Are you worshipping your hair?

Integrity

Initially, my family would tease me at all my efforts to grow my hair. Now, after 1.5 years, I am the one laughing! They are shocked at my length and progress, particularll just after touch-ups when I let me hair out and the whole length is visible.

BUT my mum made a comment one day 'it is as if you are worshipping your hair'.
Of course, I told her it wasn't the case, but as a believer, her words still ring in my ear. I don't want to be an idolator!
This is pretty serious but I guess this is something I will have to consult God about...
Can anyone else identify?

ms_kenesha

Aren't you just taking care of it? I mean you don't have a shrine set up to your hair. I think some people are just jealous of anyone's efforts to improve themselves esp. when they're seeing results. I mean if you work out are you worshipping your body?

Integrity

ms_kenesha said:
Aren't you just taking care of it? I mean you don't have a shrine set up to your hair. I think some people are just jealous of anyone's efforts to improve themselves esp. when they're seeing results. I mean if you work out are you worshipping your body?

phew! thanks for that! those were my points exactly.

Integrity

although i do think that others would say the shrine is the load of hair products in my bathroom cabinet! Some have described it as a pharmacy...LOL

KAddy

I thought about this too, but as long as I do not put my hair ABOVE God then I am not worshipping it. Ms_K made an excellent point to.

God wants us to take care of the many gifts that he gave us.

DelightfulFlame

For me, taking care of my hair is a hobby. I enjoy doing it.

I think my hair is a blessing, and I'm showing my thanks to God for it by taking care of it. I don't really care if others like it or not. Although good compliments/comments are accepted with joy...if they don't come...oh well.

I say as long as it isn't obsessive...then there isn't any harm. And just because you are interested in something doesn't make it obsessive. If you were knitting would she have something to say?

MomofThreeBoys

I can understand. I think believers should examine themselves daily to ensure nothing comes before God. A lot of things/acts can become idols. Is washing my hair more of a priority than reading His Word, is watching a particular TV show taking precedence over prayer time, is spending time with my SO more important than my daily devotion time? It is positive to examine one's self, the question is: once I recognize a problem, am I truly willing to fix it?

SouthernGirl

Funny,

I thought about this too because I spend soooooo much time thinking about my hair and on the hair site!

When I get those thoughts, I just say a little "thank you" to God for blessing me with the head of hair he's given me, and I tell him that I don't mean to be too vain.

I'm also very humble by nature, so when I get hair compliments, people can see my humility. At least I hope so.

Last edited:

LegallySpeaking

I think anytime we focus on appearance related goals, whether it is our weight, muscles or hair, there is probably always a little vanity involved. Even though we are doing things to keep our hair healthy, that's primarily because we want it to be long and fabulous. As long as we keep it in perspective, I think it's okay.

Last edited:

Integrity

natalied said:
I can understand. I think believers should examine themselves daily to ensure nothing comes before God. A lot of things/acts can become idols. Is washing my hair more of a priority than reading His Word, is watching a particular TV show taking precedence over prayer time, is spending time with my SO more important than my daily devotion time? It is positive to examine one's self, the question is: once I recognize a problem, am I truly willing to fix it?

great questions!
I think I am thinking deeper into it because I can go for a week without reading my bible or even praying for 10 minutes BUT I am consistent with my weekly wash and deep conditioning, which take hours to complete.
when i look at it that way, the answer is yes and it is sad. God help me..

Carlie

Am I worshipping my hair....NO WAY!!!

Unfortunately, there are people who can't tell the difference between taking care of one's hair & worshipping it. :ohwell:

Last edited:

pookeylou

I think it is an excellent thought provoking question.

I also feel like DLF...hair is my hobby. Now there are days when laundry should be getting done and I am on the hair forums. I should be more disciplined. But I can be that way with sewing or reading or cooking or anything I love to do.

Do I think about my hair 24/7...no. Are there more important things in life? You better believe that. A person who "worships" their hair...cannot tell the difference.

blkmaryland

My body is a temple and I have abused it for so many years.......I am at a point in my life where I am learning how to cherish and take care of it. My temple is comprised of my physical, mental, and spiritual being. I have learned that when I am not spiritually and mentally together, it shows in my physical.....Right now, my healthy hair proves to me that I am doing something right......I'm eating right, I'm not stressed, I am at peace with myself....and it shows in my hair and other physical attributes....So no...I don't worship my hair....it's a result of me taking care of my temple.

SandySea

Ironically, I was thinking about this recently. But, as was said before, idolatry is when you put something above God. I love my hair, but not that much. I think that it's a part of taking care of myself and pampering myself.

Ayeshia

no hair is apart of my hygiene and upkeep....its a sign of good health to me. i mean she made it seem like you do tribal chants or howl to the moon to make your hair grow :(

sharee

blkmaryland said:
My body is a temple and I have abused it for so many years.......I am at a point in my life where I am learning how to cherish and take care of it. My temple is comprised of my physical, mental, and spiritual being. I have learned that when I am not spiritually and mentally together, it shows in my physical.....Right now, my healthy hair proves to me that I am doing something right......I'm eating right, I'm not stressed, I am at peace with myself....and it shows in my hair and other physical attributes....So no...I don't worship my hair....it's a result of me taking care of my temple.

ITA! Well put....

SherryLove

it is okay to worship yourself and those who honor their divine connection and relationship with God. Because remember we are all expressions of God.........

A_Christian

I am absolutely not worshipping my hair! I've thought about this subject before too. I really had to examine how much time and thought I've been putting into my hair. I've prayed about it just like I pray about everything else because I absolutely do not ever want to put anyone or anything above Jesus. Jesus himself and He alone is the only One to be worshipped and praised!

Besides being a part of taking care of my physical health, I also consider hair care to be a personal hobby. It's fun just like my other hobbies, but I won't allow it to interfere with my relationship with the Lord. It sounds so funny to to me to say this about something as simple as my hair, :laugh: but seriously! I have to keep myself in check to make sure I don't make anything an idol whether it be celebrities, other people, music, my career, money etc...., and even my hair and hair care.

I try to not spend a lot of time on hair care activities and on the forum on Sundays now, although I have logged on plenty of times before and after church. But everyday is all about Jesus and I'm still working to focus primarily on Him and take a break from my hobbies on the Sabbath.

I'm glad you started this topic, it's a good reminder to me! :)

Last edited:

tlmack

I think my hair growth bring glory to God, b/c I pray for my hair to grow and I think that if I succeed it is just another blessing God gives me to bring glory to him and tell others what He's done for me.

Carlie

Ayeshia said:
no hair is apart of my hygiene and upkeep....its a sign of good health to me. i mean she made it seem like you do tribal chants or howl to the moon to make your hair grow :(
... :lol: :rofl: :rofl::rofl:...

CatSuga

Integrity said:
This is pretty serious but I guess this is something I will have to consult God about...

1 Corinthians 11:15 "But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering."

Isis

Worship also means to honor and respect. I believe this is part of loving ourselves, which we are supposed to do.

BAILEYSCREAM

ms_kenesha said:

Really, I think Ms K has expressed what I would have said.

As the old saying goes "Heaven helps those who help themselves".

IMO there is nothing wrong with taking care of yourself and taking pride in your appearance. Nothing at all!

pebbles

Worshipping my hair...? NO WAY!

I know what I'm about to say will seem extreme to a forum where we believe in taking care of our hair and growing it long, but if my hair has to come before worshipping GOD, let the LORD make me bald! LOL! :lol: I'm serious! I don't want anything that will take my focus away from GOD! HE can take the hair!

Seriously, I don't worship my hair. I take care of it when I have to, and I move on. ;)

MomofThreeBoys

pebbles said:
Worshipping my hair...? NO WAY!

I know what I'm about to say will seem extreme to a forum where we believe in taking care of our hair and growing it long, but if my hair has to come before worshipping GOD, let the LORD make me bald! LOL! :lol: I'm serious! I don't want anything that will take my focus away from GOD! HE can take the hair!

Seriously, I don't worship my hair. I take care of it when I have to, and I move on. ;)

Amen to that Pebbles
:)

missvi

God is Good!!
Is taking care of you worshipping your self? I take care of me and my hair. So if taking care of hair is worshipping it I worshipping all of me. Besides I only worship GOD!!!

JenJen2721

This thread is a good reminder to keep my priorities straight. I don't believe that I worship my hair, but I need to remind myself sometimes that I'm spending too much time and effort on it. When I cut it last month, one of the reasons was so that I could spend more time taking care of priorities and my number one should be God.

cece22

Yes the Bible does say that God gave us glory through our hair as a covering. But I try to avoid becoming obsessed with my hair wanting to take care of it, nurture and keep it combed is fine. But I don't want to spend excessive amounts of time and attention grooming my hair when I have deeper priority. It is definately something that I don't want to go overboard with. Yes it says hair braiding but it can relate to any outside hair situation in my opinion. And no there is nothing wrondg with braids, however we do not want this to be mistaken for our adornment rather that what matters most the inside person, prayer, medititation, Bible study, and family.
What Your Hair Reveals
Hair care and styling are forms of self-expression. Hair has been cut, extended, straightened, curled, colored, and variously styled to meet fashion trends, religious beliefs, and even social and political agendas. Take a closer look at your hair. What does it reveal about you? Healthy hair that is tastefully styled adorns its wearer and is admired by others.
1 Peter 3:3, 4
3 And do not let YOUR adornment be that of the external braiding of the hair and of the putting on of gold ornaments or the wearing of outer garments, 4 but let it be the secret person of the heart in the incorruptible [apparel] of the quiet and mild spirit, which is of great value in the eyes of God.

2 Timothy 9-10
9 Likewise I desire the women to adorn themselves in well-arranged dress, with modesty and soundness of mind, not with styles of hair braiding and gold or pearls or very expensive garb, 10 but in the way that befits women professing to reverence God, namely, through good works.

Last edited: