Long Hair Care Forum
Home Rules Feature Of The Month !! SUBSCRIBE !! Reviews iSpy Blogs Groups Contact Us

Go Back   Long Hair Care Forum > Long Hair Care Forum's Discussion Boards > Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-03-2010, 06:24 PM
Quita3514 Quita3514 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 106
Thanks: 11
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default When should you do hard protein treatment right before or after your relaxer?

I have been using a fair amount of heat on my hair and I'm about to relax at 8 weeks post and I was wondering if protein builds the hair up wouldn't it be more sensible to do a hard aphogee protein treatment right after your relaxer since the protein bonds have been broken down? But I've heard you're supposed to do them right before a relaxer..idk does anyone know?

www.startinfromsquareone.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-03-2010, 08:36 PM
Quita3514 Quita3514 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 106
Thanks: 11
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default

Soooooo...no one has ever did a protein treatment b4?

www.startinfromsquareone.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-03-2010, 08:52 PM
Americka's Avatar
Americka Americka is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Seceding from the Union :(
Posts: 5,131
Blog Entries: 6
Thanks: 38,355
Thanked 8,518 Times in 1,920 Posts
Mentioned: 298 Post(s)
Tagged: 94 Thread(s)
Default Re: When should you do hard protein treatment right before or after your relaxer?

It depends on the individual. Some folks do a hard protein treatment the week prior to relaxing and some do it the week after. Some do both. I think a solid argument can be made for either choice.
__________________

Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Americka For This Useful Post:
IDareT'sHair (12-03-2010), jahzyira (12-03-2010), LushLox (12-03-2010)
  #4  
Old 12-03-2010, 09:15 PM
Leonine523 Leonine523 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 188
Thanks: 614
Thanked 60 Times in 11 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Default Re: When should you do hard protein treatment right before or after your relaxer?

I do a hard protein (Aphogee) treatment one week before I relax, the last wash/condition session before relaxing. Then I do another hard protein treatment the first wash after relaxing which is usually four days to one week after I my touch up. I also do a mid-step protein treatment (Aphogee 2 min) after I relax and before I neutralize. My 4a/4b loves its protein!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-03-2010, 09:17 PM
lovelexi lovelexi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 688
Thanks: 60
Thanked 145 Times in 75 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Default Re: When should you do hard protein treatment right before or after your relaxer?

My hair is 4a with fine strands my hair needs the extra protein so I do a hard protein a week before a relaxer and about a week after. Logically it seems to make sense to do it after but my purpose of doing it before is to add extra protection to the strands. And I do it after to bring my hair back into shape. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to this question.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-03-2010, 09:19 PM
IDareT'sHair IDareT'sHair is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hiding in My Stash
Posts: 51,234
Thanks: 93,040
Thanked 107,406 Times in 36,079 Posts
Mentioned: 14066 Post(s)
Tagged: 85 Thread(s)
Default Re: When should you do hard protein treatment right before or after your relaxer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americka View Post
It depends on the individual. Some folks do a hard protein treatment the week prior to relaxing and some do it the week after. Some do both. I think a solid argument can be made for either choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonine523 View Post
I do a hard protein (Aphogee) treatment one week before I relax, the last wash/condition session before relaxing. Then I do another hard protein treatment the first wash after relaxing which is usually four days to one week after I my touch up. I also do a mid-step protein treatment (Aphogee 2 min) after I relax and before I neutralize. My 4a/4b loves its protein!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelexi View Post
My hair is 4a with fine strands my hair needs the extra protein so I do a hard protein a week before a relaxer and about a week after. Logically it seems to make sense to do it after but my purpose of doing it before is to add extra protection to the strands. And I do it after to bring my hair back into shape. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to this question.
What they all Said. 1 Week before and 1 Week After. (I also do a mid-protein step after relaxing prior to neutralizing).
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IDareT'sHair For This Useful Post:
Americka (12-03-2010), jahzyira (12-03-2010), LushLox (12-03-2010)
  #7  
Old 12-03-2010, 09:21 PM
LushLox LushLox is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: London
Posts: 4,252
Thanks: 1,577
Thanked 3,273 Times in 883 Posts
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Default Re: When should you do hard protein treatment right before or after your relaxer?

For me it is best to do it a week before my relaxer as a preventative measure. My hair is too fine and vulnerable to do a hard protein treatment one week post relaxer. The light/medium proteins serves this purpose well for me.
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LushLox For This Useful Post:
Americka (12-03-2010), IDareT'sHair (12-03-2010), rosalindb (12-04-2010), vtoodler (12-31-2011)
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



» Advertisment

» Advertisment

» Advertisment

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright © 2002-2011, Long Hair Care Forum™, LLC.
Site Maintenance Nikos Dimopoulos - www.niden.net