Kiehl's Superbly Smoothing Argan Shampoo and Conditioner

DarkChyld

Yesterday, while in the Grove for a movie, I decided to stop by one of my favorite skin care shops, Kiehl's (which is in the back between Abercrombie and the Gap). I purchased the travel sized bottles of Kiehl's Superbly Smoothing Argan Shampoo and Conditioner For Coarse, Unruly Hair for $7/bottle. Both of the products are cone-free, sulfate-free and paraben-free. It was just released in the past week and as of today is not even on the website.

Shampoo Ingredients: Aqua/Water, Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate, Laureth-5 Carboxylic Acid, Sodium Chloride, Cocamidopropyl Distearate, PPG-5-Ceteth-20, Sodium Benzoate, Sodium Lauroyl Glutamate, Lactic Acid, Parfum/Fragrance, Propylene Glycol, PEG-55 Propylene Glycol Oleate, Salicylic Acid, Cedrus Atlantica Oil/ Cedrus Atlantica Bark Oil, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis Oil/ Orange Peel Oil, Limonene, Eucalyptus Globulus Oil/ Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Oil, Argania Spinosa Oil. Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Sesamum Indicum Oil/ Sesame Seed Oil, Theobroma Cacao Butter/ Cocoa Seed Butter, Carthamus Tinctorius Oil/ Safflower Seed Oil, Sodium Hydroxide Fmla 1043411KL19 Code F.I.L.: D40217/1

Conditioner Ingredients: Aqua/Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Glycerin, Argania Spinosa Oil/ Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Carthamus Tinctorius Oil/ Safflower Seed Oil, Cetyl Esters, Isopropyl Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Parfum/Fragrance, Benzoic Acid, Sesamum Indicum Oil/ Sesame Seed Oil, Candelilla Cera/ Candelilla Wax, Theobroma Cacao Butter/ Cocoa Seed Butter, Aurantium Dulcis Oil/ Orange Peel Oil, Limonene, Cedrus Atlantica Oil/ Cedrus Atlantica Bark Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, Eucalyptus Globulus Oil/ Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Oil, Citral, Citric Acid Fmla 1067551KL24 F.I.L. Code: D40207/4

Review: My hair has been kinda dry this past week and well my hair felt super soft like it was before I went on product overload. I only needed to use a little bit of each product (like a quarter size). My scalp is clean because there was no residue left like other products. The conditioner worked equally as well because I was not scratching my head afterwards like I have been with other products. And I think the frizz factor was reduced. My hair was more defined and the frizzies have yet to come out. It also smells really good.

According to one of the sales associates at the Kiehl's on Robertson Blvd., the company will be releasing a finishing product for use after conditioner but you can use the Argan Dry Oil as a finisher.
Personally, I used Ojon Leave In Treatment and sealed with Virgin Coconut Oil which is what I've been using for the past two to three weeks. I usually need another application of Coconut Oil and the Juice by midday. I have yet to reach for my Juice today. My hair is so soft and even the piece that has heat damage plumped up a little today.

Last edited:

Minty

man I wish they'd leave out the propylene glycol, etc. I'm glad you posted a review!

DarkChyld

Update and a Review:
I'm still using the shampoo and conditioner. My hair has responded wonderfully and it's fuller I think. It feels fuller and has caused me to use less leave in and sealing oil.
I recently purchased the Superbly Smoothing Argan Hair Pak which is a part of this series. I'm going to return it. Thank goodness for the 100% money-back guarantee that they have or I would be upset. I was a bit wary of using the Hair Pak because of the ingredients but I figured, it should be okay because the other products worked so well. :ohwell:
Boy, I was wrong. I used it after washing with the Superbly Smoothing Argan Shampoo. My hair was fine after the shampoo. I used a generous amount of the hair pack and kept it in for about 15 minutes. The directions recommended a minimum of 3 minutes. My hair came out frizzy. It literally destroyed most of my curly pattern.:wallbash: When I rinsed, my hair did not feel soft anymore. So I went about my usual routine with Giovanni Leave In and coconut oil to seal. My hair was parched and stringy like. So I decided to share. There are no pictures because eww.
The bold ingredients are the ones that I was iffy about. I would not recommend this Hair Pak to anyone. It was drying and damaging. I'm using the Osmo Essence Intensive Deep Repair Mask to fix the issue. I hope it helps because my hair was a puffy frizz ball.

Ingredients:
Agua/Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Carthamus Tinctorius Oil/Safflower Seed Oil, Behentrimonium Chloride, Cetyl Esters, Argania Spinosa Oil/ Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Glycerin, Caprylyl Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Isopropyl Alcohol, Candelilla Cera/Candelilla Wax, Hydroyethylcellulose, Parfum.Fragrance, Benzoic Acid, Sesamum Indicum Oil/Sesame Seed Oil, Theobroma Cacao Butter/Cocoa Seet Butter, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis Oil/Orange Peel Oil, Limonene, Cedrus Atlantica Oil/Cedrus Atlantica Brark Oil, Tocopherol, Sodium Hydroxide, Eucalyptus Globus Oil/ Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Oil Fmla 1067557KL15

Last edited:

sithembile

I noticed those 2 ingredients are also in the conditioner! Thanks for the review, at least you can take it back.

DarkChyld

I noticed those 2 ingredients are also in the conditioner! Thanks for the review, at least you can take it back.

The conditioner is fine for me. It's the Hair Pak that I found more offensive. I'm going to write to the company about the sodium hydroxide and the excessive alcohols. I know there has to be something better.