Long Hair Care Forum
Home Rules Feature Of The Month !! SUBSCRIBE !! Reviews iSpy Blogs Groups Contact Us

Go Back   Long Hair Care Forum > Long Hair Care Forum's Discussion Boards > Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-28-2010, 02:40 PM
Poutchi Poutchi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 364
Thanks: 249
Thanked 596 Times in 232 Posts
Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Unhappy Boiling water and hair

Hello Ladies,
Next week, I will be putting some braid with extension to my hair. Since I have been thinking of doing this, I was wondering what will be the effect of the boiling water on my ends. Since the ends of the braids are usually dipped in hot water to seal them and give them shape, I am wondering if I need to stop where my hair is no longer is the braid or if that won't break my ends.
I know it has been done to my hair before but now that I am all conscious about my hair, I kinda wonder....
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-28-2010, 02:53 PM
L.Brown1114 L.Brown1114 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 867
Thanks: 125
Thanked 243 Times in 72 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Boiling water and hair

i wonder about this too. i doubt its safe sense ppl say ur suppose to rinse your hair with warm water and not hot, so boiling would be overdoing it. maybe u can try dipping it in really hot oil, this seals the cuticle and maybe it will have the same effect.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-28-2010, 03:09 PM
Nonie's Avatar
Nonie Nonie is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 23,624
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 15,190
Thanked 25,465 Times in 7,667 Posts
Mentioned: 4688 Post(s)
Tagged: 153 Thread(s)
Default Re: Boiling water and hair

I don't believe temperature has any effect on closing or opening of hair cuticles. I believe it is the pH that makes that difference, so I don't believe hot water will seal the cuticles as suggested.

I personally would not dip my hair ends into boiling water. I don't think it'd destroy them since we tend to straighten hair with a lot more heat than that, but I don't see what good it would do to dip my hair in boiling water. If dipping extension hair to seal, I say dip just the fake hair and stop a long way from getting your own hair in there.

And this is another reason why you must get extension hair that is longer than your own hair and braid way past your own hair so that your ends are kept detangled and knot-free and also so that if there's any hot water dipping, you don't involve your hair in that dunk.

BTW, if you'll be using human hair, I don't think you need to dip anything. I believe that's only useful when using synthetic extension hair.

Last edited by Nonie; 08-28-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-28-2010, 03:22 PM
L.Brown1114 L.Brown1114 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 867
Thanks: 125
Thanked 243 Times in 72 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Boiling water and hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonie View Post
I don't believe temperature has any effect on closing or opening of hair cuticles. I believe it is the pH that makes that difference, so I don't believe hot water will seal the cuticles as suggested.

I personally would not dip my hair ends into boiling water. I don't think it'd destroy them since we tend to straighten hair with a lot more heat than that, but I don't see what good it would do to dip my hair in boiling water. If dipping extension hair to seal, I say dip just the fake hair and stop a long way from getting your own hair in there.

And this is another reason why you must get extension hair that is longer than your own hair and braid way past your own hair so that your ends are kept detangled and knot-free and also so that if there's any hot water dipping, you don't involve your hair in that dunk.

BTW, if you'll be using human hair, I don't think you need to dip anything. I believe that's only useful when using synthetic extension hair.
no with oil. someone told me to do this if the kimmaytube leave in didnt work to seal my ends but it did so i never used it personally
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-28-2010, 03:48 PM
Nonie's Avatar
Nonie Nonie is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 23,624
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 15,190
Thanked 25,465 Times in 7,667 Posts
Mentioned: 4688 Post(s)
Tagged: 153 Thread(s)
Default Re: Boiling water and hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Brown1114 View Post
no with oil. someone told me to do this if the kimmaytube leave in didnt work to seal my ends but it did so i never used it personally
When people "seal with oil", my understanding isn't that they close cuticles that were open but rather they coat the hair strand with a cover so that the hair is not exposed to the elements. I don't know what Kimmaytube leave in is but if it is a watery product whose water could easily evaporates, then an oil may help prevent moisture loss, hence the suggestion to seal with oil. I don't know what it being hot has to do with anything except perhaps if it's an oil that is usually solid, when heated it's easier to spread. Since heat melts solids, perhaps warm oil that penetrates strands might be less viscous when heated hence easily absorbed.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-28-2010, 06:03 PM
L.Brown1114 L.Brown1114 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 867
Thanks: 125
Thanked 243 Times in 72 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Boiling water and hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonie View Post
When people "seal with oil", my understanding isn't that they close cuticles that were open but rather they coat the hair strand with a cover so that the hair is not exposed to the elements. I don't know what Kimmaytube leave in is but if it is a watery product whose water could easily evaporates, then an oil may help prevent moisture loss, hence the suggestion to seal with oil. I don't know what it being hot has to do with anything except perhaps if it's an oil that is usually solid, when heated it's easier to spread. Since heat melts solids, perhaps warm oil that penetrates strands might be less viscous when heated hence easily absorbed.
oh well good thing the kimmaytube leave in worked lol. its kinky curly knot today leave in mixed with aloe vera juice, jojoba oil, and castor oil. it has a ph balance of 4.5 to seal the cuticle
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-28-2010, 06:21 PM
greight's Avatar
greight greight is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: where my hair never tangles
Posts: 7,796
Blog Entries: 7
Thanks: 14,337
Thanked 36,392 Times in 5,244 Posts
Mentioned: 443 Post(s)
Tagged: 34 Thread(s)
Default Re: Boiling water and hair

Personal experience: I used to dip my extensions in hot water all the time with no issues. And I mean like 10 -12 inches of hair dipped in hot water. No splits, nadda.

My splits have come with my hair exposed to the elements though (no extensions).
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-28-2010, 08:47 PM
Poutchi Poutchi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 364
Thanks: 249
Thanked 596 Times in 232 Posts
Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Default Re: Boiling water and hair

Thanks a lot ladies for the answers . I am debatting putting braids in with extension at the ends to protect the ends.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



» Advertisment

» Advertisment

» Advertisment

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright © 2002-2011, Long Hair Care Forum™, LLC.
Site Maintenance Nikos Dimopoulos - www.niden.net