs). That 4 oz. jar is expensive and I wanted it to last.

I mentioned my wash-day routine in the Use 1 Buy 1 Thread and Ltown posted a website she found a recipe for making your own coffee oil. I made some and it turned out great. It yielded 24 oz. and I not only massage it on my scalp, I work it throughout my hair (coffee oil is very moisturizing) and steam with it for 30 minutes.

This recipe is sooo easy. The next time I make it, I want to use camellia oil. I would love to use EVCO but it turns solid at room temperature and I don’t want to melt it every time I want to use it. I, also, made mine with espresso coffee. I guess it was my time to make the coffee ‘cause I got it during a B1G1 sale at the grocery store. I bought 4 (got 8) pkgs. I heard coffee was going way up in pricing in 2011….LOL.
How to Make Coffee Oil | eHow.com

Roasted Coffee Oil - FNWL

BTW, I use it as a pre-poo before every shampoo. I shampoo twice a week.

I thought about buying a coffee butter, but I couldn’t find out how much coffee is in the butter (they all seem to be made with vegetable oil). “Caffeine” is the ingredient that gets rid of the DHT and I wanted the maximum, concentrated amount in my oil.

Pompous Blue

Hi Chicha,

I too have Androgenetic Alopecia- so I can understand your frustrations. I have not tried the two things that you have suggested, but I do take oral spironolactone, that was prescribed by my Derm. As others have suggested, anything that can help us produce less DHT is good for those with AA.

While I am frustrated that I have not reached my hair length goals, I thank God that I have hair on my head! I thought I was going to lose all of my hair at one time. The spiro really slowed down my hair loss. My hair has stabilized since I have been here, but for some reason this past winter I have been going through some serious shedding. PLEASE try the Black Tea Rinse, I tried it my last wash and have only shedded 10 hairs the past 4 days. I wish that I tried this sooner.

Look for products that contain green tea, nettle, emu oil or coffee as these are all natural DHT blockers. You can also do rinses with nettle tea or coffee. Also if your edges are receding Jamaican Black Castor oil works wonders. My hairline has progressed so much from a mixture of the JBCO+emu oil:
Photo: edges comparison | My hair album | SelfStyled | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.

Welcome to the board! If I can do anything to help you at all-please let me know.
My final rinse is with a combination of black, nettle and horsetail teas with ACV. I do this after every wash and 2010 is the 1st yr. I did not go through my annual Fall-time excessive shedding. This is a keeper and will always be in my regimen.
Hi, OP, check out Alopecia Survivor's thread...a lot of us have posted what works for us. It's truly trial and error. I made my own coffee oil by brewing coffee in olive oil...i poured olive oil and coffee in a glass jar and placed it in a crock pot. I've found it to be effective, only thing is, i product jump. I hop around and need to stick to one thing that works, ya know?

You'll get a lot of help/support here. You will overcome this.
Blessings,
~B*
You're right Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll. Consistency is the key. I find the tea rinses and coffee oil pre-poos are working for me.

Although I do not have alopecia, my mother's crown is totally bald with a few wispy hairs and she's 35 years older than me. If this is hereditary, I want to get a jump on this female pattern baldness before it's too late.

Thanks to everyone for your input of what works!

SelfStyled

I love your reggie Pompous- that mixture of teas sounds great!

Thanks for the link re the coffee oil too! I cannot get with FNWL prices- you ladies rock!!

Chicha- one other thing that can help with shedding is garlic tablets too.

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

Man, I was right on it, for making my own coffee oil. And to think, I just brainstormed this idea - figured it would work- and it was online all this time, lol.
For those not wanting to click the link ... I bought all those teas for rinses as well and just dropped off. Consistency in 2011 is my new mantra!!

1)Pour 2 cups of olive oil into a small crock pot. Add 2 oz. of coffee beans; the beans can be either green or roasted. Cover and cook on low for roughly six hours, making sure to stir the mixture every couple of hours.
2)Strain the oil by pouring it through a kitchen strainer to remove the coffee beans. Toss the used beans in the trash. Pour the remaining oil through a cheesecloth two or three times, to filter it and make it as pure as possible.
3)Pour the coffee oil into small, airtight glass containers. For pure oil, 2-oz. containers work well.

Read more: How to Make Coffee Oil | eHow.com How to Make Coffee Oil | eHow.com

Pompous Blue

I love your reggie Pompous- that mixture of teas sounds great!

Thanks for the link re the coffee oil too! I cannot get with FNWL prices- you ladies rock!!

Chicha- one other thing that can help with shedding is garlic tablets too.
@ the bolded - Me, neither! That's why I'm glad I make my own.
Man, I was right on it, for making my own coffee oil. And to think, I just brainstormed this idea - figured it would work- and it was online all this time, lol.
For those not wanting to click the link ... I bought all those teas for rinses as well and just dropped off. Consistency in 2011 is my new mantra!!

1)Pour 2 cups of olive oil into a small crock pot. Add 2 oz. of coffee beans; the beans can be either green or roasted. Cover and cook on low for roughly six hours, making sure to stir the mixture every couple of hours.
2)Strain the oil by pouring it through a kitchen strainer to remove the coffee beans. Toss the used beans in the trash. Pour the remaining oil through a cheesecloth two or three times, to filter it and make it as pure as possible.
3)Pour the coffee oil into small, airtight glass containers. For pure oil, 2-oz. containers work well.

Read more: How to Make Coffee Oil | eHow.com How to Make Coffee Oil | eHow.com
@ the bolded - I make a couple of gallons of each tea, pour equal parts into plastic orange juice jars and freeze them. I have about 8 stored in the freezer. On wash day, I take one out to thaw and add ACV to it once its thawed. If I had to make these teas every time I washed my hair, it wouldn't get done. So I started freezing the teas for convenience which keeps me consistent.

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

Brilliant, Pompous Blue ^. I think i'll pour my teas into ziploc baggies and freeze. I'll pour just enough into each bag for one use. That should do it. Thanks, bunches.

SelfStyled, thanks for the tips on dht blockers. I'm saving this for future reference. Man, I wanna try topical spiro - bad, man, bad...

chicha

Wow. The wealth of info in here is surprising. I've read some things the posters here provide but this is by far better than any other forum I've been on. Thank u so much.

Dog I gotta go somethin jus came up. Will be bakc n answer questions alter.

FocusLady

Anybody make the coffee oil? I want to make some today, maybe. I have some coffee and olive oil that I'm not using.

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

I used coffee oil on my scalp after posting ^^^^^^. Man, I think i over-did it, because i had a terr-i-ble headache. I-yay-yay....proceed with caution. I am VERY heavy-handed. I use a ton of product. So, for those of you just starting out with this, use it in one small area to determine your body's reaction. I also did NOT rinse it out.

~B*

chicha

Girlies I tried the coffee oil and it worked! But only for that 1 day. Looks like it reduces shedding for me for the next day only. I'm going to try again and report.

I purchased light roast, grounded coffee grinds.
I used seseme oil because it's said to penetrate the skin easily.
Put both in slow cooker overnight.

drained with a mini strainer.

Used it to oil my hair and massage my scalp.
Put scarf on overnight.

next day I lost say 20 hairs instead of (Correction) 180.

Hey u try and let me know how it goes. We've got to keep trying til something happens! :)

Last edited:

Mrs. Verde

Girlies I tried the coffee oil and it worked! But only for that 1 day. Looks like it reduces shedding for me for the next day only. I'm going to try again and report.

I purchased light roast, grounded coffee grinds.
I used seseme oil because it's said to penetrate the skin easily.
Put both in slow cooker overnight.

drained with a mini strainer.

Used it to oil my hair and massage my scalp.
Put scarf on overnight.

next day I lost say 20 hairs instead of 30.

Hey u try and let me know how it goes. We've got to keep trying til something happens! :)

Most people have to tea/coffee rinse a few times for the shedding to stop. I would try it 2-3 times a week. Follow with a moisturizing deep conditioner.

beana

There's a lot of great info in this thread! thanks for posting OP and those who responded. My hair's density seems to have decreased in the past few years and I plan to incorporate weekly black tea rinses, castor oil scalp massages, and possibly monthly henna treatments to overcome my fine strands/medium density issue.

chicha

You are welcome beana and to all who have responded.

Since it works well for 1 day only, I'm trying to increase the caffeine content. Caffeine in the tea and coffee is what slows down hair shedding.

So I'm taking the coffee oil and using it to steep more coffee to see if it yields more caffeine.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
You are welcome beana and to all who have responded.

Since it works well for 1 day only, I'm trying to increase the caffeine content. Caffeine in the tea and coffee is what slows down hair shedding.

So I'm taking the coffee oil and using it to steep more coffee to see if it yields more caffeine.

Are you seeing results with the coffee oil?

chicha

I'm seeing next day results with the coffee oil.

I'm also using Spearmint Tea to curb the acne and it is working fab!

The same hormones that causes my hair loss causes huge acnes bumps under the skin.