Votes: 26 40.6%
  • 3 months +

Votes: 16 25.0%
  • I didn't work for me

Votes: 14 21.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

B3e

Hmmm.... now I thought Biotin was already a B vitamin so wouldn't taking a B Complex vitamin on top of Biotin be like taking a double dose? :ohwell:
So does anyone know if Biotin is the same as taking a B Complex vitamin?

I had also wondered the same thing for the longest that's why I didn't want to try a b-complex, but actually its not a double dose in my case (spring valley biotin/super b-complex) because my complex has 3.8mcg...yes mcg...1% DV. I think because the complex is for metabolism and biotin is for hair skin and nails, its not necessarily needed. But it's been a while since I took O Chem/Bio so I could be wrong but it seems to be the logical assumption.

I'm not sure if all b-complexes are the same though but I would assume if they are targeted at boosting the metabolism, biotin is still not necessary for it to do what it seeks to do. :perplexed:

KurlyNinja

M, you stopped the Biotin? Now you're doing B-Complex (I have some of those already). I didn't go back and read the whole thread. Thanks girl

I'm taking the B-Complex with the Biotin. I should have stated that the B-complex also has other components as well. I list the ingredient list.

Vitamin A - 5000IU
Vitamin C - 60mg
Vitamin D - 400IU
Vitamin E - 30 IU

Now these are essential B vitamins that are listed. These are the only B vitamins you need to survive. I'm currently taking a Nutrition class (requirement for core curriculum class at my university). There is a difference between essential an NON-essential vitamins. Essential vitamins are vitamins you need that your body can not make on its own and needs to take them from an outside source. Then there are non-essential vitamins that you need, but your body can make on its own. Biotin is a non-essential vitamin therefore not listed in most B-complex vitamins or any multi-vitamin supplements for that matter. Our body makes the most biotin when we are younger to help us with growth. We then again get another splurge at puberty. Other than that - it is not NEEDED.

B Vitamins in my B-complex

Thiamin - 1.5mg
Riboflavin - 1.7mg
Niacin - 20mg
Vitamin B6 - 2mg
Folic Acid - 400mcg
Vitamin B12 - 6mcg
Pantothenic Acid - 10mg

LittleLuxe

are there any topical treatments with biotin that can be used on edges? cuz poppin a pill and getting nasty acne scares me. ♥

There are some biotin shampoos and conditioners being sold at GNC and Vitamin Shoppe. You can also still pop a pill and dissolve it in water and simply pour it over your head in the shower. Some ladies have done that and said their shedding decreased significantly.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
There are some biotin shampoos and conditioners being sold at GNC and Vitamin Shoppe. You can also still pop a pill and dissolve it in water and simply pour it over your head in the shower. Some ladies have done that and said their shedding decreased significantly.
I want the positive things that biotin has to offer but I suffer with acne already so I'm afraid to include this in my regimen aside from the fact that I'm very cautious of taking pills as I don't know how they will impact my health/liver in the long term...great suggestion though about applying it directly to the hair.

CurlyMoo

for the bumps take a bcomplex. biotin is a part of the bcomplex family. I'm up to at least 13mg of biotin a day, with MSM.. and yes, i'm getting thick, and consistent growth - for once. I never realized how much i need this supplement. Using MSM/biotin together, there has been significant improvement in my eyebrows, skin, hair and nails.

As long as i take B complex, i don't have any acne problems.

This took about 1 year to finally see consistent results.

To be honest, the title of this thread damn near scared the crap out of me.

The bolded may be why I'm starting to break out. I ran out of B Complex a few weeks ago. But I'm still taking my Biotin and MSM. I also slacked off on the water intake for a week now. :nono:

Ms Kain

......To answer the whole B-complex vitamin question. No B-complex does not have Biotin in it. B-complex has the essential B Vitamins. Meaning the ones we need in order to live.......

ETA: Things I have seen though is faster nail growth. My nails are also extremely hard. My leg hair and arm hair are growing something serious! I've never seen this before. But its still not so bad that I'll stop using biotin.

Oh ok! Thanks Miryoku! I think that was what my confusion was. Somewhere along the way I must've read that Biotin was a type of Vitamin B and just assumed it was the same thing. This is good to know....

As for the nail growth, this is the most significant nail growth I have ever seen and that wasn't even my goal! But you know how it is, chances are high that if I'd started taking Biotin because I wanted my nails to grow, I'd probably start seeing less nail growth and even more hair growth! Sometimes that's just how it is! LOL! :grin: