Long Hair Care Forum
Home Rules Feature Of The Month !! SUBSCRIBE !! Reviews iSpy Blogs Groups Contact Us

Go Back   Long Hair Care Forum > Long Hair Care Forum's Discussion Boards > Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-27-2005, 08:35 PM
healthyhair2's Avatar
healthyhair2 healthyhair2 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Brooklyn, NEW York
Posts: 441
Thanks: 32
Thanked 229 Times in 91 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question How Long do you wait after relaxer 4 braids?

I'm due for a relaxer touch up, but I want to get braids afterwards. Can anyone tell me how long I need to wait between the touch up and getting my braids done?Also, once the braids are removed ,how long until you relax again? Any info will be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-27-2005, 08:41 PM
Keen's Avatar
Keen Keen is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: G.R.I.T.S - Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 21,043
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 13,268
Thanked 29,570 Times in 5,185 Posts
Mentioned: 883 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Default Re: How Long do you wait after relaxer 4 braids?

You should wait at least 48 hours after taking off your braids to relax. Afterward, I would say to wait a couple of washes or 2 weeks.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-27-2005, 08:42 PM
candibaby's Avatar
candibaby candibaby is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: georgia
Posts: 2,457
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: How Long do you wait after relaxer 4 braids?

I usually wait at least 4 or 5 weeks, til I have enough new growth for the braids to hold on to. If you just want to get braids after, why don't you just skip relaxing and get the braids then relax after taking them out? I'd way at least a week to relax after taking out the braids.

While I'm here.. I can tell you a story of my friend who decided to get kinky twists last week -- and she was only 2 weeks post relaxer. Those things are hanging on by a thread. A few have already slipped off. I don't think the braider could get them tight enough because she didnt have any new growth
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-27-2005, 08:56 PM
Neroli Neroli is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere in West Africa
Posts: 1,655
Thanks: 0
Thanked 34 Times in 15 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Cool Re: How Long do you wait after relaxer 4 braids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by candibaby
I usually wait at least 4 or 5 weeks, til I have enough new growth for the braids to hold on to. If you just want to get braids after, why don't you just skip relaxing and get the braids then relax after taking them out? I'd way at least a week to relax after taking out the braids.

While I'm here.. I can tell you a story of my friend who decided to get kinky twists last week -- and she was only 2 weeks post relaxer. Those things are hanging on by a thread. A few have already slipped off. I don't think the braider could get them tight enough because she didnt have any new growth
I agree. If you want braids, get them and skip the relaxer. I use to braid professionally in another life and fresh relaxers are a no-no if you want good looking healthy braids. I still braid my own hair and those of family and friends (for beer and food!). I do individuals or cornrows, but refuse to do micros because of damage they cause.

If your hair is really thick with new growth, use a good moisturizing 'poo and conditioner and then do a blow dry using good leave-in/serum/heat protectant to get the roots manageable and go braid it up. This is the ONLY time I blow dry my hair (or recommend it), when I'm going into braids a few months after relaxing and my new growth is like "hello!!" (I'm 4b, very thick, very kinky and gotta get the comb and fingers thru that bush!). I go into braids usually when it's time for a touchup -- instead of the relaxer after 10 to 12 weeks, I whip some braids in, usually in the summer to avoid the humidity and frizz drama that goes on down here in Hotatlanta . . . HTH
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-28-2005, 11:03 AM
Puddles's Avatar
Puddles Puddles is offline
On Cloud 9
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Cloud 9
Posts: 2,645
Blog Entries: 23
Thanks: 113
Thanked 32 Times in 28 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Default Re: How Long do you wait after relaxer 4 braids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neroli
I agree. If you want braids, get them and skip the relaxer. I use to braid professionally in another life and fresh relaxers are a no-no if you want good looking healthy braids. I still braid my own hair and those of family and friends (for beer and food!). I do individuals or cornrows, but refuse to do micros because of damage they cause.

If your hair is really thick with new growth, use a good moisturizing 'poo and conditioner and then do a blow dry using good leave-in/serum/heat protectant to get the roots manageable and go braid it up. This is the ONLY time I blow dry my hair (or recommend it), when I'm going into braids a few months after relaxing and my new growth is like "hello!!" (I'm 4b, very thick, very kinky and gotta get the comb and fingers thru that bush!). I go into braids usually when it's time for a touchup -- instead of the relaxer after 10 to 12 weeks, I whip some braids in, usually in the summer to avoid the humidity and frizz drama that goes on down here in Hotatlanta . . . HTH

I totally agree. I relax and braid my daughter's hair. It's best to wait until you have some new growth to put in braids. Plus you don't want breakage from braiding freshly relaxed hair. I usually wait a month after relaxing her hair. There is 1/2" of new growth by then. Then I braid it.

HTH
__________________
Natural 3b/c



Taste & See
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-28-2005, 11:08 AM
BAILEYSCREAM's Avatar
BAILEYSCREAM BAILEYSCREAM is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Deep Blue Sea.....
Posts: 1,485
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Post Re: How Long do you wait after relaxer 4 braids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyhair2
I'm due for a relaxer touch up, but I want to get braids afterwards. Can anyone tell me how long I need to wait between the touch up and getting my braids done?Also, once the braids are removed ,how long until you relax again? Any info will be much appreciated.
I just had a touch-up.
I am going to wait for maybe 4-5 weeks before I get braids (at this point I have substantial new growth)
I am going to wear the braids for maybe 5-6 max, then I will take them off.
I will treat my hair for about 2 weeks with conditioner washes every 3-4 days and deep conditioning treatments.

Note: Before I have my touch-up, I usually have an aphoghee treatment to strenghten my hair.

Well, this is my personal touch-up to braid routine. I have learned that keeping the braids in for too long = breakage for me personally. So I won't be keeping them in for months at a time (Last time I had them in for 11 weeks) because I find that my processed hair gets very dry.

Last edited by BAILEYSCREAM; 01-28-2005 at 11:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-29-2005, 04:02 PM
healthyhair2's Avatar
healthyhair2 healthyhair2 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Brooklyn, NEW York
Posts: 441
Thanks: 32
Thanked 229 Times in 91 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: How Long do you wait after relaxer 4 braids?

Thanks you guys for all that advice. My relaxer hasn't been touched up in at least 2 months, so I think I will skip the retouch. I will deep condition a few more times though.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



» Advertisment

» Advertisment

» Advertisment

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright © 2002-2011, Long Hair Care Forum™, LLC.
Site Maintenance Nikos Dimopoulos - www.niden.net