Brazilian Keratin Treatment-- I need your help!

Have you successfully tried a BKT treatment?

• Yes and had unsuccessful results

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KaramelDiva1978

I know there we have a lengthy support thread on BKT's, but I'm a little anxious while I'm skimming and looking for some answers. After reading the first few pages of the BKT thread last week, I was "sold" that I wanted to get this treatment in January and rock it until early Spring. I had a good convo with a girlfriend who is growing out a relaxer and just had one done in New Orleans a month or so ago and is still loving the results.

I had been going to a very reputable stylist here in town until I cut off my relaxed hair in May and only maintain and style it myself. However, my daughter still goes and I trust them implicitly because they use quality products and will tell you how to care for and maintain healthy hair. On Tuesday afternoon I sent my stylist a text asking for the BKT at his salon, he texted later to come by and he would tell me more about it.

Long story short, he was approached with introducing it to the salon about two years and was leary of it, so he opted not to try it. Recently, there has been an overwhelming request and he and some of the other stylists started to look into offering the service and product. Of course, number one was the formaldehyde and aldehyde formulas which they do not feel are healthy options to expose women to regarding of the strength levels and other non-"hyde" formulas contain a "cousin" that will do the same straightening with higher chemical levels.

This is what prompted my research though, he said that the keratin treatment coats the hair and does not allow anything else to penetrate, hence the reason that the hair does not take in humidity and revert. So since the keratin bonds with the hair, no deep conditioning or other products can penetrate the hair and keep it from being dry and brittle and highly prone to breakage and damage. :blush:

Ladies, have you all found any research that supports this? I have found a few websites that talk about the unhealthiness of the product and an article that Allure magazine published, but I want to know what the results of the use of others has been. It seems a lot of you have tried it out and if there is some type of brand or formula that is au naturale and healthy, I want to try and request it. The main focus of LHCF is healthy, thriving hair, so I trust and have seen that when we believe in a process, we will usually find a product that makes it work.

Sorry so long, but looking for help.

TIA

girlyprincess23

I have been using it for quite a while now and my hair has never ever been dehydrated. If anything it has remained hydrated, smooth, soft, and silky. More so than at any other time, so I do not agree with his reasoning. A couple of things I would ask would be if that is true how do people's hair curl back up after they wash it? Also if nothing can get in I assume nothing can get out either, so what happened to the moisture that is trapped in there that was there before the treatment was applied. I personally don't think his assessment of the situation is entirely correct. I think it does coat the hairshaft with keratin which provides it with strength and flexibility but not to the degree and rigidity he is assuming. I believe it can be penetrated it just takes a little longer. I think this is evidenced by the fact that after a certain amount of water is put on it it WILL curl back up, albeit with less frizz.

KaramelDiva1978

Girlyprincess23,
That's what I was looking for, personal testimonials and another perspective. As for the curls coming back, I thought surely BKT was a temporary process, but it simply lasted longer than a relaxer. However, if you look at the BKT support thread, some people have said you can have overprocessing resulting in bone straight hair. I'm really confused as to how this process works. So does it eventually wash out? If it does, you're right, it wouldn't result in impermeable hair.

I'm highly interested and on the fence at the same time, I've come across research with positive and negative results.

Thanks so much for commenting! I'm very glad BKT has worked for your hair.

lilikoi

There's a lot of alarming (and true) and inflammatory (not true) information about BKT, but also a lot of misconceptions. It's erroneous to think that BKT is some sort of impermeable shrink-wrap around each strand. Not so. There's keratin filling in gaps and fissures on the strand, and additional keratin+hair polymers formed by the formaldehyde that help make the hair straighter. Most formulas (coppola, dre@m H@ir, and Global come to mind) also contain cones, which add gloss and protect from reversion by leaving a baked-in thin coating on the hair.

That said, it's nonsense to say nothing penetrates the hair. if that was true the hair wouldn't get wet!

I think there are many things to ponder before deciding to do BKT (or any other chemical process). There are potential adverse health effects, and a possibility of hair damage (mostly due to the high heat) but there are measures that can be taken to avoid a bad outcome.

I take the potential formaldehyde health risks seriously, and take all necessary precautions to avoid unnecessary exposure ( inhalation or dermal) and feel comfortable with my decision. I really worry more about salon workers who are exposed more frequently and at higher concentrations.

As far as hair damage goes, I damaged my hair with my first and second treatment (my relaxed end couldn't take 450ºF!) but after much trimming (I'm now relaxer-free-yay!), TLC, and additional BKTs my hair is finally in a good shape.I reported my latest treatment here
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/hair-care-tips-product-review-discussion/501396-check-out-my-awesome-type-4-hair-bkt-results-many-pictures.html

I can't imagine an easier transition from relaxers than with BKT.:yep:

P.S. BTW, my 4 a/b hair does not stay straight--just add water and the coils are back!

Last edited:

lilikoi

However, if you look at the BKT support thread, some people have said you can have over-processing resulting in bone straight hair.
I have mentioned over-processsing before. It's not like a relaxer where just one treatment can over relax. With BKT it happens gradually, with repeated treatments.
To my knowledge BKT can only give bone straight results if (1) your original texture is not very tightly coiled and your hair is fine, (2) you're previously texlaxed or (3) if you treat the same hair multiple times (some avoid loosening their texture too much by doing "roots-only treatments).

I'm really confused as to how this process works. So does it eventually wash out? If it does, you're right, it wouldn't result in impermeable hair.
Yes, it eventually washes out, especially if you shampoo often. I've never let mine completely reverse because I do frequent treatments. Some have reported that it starts to "fade" at 8 week, and others have noted that by 9 months it was 100% gone.

Girlyprincess23I'm highly interested and on the fence at the same time, I've come across research with positive and negative results.
Decide what you want out of the treatment, consider which risks you're comfortable taking, then do what you think is right for you and your hair.

grnidmonster

lilikoi is right! that mimics my experience with bkt perfectly. read all you can and be informed then make what you feel is the best decision for you,

MarieB

I don't have much to add; I have had one professional application of BKT, then done my own several more times(cheaper and easier to go at my own pace). I have found it to be the best thing for retention for me, as most protective styles give me headaches after an hour or two. I use less products overall with a BKT (from shampoos to leave-ins, my hair just doesn't require as much as opposed to relaxed/texlaxed), styling time is shorter, and overall hair health seems to be better. When I BKT at home I wear gloves for the application process (and do not apply directly to my scalp; you treat it like you would a relaxer, except you don't have to kiss your ends goodbye if you overlap), open all windows in the vicinity (making sure to blow-dry and flat iron in the room that has the best cross-ventilation), and employ my ceiling fans so that any fumes are dispersed. I should also mention that any salon worth the price of admission that offers this treatment should at the very least invest in some sort of ventilation system to avoid over-exposure to the employees as well as to the clients. That being said, I believe this has been said more than once on this board, but it always bears repeating: Everything ain't for everyone.

blackbarbietea

I just did my BKT last night. (I am sooo sleepy!) and my hair did well with the heat. (I have a relaxer) and i put coconut and castor oil on my hair and it's actually really moisturized. I think oils are the key. But that's just for any hair in any condition.

BGT

KaramelDiva1978 I know who you are and you know who I am. :grin:

I don't have anything to tell you. I want to try the BKT, but I am relaxed so I know we'd have different results. I'm going back to Paris next summer and I need a really carefree style while I'm there. If I can wash and go with a BKT, I'd like that and go.

blksndrlla

Hey! I just did my own BKT. I read the ENTIRE thread and figured it would be a good move for me. I chose to go the "no" formaldehyde route and so far (all of 5 days later) I am happy with my decision. I took heed to hijabgirl's post that hydrolyzed keratin bonds at 335 and I used 370. My hair straightens fairly easy, so it was no biggie. Like I said, so far so good.

Last edited:

MyAngelEyez~C~U

I used it to transition for 8 months with no ill effects. My hair fully reverted prior to my BC in June of this year. I may BKT again sometime next year, but for now I'm enjoying my hair as is. It is a great tool to use for transitioners, IMO. I also wouldn't bother with a stylist since it is so easy to do yourself safely.

KaramelDiva1978

Thanks everyone, you made some very valid points and for now, I'm looking at some natural ways to straighten. My stylist has a new natural product that he's been trying some of his clients for a few months with similarly lasting results. I begged and pried for more info to bring back here and he would only give me the basic "need to know info" because he's the only one here who has it. I'll find out and post it here on Wednesday when I see if its as good as he promises.

Thanks a million ladies!!

LOL @ BGT!! Hhheeeyyyy girl!

lilikoi

T I begged and pried for more info to bring back here and he would only give me the basic "need to know info" because he's the only one here who has it.
:nono:

KaramelDiva1978: Are you're going to let him put something that you don't know the ingredients/mechanism of action of on your hair?!! Am I the only one who finds this alarming?!

When it comes to my hair I need more than "basic info"; I need to know EVERYTHING!
Please, think twice before playing guinea pig...

KaramelDiva1978

:nono:

@KaramelDiva1978: Are you're going to let him put something that you don't know the ingredients/mechanism of action of on your hair?!! Am I the only one who finds this alarming?!

When it comes to my hair I need more than "basic info"; I need to know EVERYTHING!
Please, think twice before playing guinea pig...

No need for alarm basic info includes "the ingredients/mechanism of action on my hair". I'm not playing guinea pig, he's been doing it on other naturals also. But since I haven't been to the shop except for having my daughter's hair done, I never asked. Until I recently had decent length, I didn't want to straighten my hair. I asked who was the manufacturer, where can I get it, what does it cost, and got no info because he's having a private label put on it to market it from his salon exclusively. Because it's natural, I have much more peace of mind than a chemical process.

Thanks for your concern though! I would want that snap back to reality if I were going to be wreckless with my hair, lol. I will post results and more details after I get it done on Wednesday morning.

lilikoi

No need for alarm basic info includes "the ingredients/mechanism of action on my hair". I'm not playing guinea pig, he's been doing it on other naturals also. But since I haven't been to the shop except for having my daughter's hair done, I never asked. Until I recently had decent length, I didn't want to straighten my hair. I asked who was the manufacturer, where can I get it, what does it cost, and got no info because he's having a private label put on it to market it from his salon exclusively. Because it's natural, I have much more peace of mind than a chemical process.

Thanks for your concern though! I would want that snap back to reality if I were going to be wreckless with my hair, lol. I will post results and more details after I get it done on Wednesday morning.

Whew! I'm glad to hear this. You really scared me there for a sec. We've had so many horror stories arising from new ways to straighten (Rio, Copa, Caribbean Dream, anybody?)...

I look forward to seeing your results on Wed.

P.S. And you know we're dying of curiosity about ""the ingredients/mechanism of action"...

lisalisatoo

Hello Ladies,

For those who have BKT'd what is your hair care regimen after BKTing? I think I'm ready to try it but have not seen much about the products that you use immediately after (first days) and in the following months. Any advice is much appreciated.

LisaLisa

mstar

Luxury bacon
Hello Ladies,

For those who have BKT'd what is your hair care regimen after BKTing? I think I'm ready to try it but have not seen much about the products that you use immediately after (first days) and in the following months. Any advice is much appreciated.

LisaLisa
The BKT aftercare is pretty much the same as non-treated hair, except for the two cardinal rules: no sulfate shampoos, and no conditioners/styling products that contain salt.

I use all the same products that I used before. I did discover that my BKT'd hair likes cones, so I added a couple silicone conditioners into the mix. However, I've recently gone back to a mostly cone-free regimen, and my hair is doing just fine.

The biggest difference is that my BKT'd hair isn't as "needy" as my natural hair. It rarely gets dry, and I don't have to adhere to a strict schedule of maintaining a moisture/protein balance. It's very easy to maintain BKT hair.