Sulfur 8 and Glovers Mane, Revisited

Mochalolita

I know that this topic has been discussed many times on the boards, but I'm giving both products another try. I had to jump off the Surge Challenge, because the product just didn't agree with my hair or scalp. I gave myself a touch-up on the 17th of this month, and have been using S8 and GM every day. I've never been consistent with using it before, and I want to give it a fair chance to see if I get the same results as others have claimed. I know one of the things that discouraged me from using it in the past was the odor. Not so much the S8, but definitely the GM. Maybe I've grown a lighter hand or something, but I don't have that problem now. I try to be careful about applying it only to my scalp and not my hair, and I apply it at night so by morning the smell is diminished. I've been out in public after applying it, though, and I haven't heard anything negative from friends or otherwise. Starting after my touch-up should make it easier to chart my new growth. I'll report my results after my next touch-up...usually around 10 weeks, but if it works, I hope to be posting sooner :)

Hugs,
Crys

Mochalolita

I only used S8 on a consistent long-term basis when I was much much younger, and I wasn't measuring my hair growth then, lol. But I can say that my hair was very long (past mid-back) and healthy. As for the glovers, the smell kept me from using that long enough to see any results. I think I was just too heavy handed at the time. But, my motivation for going back to them is a couple of girls from back in high school who used it...their hair grew like WEEDS...and till this day, I still see one of them, rocking waist length hair :eek: So, I figure it can't hurt. I've got my system for applying it down, and now that I know how to take care of my hair better, I'll be able to gauge my results properly :) So I can let you know a definite answer by next touch up time.

Hugs,
Crys

Armyqt

Hey Crys :wave:

You're a brave girl. :lol: I still have some of this stinky stuff from waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy back when I was pretending like I could pull this off. :lol: Pls keep us updated.

Mochalolita

Hey Army! I swear, it's not as bad as I remember it being last time, lol. I honestly think its because I don't load it on like I used to...and make sure to ONLY hit the scalp, not the hair. Can't really smell a thing :) I'm also making sure that while I'm home to keep my hair wrapped up in a satin doo-rag, or covered with a satin bonnet. My hair will not see the light of day until I go outside. I'm hoping that will keep more moisture locked in it...

hopeful

When I was about ten years old, my 5th grade class took swimming lessons I think maybe once a week. Well, no matter how hard I tried, my pressed hair always got wet and would revert some. When my mom got home from work she would warm comb my hair so it would look nice for the rest of the school week. Not sure how long this went on. But, since my mother would normally shampoo and press my hair every three weeks, she thought it would be okay to warm comb it, you know, touch it up, without shampooing it. Well, oh my goodness, I know anyone reading this knows what that chlorine and pressing did to my hair. This was like 30 years ago so I know my mother just didn't know any better. By the sixth grade, for the first time in my life I had short hair. :(

To the rescue was my grandmother. She came over one night to my devastated mother and brought Glover's Mane. They would put it in foil and warm it up on the stove top (no microwaves back then) and apply the warmed gm to my scalp with a cotton ball. I think she did this every week for at least a few months. My hair grew back big time! :) By 7th grade my hair had completely grown back. So just wanted to say that I'm a big believer in Glover's Mane. Good luck.

Mochalolita

Thanks Hopeful...that's some good motivation. A lot of people I know who have used Glovers have been turned onto it by either their grandparents or someone from that generation. I guess it's one of those old school remedies that has been set aside for newer products. I just finished using my S8 and Glovers for the night...and I must say, they give amazing shine! I appreciate your testimonial :) Did your grandmother only apply it once a week?

hopeful

I talked to my mom and she says she thinks it was once a week. Keep us updated on your progress. ;)

Bap

U can buy it at any beauty supply place. :). When i was transitioning from my relaxer years ago & I started wearing my hair in twist it helped my hair but watch out because the smell can be unbearable.

Champagne_Wishes

A broke graduate
Is this stuff it?

Last edited:

Mochalolita

PB: I use the Sulfur 8 Original Hair and Scalp Grease. You can get that and Glovers at any local BSS

Toinette: Glovers is a liquid you apply to your scalp. I think it's originally intended for use as a dandruff treatment, but it contains sulfur and pine tar, and there have been many people who have noticed great growth from using it.

WIU: I don't rinse it after I apply it, just put on some S8 and wrap it up...I think there were some ladies who rinsed it out when they used it, but I'm not sure of their results. Also, I'm not sure what the box says because I threw it out, lol. I'm using it the same way that the girls back in high school used it for their growth.

CW: Yep, that's the exact one I'm using :)

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Thanks Mochalolita!!! :)

How would you guys compare growth results of Sulfur 8 and Glover's Mane to Wild Growth Hair Oil???

Mochalolita

I've never used WGO for growth...it's a little bit too heavy for me. I only use it for heat styling once every couple of months. But I wouldn't mind hearing the answer to that, either.

I've updated my Fotki album with length pics today, and I will be updating with each touchup throughout the year to see where I end up :)

Hugs,
Crys

EbonyEyes

My mom told me that she used Glovers Mane to grow her hair years ago. She made a concoction for me where she put Glovers Mane in a grease and told me to grease my scalp with it every day.

I stopped using it when I came to hair boards because of all the talk about petroleum stunting hair growth.

-Ebony

GoingBack

EbonyEyes said:
My mom told me that she used Glovers Mane to grow her hair years ago. She made a concoction for me where she put Glovers Mane in a grease and told me to grease my scalp with it every day.

I stopped using it when I came to hair boards because of all the talk about petroleum stunting hair growth.

-Ebony

Ebony, was it working for you? Don't believe everything that you read on this board....everything doesn't work for everyone.

Mochalolita

kitty18 said:
Ebony, was it working for you? Don't believe everything that you read on this board....everything doesn't work for everyone.

Yep, I agree...a while back, I stopped using petro products for the same reason...but my hair likes it! And there are plenty of ladies on the board who use it as well. One size never really fits all, ya know?

Koffie

EbonyEyes said:

-Ebony

What your mother did is similar to some stuff called FRENCHEES Super Gro. It is a grease that smells just like glovers mane.:yep:

AngelicRose07

back from years of hiatus
Mochalolita said:
PB:

WIU: I don't rinse it after I apply it, just put on some S8 and wrap it up...I think there were some ladies who rinsed it out when they used it, but I'm not sure of their results. Also, I'm not sure what the box says because I threw it out, lol. I'm using it the same way that the girls back in high school used it for their growth.
thanks! ill check it out

EbonyEyes

kitty18 said:

Did it ever work for me! I was relaxed at the time and my hair grew from ear length to neck length in 4 months!

I'm going back to it...I bought some Glovers Mane (The floral scented one) from the BSS today. I put a little in a mixture of EVOO, Castor, and Doo Groo Anti-Itch oil. I plan on using this once every 2-3 days.

I also added some Glovers to my Doo Gro Medicated Hair Revitalizer Grease. I won't be using this concoction until after I'm out of the braids.

-Ebony

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I looked at a website that had these directions for Glover's:

Apply to your scalp, wait for up to an hour, then wash your hair.

After an hour, do you guys wash it out of your hair??? Is it safe to leave on your scalp even if you don't have scalp/dandruff problems??? :confused:

Last edited:

Mochalolita

Well, this may just be my experience...but I apply it daily and don't wash it out. I wash and rollerset my hair pretty much whenever I feel like it, but never less than once a week. I haven't had any problems with using it that way :)